HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens' 2009-10 Salary Cap/Lineup Discussion (UPDATED: June 13)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

vCash: 500
I still see room for Curtis Brown or Stephane Yelle.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
johnniewalker

If we could unload Sydor and re-sign Taffe for league minimum in place of Veilleux, we could have a bit over $4 million in cap room. If you put Caputi's $833,333 back into the pot, we'd have damn near $5 million. I can't imagine Shero getting within $1 million of the cap, so the absolute maximum the Pens could squeeze towards a contract at this point would be $4 mil.

I don't think anyone that we could get for that would really be worth the trouble. We would be up against the cap like Peter North on a cervix.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Der Schweinehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Good call. There is still a dearth of good faceoff folks on the team.

Of course I don't think I have seen anyone raise Peca's name yet. (More expensive than these two, but might be had for about $1M)

Old
07-03-2008, 08:33 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
I still can't believe we're paying 2 million + for Gill, Eaton, and Sydor. What a way to eat up cap space.
Would you rather pay 3 million for Jeff Finger?

Salarys have escalated this year. It's not Shero's fault really. And the big ticket RFAs/UFAs he has signed have all been for decent prices. Some even below market value.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
We would be up against the cap like Peter North on a cervix.
!!!!!!

Old
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Jacob

Quote:
I'll take Curtis Brown if you please. He's superb on faceoffs and will make about 800k or less.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schweinehund View Post
Good call. There is still a dearth of good faceoff folks on the team.

Of course I don't think I have seen anyone raise Peca's name yet. (More expensive than these two, but might be had for about $1M)
I thought about him whilst researching some names and coming up with those two, but from what I can gather, he's signing in Columbus any moment now.

I also had Marty Reasoner. But then I saw on NHL.com he had like 30 hits last season. I'd always thought he was a bruiser.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Am I the only one who WANTS Cooke? The guy's had over 400 hits combined the past 2 years and can pot the odd goal. Shouldn't break the bank, either.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Bit of an assclown though, isn't he?

Old
07-03-2008, 10:12 PM
SarahCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I don't think anyone that we could get for that would really be worth the trouble. We would be up against the cap like Peter North on a cervix.
yummy.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
Am I the only one who WANTS Cooke? The guys had over 400 hits combined the past 2 years and can pot the odd goal. Shouldn't break the bank, either.
Definitely, I've always liked Cooke. However, I don't think the rumored 1.6m figure is realistic. I think he'll make more than that, and I'm not sure he'd be worth it if we're talking 2 million or more.

He's a younger Ruutu with quicker feet and better hands. I think he'll be able to get more than just 300k more than what Ruutu got.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Yeah. I would agree with that.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Yes he is, and I have no problem with that.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Well, fair enough.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Well, fair enough.
Haha, this is a team that has had Ulf, Darius and Jarkko on it, afterall.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Definitely, I've always liked Cooke. However, I don't think the rumored 1.6m figure is realistic. I think he'll make more than that, and I'm not sure he'd be worth it if we're talking 2 million or more.

He's a younger Ruutu with quicker feet and better hands. I think he'll be able to get more than just 300k more than what Ruutu got.
I've thought of that, but if the Pens could find a taker for Sydor, they could sign Cooke with Sydor's money (not even sure it would take the whole $2.5 million to sign him) and they'd lose a guy who would likely be scratched most of the time in favour of a guy who will be a reguilar contributer to the team and add some of the grit we lost this offseason. Then, they're still about $4 million under the cap which is enough breathing room IMO to add some flexibilty.

Besides, even if it's a 2 year deal, They lose Satan's, Fedotenko's and Gill's contracts next year (Sykora's too, but I'm hoping he'll be brought back). That's almost a combined $10.5 million dollars, the cap should increase as well. Malkin's present cap hit is 3.9 (I think) so it will only go up $5 million more, while Staal's hit is 2.2 now (again, I think) and could likely go up only 2 more. That's an added 7 for those 2 guys, leaving 3.5 million, plus another 3-4 due to the cap rise. Lets say 7, add in the 4 we have under the cap right now, and Pittsburgh would still be in decent shape being $11 million under the cap after Staal and Malkin's contracts kick in. But, guys like Talbot and Kennedy might be up too, I'm not sure. Either way, I can't possibly see a guy like Gaborik being signed next season. It will likely be guys like Satan and Fedotenko again. The year after though, all the main guys will be signed (Malkin, Fleury, Crosby, Whitney, Orpik and hopefully Staal long term) and people like Gonchar and his $5 million and Eaton and his $2 million (and in my theory, Cooke and his $2 million+) plus other guys unforseen as of now will be gone, with likely another cap increase. THAT's when we can start bringing in even more guys. It's going to be tough this year and likely next too, but for the next 5 years, it should get easier and easier to build a deep team.

Looking at it now, I'm VERY happy that Hossa WASN'T brought back. His $7.5 million per year would have cost us Satan, Fedotenko and likely Orpik too. I don't know about you, but those three are greater than 1 Hossa, no matter how good Hossa is. We have two superstars already, what we need is good solid depth. Signing a Hossa right now is NOT the answer, and neither is signing a Jagr unless he signs an absolutely cheap contract ($4 million or less) that just can't be passed up, which I doubt he will. Shero has done an amazing job so far with what he's had to work with. He tried to make signing Hossa work, but it would have made Pittsburgh a lesser team in the short term, as weird as that sounds. You never finish the season with the exact same roster you started it with, so being a few million dollars beneath the cap is very important. Signing Hossa would have made us weaker in terms of depth and in many other roles as well. Signing Jagr will do the same as of now.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:32 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

since debate has already begun about the future, the chart is now updated to add the next two seasons after the upcoming one.

what would be very nice is if the cap were to jump up the same amount next offseason -- that right there would basically take care of malkin's new deal.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
Am I the only one who WANTS Cooke? The guy's had over 400 hits combined the past 2 years and can pot the odd goal. Shouldn't break the bank, either.
I think he's a luxury this team can't afford. The Pens are pretty close to the cap already and they still need to add another Top 6 winger.

If in the next day or two Shero manages to find himself another discount scorer and there's still room for Matt Cooke, then hell yeah.

Old
07-04-2008, 09:09 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

one more winger please, and im happy with the offseason.

sucks losing hossa, but we kept key parts for the long haul, and we signed a few guys that can contribute regularly.

this season will be interesting indeed

Old
07-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Jaded-Fan

So our current cap commitments are an aggregate $53 million/ a $56 million cap. And we may not be done yet. Where are the trolls who kept telling us the Pens would never spend to the cap when we kept telling them that the Pens have promised us just that from preseason on last year? That we would never keep our drafted core long term and that it would start to break apart as everyone signed for the cap max hit, starting this offseason? I would love to hear from some of them.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

How about Shanny for under 2 a year. I dont know if that TIOPS site is legit or not, they have however nailed quiet a few things so far this Free agency, they are reporting Shanny has called Shero and wants to play for t he pens, also that he would play in the 1.8 range. If we signed him we can give him a salary like 1.8 and even if we had to add in bonuses we would be able to pay them out towards next years cap.

Cooke wouldnt be a bad grab either, he hits and agitates. We definitely need someone like that. I was hoping that Stone could be that guy for us this year, I gotta think the kid is about ready to come play in the big league.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
How about Shanny for under 2 a year. I dont know if that TIOPS site is legit or not, they have however nailed quiet a few things so far this Free agency, they are reporting Shanny has called Shero and wants to play for t he pens, also that he would play in the 1.8 range. If we signed him we can give him a salary like 1.8 and even if we had to add in bonuses we would be able to pay them out towards next years cap.

Cooke wouldnt be a bad grab either, he hits and agitates. We definitely need someone like that. I was hoping that Stone could be that guy for us this year, I gotta think the kid is about ready to come play in the big league.
Shanny at $1.8 mil would be a great addition as long as he would accept the lesser role he would have on this team. And would leave us a similar just a bit under $2 million breathing room for trade deadline, etc.

Old
07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
The Old Master

unless we move someone i think we are done adding for now ...3 mil. isn't much room in this day and age

Old
07-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
unless we move someone i think we are done adding for now ...3 mil. isn't much room in this day and age
Actually, if all the reports that we signed Janne Pesonen are true it is even less. I doubt he gets a contract anywhere near that $3 mil in space, but still likely lop likely something maybe even as much as half of that space off with that signing.

As a note, Shero deserves some real props on how this team is set up. No one overpaid, most a bit of a bargain, so we got real value for our max cap hit, maybe more than any team in the league. And the next three years our core is nailed down with diminishing cap hits of around $40 and then $30 million to allow max flexibility to surround that core with more players who would come here on Sykora type deals. That is good GM'ing.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

He definitely worth anything under 2 million. A mini Sean Avery.

Closed Thread