Notices

Leafs hire Al Coates

Old
06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Leafs hire Al Coates

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2408...s=secStory_nhl and http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=366066

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Coates was involved in player development? I think I remember him giving interviews on the Ducks site about Ducks prospects at the end of the lockout.

Anyways, let the rampant Burke to Toronto rumors continue!

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
lol

"Burke and Wilson played together at Providence."

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:39 AM
kenabnrmal

To be honest, I think this is a pretty tough blow to the Ducks. He's a great hockey mind.

And, while I hate to bow to the undersexed, overly exciteable HFBoards-style journalism of the Canadian sports tabloids, the whole thing is starting to smell like we're going to be looking for a GM next summer.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
To be honest, I think this is a pretty tough blow to the Ducks. He's a great hockey mind.

And, while I hate to bow to the undersexed, overly exciteable HFBoards-style journalism of the Canadian sports tabloids, the whole thing is starting to smell like we're going to be looking for a GM next summer.
What's the perception of the Leafs recent moves there guys?

Laughing, annoyance, indifference?

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
What's the perception of the Leafs recent moves there guys?

Laughing, annoyance, indifference?
I'm not "there" (as in, in the OC), so I'm not sure what the vibe is or anything. But, my perception is that the media up there wants badly to tie the moves back to Burke. To me, they're not necessarily related. Ron Wilson is as good a candidate as any for the coaching job, Coates is a great hockey mind and a good guy to have on board in his own right, and Fletcher staying on isn't a bad idea since there aren't a wealth of good, out-of-work GM's.

That said, if the Leafs really want Burke and Burke wants the Leafs, then I'd be tempted to let him walk from his contract if he agrees to take Bertuzzi with him. You guys ****ing deal with him, thats what you get for poaching. Ha.

Old
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Well, can't disagree with any of that. I don't know if this is some sort of backwards play for Burke or not (sure seems to smell like it), but regardless they seem to be perfectly sound hockey hirings.

Just wondering how it's playing out in the local Anh media. Obviously the Toronto media is their usual over the top selves about it all. I honestly expect rumours of Brian's mother being hired as team chef to circulate soon.

Old
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Well, can't disagree with any of that. I don't know if this is some sort of backwards play for Burke or not (sure seems to smell like it), but regardless they seem to be perfectly sound hockey hirings.

Just wondering how it's playing out in the local Anh media. Obviously the Toronto media is their usual over the top selves about it all. I honestly expect rumours of Brian's mother being hired as team chef to circulate soon.
What media? There probably won't be any coverage whatsoever.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
What media? There probably won't be any coverage whatsoever.
Okay lol. Blogs, whatever? Your guys personal thoughts?

Old
06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
arinkrat*

Al Coates was free to sign with any club because the Ducks did not renew his contract. So I don't really feel one way or another toward Toronto for signing him. Although if Burke is really thinking about going to Toronto, it could raise eyebrows for him not to renew Al Coates' contract with the Ducks.

I'd be really p.o.'d though if Toronto poaches David McNab. McNab has been with the Ducks since their inception and is responsible for finding most, if not all, of the Ducks unsigned college free agents.

Quote:
That said, if the Leafs really want Burke and Burke wants the Leafs, then I'd be tempted to let him walk from his contract if he agrees to take Bertuzzi with him. You guys ****ing deal with him, thats what you get for poaching. Ha.
No kidding. Burke would owe the Ducks one if he left before this season and the Ducks are stuck with Bertuzzi. And if Burke does leave, the new GM is going to have deal with the cap situation Burke created (not all his own doing) as well.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkrat View Post
Al Coates was free to sign with any club because the Ducks did not renew his contract. So I don't really feel one way or another toward Toronto for signing him. Although if Burke is really thinking about going to Toronto, it could raise eyebrows for him not to renew Al Coates' contract with the Ducks.

I'd be really p.o.'d though if Toronto poaches David McNab. McNab has been with the Ducks since their inception and is responsible for finding most, if not all, of the Ducks unsigned college free agents.
I didn't realize the Ducks didn't renew Coates' contract. That does make me feel a bit better about it.

You're right though, if McNab goes, its trouble...

Old
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

My thoughts exactly. Take Burke, but leave us McNab and Murray.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Your guys personal thoughts?
Personally, I think I'm starting to accept that this might be Burke's last season in Anaheim. He has brought the Cup here, perhaps quicker then anyone, including himself could have anticipated, so that coupled with a strong, competitive team, a young, talented core and a growth in the fanbase that saw them sellout the entire season. I guess, what more could you ask for? If Burke feels like the challenge is over and it's time to move on, it's kind of understandable.

Should Burke leave and barring some dramatic crazy time during the 2008-09 season, he's leaving the team in pretty good shape. Sure there are cap issues entering the season and the team is pretty questionable on the defensive end after the 08-09 year, but there's still a decent framework in place, namely players like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Pahlsson, Kunitz, Pronger and Giguere.

Not to make pot shots at the Canucks, but this wouldn't be like in Vancouver where he just couldn't make them and keep them competitive and as a result left them in, maybe not poor shape, but definitely on a downswing. I would rather see Burke leave promptly, now that he has won his title, then to see him over-stay his welcome and be fired for trying to keep the aging parts of this team together in a few years.

My biggest fear, and I think it's one that is shared by a lot of Duck fans is who else is he going to take with him. The Ducks have said goodbye to Chuck Fletcher and now Al Coates over the past three years, both big parts of where Anaheim is today, (although Duck fans may laud Coates more for being the Calgary GM who sent Giguere to Anaheim then as a member of the Ducks). Anaheim is also facing losing Dineen as the bright lights of the NHL beckons. If Burke should leave and somehow take with him folks like David McNab or Bob Murray or even the unlikely possibility of Randy Carlyle, that would hurt Anaheim further.

Right now, and again, barring a large collapse, Anaheim isn't in the position to fire anyone. So any loss is going to hurt the team a bit and not be welcomed with open arms, there will be no cheering in the streets around the Honda Centre if Brian Burke leaves his post with the Ducks, but hopefully this Burke thing isn't a distraction for the whole season, and hopefully if he does leave, he doesn't leave the Ducks mortally wounded in his wake.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 06-17-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Hussar
Talented.

Thank you Brian for getting us a cup, but I am also fine with Burke leaving, and also worry who he could be taking with him. Although i think if he leaves, the job automatically goes to Bob, so I don't worry about the team going down the toilet. McNab may see a promotion as well. I worry that Burke would poach Allaire, who has been with the team forever, and has been responsible for creating some great goalies for us.

I do not like the fact that there is a team right up the 5 that needs a new coach, that i think will be looking hard at Dineen. It really is a perfect match. He is young, has shown he can take a team deep into the playoffs, and knows the ins and outs of the Anaheim game style, personnel, and roster. He also saw alot of Manchester and knows thier players pretty well. It could really put us at a disadvantage as the AHL players of both teams mature.

Hussar is offline   Reply With Quote