HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

thn's top 10 hab prospects

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 03:09 AM
DEBASER

vCash: 500
thn's top 10 hab prospects

have you guys seen the hockey news' future watch issue yet? i thought their rankings were a little strange for habs prospects.

they ranked our top 10 as follows:

1. kastsystin
2. komisarek
3. higgins
4. perezhogin
5. hossa
6. hainsey
7. urquhart
8. lambert
9. lapierre
10. balej

no plekanek? lambert at no 8 ahead of balej? are urquhart, lambert, and lapierre really that good?

Old
02-16-2004, 04:27 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBASER
no plekanek? lambert at no 8 ahead of balej? are urquhart, lambert, and lapierre really that good?
thn has a bias towards north americans, but yes they are decent prospects

Old
02-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Mike8

Does THN have a bias for North Americans? If so, why is Komisarek not #1?

Plekanec going unranked in the top 10 is mind boggling. He is sure fire top 5, in my books.

I'm no fan of Lambert, so I don't see him cracking my top 15. But that may be a bias on my part.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:10 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'm no fan of Lambert, so I don't see him cracking my top 15. But that may be a bias on my part.
Yes it is, I don't think we have 15 prospects better than he is. He may not be top 5, but after that the playing field evens out.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:35 AM
felixd

The best thing about the THN's future watch was that the habs was the team with the most prospects in the top 50.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBASER
have you guys seen the hockey news' future watch issue yet? i thought their rankings were a little strange for habs prospects.

they ranked our top 10 as follows:

1. kastsystin
2. komisarek
3. higgins
4. perezhogin
5. hossa
6. hainsey
7. urquhart
8. lambert
9. lapierre
10. balej

Well I myself have never been a big fan of THN, but it's hard to put together any list, cause after the top 5 or so, it becomes much more debateable, thus opinions will vary.

It does look kind of funny when you see Urquhart, Lambert and Lapierre all in order, playing for the same team and all.

Plus I don't consider Komo a prospect, he's a rookie now, imo (almost 50 games in the NHL, plus 70 or so in the AHL).

And not having Plekanec is a joke and makes the list hard to put much stock in. He's having another solid season, as he continues to show good progression. He has to be in our top 10 for sure, as he has a lot of skills just needs to play with more consistency and add some strength.

Korpikari, O'Byrne and Korneev are all up there, imo, and any of them would fit fine at 10th.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:02 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Yes it is, I don't think we have 15 prospects better than he is. He may not be top 5, but after that the playing field evens out.

This is where I see Lambert,

1. Andrei Kastsitsyn, LW

2. Alex Perezhogin, RW

3. Chris Higgins, C

4. Tomas Plekanec, C

5. Ron Hainsey, D

6. Jozef Balej, RW

7. Cory Urquhart, C

8. Marcel Hossa, LW

9. Konstantin Korneev, D

10. Maxim Lapierre, C

11. Oskari Korpikari, D

12. Ryan O'Byrne, D

13. Michael Lambert, LW

14. Jaroslav Halak, G

15. Jonathan Ferland RW

With Locke, Milroy right up there. I may have Urquhart too high, but I am very impressed with his skills just concerned over his lack of physical play.

Korneev may be too high, as his size and strength are big question marks, but he had some great hits in last years WJC's.

Lambert I'm not a big fan of, but he's played much better this year, after a disappointing season last year. I think we'll have to see how he does in the AHL (assuming he gets signed, cause I'd be shocked if he wasn't inked before June 1st unless he asks for too much money) He doesn't seem like the kind of player that will pay the price, but if he finds a way to score, it may be overlooked in the AHL.

I have a tough time putting Ferland over Locke, but I'm a big fan of Ferland's game, as he is good along the boards and drives to net. Plus he plays phsyical and has a decent shot. Locke could end up being a very underrated prospect, but it's so hard to say, cause he's clearly playing in the wrong league. We will know more over the next two years (assuming he's signed and plays in Hamilton, can't see him going back to the OHL next year unless it's for lock out reasons) But I can't wait to see how he does in the AHL over most of all our prospects, cause his upside can be very big, or AHL All Star kind.

Milroy I am a big fan of, but he's had a little trouble adjusting to the AHL game, and in the games I was at, he didnt play that well (but in the tv games he's looked better) I think we'll see a lot better Milroy next season, which would be great to see, cause he also has a lot of skill, and a great shot when he uses it.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 152
ridiculous list from thn .

I like your rankings Montreal , i would put Ferland a bit more higher .

Old
02-16-2004, 12:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
ridiculous list from thn .

I like your rankings Montreal , i would put Ferland a bit more higher .

I had Ferland at 13th and Lambert at 15th, but I switched them cause Lambert has a lot of skill, even though I feel Ferland could be more effective in the NHL (assuming either ever make the NHL) Ferland's skating/speed is a bit of a concern, but if Ward did, I have faith Ferland can too. Lambert if he gets more physical, could surprise a lot of people. He has a great shot, just not the smartest hockey sense or hardest worker.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Corey

A list that still considers Komisarek a prospect has no credibility.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:03 PM
BlackJack21

The problem of THN is that they are biased by the age...

They consider an under 20 years old prospect better that an over 20 years old prospect automaticly if they are near (or almost near) the same level of talent.

BJ21

Old
02-16-2004, 02:31 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack21
The problem of THN is that they are biased by the age...

They consider an under 20 years old prospect better that an over 20 years old prospect automaticly if they are near (or almost near) the same level of talent.

BJ21
Alot of the time that is correct. If the 18 year old is performing just as well as the 22 year old, the 18 year old has taken 4 less years to achieve the same level of success. Considering players hit their prime at around 26 years of age, it is likely that the 18 year old, who has 4 extra years to improve before he hits his peak, will be a better player. Of course every player is different, and exceptions have happened, but the odds are they will be right most of the time using this tactic.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Marchy79

Ya I thought the THN list was pretty lame... I had high hopes on reading a good list compilation, but instead i got fed crap, an utterly horrible list IMHO... Their top 10 (in the top 50) was rediculous... Lehtonen maybe as # 1 prospect, as he's been sharp in his NA debut... But Phaneuf as # 2??? No way. followed by Miller and Vanek? Vanek from most accounts has been struggling and Miller is IMO a good prospect, but #3??? IMO they also burned Kastsitsyn before giving him a chance to prove himself.

This list had too much hype grabbing at high end slots rather than basing it on what it should have been based on... Talent.

As for our own list... I would've expected Hainsey over Hossa in the top 5... He is potentially one of the better prospects in the league, as his ceiling is still decent...

Urquhart deserves his spot... But Balej deserves to be higher.

Then the team rankings... Our team, which in terms of prospects have a couple of blue-chippers, and quality picks ranks 11th out of 30? we fell from 5th to 11th, yet we have one of the best AHL clubs, as well as some very intriguing talent playing elsewhere (I.E. Montreal, overseas, CHL)... IMO if Corey Locke can't crack our top 10... we should be higher than 11th.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 152
Miller is doing wonder in the AHL he's definetly top 3 ....

Old
02-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Miller is doing wonder in the AHL he's definetly top 3 ....
Sure but so is Balej and he's not even in the top 100

Old
02-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Mike8

Quote:

It is bias? Definitively? There's no chance that Lambert really isn't that good? Why is he definitively a top 10 prospect?

I've seen Lambert play plenty. I will admit his style of play isn't a style I enjoy, which is where bias may play a part. But it's also a style I don't see translating to NHL success, which is why I don't enjoy it.

Heck, I like Milroy about as much as I like Lambert, but I can see Milroy translating his game to the NHL.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Why is he definitively a top 10 prospect?
Top 10? Maybe not, but like I said, I don't think we have 15 prospects better than him. After the top 5 or 6 prospects, all the others have flaws like lack of toughness, slow, small, attitude... In other words: they're all projects for different reasons. Some are closer to the NHL than others, but most are still years away. Lambert has as much of a chance as the rest of them.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:45 PM
J F M

From all the bad mouthing of the THN Future Watch I get the distinct impression that none here have read or have one in their possession. If you think that THN Habs top 10 list is totally wrong, you're venting at the wrong people. And I quote... " The Hockey News sets the guidelines and facilitates the results. In preparing the ranking, we consult with each team's top talent evaluator. We ask them to provide a rough sketch of the top 10 prospects in their system regardless of age, nationality, or contract status." This list was provided by the HABS THEMSELVES people!!!!! If anyone here has a bone to pick about this list, I suggest venting at Andre Savard or Trevor Timmins instead.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
JackDaniel

Quote:
Alot of the time that is correct. If the 18 year old is performing just as well as the 22 year old, the 18 year old has taken 4 less years to achieve the same level of success. Considering players hit their prime at around 26 years of age, it is likely that the 18 year old, who has 4 extra years to improve before he hits his peak, will be a better player. Of course every player is different, and exceptions have happened, but the odds are they will be right most of the time using this tactic.
Agree, but THN seems to bee very overating this reality.

This repport is overly based on the last WJC according to me.

JD

Closed Thread