HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour: Oilers trying to acquire Malone's rights

Old
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Rumour: Oilers trying to acquire Malone's rights

I read that Kevin Lowe has been talking to Ray Shero for Ryan Malones rights. If Malone comes to Edmonton, Hemsky Horcoff and Malone will play great together and Malone would surely get more than 27 goals with Hemmers great playmaking skills.

here is the link.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...f0&k=62933&p=1

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Lowetide

27 goals on 159 shots. Is that sustainable?

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:15 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I read that Kevin Lowe has been talking to Ray Shero for Ryan Malones rights. If Malone comes to Edmonton, Hemsky Horcoff and Malone will play great together and Malone would surely get more than 27 goals with Hemmers great playmaking skills.

here is the link.

Is Malone an upgrade on Penner? If so where do we put Penner? I don't think it's in the Oilers best interest to break up the "kid line" Our top 6 are fine unless adding a unquestionalbe upgrade on #1LW ie..Kovie or Ovie

The only other alternative would be aquire Malone then trade the likes of Penner in a package for an elite defenceman.

All in all makes no sence. We need to shed players/Salaries no bring in more. We need a 3-1 trade IMO

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I hope not. We already have a Dustin Penner, and ours doesn't need Crosby and Malkin to get 51 points (a career high, I might add).

06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
27 goals on 159 shots. Is that sustainable?
His career average before this year was 14.4%. His previous career high was 15.8% in his rookie year. This year's 17.0% was high, but it's in the same ballpark, and definately something that he should be able to reach again in his career. If he shot his previous career average this year, it would only have equated to 4 less goals.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Traktor*

Depends on where he is shooting from. If it's 159 shots from the slot then it should be sustainable.

I would assume that many of Malone's goals are from a couple feet out from the blue paint.

Raffi on the other hand was shooting from anywhere possible last year so it looks like he was snake bitten when that really wasn't the case.

I don't think anyone thinks he is going to net you 35+ but if he can score 20+ goals and play with the same grit that he played with in the playoffs is he worth 3.5-4 million per? I would say yes but we probably don't have room unless we move Raffi and Moreau.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
tiger_80

If true, I guess that would mean Torres is on the way to Pitts for Malone's rights. Gives Pitts a cheaper Malone replacement who might put good numbers playing with Crosby or Malkin.

If Malone ever becomes an Oiler, look for him to play on the line with Gagner and Nilsson/Cogliano.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Malone-Gager-Nilsson
Moreau-Coglino-Pisani
Glenncross-Brodziak-Stortini/Pouliot

Stoll traded to move up in the draft.

In principle, acquiring Malone would not be a bad move, the only problem it's going to be another overpayment by the Oilers for non-elite talent.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
If true, I guess that would mean Torres is on the way to Pitts for Malone's rights. Gives Pitts a cheaper Malone replacement who might put good numbers playing with Crosby or Malkin.

If Malone ever becomes an Oiler, look for him to play on the line with Gagner and Nilsson/Cogliano.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Malone-Gager-Nilsson
Moreau-Coglino-Pisani

In principle, acquiring Malone would not be a bad move, the only problem it's going to be another overpayment by the Oilers for non-elite talent.
That problem is getting bigger by the day. Now we have all these vets that we're likely to bite the bullet on. That's the problem with overpayment, it decreases the value of a player.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Hemsky4PM

Am I the only one reading this line from that article: "may have called". Does this even qualify as anything beyond speculation?

It's bas speculation at that. I have no interest paying another complimentary player 4-5M a year. Go big or stand pat should be Lowe's approach to this off-season.

Where ever Malone goes I am convinced he will lose some of his physical edge. It happens to virtually everyone when they get that sort of security.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Am I the only one reading this line from that article: "may have called". Does this even qualify as anything beyond speculation?

It's bas speculation at that. I have no interest paying another complimentary player 4-5M a year. Go big or stand pat should be Lowe's approach to this off-season.

Where ever Malone goes I am convinced he will lose some of his physical edge. It happens to virtually everyone when they get that sort of security.
Nah. It's just speculation. KLowe really shouldn't look too far into this. Someone will overpay big time for Malone. It shouldn't be the Oilers.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
mic

Boring. I'd take Torres over Malone's next paycheck. Do we really need another Penner or take a risk on another Hartnell? We almost dodged a bullet last year when Philly obtained his rights but I actually think Penner will be ok- younger and better than Malone with higher career achievements.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:10 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Malone-Gager-Nilsson
Moreau-Coglino-Pisani

Actually I kind of like your lines!! Nice train of thought as well...that kid line sure needs some added strength and size. Malone could be a nice fit there. I love the blanced attack we would have. In theory we could role all 4 lines all night long. Who needs Ilya or Alex??

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Oilerdiehard

He would be a nice addition but he is not going to be on the 1st line unless someone gets hurt. Despite his stats this year you can only count on him for about 40 points. He is probably going to get too much money to be worth it though.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
Boring. I'd take Torres over Malone's next paycheck. Do we really need another Penner or take a risk on another Hartnell? We almost dodged a bullet last year when Philly obtained his rights but I actually think Penner will be ok- younger and better than Malone with higher career achievements.
As much as I like Penner, I think Hartnell would have been better - he's a stronger ES player and the first line without Horcs is dead at ES (Penner and Hemsky just don't do it).

Malone for $3.5M/yr would be nice, but I suspect he's asking for $5M/yr. Pass.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:40 PM
GSC

Quote:

here is the link.

If the Oilers do this, I'll smash something valuable. I can't stand Ryan Malone, neither in person nor on the ice. I don't want him and his inflated salary and ego ANYWHERE near this organization.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:18 PM
mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
As much as I like Penner, I think Hartnell would have been better - he's a stronger ES player and the first line without Horcs is dead at ES (Penner and Hemsky just don't do it).

Malone for $3.5M/yr would be nice, but I suspect he's asking for $5M/yr. Pass.
I was too hard on Hartnell as he is very similar to Penner in both salary and stats but a bit more physical/mean. I don't think that either players are worth their money, and neither will Malone, but that discussion died long ago. Klowe dropped the ball on that one as we could've had both Timonen and Hartnell for just one draft pick, but I suppose that trade surprised some people. Things seemed to have worked ok anyway.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Lessy

Not a big fan of this really nor am I sure I believe it. We already have Penner and it is extremely debatable whether or not Malone is even an upgrade on him. Someone's going to be overpaying for Malone and I'm just hoping it's not us. I'm far from a Penner fan but for the same pricetag, I'd take him over Malone.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Homesick

Quote:

here is the link.

Hemsky>>>>>>Crosby/Malkin

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:43 PM
OmegaTheory

Geez I hope not.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Slats432

If true, this doesn't address anything we have talked about on this board.

A one for one deal to acquire the rights to a guy that will make double the guy that is going out, and we still have a glut of forwards. That would be terrible and I hope it is untrue.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
robbiezyg

simple.. i hope not.

robbiezyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
I was too hard on Hartnell as he is very similar to Penner in both salary and stats but a bit more physical/mean. I don't think that either players are worth their money, and neither will Malone, but that discussion died long ago. Klowe dropped the ball on that one as we could've had both Timonen and Hartnell for just one draft pick, but I suppose that trade surprised some people. Things seemed to have worked ok anyway.

When Philly traded a 1st round pick back to NAS for the rights for Hartnell and Timonen, there probably have been some sort of agrement already in place that they will sign in Philly (perhaps, going all the way back to the Forsberg trade).

So I don't think it's fair to say that Lowe dropped the ball. He simply did not have a chance.

Old
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post

A one for one deal to acquire the rights to a guy that will make double the guy that is going out, and we still have a glut of forwards. That would be terrible and I hope it is untrue.
One for one deal??? Who would that player supposedly be??? Did you read something else, or are you just assuming that we'll give up a player and not a pick???

06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
simple.. i hope not.

Agreed. He wont be as good playing with Hemsky. Hemsky is good, but he's no Crosby.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post

Well, Malone is a top 6 forward who can skate, hit everything that moves, kill penalties, play decent defensively and pot 20-30 goals a season. I would love to have him, but I am afraid his salary demands will be extravagant.

If only he could be had for around 3.5-4M. With Torres's salary going the other way, I think the deal would not look bad at all.

Last edited by tiger_80: 06-15-2008 at 11:33 PM.