HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If Erik Cole is available...

Old
06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
If Erik Cole is available...

...does anyone believe we can't take a shot? He is exactly what we need. I would be thrilled and BG was able to land him.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I seriously can't stand his face. He's got one of those faces you just want to punch.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Maybe throw in Justin Williams too.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Judge Sauer*

I take him on the team in an instant. Not sure what would go the other way though...let the speculations and trade props begin in 5...4...3...2...

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
...does anyone believe we can't take a shot? He is exactly what we need. I would be thrilled and BG was able to land him.
From what I heard they wanted Pitkanen for him...would you trade Komi for him? That's about the asking price.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Garry Valk

I'd trade O'Byrne, Grabo and a first in a heartbeat, if that would do it. I know he makes lots of cash, but Cole is exactly what we need. And we are looking short term, we need to think in the now.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
From what I heard they wanted Pitkanen for him...would you trade Komi for him? That's about the asking price.
Since when does Pitkanen=Komi?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I seriously can't stand his face. He's got one of those faces you just want to punch.
I would love to add Cole to the Habs. For you B of S, I'll talk to Bettman and see if he will allow Cole to wear one of those tinted visors (a la Ovechkin). So that you won't have to look at his face.

06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
GNick42

I'd rather just sign Shanahan. Who probably has a decent year or two left in him. About the length left on Cole's contract anyway. Adding Shanny would allow us to package Higgins to move up and let Timmins get who he wants

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Since when does Pitkanen=Komi?
They are not equal, but Carolina wants an established top 4 guy.

Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I'd rather just sign Shanahan. Who probably has a decent year or two left in him. About the length left on Cole's contract anyway. Adding Shanny would allow us to package Higgins to move up and let Timmins get who he wants
I would have agreed with you last off-season. But after watching Shanahan play this year I'm not so sure. Injuries and age really seemed to catch up to him, so I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Why the hell would we trade Higgins to move up in the draft?

Chris Higgins is going to be a Montreal Canadien for many years. Deal with it.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
terreur

Quote:
me too... thats why i'd take him anyday

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The tank is pretty empty on Shanahan.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The tank is pretty empty on Shanahan.
Agreed 100%. Shanahan isn't the answer to any of our problems.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Cole with the habs would be a big step towards the cup.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:08 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
I'd trade O'Byrne, Grabo and a first in a heartbeat, if that would do it. I know he makes lots of cash, but Cole is exactly what we need. And we are looking short term, we need to think in the now.
I'll add a Canes perspective on this. No, O'Bryne isn't the type of guy that Rutherford is looking for right now and adding Grabo is redundant as the Canes are prettymuch set at forward, and in fact looking to trade a "top 9" guy. The only reason they're really dangling Cole and Ruutu out there is to get a defenseman for the top 4 (likely top 2) in return. If Rutherford wanted to take the Canes into a rebuilding mode that might be an intriguing offer, I like a lot of O'Bryne's potential, but he's not a top 4 guy yet and that's what he's looking for. Really I just don't think the two teams are a good fit for trading this offseason, the three players Carolina would be most interested in are Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek. There's no way Cole is worth a Markov type player and I don't think the Canes would add what it would take to even the deal out. Hamrlik is likely too old for what Rutherford seems to be looking for, and I don't think there's any chance that Komisarek is traded.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Agreed 100%. Shanahan isn't the answer to any of our problems.
I don't know, Shanahan sure would have looked good parked in front of Thomas and Biron during the playoffs. He won't be scoring many goals flying down the wing and wiring home a slapshot, but I think he's still got a year (or two) left scoring Dave Andreychuk style goals.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:18 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'll add a Canes perspective on this. No, O'Bryne isn't the type of guy that Rutherford is looking for right now and adding Grabo is redundant as the Canes are prettymuch set at forward, and in fact looking to trade a "top 9" guy. The only reason they're really dangling Cole and Ruutu out there is to get a defenseman for the top 4 (likely top 2) in return. If Rutherford wanted to take the Canes into a rebuilding mode that might be an intriguing offer, I like a lot of O'Bryne's potential, but he's not a top 4 guy yet and that's what he's looking for. Really I just don't think the two teams are a good fit for trading this offseason, the three players Carolina would be most interested in are Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek. There's no way Cole is worth a Markov type player and I don't think the Canes would add what it would take to even the deal out. Hamrlik is likely too old for what Rutherford seems to be looking for, and I don't think there's any chance that Komisarek is traded.
Dave, as good as Cole is, in terms of trhe comnplete skill package, he doesn't seem to put up th enumbers you'd expect, esp. judging by how he plays against Mtl.

Is it due to playing with a 'shoot first' C, if he's played with Staal ? Just a matter of staying healthy consistently ? I've got this half baked theory [one of many] about players who with the quality of theor goals, blind you to the lack of quantity.

I know, if I think about stuff like this, I've got too much time on my hands.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
BigHab*

No Way Gainey Trades Our Young Vets This Summer!

If Gainey does anything to move up in the draft it will be trading our 25th pick and a prospect. And I do not see him making a move for an elite winger. In my opinion, he is pursuing a free agent center, possibly Oki out of Florida or Marleau out of SJ. Other than that, he will wait for Sundin's decision. Any other moves he makes will be to tweak the roster not overhaul and possibly upset the chemistry that already exists. If all that posters wanted to happen came true, we would have a brand new team come the Fall. Let's keep it realistic, people!

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I don't know, Shanahan sure would have looked good parked in front of Thomas and Biron during the playoffs. He won't be scoring many goals flying down the wing and wiring home a slapshot, but I think he's still got a year (or two) left scoring Dave Andreychuk style goals.
I'm sure Lats can do everything Shanhan can do and more, he just needs the opportunity.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Possibly but I just don't see Shanahan fitting with our team. I think Shanny would expect top 6 minutes and I don't see him getting that with us.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Dave, as good as Cole is, in terms of trhe comnplete skill package, he doesn't seem to put up th enumbers you'd expect, esp. judging by how he plays against Mtl.

Is it due to playing with a 'shoot first' C, if he's played with Staal ? Just a matter of staying healthy consistently ? I've got this half baked theory [one of many] about players who with the quality of theor goals, blind you to the lack of quantity.

I know, if I think about stuff like this, I've got too much time on my hands.
Not entirely true or false as the entire team seems to take their cue from Eric Staal: if Staal is hot, the team is hot. If he's not, the team isn't. Same can be said with Cole; check his numbers after Brindy went down. Much better than the rest of the season. Cole with a decent center will still rock.

However, with the reasons DaveG gave, these two clubs don't make good trading partners.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
GNick42

I want Shanny as much for his leadership and warrior mentality as his goals. At this point ie. Roberts for Pens last year

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I want Shanny as much for his leadership and warrior mentality as his goals. At this point ie. Roberts for Pens last year
Shanny is not much of a warrior, he can't play physical because he breaks down when he does.