HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Emery, Would you want him?

Old
06-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Godfather

vCash: 500
Emery, Would you want him?

There are teams that need a goalie. But then there are teams that need a goalie because the prospects arn't even close yet. I feel he would be a great fit with Legace.

I know the whole Ottawa thing and him, but it's over and he was told he isn't coming back. What are the thoughts on him with a bluenote on his sweater?

Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Twist and Shout

Yup, I'd take him. Leaf fan growing up too. I'd give him Raycroft's spot, though he'd probably be looking for and get a starting role somewhere.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
Yup, I'd take him. Leaf fan growing up too. I'd give him Raycroft's spot, though he'd probably be looking for and get a starting role somewhere.
I think he's worthy of another chance somewhere, but I don't think Toronto would be wise to give him an opportunity. Toskala has worked his arse off his entire career to be the #1 man, and last year he finally was given it, he's a great goalie....it wouldn't make sense to piss him off, especially with his contract up the year after the upcoming season.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:39 AM
voxel

At $3.1M/yr - that's a serious cap hit. I suspect all teams will say no to that.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I dont think any team would be willing to give a 1B goaltender a shot who has a history of attitude issues.

I think Ottawa is stuck with him until his contract runs out, or he starts playing like a Franchise Goalie for them, in which case they would keep.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
At $3.1M/yr - that's a serious cap hit. I suspect all teams will say no to that.
Presumably you get him as a free agent after the Sens buy him out, for considerably less than his current salary/cap hit.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Presumably you get him as a free agent after the Sens buy him out, for considerably less than his current salary/cap hit.
Which would be fine at that point... say $1.5M/yr or $2.25M/yr - and no assets traded and maybe even one year.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:10 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I think Ottawa is stuck with him until his contract runs out, or he starts playing like a Franchise Goalie for them, in which case they would keep.
It's a 1/3rd buyout.
Ottawa could buy him out, take the 1/3rd cap hit, sign a back-up and still have a lot of money left over for another position (like $1-2M)... all under Emery's $3.17M per season.

A buyout is a no brainer at this point, unless Hartsburg begs Murray to keep him (the same day a comet hits Chad Kroeger's house).

If it were a 2/3rds buyout like for all of the old farts in the league... then they would have kept him and stood behind him like they did with Gerber.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:26 AM
habs_24x

Hes a distraction to the team. A buyout to me seems imminent.
As a Habs fan, i hope they keep him but i doubt theyre that stupid. I dont see any team taking him even as a free agent.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:58 AM
txpd

Ottawa will buy him out. He will end up in a place where they need a goaltender and where expectations and media scrutiny is reasonably light.

Professional athletes almost always get a second chance and so will Emery. Toronto sure ain't the place though. If Tampa Bay is not sold on Smith, I would suggest that location. LA might have too much media pressure, that might be an option.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

If I were the Blues I wouldn't aquire him. Reason being if he is a distraction now with his attitude problems I wouldn't want that kind of player on a rebuilding Blues team. I would look to Theodore, Huet, Ellis or even Conklin if they hit the market to split time with Legace or take over the starting role until one of their goaltending prospects are ready.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Handlanger

Ray who?

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Which would be fine at that point... say $1.5M/yr or $2.25M/yr - and no assets traded and maybe even one year.
If he gets bought out, even as a free agent I can't see anyone giving him over a million. I'm thinking more along the lines of between the league minimum and $800,000. He's too much of a gamble. That being said, if no one had taken a chance on Emery by midseason, and Hiller was emerging in Anaheim to the point that team's in need of a number one were asking about him, I'd deal Hiller and sign Emery to a pro-rated one year deal.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Sear91

I think LA goes after him...

Sear91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:54 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I hope a team signs Tortorella as a coach and then signs Emery if he's bought out. I'd love to see those 2 together, could probably even make a reality TV show with them.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Too much talent, and young to go unsigned. If bought out he will find a home somewhere, and I'm sure they'll be very happy with him

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

How do you say no in street lingo?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How do you say no in street lingo?
Ixnay on the Sugar Ray in street lingua.

As long as Emery accepts that he's fighting for his career and that it might require him starting as #3 somewhere, then I doubt there will be any shortage of opportunities for him. If he's looking for guarantees in the NHL or to maintain his current lifestyle, well, the opportunities would probably be far fewer. I can't imagine it would be at all a good thing for the Leafs to consider him. For those of us outside Leaf Nation, it might be quite the sight to behold, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Minor league talent, terrible attitude...I guess I could use him to DJ a party or something, but as far as being an NHL goaltender, well, no, not any cost...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

vCash: 1253
I'd rather keep Theo for 3-4 years at $4 mill per. And I don't want to keep Theo at all...

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey287 View Post
Minor league talent, terrible attitude...I guess I could use him to DJ a party or something, but as far as being an NHL goaltender, well, no, not any cost...
Rather, big league problem child talent with the potential to a become bonafied NHL starter.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Laoghaire

Yes.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:48 PM
shanthony

Chicago makes some sense. Khabibulin is nearing the end and they have really no prospect who projects into a #1. If they could get Emery on the cheap he could be a bigtime steal if Tallon can keep him under raps. Put him with a strong management group with a good support team (something similar to what the Cowboys are doing with Pacman Jones) and I think he will be a solid goalie in this league for many years.

shanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I guess, I never saw the talent in Emery that everyone else saw...during the playoffs in '06 I thought that sealed it...he reminds me a lot of Robert Esche, another awful goaltender...Emery was just fortunate to be behind a great offense and the Phillips/Volchenkov pairing that, had they have played all 60 minutes, they would have blocked just as many shots as Emery did, but with fewer rebounds...

I was pretty sure this contract would be his last in the NHL before he signed it, but now I guess someone will try him out for less than a million and just hope...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Beerfish

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. In my opinion he was overated to begin with. Had the attitude problem and misbehaviour even in the stanley cup year, essentially was a big part of the Sens falling apart and a coach being fired last year. I can't believe that any team in this league could not come up with a guy close to Emery's ability without the cancerous behaviour.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote