HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Hossa UFA-July 1st Rumors Here Part I

Old
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Don't worry... Hossa is not stupid enough to bite on this... He know if he waits 2 more weeks he will make many more millions while still playing for a contending team, no matter if it's Boston, Montreal, Detroit or NYR.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Who really cares.... Hossa is OVERATED

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
tampa proved you cant overpay players and then on top of it not spend to the cap... its completely different

crosby,malkin,hossa>>> lecavalier,st. louis,richards

lecavalier is the only one who deserves that kind of money

there have been countless threads on how it can work, do some research. i know that having money into a certain few players is risky, but if it is really hurting the team you can make trades. its just that these players make others better, where as in tampa only one really made others better, and ownership did nothing to help that.. they just wanted their ticket sellers to make their money.

i'm not anti habs or anything so im not saying this out of spite. its just that these types of things can be made to work with the right kinds of players. not to mention you get sykora types that will come and go for less money to play with players like crosby and malkin.

i personally like the situation the penguins are in, and im interested to see how it all plays out. i just wish other people would quit being so negative towards it and actually think more in depth.
The reason it didn't work for Tampa was because of their pathetic drafting. They were unable to support their "big three" as they not only had minimal money for the rest of their roster but they had no good players coming up and that resulted in them signing or trading for guys like Jason Ward.

Pittsburgh's drafting is better than Tampa's but it's not close to being good. Sure they had a couple good picks like Letang and Talbot but all their excellent picks were just because they had high picks and the stars we're given to them. The only way they'll be able to stay successful is by greatly improving their drafting. I never even noticed til now but they also have Whitney locked up for 4 more years at $4 million per year also...
Crosby 8.7
Whitney 4
Malkin around 8
Hossa around 7.5
Fleury around 3.5

Over 30 million tied up into 5 players and that's not including Staal who will also be getting a raise soon. If we had money tied up into 5 stars like that taking up over half our salary cap I wouldn't be as worried as our drafting is exceptional and we'd be able to fill the holes with young talent, but Pittsburgh will be filling their bottom lines and d-pairings with more journeymen like Kris Beech and Alain Nasreddine if they don't find a way to improve their scouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Who really cares.... Hossa is OVERATED
Uhh, watch him play. He is not only sick offensively but he is excellent defensively.

Before these playoffs I was skeptical about him as he never really elevated his game come playoff time, but he really stepped up and showed that he is an elite player in the league and that he deserves to be paid like one.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Uhh, watch him play. He is not only sick offensively but he is excellent defensively.

Before these playoffs I was skeptical about him as he never really elevated his game come playoff time, but he really stepped up and showed that he is an elite player in the league and that he deserves to be paid like one.
Personaly I think Hossa can be a game breaker....but he dosent control nor dictate the pace of the game.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:53 PM
MathMan

Personally I wouldn't bet the franchise on a trade for Jordan Staal. I think he is a wee bit overrated, and while he might develop into a franchise player, it won't be for a few more years.

As for this year's free agent market... sigh. Not looking good, is it? Sundin to TO or DET, Hossa to PIT, Rolston stays in Minny...

Much as I hate to say it, I'm starting to think that Gainey will be unable to sign any of the grade A guys, and either have to trade for his impact player, which he might not be able to do either.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Let's say :

Hossa signs in Pittsburgh
Sundin stays in Toronto
Jagr stays in NYC
Rolston stays put in Minnesota

Who would you guys go after?

Couldn't Malone, Huselius, Vrbata, Naslund, Demitra, Brunette, Stillman, Prospal, Straka, Morrison, Holik, Fedorov, Cooke, Nagy be useful and help our team?

And that is in the worst case... In my opinion two of the 4 big names I named above are going to hit the open market on July 1st.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Second or third line.
Koivu and Plek > Staal.
Nah, Staal is probably the same level as they are and he's got tons of potential to boot.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
How can they spend so much money on Crosby, Hossa and still to be signed Malkin and Fleury.
Russian press had rumored that Malkin's most likely to be traded during the summer... don't know what it's worth...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Let's say :

Hossa signs in Pittsburgh
Sundin stays in Toronto
Jagr stays in NYC
Rolston stays put in Minnesota

Who would you guys go after?

Couldn't Malone, Huselius, Vrbata, Naslund, Demitra, Brunette, Stillman, Prospal, Straka, Morrison, Holik, Fedorov, Cooke, Nagy be useful and help our team?

And that is in the worst case... In my opinion two of the 4 big names I named above are going to hit the open market on July 1st.
AK46 Plekanec Kovalev
Higgins Koivu Brunette
Latendresse Morrison SK
Lapierre Chipchura Kostopoulos

If we are unable to land some of the big guns I think a lineup like this could be pretty decent. Brunette adds some grit and offense to Koivu's line and Morrison is a solid 2-way player who is good at faceoffs which is another Habs need.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This would be living in the ideal world for Penguins fans. Unfortunately, we live in the real world, bot the ideal one.

I'd be incredibly surprised if Hossa signs before july 1st with a 2-3M dollar discount. No doubt he can get 9-10M somewhere.

Malkin already mentioned he won't be talking a hometown discount just so Crosby would be the best payed player.
No he didn't. In fact, he said the opposite.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
No he didn't. In fact, he said the opposite.
Hossa said he would sign in Pittsburgh for a hometown discount, which is like 7ish mill and Malkin isn't guaranteed to sign for less than Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsn.ca
Malkin told the newspaper he does not need to exceed the $8.7 million salary of captain Sidney Croby but sources tell TSN the likely target for Malkin is a five-year deal worth more than $9 million per season.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
How is an top 5 pointer in the NHL (last 5 years added together, he's was 3rd by the start of the season) underproductive?
66 points in 72 games? Yes the guy can produce with Crosby, big woop. I'd rather wait and sign a real superstar... He's better than Briere, but I don't want him locked up for 5-6+ years and then not be able to sign what we truly need.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:52 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I think Vrbata and Nagy could fit the bill and bring some interesting elements to the table.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Jacob

That article cites the Pittsburgh Star-Review, which doesn't actually exist.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

The problem with Tampa was that they had nothing in between. The Pens have a LOT in between. So even if you pay a lot for three guys you still have a team with guys like Malone and Staal and Gonchar.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Treating it purely as unsourced speculation, I think both sides would be smart to take the deal. $50M/7 years is perhaps $1M less per year than Hossa could reasonably expect to get on a long-term deal. Maybe $2M less per year than what he could get on a shorter deal. But being on the Team Of Destiny with Crosby and Malkin ought to be worth a lot to a player. It's certainly nice money and a lot of security in a pretty choice location, so Hossa wouldn't be dumb to take that kind of lower salary IMHO.

Same time, I think the case against the Penguins' salary structure typically gets overstated. Crosby and Malkin will probably be looking pretty significantly underpaid a few years into their big contracts. They probably lose Malone and/or Orpik in the extreme short term if they sign Hossa, but who knows, that might have happened anyway.

I don't think I'd want Hossa on a 7-year deal with the Habs. It's a pretty rare player who warrants that term, IMHO, particularly when they're coming in from outside the organization. I'd be indifferent about him signing for that in Pittsburgh. Sundin is still the guy I'd go after as my #1 priority anyway.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:33 AM
sampollock

lets face it, hossa has to consider playing beside crosby for the next 7 years...

that can't be bad for his career either?????????????????????????????

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:59 AM
infinitesadd

Another thread full of penguins speculation with just tons of fail.

infinitesadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Iwishihadacup

why do I see a complete turnaround around here?!?

2 weeks ago it was Hossa nothing else... Now it is no Hossa more Sundin?!?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
sampollock

it will change again, everytime one of these players signs elsewhere.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
AK-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-Sundin
Higgins-Chipchura-SK
Streit-Begin/Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Koivu should be a winger if we get Sundin, but I still widely prefer Hossa to Sundin because he doesn't change the culture of our team that much, he's just an extra elite asset that would fit right in and fill some well identified needs.

Needs:

- Someone to give more place to Kovalev in matchups situations. With Hossa the others team would not have the choice to cover him instead of Kovy. Since it's the same wing the effect is even stronger. We all know what a "free Kovy" can do.

- Improve the PK, that wasn't too good this year. Hopefully Chipchura can contribute as well.

- Someone that can score more goals at even strength.

- Someone to relieve the pressure off Koivu a bit, I think Saku could play with less pressure and hopefully become more consistent and less tired at the middle of the year.

- Hossa is the perfect mentor for Hossa 2.0, Andrei Kostitsyn. They play the same game, Hossa can probably teach 1 things or 2 to Andrei and others players. Hes an elite talent.

Sundin doesnt change the matchups for Kovalev.
Sundin isnt exactly as good as Hossa on the PK.
Sundin can score more goals at even strenght.
Sundin would allow Koivu to play RW.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The problem with Tampa was that they had nothing in between. The Pens have a LOT in between. So even if you pay a lot for three guys you still have a team with guys like Malone and Staal and Gonchar.
Lot in between? Sorry but they don't have a lot in between (and if they sign Hossa Dupuis, Laraque, Malone et Orpik are probably gone) and they won't be able to afford a more decent in between anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesadd View Post
Another thread full of penguins speculation with just tons of fail.
Hello ! the Penguins board is this way ---------------------->

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-15-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
No longer Russian press. Now Pittsburgh press.

It is not only about salary cap. It is about availibility of ice time.
Malkin has to give first center spot to Crosby.

meanwhile, they could get top-D.
i would be willing to give up ALOT to get Evgeni Malkin.

If the Habs are looking for a forward to build around (Kovy and Saku not getting any younger) then Malkin is the place to begin an end .Let him be a superstar

If he is available package up some of our good top prospects and deal for him .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Artyukhin*

also id lock him up long term .

Malkin 10 years 10 million dollar per season should make him happy.

Old
06-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Would you give Higgins + Komi + McDonagh?
That is the kind of deal they would be looking for...

I would not, we have a balanced offense that ended up being the first in the league.

But the impact of this rumour on the negociation will be either a NTC for Malkin or giving him a higher salary than Crosby.
Something like 10M...

how much would we need to give up to get Crosby? Ovy or Vinny.
If they were available it would cost you the moon .

Malkin is on the same level and yes the price would be steep but IMHO you have to pull the trigger as his upside and his ability to carry the club for many years is worth more that what we were going to lose.

Price in net should set us up long term

Malkin up front sets us long term and is a dominate game breaking forward one in the like we havent had in a very lonnng time .

Losin Komo hurts But its the price you need to pay .