HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN's Bob Mac's Top 60 Prospects

Old
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
TSN's Bob Mac's Top 60 Prospects

Enjoy all. Just got posted.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11437

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

John Carlson at 22 sounds like a very intriguing pick if we are looking at Dmen. We're more than likely to draft a forward though.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Knighttown

Very interesting list and a lot of variance from what is floating around cyber-space. Shocked to see Zac Dalpe not even get an HM.

Knighttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighttown View Post
Very interesting list and a lot of variance from what is floating around cyber-space. Shocked to see Zac Dalpe not even get an HM.
He was Bob's # 32.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
John Carlson at 22 sounds like a very intriguing pick if we are looking at Dmen. We're more than likely to draft a forward though.
well, he's got a great last name so that's a start

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Teamcanada

I think if anything we should take a goalie with #22

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
well, he's got a great last name so that's a start
Silly question, but isn't he the son of one of the Hanson brothers? I thought I saw a report on father and son a few months ago.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
Absolutely not. Eberle, Tedenby or Niemitz would be fine by me. I'm encouraged to see Tedenby at 26 on Bob's list. Hopefully the Oilers can land a solid forward in their spot if there are a ton of d-men taken earlier than expected.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Lowetide

Some huge surprises for me, including the plethora of goalies. Still, Bob's the man.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Guys that I'd like to see us nab in the 2nd round or late 1st...

MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO
JOHN CARLSON
ANTON GUSTAFSSON
MIKHAIL STEFANOVICH
AARON NESS
JARED STAAL
GEORDIE WUDRICK

The thing that I find amusing about this draft is that it is...

1) D-man heavy
2) Lots of smallish players

Just by looking at the stats, I'm not sure how this class can be compared to the '03 draft.

I like Staal a lot due to bloodline, and the fact that he's already got a good frame to him. IMO it'd be hard to go wrong with that kid. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 10-15 picks based on those 2 attributes.

I didn't get a chance to see these guys play, but I usually go through these lists and pick guys that I like for whatever reason.

06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
scout1982

Quote:
I think there is a chance that if they can get a 2nd rounder that they take a goalie in the 1st and possibly take a chance on Staal in the 2nd, if he is still available.

scout1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
I'm actually starting to think that way too. If Pickard (who many project to go to Ottawa at 18) is still there I think the Oil should take him. CHL goaltender of the year. And I like the fact he had real good numbers, but only 2 SO's. To me that means he is extremely consistent and doesn't have too many bad games.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I'm actually starting to think that way too. If Pickard (who many project to go to Ottawa at 18) is still there I think the Oil should take him. CHL goaltender of the year. And I like the fact he had real good numbers, but only 2 SO's. To me that means he is extremely consistent and doesn't have too many bad games.
Drafting a goalie late in the first round is such a crap shoot, even more so than it is a skater. With one pick in the first three rounds, its hard to take a gamble on that. Especially since there is no concensus number #1 goalie out there. We do need to restock the forwards again at any rate, we can still pick a goalie in the 4th or 5th. At that point we could take a flyer on a goalie like Dustin Tokarski.

Old
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

I like Staal a lot due to bloodline, and the fact that he's already got a good frame to him. IMO it'd be hard to go wrong with that kid. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 10-15 picks based on those 2 attributes.
I would. Im the biggest Staal backer here, but top 15 is way too soon. If he goes in the 1st round I'll eat my hat.

That said, Eberle and Staal from this draft and i'll be a happy man this weekend. I think we can nab Eberle at 22 for sure, but I'm wondering if we can even risk dropping 4-5 spots and landing a high-mid 2nd rounder for Staal.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
How high could Pickard go in this draft? Any chance he'll be better than most guys who're expected to be available when we pick?

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I would. Im the biggest Staal backer here, but top 15 is way too soon. If he goes in the 1st round I'll eat my hat.

That said, Eberle and Staal from this draft and i'll be a happy man this weekend. I think we can nab Eberle at 22 for sure, but I'm wondering if we can even risk dropping 4-5 spots and landing a high-mid 2nd rounder for Staal.
What's the pro's/con's on the kid??? Doesn't seem to have as high of an upside as Eric, but seems to be in the same neighborhood as Jordan. After seeing Jordan Staal, IMO Jared (even if he's 1/2 the player) would be a great addition. Add in that the Staal's seem to step in at a rather young age as well.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I take Pickard every day of the week over Dubnyk, twice on Sunday, and the Oilers had no hesitation in reaching for Dubnyk at 15 in his draft year. Then again they had two 1sts and used the latter on Schremp, but if they rolled the dice then and are even remotely happy with Dubnyk's progress to date and potential going forward, I could see Pickard becoming an Oiler at 22 (IMO he WILL be BPA unless somebody like Beach really plummets).

If they aren't overly happy with the Dubnyk pick in hindsight, perhaps they will take a "we learned our lesson" approach to drafting goalies in the 1st round. Only those in the organization know what KLO and Company are truly feeling on that front, but again Pickard is a definite option at 22 and perhaps that leads to a package deal of Schremp and Dubnyk for some immediate help or maybe even to move up and take Pickard before Ottawa at 18. Some food for thought anyway...

For the record, I wouldn't trade Dubnyk and Schremp for the #17 pick straight up to select Pickard, despite the fact we would also have the #22 pick to use on a forward or defenceman. There would have to be more coming back, but two teams to keep an eye on are Columbus and Nashville as both have mutliple 1st rounders with their second picks coming before our first which has to have them thinking goalie. So if we want Pickard it's best to trade with one of those teams to be safe IMO. There would also have to be more coming back, perhaps even a blockbuster in the making *runs and hides from pending proposal*:

To Nashville = Joni Pitkanen, Robbie Schremp, Devan Dubnyk, and #22 pick

To Edmonton = Shea Weber, #15 pick (Pickard), #40 pick, and #76 pick

Your thoughts?

Larry Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
What's the pro's/con's on the kid??? Doesn't seem to have as high of an upside as Eric, but seems to be in the same neighborhood as Jordan. After seeing Jordan Staal, IMO Jared (even if he's 1/2 the player) would be a great addition. Add in that the Staal's seem to step in at a rather young age as well.
Bob Mac has him at 50. The kid screams Mike Grier for me, which isn't a bad thing, but he'll more than likely be a bottom six player. Definitely has the least amount skill when it comes to being a Staal.

Old
06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle View Post
I take Pickard every day of the week over Dubnyk, twice on Sunday, and the Oilers had no hesitation in reaching for Dubnyk at 15 in his draft year. Then again they had two 1sts and used the latter on Schremp, but if they rolled the dice then and are even remotely happy with Dubnyk's progress to date and potential going forward, I could see Pickard becoming an Oiler at 22 (IMO he WILL be BPA unless somebody like Beach really plummets).

If they aren't overly happy with the Dubnyk pick in hindsight, perhaps they will take a "we learned our lesson" approach to drafting goalies in the 1st round. Only those in the organization know what KLO and Company are truly feeling on that front, but again Pickard is a definite option at 22 and perhaps that leads to a package deal of Schremp and Dubnyk for some immediate help or maybe even to move up and take Pickard before Ottawa at 18. Some food for thought anyway...

For the record, I wouldn't trade Dubnyk and Schremp for the #17 pick straight up to select Pickard, despite the fact we would also have the #22 pick to use on a forward or defenceman. There would have to be more coming back, but two teams to keep an eye on are Columbus and Nashville as both have mutliple 1st rounders with their second picks coming before our first which has to have them thinking goalie. So if we want Pickard it's best to trade with one of those teams to be safe IMO. There would also have to be more coming back, perhaps even a blockbuster in the making *runs and hides from pending proposal*:

To Nashville = Joni Pitkanen, Robbie Schremp, Devan Dubnyk, and #22 pick

To Edmonton = Shea Weber, #15 pick (Pickard), #40 pick, and #76 pick

Your thoughts?
First off, nashville could do better elsewhere if they are dealing Weber. I would be choked if I was Nashville fan if I saw that as a return.

Second, there is Pickard, Markstrom, and McCollum all very close to each other, which one is NHLer and which one is the bust? With one first rounder, we can't take that gamble.

Old
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
He's a big kid that still has alot of frame to fill in. Like most of the Staal brothers, he's a late bloomer and hasn't started rounding out. His stats don't say to much, but he played for a poorer then dirt team in Sudbury and managed to come out of the season 2nd in points, 4th in Points/Game (0.86), (tied) 2nd in goals and (tied) 3rd in PPGs.

Our own Mr. Bugg had this to say about him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bugg
I will toss this in, though: I don't think I've ever seen anyone get as many primary assists in a year like this. He doesn't get the secondary very often, and when he does, it's because he helped create the goal.

The biggest thing the kid has going for him is his bloodline. Not in the obvious sense that his last name is Staal and his brothers are great players so he should be one too, but he's got such a wealth of knowledge and support to draw on, great competition and brothers to push him. Playing shinny for years and years more with his brothers shows in his hockey sense. Lastly, the kid should be motivated by himself to make something of it.

I see the kid turning into a serviceable 3rd liner. A mix between a checker, grinder, with a lil powerforward. His greatest potential I see him as a 2nd liner.

Why would the Oilers be interested? Well his family pedigree speaks for itself, and the Oilers have always been high on family bloodline. He's a RW that shoots right, an organizational weakness for us and a valuable commodity on the PP. We have enough prospects to take a chance on another boom/bust, as Schremp's status in that category should sort itself out by September's end . Finally, I think it'd be best for Jared to get away from the Eastern conference. He's the weakest of the Staals and being closer to their spotlight I don't feel would be a positive thing for his development. Besides, we need a Staal in the West.

IMO, he'll be gone by the last 2nd round. If we want a chance at him, it'll be around 40 - 50th

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Absolutely not. Eberle, Tedenby or Niemitz would be fine by me. I'm encouraged to see Tedenby at 26 on Bob's list. Hopefully the Oilers can land a solid forward in their spot if there are a ton of d-men taken earlier than expected.
So because there are good forwards on the board....an area we are loaded in both on the farm and on the current team, we can't take a goaltender? Markstrom sounds like a freakin stud so I don't know why taking him when we have no potential star goaltender on either the team or in the system would be such a bad move. I'm not saying I would be ticked at all if we picked a kid like Eberle, or any highly skilled forward, but Markstrom is looking like he would be both a need and BPA.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Lowe in Oil

Do we attempt to trade for a pick at around #50 to draft the last Staal?

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

If you have guys like Staal floating around in the 2nd round, you'd be foolish not to deal one of Stoll or Torres for at least 1-2nd rounder considering how deep we are up front.

Staal sounds like an elite checker in the making. If he can bring the same type of defensive game as Jordan, and brings 1/2 the offense, he'd be a superb player.

We REALLY need to add some picks in the 2nd round IMO.

Would anyone be against dealing a guy like Greene, Stoll, or Torres for a couple of 2nd rounders from LA???

We'd be shedding salary, lowering the log jam up front for TC, and we'd add some potentially solid prospects to a group that is rather thin up front.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
If you have guys like Staal floating around in the 2nd round, you'd be foolish not to deal one of Stoll or Torres for at least 1-2nd rounder considering how deep we are up front.

Staal sounds like an elite checker in the making. If he can bring the same type of defensive game as Jordan, and brings 1/2 the offense, he'd be a superb player.

We REALLY need to add some picks in the 2nd round IMO.

Would anyone be against dealing a guy like Greene, Stoll, or Torres for a couple of 2nd rounders from LA???

We'd be shedding salary, lowering the log jam up front for TC, and we'd add some potentially solid prospects to a group that is rather thin up front.
Can't give him up quite yet. He's the only guy who knows how to remotely throw a hit on the backend.

Old
06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Teamcanada

I rather take Markstrom; we are loaded with forward and defensive prospects but we are kinda lacking in Goaltending depth..

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote