HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Yashin wants to come back to Isles

Old
06-15-2008, 01:37 AM
IslesFTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It's a terrible move for publicity reasons. If he played for another team and they bought him out in a similar way sure i would give him a shot, but the team looks mickey mouse buying him out then resigning him at normal value.
True it is a bad publicity move. So they have to ask themselves this question. Do they want to keep the P.R. relationship somewhat good, or do they want to make themselves a playoff contender without giving up on the prospects/draft picks. I personally hope they choose the latter, and I am not a huge Yashin fan by any means

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:43 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
True it is a bad publicity move. So they have to ask themselves this question. Do they want to keep the P.R. relationship somewhat good, or do they want to make themselves a playoff contender without giving up on the prospects/draft picks. I personally hope they choose the latter, and I am not a huge Yashin fan by any means
i think the Islanders problems last season went well beyond not having Yashin. We have/had a very suspect defense and when 4 of those guys go down to injury as well as some of our forwards(Sillinger especially), reality will kick in. fact is we were in the thick of stuff till about feb then the team collasped(with Fredrick Meyer IV being our #2 defenseman due to all the inuries)

Whatever money Yashin wants we are better of going on the free agent market and giving it to a guy like Brendan Morrison

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:46 AM
bones21212

if yashin agrees to pay the islanders 2.5 million per year, sure, sign the guy. otherwise, no thanks.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:49 AM
evgeni71

Sign this ****** to the contract minimum. He has enough money already.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:52 AM
IslesFTW

Quote:
i think the Islanders problems last season went well beyond not having Yashin. We have/had a very suspect defense
I don't think our defense was a problem

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=444
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...stats&sort=404

I mean I am not saying that our defense was good, but we had worse injuries to our defense last season, and they perfomed better as a grouping than our offnse did, thus our offense(and not having someone of Yashin's calibre) was the bigger problem(in my opinion)

Old
06-15-2008, 01:53 AM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForever View Post
Sign this ****** to the contract minimum. He has enough money already.
I'd gladly sign him to a three million dollar deal

Old
06-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Sneekypete

2 years league minimum.
He is no worse than whats already on the isles and put up decent numbers on average teams.
I am nto a supporter of him but there are worse ways to waste money.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
If it's for a cheap contract, why not?

He had 50 points in 58 games for the Isles in 06-07, better than anyone on Long Island this season. His attitude is a huge deterrent though.
I agree. Hes got a ton of talent and he could probably be a better player then what he was. He saw the leagues outside of the NHL just werent for him. He might want a cup, so he might want to compete harder for a spot, a name for himself and to help turn a team around. If he wants to come back to the isles then I think they should give him a shot. They got cap room and hes got more offense then many people they got. Add him with Guerin, Comrie, and Okposo, you cant be worse.

For christ sake, the isles top point getter was 49 *** points. That makes me cringe.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:00 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
I don't think our defense was a problem

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=444
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...stats&sort=404

I mean I am not saying that our defense was good, but we had worse injuries to our defense last season, and they perfomed better as a grouping than our offnse did, thus our offense(and not having someone of Yashin's calibre) was the bigger problem(in my opinion)
8th worst in the league and 6th worst in our conference isn't really anything to brag about. Beyond that i will point out the team missed the presence of Tom Poti, for all the faults rangers fans seemed to have about him the guy could clear the puck out of the zone better then anybody on our team which is always the first step in setting up a play in the other other teams zone.

Beyond that the Islanders have no other option then to adopt a NJ devils style approach of capitalizing on other teams mistakes. When you fall behind by a goal it's hard to use that style, a better defense would lead to us not giving up leads, which would also allow us to capitalize on other teams mistakes more since they trying to score instead of protect a lead.

Beyond that we need a guy on the PP point who can actually make it productive so we can gain that lead.

Old
06-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I really don't think that anyone can match Yashin's Greed for money. I mean that's all that man cares about!!! Disgrace if he loves the game and the NHL he will come back.
My money sez his woman gave him an ultimatum. Play in the US or else.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:06 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
My money sez his woman gave him an ultimatum. Play in the US or else.
lol isn't she like 50 now? I mean with that kind of cash he should be dating 20 year old russian tennis players

Old
06-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Rumor: Some NYI Fans Want Players With Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo32 View Post

If this ever comes to pass, I'm officially a free agent fan. After decades of allegiance to this once proud and subsequently inept franchise, this inane move would be the last straw.

Oh the humanity!

I get grief for suggesting that some NYI fans deserve the inferior product they have seen over the last 24 years on Long Island. The quotes in this thread (e.g., "why not?") actually rationalizing/endorsing this hypothetical idiotic move is exactly why I hold that opinion.

Accept inferior players like this heartless clown and you richly deserve the crapola product you keep getting .

Simplistically rationalizing this move based on Yashins's offensive stats is EXACTLY why fantasy leaguers should be forced to take a test (drug; I.Q.) before being able to comment on NHL hockey.

To the poster who suggested that NYI's defense "isn't that bad": you should try open mike night at the local comedy club.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-15-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
lol isn't she like 50 now? I mean with that kind of cash he should be dating 20 year old russian tennis players
You would think.

Regardless, he burned his bridges with the Islanders. No way they're going to take him back for anything more than League minimum.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 05:07 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
they would have to sign him to a new deal--would be funny to see him both on current contracts and buyout lists

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:07 AM
kasper11

I would have no problem bringin Yahin back. As long as his English is good enough to say "Beer her, get your ice cold beer here" he would be a solid addition.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:32 AM
magnum44

would he be eligible for a bonus based contract?

magnum44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:47 AM
xIsle

Alex Kovalev had a great comeback season for the Habs. Could it be the same for Alexei Yashin?

If the price is between 1 to 1.5 millions, I'll take the chance if I'm the Islanders. I've got a feeling that he could bounce back very nicely and that he would like to redeem himself.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Maybe they'll want Blake back now?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:27 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

isnt there a rule that once you buy a player out, the team that bought him out cant bring him back, atleast until his bought-out cap hit is off the books?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

If this ever comes to pass, I'm officially a free agent fan.
Seconded.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Hockify

What Yash wants and what Yash is going to get are two different things.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Maybe this is all part of a master plan...maybe Nikita Filatov has always dreamed of playing alongside Alexei Yashin, so they are just setting the table here.

Yeah, maybe not.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Accept inferior players like this heartless clown and you richly deserve the crapola product you keep getting .

Ya, because the Islanders are a regular offensive powerhouse.

He may be a dysfunctional player, but your franchise has almost no offensive talent. They could use a player like Yashin again...

Free agent fan? Things were as bad in Boston a couple of years ago (even worse when they traded a fan-favourite) and I never thought of giving up on the Bruins.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44 View Post
would he be eligible for a bonus based contract?
No - he's 34. Next year, he would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
isnt there a rule that once you buy a player out, the team that bought him out cant bring him back, atleast until his bought-out cap hit is off the books?
No, there's not. The only restriction there's ever been on a bought-out player re-signing with his team was in the compliance buyouts after the lockout, where players were prevented from resigning with the team that bought them out for 1 year. Otherwise, there's no restrictions.

06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Where is the attitude stuff coming from? Everything I've heard about him suggests he's one of the nicest guys in the game.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote