HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Hossa UFA-July 1st Rumors Here Part I

Old
06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Im sure they know what they are doing.If they sign him to that type of deal,I would expect Hossa to make the max next year 10 million so that in 2 years he makes less so when they re-sign Malkin and Staal they should be alright.Right now if Staal plays like he did next year how much do people think he's gonna get 5 -6 mill?People forget that he's more of a defence type player.Also Gonchar's contract will fall in 2 years thats 5 million a year right there.I don't think the Pens will make the same mistake the Bolts made
The cap hit is the average of a contract.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Here's the link to the article stating that he was offered 7 years, 50 mill.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:35 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Sundin, Brisebois, Smolinsky, Bonk... man! I'm getting really tired to see MTL as the last ditch place to play for older and finished players.

Montreal: the geriatric ward of the NHL...

EDIT: the only 'old guy' id take back is Chelios.
Don't get me wrong. I WOULD take Chelios as a 6th defenceman. But he sat out the final games of the playoffs whereas Sundin had over 70 points this season.

Sundin is past his prime but definitely NOT finished!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I'd be shocked if Hossa re-signs before July 1st

He'll wait and see what else is out there

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
What's with this myth again that we need size at center to win the cup? Even if all the centermen from the Wings were less than 6f tall, it doesn't change...

Plekanec and Koivu are fine. Koivu was again a warrior and one of the best player in the playoffs and Plekanec who was in his first real important role in the playoffs ended up with 9pts in 12 game... yes, he wasn't as solid offensively as we would of hoped but look at what Zetterberg and Datsyuk did in their first playoffs... plus Pleks is still excellent defensively...

The problem was the number of missed opportunities by the wingers and don't tell me a guy with an elite finishing touch like Hossa wouldn't bring something the habs need, I mean have you even seen the playoffs, he was an absolute terror around the opposing net and his backcheck is second to none, that's worth a lot of money and GMs, including Gainey, know that.

Would I like Sundin in a habs uniform? Of course, not because he's a center and he's big, but because he's talented, but with him in the lineup we would probably have to move Plekanec on the wing, which would be a bad move for the future... even with 3 great centermen, you need wingers to finish the job and I'm not all sold on Higgins, Lats, the younger Kostitsyn who prefers to pass the puck than shoot it... and who else... Kostopoulos?

Hossa is a great fit for now and the future, he should be priority no1... if he signs elsewhere than yes, look for short term fix, like Sundin, but it wouldn't be as good an acquisition as Hossa would.
Sundin WOULD be a great acquisition and we can solve the centreman problem by putting Sundin on RW with Koivu and Latendresse. Mats would be the perfect mentor to teach Lats how to become a productive power forward.

Old
06-14-2008, 07:58 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Yup, but I was still under the impression that it was more of a temporary measure than anything else, Sergei should be our 5th top 6 winger for the time being. (Well he would if we can get Hossa.)

AK - Pleckanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Hossa
Latendresse-Chipchura-SK
Begin Lapierre Kostopoulos
AK-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-Sundin
Higgins-Chipchura-SK
Streit-Begin/Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Old
06-14-2008, 08:07 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
AK-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-Sundin
Higgins-Chipchura-SK
Streit-Begin/Lapierre-Kostopoulos
After all those years of needing a big sized skilled center we would get one and you would put him on the wing...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Because Lemieux (as much as I love the guy) is desperate for a cup win, and he wants it soon, why? Because Pitts is in financial trouble and they want to win at least 1 cup before something bad happens, like being bought out and relocated.
Yeah, afterall Jim Balsillie bought the team, so we're definitely going to Canada.

The best part of the post is that you say it with such confidence. Like you actually know what you're talking about

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Actually this is a rumour from a Pittsburgh newspaper. You can read many of them on the Pens board. They are all talking f this.

Some are thinking that:
  • Hossa will sign for less to stay with the Pens;
  • Malkin will sign for less (than Crosby) to stay with the Pens;
  • Fleury will sign long term for 3-4M;
  • Malone can go unless he asks for 2M;
  • Orpik is not so important (he is their Komi - a top-3 with Gonchar and Letang).
This would be living in the ideal world for Penguins fans. Unfortunately, we live in the real world, bot the ideal one.

I'd be incredibly surprised if Hossa signs before july 1st with a 2-3M dollar discount. No doubt he can get 9-10M somewhere.

Malkin already mentioned he won't be talking a hometown discount just so Crosby would be the best payed player.

I don't think Shero is dumb enough to mess up the bright future of his team. So he does decide to sign Hossa, i have a strong feeling Malkin will be on the move because they have to sign Fleury and next year Stall.

I doubt every single player will agree to a hometown discount, that seems very Walt Disney like.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
After all those years of needing a big sized skilled center we would get one and you would put him on the wing...
agreed, IF mats comes ---- centre

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:31 PM
sampollock

if the pens sign those 4 guys, huge coin,

they are a 4 man team at best,

Old
06-14-2008, 08:34 PM
RE-HABS

If they sign Malkin long term and Hossa as well the only reason they keep Fleury is because of the arbitration and they lose Staal or trade him and lose Orpik and Malone for nothing.

You can't pin all your cash on 3-4 ponies...Tampa proved that.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
It's the other threads....it's an offer....for now nothing more. Please change your title it's highly misleading.
I love people who always act like moderators, a real pleasure to have on message boards.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If they sign Malkin long term and Hossa as well the only reason they keep Fleury is because of the arbitration and they lose Staal or trade him and lose Orpik and Malone for nothing.

good point!

Old
06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Its a new tactic to surprise the other teams; no one will expect it. Not a bit! Man will we surprise them...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:43 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

tampa proved you cant overpay players and then on top of it not spend to the cap... its completely different

crosby,malkin,hossa>>> lecavalier,st. louis,richards

lecavalier is the only one who deserves that kind of money

there have been countless threads on how it can work, do some research. i know that having money into a certain few players is risky, but if it is really hurting the team you can make trades. its just that these players make others better, where as in tampa only one really made others better, and ownership did nothing to help that.. they just wanted their ticket sellers to make their money.

i'm not anti habs or anything so im not saying this out of spite. its just that these types of things can be made to work with the right kinds of players. not to mention you get sykora types that will come and go for less money to play with players like crosby and malkin.

i personally like the situation the penguins are in, and im interested to see how it all plays out. i just wish other people would quit being so negative towards it and actually think more in depth.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
We have the right tools, we just need the power-player, that key to make everyone flourish, If we get Malkin, Hossa, Staal, or Lecavalier, anyone of that nature, we would be set for a long time.

Hopefully sooner rather than later we get someone like that.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
tampa proved you cant overpay players and then on top of it not spend to the cap... its completely different

there have been countless threads on how it can work, do some research. i know that having money into a certain few players is risky, but if it is really hurting the team you can make trades. its just that these players make others better, where as in tampa only one really made others better, and ownership did nothing to help that.. they just wanted their ticket sellers to make their money.

i'm not anti habs or anything so im not saying this out of spite. its just that these types of things can be made to work with the right kinds of players. not to mention you get sykora types that will come and go for less money to play with players like crosby and malkin.

i personally like the situation the penguins are in, and im interested to see how it all plays out. i just wish other people would quit being so negative towards it and actually think more in depth.
It's also smart to have at least one of these high paid players on defense.
We saw how weak Pittsburgh was on D and it became horrible when Gonchar got injured.
Whitney is good, but not a franchise D, not as of today at least.

Id be looking to bulk up the D if I was Shero, Offense is not a question even without Hossa.
Id make a pitch for Rozival, Campbell or Redden instead.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

I'd deal Staal away for a strong D like bouwmester or someone of that nature.

Old
06-14-2008, 09:08 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
I'd deal Staal away for a strong D like bouwmester or someone of that nature.
i honestly do think staal is the odd one out.

gm's get paid to do these kinds of things though so we'll all see soon what goes down and how it will work out.

good luck this season guys. hope kovy stays productive, he was always one of my favorite pens and is still one of my favorite players.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:09 PM
sampollock

is staal is out, let's take him

ahahhaah

Old
06-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post

Of course you can sign all three however its not really 3 now is it. Pitts wants Hossa, Malkin, Crosby, Staal, and Fleury.

It can be done however like TB at what expense to the rest of the team? I have no doubt Pitts can sign all of them but then you start thinking how they fill in the other gaps. Its not so much as doubting it can happen but more on why you wouldn't be more interested in getting some pillars on defense when offense isn't the problem.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
is staal is out, let's take him

ahahhaah
Yeah they'd want Hammer, Komi, or one of our best prospects for Staal.

Old
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Yeah they'd want Hammer, Komi, or one of our best prospects for Staal.
i know,

bob will do something,

100 year for the habs, he will try

Old
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Staal certainly would become one of our #1 players, he'd play on our first line thats for sure. Who knows, I just feel something BIG will happen to the habs this year.