HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Nhl Governors Considering Second Team In Toronto

Old
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
gee

vCash: 500
Report: Nhl Governors Considering Second Team In Toronto

Quote:
REPORT: NHL GOVERNORS CONSIDERING SECOND TEAM IN TORONTO

It appears some National Hockey League officials think the Toronto market is big enough to have two teams.

According to The Globe and Mail, NHL governors have had informal talks about putting a second team in Toronto.

''Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?'' one governor told the newspaper anonymously, adding one scenario involves Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie being awarded an expansion franchise after coming to the aid of the financially-strapped Nashville Predators.

Mod Edit: more at the link
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253294&l...headlines_main

yikes, there goes any chance of seeing a non-toronto game on CBC. but a second team in toronto sounds like a good idea to me... as long as it's the thrashers

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:42 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
If it happens won't be any time soon.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Tuggy

Time to move one of the franchises out of the south and put it in Ontario. It could easily be supported and would be good for the NHL IMO. Big Jim has deep pockets and he wants a team bad...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:52 AM
maci4life

i may actually cheer for a toronto team if this happens. but it still won't be the leafs

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Judge Sauer*

How do you even have talks about a second team in Toronto without first thinking about Quebec, Winnipeg or Hamilton?
With fans and others making noise about the proximity of the Hamilton team, how much worse is it going to be if the proposed team is in the back yard?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Woland

Quote:
We can't expand because we would be the laughingstock of professional sports. We've got too many troubled franchises."
harsh ....

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
harsh ....
Harsh but true. It's time for the NHL to fix some of their "mistake" franchises and put them in places where they will flourish.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
PricePkPatch

Would be a better idea to revive the Nordiques. With Quebec's mentality of anti-montrealism, it would be a seller..

Off course, Quebec would need to get a decent arena

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Pascal

I'm fine with another team in TO.. anywhere in Canada is better than the recent locations the NHL chose.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:13 AM
David_99

I built a diagram yesterday, one side with the current location of the franchises, the other with 3 teams moved. The Thrashers moved to Portland, Predators moved to Southern Ontario and the Panthers moved to Winnipeg. Not only would it take teams out of failing southern markets but I find it really improves the divisions. A lot less travel in some cases.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:13 AM
neofury*

Ontario can't win with the two franchises they have, better yet Toronto can't win with the one they have, so they're going to make another. Pretty bad when your province can't even properly manage two seperate teams into being steady contenders (no I don't feel ottawa is a steady contender just because they make the playoffs, they're the laughing stock of canadian teams imo, they'll never have what it takes to win a cup with their current mentalities on building a 1 line team imo, and no, I don't consider them a 2 line team now)

But regardless of my opinions on them, the point is they're now going to add another ball into the mix to give ontario or toronto further chance to win a cup. Too bad if the new toronto team wins a cup they won't be the leafs anyways.

Not only that but, shouldn't it be illegal to make two franchises in the exact same city using the exact same arena? OK, so George Gillett or his brother in-law could go buy Nashville, a bunch of other 3rd rate teams, and move them to Montreal, then eventually we'll just have 3-5 teams per city in the NHL and it'll become more just gambling to win a cup then actually playing to win. How about Cote-St-Luc, Dollard Des Ormeaux, Pierrefonds and Lasalle all get their own team now Give me a break. As if that wouldn't be bad, making 2 in Toronto/Surrounding areas would be even more retarded.

This is ridiculous, people think adding an expansion would make them a laughing stock? Adding a 2nd team in 1 already struggling city (struggling team wise, not financially) is the most ridiculous thing I think I've heard. What makes them think the new Toronto would be so special. All they have to do is just build from within on their CURRENT Toronto.

Imo this is just Toronto propaganda this story, or dumb fans pushing for a new team cause they're bitter with the leafs being so ****.

If the NHL wants to branch out, convert current teams, heck even expand, I say take the european route. Start bringing more mainstream hockey to Europe. Convert Nashville and one other team into the first two Euro teams.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Ontario can't win with the two franchises they have, better yet Toronto can't win with the one they have, so they're going to make another. Pretty bad when your province can't even properly manage two seperate teams into being steady contenders (no I don't feel ottawa is a steady contender just because they make the playoffs, they're the laughing stock of canadian teams imo, they'll never have what it takes to win a cup with their current mentalities on building a 1 line team imo, and no, I don't consider them a 2 line team now)

But regardless of my opinions on them, the point is they're now going to add another ball into the mix to give ontario or toronto further chance to win a cup. Too bad if the new toronto team wins a cup they won't be the leafs anyways.

Not only that but, shouldn't it be illegal to make two franchises in the exact same city using the exact same arena? OK, so George Gillett or his brother in-law could go buy Nashville, a bunch of other 3rd rate teams, and move them to Montreal, then eventually we'll just have 3-5 teams per city in the NHL and it'll become more just gambling to win a cup then actually playing to win.

This is ridiculous, people think adding an expansion would make them a laughing stock? Adding a 2nd team in 1 already struggling city (struggling team wise, not financially) is the most ridiculous thing I think I've heard. What makes them think the new Toronto would be so special. All they have to do is just build from within on their CURRENT Toronto.

Imo this is just Toronto propaganda this story, or dumb fans pushing for a new team cause they're bitter with the leafs being so ****.
This might be the dumbest post I've read in a long time. This proposal has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening on the ice. The fact that you think what is happening on the ice is even important in this discussion speaks largely about you. This is the financial side of the game. There are certain teams in the US who are doing very badly off the ice. Something needs to be done because their owners are taking huge losses and I can't imagine they can hang on much longer (look at Atlanta). Ballisie (who this is all about IMO) wants an NHL team and is easily rich enough to do it.

I find it baffling that someone would suggest that this is a ploy to bring a winning team to Ontario because the others aren't winning. The very notion of that is absurd.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-21-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old
10-21-2008, 09:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
This might be the dumbest post I've read in a long time. This proposal has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening on the ice. The fact that you think what is happening on the ice is even important in this discussion speaks largely about you. This is the financial side of the game. There are certain teams in the US who are doing very badly off the ice. Something needs to be done because their owners are taking huge losses and I can't imagine they can hang on much longer (look at Atlanta). Ballisie (who this is all about IMO) wants an NHL team and is easily rich enough to do it.

I find it baffling that someone would suggest that this is a ploy to bring a winning team to Ontario because the others aren't winning. The very notion of that is absurd.
Please if it were about finances purely they wouldn't soley be targetting toronto as the city then. There would be other options within Canada or even the US that wouldn't result in having two teams in the same city.

You can't possibly be saying that it doesn't strike you as odd that they've decided on Leafs country to put a new team. If it were somewhere else in ontario, then I'd say fine, but they down right want to rent their forum out to the new team and have them be in Toronto.

Just because it would be a financially sound move doesn't mean it wouldn't also be a ploy somewhere down the line. Somebody would need to pull strings to get this sort of deal done and even if it isn't a ploy, the point still remains that it would give one specific city 1 extra chance to win the cup over every other team. So regardless, it IS a ploy to get another team in Toronto whether it is intentional or purely based on finances.

I highly doubt if Toronto was the most successful franchise in NHL history and won 2-3 cups in the last 10 years, they would even entertain the proposal of lending out their ice surface to another toronto team, they wouldn't want a second team if that were the case believe me the fans would be against it, imo fans in Montreal wouldn't want a second Montreal team either. But the poor suffering Toronto team needs a second ticket in the raffle for their crying fanbase. Give me a break, this somewhere down the line does have something to do with what I've mentioned above because no successful team would even entertain the idea of having a second team of the same exact city and arena co-exist.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-21-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old
10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I built a diagram yesterday, one side with the current location of the franchises, the other with 3 teams moved. The Thrashers moved to Portland, Predators moved to Southern Ontario and the Panthers moved to Winnipeg. Not only would it take teams out of failing southern markets but I find it really improves the divisions. A lot less travel in some cases.

Interresting, though I think Winnipeg would need to be in the same division than Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary to flourish. So I'd put Winnipeg in NorthWest Division, San Jose in Pacific division and Colorado/Dallas in Central division.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

nice work

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Interresting, though I think Winnipeg would need to be in the same division than Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary to flourish. So I'd put Winnipeg in NorthWest Division, San Jose in Pacific division and Colorado/Dallas in Central division.
They are too many time zones away. If you have to travel over long distances, it's better to go up and down. It couldn't be helped with Dallas. (They're the freak team )

Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Please if it were about finances purely they wouldn't soley be targetting toronto as the city then. There would be other options within Canada or even the US that wouldn't result in having two teams in the same city.

You can't possibly be saying that it doesn't strike you as odd that they've decided on Leafs country to put a new team. If it were somewhere else in ontario, then I'd say fine, but they down right want to rent their forum out to the new team and have them be in Toronto.
Who is going to buy a team and put it in Quebec City? Who is going to buy a team and what corporate sponsors are they going to get in Winnipeg? Ballisie is what this all centers around and he is rich enough to do what he wants. This is just an idea being floated and nothing more but to think this idea was brought up to bring a Stanley Cup to Ontario because the Leafs and Sens suck is what I find funny.

It seems to me the whole renting the arena was simply a response by Peddie when asked more than anything. I don't believe this is something that MLSE thought up.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-21-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
I agree. as a winnipeger i would rather see van, edm, and cal than the blues and jackets. but i also think that columbus, st.louis, chicago, and Minny would benefit more from being in a division with detroit

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Who is going to buy a team and put it in Quebec City? Who is going to buy a team and what corporate sponsors are they going to get in Winnipeg? Ballisie is what this all centers around and he is rich enough to do what he wants. This is just an idea being floated and nothing more but to think this idea was brought up to bring a Stanley Cup to Ontario because the Leafs and Sens suck is what I find funny.

It seems to me the whole renting the arena was simply a response by Peddie when asked more than anything. I don't believe this is something that MLSE thought up.
Where did I say put one in winnipeg? quebec city? Now you're basing your argument on assumptions so if you want to start talking about intellect now is the time to.

The reason I say it's because the leafs and sens suck is because if it were happening to Montreal, Calgary, New Jersey, Other franchises that are even MILDLY successful, they'd put up a huge stink about having a second team in their city. In Toronto it's like a joyous occassion.

Regardless, they could still keep it in Ontario but why Toronto is all I'm saying. It's ridiculous to have two teams of the same exact city in the NHL. Long Island, Buffalo and New York City aren't all the exact same place and there are much more people in those three places combined then in Toronto.

To me, this idea is ridiculous come on, two teams in one city. That's like entering a 1 ticket only raffle twice. So now Montreal is just going to have Nashville, Phoenix and Atlanta come here and be Montreal #2, #3, #4. It's down right stupid.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Ross MacLochness

If they're relocating a team like Nashville or Atlanta this would be a great, if it's expansion then I wouldn't even bother.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
i think in as little as 3 to 4 years

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I think the NHL & board of governors need to take a long, hard look at the struggling franchises & tell MLSE that(even though they appear to be open minded, trust me, they'd block it) it's tough *&#$ if they don't want another team in Toronto.

Get it done. Get it done within the next few years.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I agree. as a winnipeger i would rather see van, edm, and cal than the blues and jackets. but i also think that columbus, st.louis, chicago, and Minny would benefit more from being in a division with detroit
Swap Columbus with Detroit then. I just put Detroit in the East because I had heard that they were told they would move to the East the first chance they got. Whether the NHL would want to move it's biggest Western Team, East, that remains to be seen I guess.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Where did I say put one in winnipeg? quebec city? Now you're basing your argument on assumptions so if you want to start talking about intellect now is the time to.

The reason I say it's because the leafs and sens suck is because if it were happening to Montreal, Calgary, New Jersey, Other franchises that are even MILDLY successful, they'd put up a huge stink about having a second team in their city. In Toronto it's like a joyous occassion.

Regardless, they could still keep it in Ontario but why Toronto is all I'm saying. It's ridiculous to have two teams of the same exact city in the NHL. Long Island, Buffalo and New York City aren't all the exact same place and there are much more people in those three places combined then in Toronto.

To me, this idea is ridiculous come on, two teams in one city. That's like entering a 1 ticket only raffle twice. So now Montreal is just going to have Nashville, Phoenix and Atlanta come here and be Montreal #2, #3, #4. It's down right stupid.
You might think it's stupid but the NHL is looking at this from a financial point of view and financially it would work. This obviously isn't something that is happening for sure but another team in Toronto or the GTA (which I believe is the most viable place) is a good idea for the league. The whole Peddie thing about the Leafs renting out the ACC is just him babbling IMO. Ballisie, who I believe who be the owner, would build a new state of the art arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
i think in as little as 3 to 4 years
Agreed, I think Atlanta is done within 5 years and probably Nashville too.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Disagree. Relocation usually happens rather quickly, as owners can't afford to keep losing money & neither can the NHL. It could take as little as 1 calendar year to set the wheels in motion.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote