HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens' 2009-10 Salary Cap/Lineup Discussion (UPDATED: June 13)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

vCash: 500
A mini Sean Avery? Isn't Avery small enough already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
How about Shanny for under 2 a year.
He's done. All areas of his game, including grit, have fallen off.

Old
07-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
By "mini" he means similar style player, just not as good. Cooke is larger than Avery is.

Old
07-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
By "mini" he means similar style player, just not as good. Cooke is larger than Avery is.
I know, I'm just being a *******.

Old
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Sotty

Fedotenko gets $2.25 Mio according to the PG and nhlpa.com:

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=7209

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08186/894790-61.stm

Old
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
many thanks. i was confused because the PG initially had $2.5mil, as did TSN. the only place i had seen the 2.25 number was on chip's calculations.

well, a few more bucks free now. could be a day or two till we hear about pesonen.

Old
07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
infinitesadd

I love the situation we are in as far as 09-10, and 10-11. These 1 year deals are going to free up the cash necessary to make a run at a real star winger, given the cap going up each year.

Old
07-04-2008, 06:09 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

He's done. All areas of his game, including grit, have fallen off.
agree on shanny. i think he's pretty washed up at this point. i could pretty easily predict this board next february at the deadline giving him the sydor treatment... bemoaning that one important trade that will never be because shanahan is eating up that precious cap space.

as for cooke... seems likely he'll go somewhere else that can give him a little more cash. i really think they'll be giving stone his push this summer. hopefully he realizes this is his best chance to actually crack the roster and stick around.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

welp, was dead wrong on cooke. added him to the charts now. good on shero for getting him at that price. that makes 21 roster spots more or less spoken for, not including pesonen (possibly). i think pesonen will have a better shot at making the team than some of these WBS guys because he might actually be able to play top 6 down the road.

cooke basically makes stone an AHLer for another year. when pesonen's numbers are released, he'll probably be #22 on the roster, leaving a last small contract for the taffe/brent ilk. i think they'll bring taffe back.

when it's all said and done, i think the pens will have a little over $1mil of cap space when the season opens, assuming no trades are made. maybe about $1.2mil.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Ray Shero did say, he was going to have to make some moves with the defense. He openly acknowledged you can't carry as many defenseman as the Penguins have right now. What that means as far as who's gonna go, it's anybody's guess at this point, I suppose.

Old
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
necessaryroughness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
welp, was dead wrong on cooke. added him to the charts now. good on shero for getting him at that price. that makes 21 roster spots more or less spoken for, not including pesonen (possibly). i think pesonen will have a better shot at making the team than some of these WBS guys because he might actually be able to play top 6 down the road.

cooke basically makes stone an AHLer for another year. when pesonen's numbers are released, he'll probably be #22 on the roster, leaving a last small contract for the taffe/brent ilk. i think they'll bring taffe back.

when it's all said and done, i think the pens will have a little over $1mil of cap space when the season opens, assuming no trades are made. maybe about $1.2mil.
There's too much smoke in the sydor rumors......I would hope and I kinda expect now that he'll be dealt that'll create some room.......I do hope that we don't have to give up scuderi though to deal sydor he was solid for us and his salary is low so we should keep him around for now and if we have to deal maybe we can deal him during the deadline for a big time winger to put us over the top IMO.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by necessaryroughness View Post
There's too much smoke in the sydor rumors......I would hope and I kinda expect now that he'll be dealt that'll create some room.......I do hope that we don't have to give up scuderi though to deal sydor he was solid for us and his salary is low so we should keep him around for now and if we have to deal maybe we can deal him during the deadline for a big time winger to put us over the top IMO.
Kinda depends on what your getting back in return doesn't it? If you get offered a top 6 forward right now for Sydor + Scuderi wouldn't you do it?

Old
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Greaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports
There is a mutual interest from the Penguins and Daryl Sydor that a trade is the best thing for both parties. According to a source, the Tampa Bay Lightning may be a suitor for Daryl Sydor if the team misses out on defenseman Jason Smith.
Well TIOPS reported that if Tbay loses out on Jason Smith they will look into acquiring Sydor from the Penguins. On the trade/rumors board it has been reported that Jason Smith has signed a 2 yr deal with the Ottawa Senators. Lets see what Shero can do with Sydor now! Go Shero Go!

Might as well dump all our trash on Tampa Bay!

Old
07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
mgs157

Tampa just signed Mark Recchi to a one-year, $1.25 million contract. Maybe they can find LeClair to go with him!

Old
09-30-2008, 05:26 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

first post is updated for the start of the season. not sure if there's any interest in giving this a sticky, but post away if anything looks wrong or if there's someone missing.

EDIT: hmm... can't seem to change the thread title anymore. any mod interested in updating it, be my guest.

Last edited by shureshot66: 09-30-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old
10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

janne pesonen and john curry "officially" assigned to WBS. 23-man roster set for NHL's 3 p.m. deadline.

moved taffe since he'll be off the books one way or the other if he gets claimed or makes it through to WBS. If there's a waiver claim shero is looking at as a replacement, it's not going to be anyone expensive like mclaren or schaefer barring any further moves.

Last edited by shureshot66: 10-08-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old
10-09-2008, 08:09 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

added zigomanis to the NHL roster for the time being.

Old
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

can't find any numbers yet, but added joey haddad's three-year contract to the signed prospects list. looks like that puts them right at 50 contracts.

Old
10-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Greaves

If we are at 56M and Gonch and Whitney are out for lets say half the season, does that mean we can deduct half their salary from the cap?

For example,

Total cap (inc. Gonch & Whit contracts) @ 56M
less: portion of Gonch's contract when he was on IR (5M/2 = 2.5)
less: portion of Whitney's contract when he was on IR (4M/2 = 2)

56M
___
51.5M cap

So then we have 5.5M in cap space, right?

I could be completely off base though...

Old
10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaves View Post
If we are at 56M and Gonch and Whitney are out for lets say half the season, does that mean we can deduct half their salary from the cap?

For example,

Total cap (inc. Gonch & Whit contracts) @ 56M
less: portion of Gonch's contract when he was on IR (5M/2 = 2.5)
less: portion of Whitney's contract when he was on IR (4M/2 = 2)

56M
___
51.5M cap

So then we have 5.5M in cap space, right?

I could be completely off base though...
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's how it works.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

From the NHLSCAP.com Salary Cap FAQ:

Quote:
LONG-TERM INJURIES

A player is considered to have a bona-fide long-term injury if, in the opinion of the team, the player has an injury which will cause him to miss at least 10 games and 24 days. Even in such cases, the player's salary will continue to count against the team's Upper Limit. This is mentioned at least three times in the CBA, and is repeated in Article 50.10(a):

All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play – being either injured or suffering from an illness – shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, as well as against the Players' Share.

For players that the team has filed an LTI exception, the team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary with as many replacement players as needed, provided that when the injured player is activated the team comes into compliance with the cap immediately. The team does not get to automatically tack on the amount of the injured player's salary to the Upper Limit - an example as illustrated in Article 50.10(d) of the CBA illustrates this point:

(a) Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

So - just because a player has a long-term injury does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. A team with a payroll of $44 million that has a player making $4 million get injured doesn't gain any extra cap space as a result; a team at $54 million and a player at $4 million only gains $1,300,000 (all pro-rated, of course). Relief toward the salary cap only comes if replacing an injured player's salary would push the team over the cap, and the amount of relief is limited to the amount the team would go over the cap - not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.
I don't think we will be brining in anyone based on the information above.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:27 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

10/24: thomas sent to WBS, add $525k of cap space.

Old
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

recent updates...

minard recalled to pittsburgh ($500k). also, david brown re-assigned to wheeling, alex grant receives three-year entry level deal.

Old
11-16-2008, 01:25 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

swapped sydor for boucher (no cap change) and sent bissonnette to WBS (+$500k cap space).

Old
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

december housecleaning update... found cap numbers for recent signees grant and haddad.

Old
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

...this is where it gets confusing.

this is the second time this season that some call-ups have put the pens over the cap ceiling, and while i can't find any definitive proof of it anywhere, i imagine gonchar is currently on LTIR. really doesn't make any sense for him not to be.

that doesn't mean his cap hit is ignored, it just means the pens can exceed the ceiling by most of his contract.

quick rundown of how it works... before calling up minard and pesonen, the pens had $629,933 of cap space. minard fits under this with a hit of $500k, so the number goes down to $129,933.

adding pesonen would be another $875k. the pens are allowed to go over the ceiling by gonchar's hit ($5mil) minus the $129,933 they still had left.

so the maximum they can spend *at this moment* is $61,570,067. adding up all the healthy bodies on the NHL roster, plus gonchar, whitney and now boucher going on IR is $57,445,067, leaving a theoretical $4,125,000 left.

of course, the second you want to bring gonchar back, you lose that extra cash allowance. so it's really only useful for injury call-ups, not trying to squeeze in a big-money winger, for example.

remember, this is all based on an assumption that gonchar is on LTIR. for the numbers to work out, *someone* has to be.

that's probably not the clearest of explanations, but hopefully it at least made sense.

Last edited by shureshot66: 12-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Closed Thread