HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa wants YOUR top 10 pick..

Old
06-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Hawks would probably be looking to trade down from 11th. If someone the Sens wants falls there the Hawks would probably be a perfect trading partner.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
BigEyedPhish

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Silverback91;14415659]how about this:

Van gets:
Vermette
18th overall pick
Fisher

Ott gets:
10th overall pick
Pyatt
rights to Morrison (re-sign him right after the trade is announced since the are given time to work out a deal before the deal goes through)[/QUOTE

no

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
how about this:

Van gets:
Vermette
18th overall pick
Fisher

Ott gets:
10th overall pick
Pyatt
rights to Morrison (re-sign him right after the trade is announced since the are given time to work out a deal before the deal goes through)
Yeah, no thanks from an Ottawa perspective.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

STL gets
Vermette
18th
Zubov

for

OTT gets
4th overall

This would guarantee you one of the big 3 defensemen or Myers or Schenn if you swing that way. We could even possibly fit Emery somewhere into there because the Blues need a goalie who can play 25-35 games

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
STL gets
Vermette
18th
Zubov

for

OTT gets
4th overall

This would guarantee you one of the big 3 defensemen or Myers or Schenn if you swing that way. We could even possibly fit Emery somewhere into there because the Blues need a goalie who can play 25-35 games
St. Louis declines. Vermette is nice, and the 18th is nice, but imagine them taking a guy like Bogosian, Pietrangelo or Doughty to pair with Johnson for the next decade.

Frightening.

Old
06-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

What would Vancouver want for one of their defenseman?

Fisher + 18th overall for Bieksa?

Is the value right? Am I close.....? [Sorry, I'm not good a proposals]

I want Vermette to be our #2 Center as he has more "potential" than Fisher. Though, I think Fisher will produce more points next year but Vermette with Alfredsson could be really good.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT View Post
I think that's one of the first good proposals I've ever seen on these boards....
???
Meszaros has geat upside, I'd say he is better then your Kris Letang. Both Mez and Vermette are not being traded maybe one of them.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
so Vermette is now your no. 2 center. interesting. who is no longer in the top 2?
I believe Vermette plays wing as well sir.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
spoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
All three forward positions

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Ouroboros

Ottawa simply doesn't have the assets to get into the top 10. Or at least can no longer afford to give them up.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:33 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think those two are the things that make me want Vermette. Given an icetime division like Morrison gets, with significantly more PP time, I see Vermette as a 65 to 70 point center right now. And I think he still has room to improve as he just enters his prime.

Morrison has battled injuries these past three years (and despite his ironman streak, he's definitely been affected by those injuries, and will likely continue to in the future). Morrison will also be 33 starting next season, and exiting the prime of his career. Vermette is a player the Canucks can use now and in the future, and is more of a sure bet than pretty much every prospect you'll see around at the 10th pick.
Vermette still doesn't address what the canucks lack most - size and grit in their top 6.... all you're doing by replacing Mo with Vermette is adding potential for the future... is that really where the canucks are heading right now? cause otherwise it'd be much smarter to just retain Morrison and use that 10th overall pick to draft a center that can replace him in a couple years! someone with more upside than Vermette, who might actually bring more intangibles that this lineup is missing (such as Beach, Wilson or Hodgson).

In Vancouver, Vermette is not likely to play on the right side with the Sedins... he's likely going to be a 2nd line center, or a left winger on that unit... and neither place, IMO, is a good fit for him... Raymond will already be on the 2nd unit as well... adding Vermette just keeps the canucks as a team that lacks any kind of physical presence in the top 6, and really only 2 spots (the 2 right wing positions) left to address that.

I also agree with the many canuck fans that say that we need an upgrade at center... especially to make the 2nd unit better overall... I just don't see Vermette as much of an upgrade over Morrison at this stage in both players careers.

IMO it's just bad asset management at this stage, for a team with limited quality assets overall to walk away from Morrison in FA, only to use one of those few quality assets they have to replace him with a similar player.

I guess I'm just not as big a Vermette fan as you are... besides, if Ottawa fans actually thought this guy had 70 point potential as early as next season, why would they even consider moving him, to move up 8 or so spots in the draft? They have Spezza and Fisher (who's ideal in a 3rd line role) down the middle... after that, guys like Kelly and Robitaille are bottom 6 players, and the rest of the youngsters - Foligno, Bass, Zubov, Hennessey, Nikulin, etc - haven't shown they are close to ready to fill a permanent top 6 position... even on the wings, they don't have much depth past the top 2 guys.

If Ottawa thinks that Vermette has 70 point potential in him, as early as next season, why would you bother dealing him, when the team doesn't really have any depth to step in and replace that kind of player??

IMO he's being overrated here... he's a good 2nd line 50 point player... but not worth giving up one of the few key assets a team has, when he's really not an upgrade at all at this point over Morrison, nor a player that really brings any of the intangibles this lineup really needs.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Ottawa simply doesn't have the assets to get into the top 10. Or at least can no longer afford to give them up.
They will find a way

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
If Ottawa thinks that Vermette has 70 point potential in him, as early as next season, why would you bother dealing him, when the team doesn't really have any depth to step in and replace that kind of player??
Although I dont really think Vermette will go anywhere and hit 70 points, with perhaps the exception of Columbus as Playing with Nash would inflate his numbers a bit above his actual ability. I do believe that Vermette is good for 60+ next year if he is given second line minutes along with the associated power play time. Now the reason the Senators would move him are two fold, first off our owner would like to make a big splash as the draft is in Ottawa, and secondly Fisher is going to be given the second line centre roll even though he is much better suited for the third.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
I think it is very possible with Columbus.

Something CAN be built around Vermette and the rights to Redden.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

This is the ideal situation to me. I have the feeling that a deal like this wouldnt go through tho until draft day because Columbus will want to test the waters for better centres first. If they cant get Marleau or Carter then its likely the would be willing to listen to Vermette + Redden's right +18th for 6th.

Old
06-15-2008, 07:00 PM
5H4RK5

What year? j/k

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
I just dont see Vermette being enough for the Canucks to deal the 10th. I think it would have to be a situation like pitseleh referred to:

How about:

10th + Schneider

for

Vermette + Lee
Lee is pretty much untouchable right now. No thanks.

Old
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Ouroboros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
Lee is pretty much untouchable right now. No thanks.
Just to clarify...

The proposal is fair valuewise but Ottawa has no defense prospects that project to play in the NHL other than Lee. Maybe Ben Blood someday, but that is probably 4 years down the road.

Old
06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Ouroboros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

You might be right. I guess part of my apprehension is due to the fact that it appears Murray has chosen Fisher over Vermette for Ottawa's future.

People underestimated how much Ottawa would struggle without Corvo and Preissing and I think a similar situation will occur with Vermette. He's the team's best PK player, perhaps the strongest skater, the best 5-on-5 scorer outside of Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson and the best face-off man. If he goes to a team like Columbus and gets a chance to play big minutes (maybe even finally on the PP!) he will explode and Ottawa will regret trading him for years.

Old
06-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Comely

Quote:
You might be right. I guess part of my apprehension is due to the fact that it appears Murray has chosen Fisher over Vermette for Ottawa's future.

People underestimated how much Ottawa would struggle without Corvo and Preissing and I think a similar situation will occur with Vermette. He's the team's best PK player, perhaps the strongest skater, the best 5-on-5 scorer outside of Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson and the best face-off man. If he goes to a team like Columbus and gets a chance to play big minutes (maybe even finally on the PP!) he will explode and Ottawa will regret trading him for years.
Perhaps, the reality is even if Vermette turns into a point a game player where ever he goes Ottawa only regretts it if the Draft pick turns into a flop. If the draft pick becomes a top 4 defenceman or a top 6 forward most fans can shrug and go we couldnt afford this Vermette under the cap anyways.... This is sort of simular to the Havlat trade where we just couldnt afford him, that being said I think we could have gotten more for Havlat then what we did.

Old
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
no kidding, gee i didnt know that. the point is, if Vermette wants to be a center on a top line and is willing to leave Ottawa to do it, Ottawa has no choice but to move him as he won't sign a contract with them. not saying this is the case, just saying its a reason why he would be moved.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think those two are the things that make me want Vermette. Given an icetime division like Morrison gets, with significantly more PP time, I see Vermette as a 65 to 70 point center right now. And I think he still has room to improve as he just enters his prime.

What makes you think that Vermette is going to have a 40% increase in his production when he'd likely be filling the same role in VAN as he did in OTT (2nd line center)?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
DougGilmour93

Vermette, 18th overall pick, +

for

7th overall

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
What makes you think that Vermette is going to have a 40% increase in his production when he'd likely be filling the same role in VAN as he did in OTT (2nd line center)?
Mainly because he was actually played as our third line centre most of the yeat and was given almost zero power play time I think some sens fans are trying to over sell when they say 70 point player, Vermette can achieve that I dont expect it though. However if he gets to centre the second power play unit its not a strech to expect an extra 10 point out of it.

Old
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Angelo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
I just dont see Vermette being enough for the Canucks to deal the 10th. I think it would have to be a situation like pitseleh referred to:

How about:

10th + Schneider

for

Vermette + Lee
im absolutely loving this deal! it just makes sense!

Angelo25 is offline   Reply With Quote