HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Pull the trigger already

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 05:06 PM
McLeod73

vCash: 500
Pull the trigger already

I don't know if its just me, but it feels like Lowe only does deals at the deadline now (other than the Comrie deal, he was almost forced to make). I would be happy with a minor deal, just something to show us that he is trying to get this team turned around.

Whatever happens, Ryan Smyth has to remain an Oiler. He should be the Captain right now, not just when Smith is finally dealt.

And I am really getting mad, when I look at the standings and see that Philly's 1st we have will be at least 25th OA or worse and see ANA's 1st we could of had sitting at 5th OA....with a possibility of Ovechkin at the lottery (although, we probably wouldn't be able to sign him anyways).

I have been reading a lot of the trade rumors guys are posting in here. Personally for resolving our goaltending issue.....getting Biron would work fine with me. Biron-Conklin could be a good combo for the years to come.

Guys I would move are....SMITH and CROSS (get Lynch and Woywitka up here). OATES needs to go to a retirement home or somewhere other than Edmonton, PISANI now that he has a one way deal....looks like he has lost that intensity he had last year when he was just trying to stick with the big club. LARAQUE needs to stay, other than him all we have is Rocky Thompson for though-guys in the system and that scares me. A healthy ISBISTER would be nice, next year will be his year and thank god for DVORAK and YORK(awesome). RITA needs some playing time, when they do play him (like last season)...5 mins a game is not near enough, when guys like CHIMERA and PISANI are getting 14-17 mins some nights.

Thats my take on things.....bash me at will if you like or agree with me....just an opinion.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Lowetide

Welcome, McLeod73. I think Lowe has waited this long because the organization decided it wasn't worth mortgaging the future for this one season. Why bother giving up a second rounder for something that will help you now? Might as well use the pick and get someone who can help once they get back in business.

My only objection to that is this constant rant from the Oilers about making the playoffs. A month ago they were saying "we've got to bear down" and "we need to get on a roll". Now they're saying "we need to run the table".

What's next? "We've got to win all the games, hope 2 teams win all their games and the rest of the guys we're chasing don't win at all".

At some point it becomes laughable. That was about the LA game.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:17 PM
oildrop

Yup, Lowe only makes deals at the Draft and at the Trade Deadline. It's pretty pathetic actually. This team was having a terrible run in December/January and nothing was done to try and turn things around and help this team. Now, we are 7 points out of the Playoffs with less then 2 months of hockey left. We will likely miss the Playoffs unless a miracle happens. I don't see miracles happening with this lineup but maybe if Lowe could make a couple moves and give this team a big boost we could make things interesting. Lowe should have made some moves a long time ago and I doubt he will until the Trade Deadline.

Lowe has too much patience and it's killing this team. We've made too many moves for the future and they aren't working out. Lowe needs to trade for the NOW. We've made way too many trades for the future and the future doesn't look too bright with the guys we have in this organization.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:40 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop

Lowe has too much patience and it's killing this team. We've made too many moves for the future and they aren't working out. Lowe needs to trade for the NOW. We've made way too many trades for the future and the future doesn't look too bright with the guys we have in this organization.
Lowe needs to make trades for now? What would that accomplish, a worse draft pick? We aren't going to have any sort of success now. Maybe we should have made a now move earlier but it is about 2 months too late for that.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:42 PM
gretzky2kurri

I've never been a fan of "make a trade for the sake of making a trade" approach.

But for the past month this team has been playing like a team wondering when a trade is gonna happen......and who. From the goaltending (for obvious reasons) and out.

Lowe can't go in the room and tell them all that nobody is gonna get traded and not to worry about anything, because it would be a lie.

The coaching staff and some players a month ago where going on about how the team needed to go on a 10 game run.

I feel only a trade a month ago would have triggered it. Not necessarily the new players effect on the team. But just the fact the trigger was pulled, the players could clear their minds and play hockey.

I know players are big boys that make big money.......and should be able to work through it. I'm just saying it seemed to happen in my veiw.

Observation.

(EDIT) No hurry to make a trade now, unless Lowe can hose someone at the deadline.

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 02-15-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old
02-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Oi'll say!

It's been noted b4 that Anaheim might be doing better than 25th overall if they had gotten an offensively gifted player without giving up anyone from their roster. The pick would still be better than Philly's but it probably wouldn't be down in the top 5 overall.

That being said, Corey Perry is 1 point off the OHL scoring lead right now and is 5 points shy of 100 after just 54 gp.

I agree with the timing of a possible trade though, I'm not a believer in "getting more at the deadline". Very few deadline deals have any impact at all on the current season and this season could have used some kind of a pick me up.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:18 PM
theoilers

Wait Till March

I would wait till March as the deadline grows closer and you know some teams will over pay. Some team will want a Jason Smith or Radek Dvorak and will pay a pretty penny. Smith is playing good hockey while defenseman like Boughner and HIll are struggling and Smith woould command a hefty price if he were traded. Also, the Oilers are in good financial shape and don't have to dump contracts so other GM's know Kevin and sit and wait and not have to worry about getting over / under budget.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:42 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
I would wait till March as the deadline grows closer and you know some teams will over pay. Some team will want a Jason Smith or Radek Dvorak and will pay a pretty penny. Smith is playing good hockey while defenseman like Boughner and HIll are struggling and Smith woould command a hefty price if he were traded. Also, the Oilers are in good financial shape and don't have to dump contracts so other GM's know Kevin and sit and wait and not have to worry about getting over / under budget.

I would like to see the Oilers makes some moves sooner rather then later. Sure waiting might get some desperate offeres but it's a big risk, IMO. What happens if the Oilers are definitely out of the Playoffs by March and guys like Smith or Brewer get injured? Then what? We won't be getting such good returns then. Sure it might not happen that way but there's always that risk.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Matts

Yeah good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I would like to see the Oilers makes some moves sooner rather then later. Sure waiting might get some desperate offeres but it's a big risk, IMO. What happens if the Oilers are definitely out of the Playoffs by March and guys like Smith or Brewer get injured? Then what? We won't be getting such good returns then. Sure it might not happen that way but there's always that risk.
I say the Oilers make moves after next Sat's game vs the Canucks. They should be out of it by then and then we'll see Smith and Oates and Salo gone if anyone wants him for insurance.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:29 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
It would be H-U-G-E mistake to deal Dvorak unless someone offered something ridicilous for him (Havlat) which won't happen. Dvo, York and Torres have been our best players this year and there is no reason to think they won't be next year.
Dvorak likes it here and is a very good player, something we lack, and he needs to stay.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Asiaoil

I think only 4 guys are realistically up for grabs for age/salary reasons:

J Smith - value has never been higher but I dont think he is worth $3 million plus to the Edmonton Oilers (although he is a fine defensive dman). He must net us a young dman in return or a young goalie

T Salo - too bad he couldn't give us one more year of MVP play but I would never discount what the guy did for us over the past 4 years. A 2nd round pick would be nice from Colorado for Salo

A Oates - thanks for teaching the boys a bit about faceoffs Adam - any kind of pick will do or throw him into a Smith deal

G Laraque - everyone knows BG shows up for the playoffs - but we know he will disappear again in October - another addtion to a Smith deal maybe

Realistically if we deal all these guys and come away with decent young goalie like Biron, Ahonen or Norenen and a young dman prospect like Liles or Martin I'll be very pleased.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil

J Smith - value has never been higher but I dont think he is worth $3 million plus to the Edmonton Oilers (although he is a fine defensive dman). He must net us a young dman in return or a young goalie

T Salo - too bad he couldn't give us one more year of MVP play but I would never discount what the guy did for us over the past 4 years. A 2nd round pick would be nice from Colorado for Salo

A Oates - thanks for teaching the boys a bit about faceoffs Adam - any kind of pick will do or throw him into a Smith deal

G Laraque - everyone knows BG shows up for the playoffs - but we know he will disappear again in October - another addtion to a Smith deal maybe

Realistically if we deal all these guys and come away with decent young goalie like Biron, Ahonen or Norenen and a young dman prospect like Liles or Martin I'll be very pleased.
I would agree that those are the four used as trade bait. And as for those who prefer that Lowe makes a trade now than later, are you talking as a GM or as a fan who just can't wait anymore? Lowe isn't a fan, he's got a job to do as GM and its his job to maximize any return from a trade. If that means that he has to wait until the deadline, then so be it. If we're trading a veteran for a prospect then that pretty much will wave a white flag for the rest of the season. I know that most of the posters are pretty pessimistic of our chances to make the playoffs, but I don't think the fat lady has sung yet. But I do think she's warming up backstage...

Old
02-16-2004, 01:22 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

trading jason smith for a goaltender such as biron would be a great idea. im not in the managers office but i bet the oilers dont pick up salos option for next year. im betting by the end of the week, depending on our situation lowe will begin assessing his options. oates is definitely trade bait but who would want him, yes his faceoff prowess is legendary but other than that he has not done anything else this year.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
trading jason smith for a goaltender such as biron would be a great idea. im not in the managers office but i bet the oilers dont pick up salos option for next year. im betting by the end of the week, depending on our situation lowe will begin assessing his options. oates is definitely trade bait but who would want him, yes his faceoff prowess is legendary but other than that he has not done anything else this year.
You look at the NJ roster - and it is just begging for a deal with the Oilers. Their defense has Stevens out, 2 kids starting (Martin and Hale) Sean Brown (nice fists - no talent) and Tommy Albelin (older then dirt). They could use Smith or they will be hurting by the 2nd round. Oates could give them a bit more depth up the middle (Larionov and Rasmussen are both pretty much useless) and even Laraque could help out on RW in the EC playoffs. All of these guys are playoff proven and this is probably NJs last real shot before a rebuilt happens.

Martin and Ahonen - that's what we want
Smith, Oates, Laraque and Salo - that's what we have to offer

Old
02-16-2004, 10:55 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Lowe always waits til the deadline? When was Guerin traded again? I think that counts up there for big trades.

While I don't necessarily agree that Lowe chose the best course with Mike Comrie, he's done pretty well everywhere else, I think. I trust that if he hasn't made a trade yet, it's because it isn't in the team's best interest, and I doubt he's sitting on his hands waiting for the phone to ring.

That being said, I think it's only a matter of time. Lowe's proven he's not afraid to make big moves.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:50 PM
McLeod73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Lowe always waits til the deadline? When was Guerin traded again? I think that counts up there for big trades.

While I don't necessarily agree that Lowe chose the best course with Mike Comrie, he's done pretty well everywhere else, I think. I trust that if he hasn't made a trade yet, it's because it isn't in the team's best interest, and I doubt he's sitting on his hands waiting for the phone to ring.

That being said, I think it's only a matter of time. Lowe's proven he's not afraid to make big moves.
Sure the Guerin deal was a big deal made early in a season. But, it was what 3 years ago now. Deadline Kevy is what he is becoming recently. Can't really count a Sarno for Moss deal as being much. That sure will help the club now...LOL

Old
02-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Matts

In bringing up Hale and Martin and NJ

Here's the reigning Cup holders who are playing two kids fresh out of college while the Oilers are so good they can't afford to break in Bergeron

Old
02-17-2004, 12:11 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well, first off - the guy who said that insinuated that Dvorak should be made available is off his rocker - because of Yorks injury - he'll more then likely end up as our MVP. Dvo has played fantasitc, doesn't make to much, and loves it here in Edmonton. As said, barring a over-pay like a Havlat then Dvo CAN NOT MOVE!!!

Also, the talk about how we should have taken the Ducks deal is silly to me. I mean first off, hindsight is sure playing a heavy roll in this saying, "oh, we would have had a top five pick". Well we have no idea how the Ducks would have reacted to Comrie - for all we know he could have woke them up and got them playing really good. And, to say that we're missing out by having Woywitka over Perry is purely ignorant. There is a reason Perry wasn't taken earlier. He has lots of skill but next to no character/heart/drive/grit. Big deal he's almost leading the OHL in points -we just traded a former OHL scoring champ for a goalie who'll never see the NHL!

Old
02-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Atlantic

Dvo, York and Torres was the best line the Oilers had all season. To break them apart, for the sake of trading to get a prospect or draft picks is ludicrous. Having Phillies number one pick and Woywitka out of the Comrie deal to me was the best offer at the time Lowe could get. I would have pulled the trigger on it myself just to get rid of Comrie and get back down to work of running the team.

Now we all know Salo isn't going to stay as an Oiler for 4 million, if he accepts less great. However by trading him with another player and one of their 2ndr draft picks; Lowe could get a decent centre and possible a first round pick. I'am really pushing as a fan to obtain three first round draft picks. The players at this year draft table are looking very promising now. Having those three picks can bring in decent talent that the Oilers sorely need or the picks can be flipped for the highest taker at draft day for possibly a number one or two overall selection.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:29 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil

J Smith
T Salo
A Oates
G Laraque
I'd have to pretty much agree.

I couls see some others being moved, in the right deal,but these are the guys that seem most likely, outside looking in.

I could also see either of Cross/Ulanov, or maybe even both, moved at the deadline if the value of D at the deadline is high enough. Can always sign them, or someone like them, back in the summer to fill a gap if there is no lockout, and because of the lockout threat there will probably be more D available that normal.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:51 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I'd have to pretty much agree.

I couls see some others being moved, in the right deal,but these are the guys that seem most likely, outside looking in.

I could also see either of Cross/Ulanov, or maybe even both, moved at the deadline if the value of D at the deadline is high enough. Can always sign them, or someone like them, back in the summer to fill a gap if there is no lockout, and because of the lockout threat there will probably be more D available that normal.
I think Cross is the most likely candidate... Ulanov has made him expendable...

And Cross has had a hell of a year. The guy has averaged about 20 minutes, has put up a career high in goals, and tied his career high in points and is a +7. I'm sure there are a couple of teams out there that could use him to fill 14-15 minutes, and his contract is pretty reasonable for a veteran defenceman.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:54 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Here's the reigning Cup holders who are playing two kids fresh out of college while the Oilers are so good they can't afford to break in Bergeron
Those Reigning cup holders also have enough veteran leadership surrounding them that these kids are in an extremely comfortable position, and the team has enough talent to make up for any mistakes these kids make.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Matts

Ok

so teams without vet leadership should never break in young talent? what would you call Staios, Smith and Igor BTW? No they aren;t the big four of the Devils but good enough that MAB can bve a third pairing every night

Old
02-17-2004, 01:32 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
so teams without vet leadership should never break in young talent? what would you call Staios, Smith and Igor BTW? No they aren;t the big four of the Devils but good enough that MAB can bve a third pairing every night
You can break in young talent without veteran leadership, but it's a really stupid idea to try to. And it isn't only the defence that the Devils have solid leadership too. The Devils forwards as a group are the best defensively in the league. And Staois, Smith and Ulanov aren't good enough when Bergeron is turning the puck over 5 times per game and not learning anything from it. The guy's game did not improve a single bit from the start of training camp.

The Oilers struggle enough scoring goals that they don't need to hand over potential chances in the neutral zone every third time MAB is on the ice.

Closed Thread