HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pearn Upset With Martin

Old
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Pearn Upset With Martin

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...not-happy.html

He's upset that he didn't get an interview with Martin. He's upset that Martin didn't call him saying he was moving in another direction. He's upset that he learned of the DeBoer hiring by watching television. Normally I would say who cares about his sour grapes but remember, supposedly Pearn is close to Bouwmeester.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Big deal.. who cares it's a business, suck it up and move on

Egblad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I'd be pissed if I was Pearn but if Martin calls and appologized publicly this would be fixed.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Big deal.. who cares it's a business, suck it up and move on
I agree. Glad we didn't hire him as coach because it sounds like he's a crybaby.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Crossbar

If anyone thought DeBoer was not our first choice for the head coaching job like Martin stated, then I think this should prove he was telling the truth.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
39ontheline

Typical of the org. Not a shock.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Just business. Martin wanted to pull the trigger and get a coach. Maybe he wanted Pete ASAP to give some insight for the draft.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I agree. Glad we didn't hire him as coach because it sounds like he's a crybaby.
Totally agree. Why would you cry in the press about not getting a call? JM is under no obligation to interview him let alone tell him he's moving in another direction. This is just borderline silly. JM never made public throughout the whole process who he was interviewing or interested it. It was only the sportswriters who really talked about it.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

After reading the blog entry I retreat a bit from what I said and JM sounds like a ********* but this is still a business. Pearn feels disrespected more than feeling like he should have got the job.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
Typical of the org. Not a shock.
Yes, im sure JM got a call from the "org" and told him not to call Perry Pearn.

Pearn should have kept his discontent to himself and called JM about it rather than go to the media. If Pearn thinks JM owed him a phone call, Pearn should have done the same thing.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Crossbar

The way I see it, he doesn't really need to interview Pearn like the other candidates, as JM knows him inside and out. DeBoer still needed to sign the contract before being officially hired, so there is always that window where DeBoer could change his mind. We looked like fools the last time we made it public we were hiring Francois Allaire.

Old
06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
After reading the blog entry I retreat a bit from what I said and JM sounds like a ********* but this is still a business. Pearn feels disrespected more than feeling like he should have got the job.
It's more like sour grapes than disrespect. I don't see JM having done anything wrong. It's business. Maybe on a personal friendship level if they were friends then maybe you should put in a phone call, but it's not professionally disrespectful.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
You're an idiot. He didn't tell ANYONE. You wanted Pearn over DeBoer? What?!
He and GP will just find any possible excuse to bash Martin. Pearn is upset? Who ****ing cares???? Not me.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
The way I see it, he doesn't really need to interview Pearn like the other candidates, as JM knows him inside and out. DeBoer still needed to sign the contract before being officially hired, so there is always that window where DeBoer could change his mind. We looked like fools the last time we made it public we were hiring Francois Allaire.

DeBoer did sign a contract, he signed it when they did the press conference!!

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
39ontheline

The likelyhood of you or me knowing the actual coaching difference between Pearn and DeBoer is the same likelyhood of us making it to the hockey hall of fame. I dont know anything about the guy but when a team makes a decision to hire someone its common practice to let everyone else know they havent been hired. I havent read complaints like this about Burke or any REAL gm. Martin is a moron, I hope everyone here enjoys the eternal rebuild.

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-18-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: quoting deleted post and playing mod
Old
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
DeBoer did sign a contract, he signed it when they did the press conference!!
Right, which apparently Pearn was upset because a few days went by and Martin still hadn't called him. Crossbar was trying to say that there was still time for Deboer to change his mind since he hadn't given his Hancock.

It's business, I'm sure it's not at all personal. Sorry Pearn, there's a lot going on.

06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
The likelyhood of you or me knowing the actual coaching difference between Pearn and DeBoer is the same likelyhood of us making it to the hockey hall of fame. I dont know anything about the guy but when a team makes a decision to hire someone its common practice to let everyone else know they havent been hired. I havent read complaints like this about Burke or any REAL gm. Martin is a moron, I hope everyone here enjoys the eternal rebuild.
It's been one day since the ink's been dry 39, give me a break. And you may not have heard those complaints, but there are plenty that go around concerning other GMs. Pearn didn't really give him a ton of time to get on the phone, either. It's more telling on Pearn's side for going public, imo. How's that not and indictment on him?

Continual re-build? This team hasn't re-built properly at all, ever. Martin's at least getting close. I have my reservations about Martin, and there's things I haven't been happy about, but I'm not going to consistently carry on about them either. (Not saying that you are, btw.) I just think his good has outweighed his bad, and by a good margin.

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-18-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: quoting deleted post
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Right, which apparently Pearn was upset because a few days went by and Martin still hadn't called him. Crossbar was trying to say that there was still time for Deboer to change his mind since he hadn't given his Hancock.

It's business, I'm sure it's not at all personal. Sorry Pearn, there's a lot going on.
Its called a ceremony signing. Do you really think he wanted for the camera's to roll to actually sign? God.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Its called a ceremony signing. Do you really think he wanted for the camera's to roll to actually sign? God.
Thanks, I know what it is. Wasn't there a coach that was going to sign here at one of those and chaned his mind? Hasnt' there been times when a coach made an agreement and then changed his mind? The Magic and the Gators coach type of thing.

Again, how's this not an indictment on Pearn? "My friend didn't call, I'm upset!" Meh, sorry. I'm sure it was on Martin's list along with trying to re-sign Bouw, Olesz, Campbell, etc., and the draft, and upcoming FA, and the buy-out season.

I dont' think he meant to hurt Perry's feelings, but c'mon, he took it public?

Old
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Holy Jokinen

When you're looking for a coach, you find several candidates. Why? So in case one drops out, signs somewhere else, whatever, you still have other options.

If you put all of your eggs in one basket, you're gonna get burned, no doubt.

JM has NO obligation to talk to anyone.

Anyways, whether its true or not, i don't know, but JM said that DeBoer was our top guy. I saw it the day we announced it and he said it very very clearly at the presser.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Booth10

Quote:

Probably the same chances as knowing the difference between GM's, or anything else you go on about.

The difference is that Debeor had many head coaching opportunities this year and Pearn didnt. That alone is enough to claim that there IS a difference between the two. Great enough factually, that even you, should allow someone else their opinion.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Slick Cat

This is not about whether or not he deserved the job, it is about professionalism and doing the right thing and martin handled this very poorly. If he worked with the guy for years, or even if he didn't, and it was public that he was a candidate he should have at least communicated with him. Another example of his lack of understanding of what it is to be professional, just like trashing players in the press and not taking any blame for his own failures as coach and GM. While many are quick to brush aside the comments of a "bitter" prospective coach, it says a lot about this organization and is nothing new for just about every GM we have had, and it will come back to bite us becasue Pearn is VERY close to Bouw and Bouw himself experienced how our organization traditionally mistreats people when Dudley made that idiotic trade of the first pick moving down for what amounted to nothing and took away Bouw's earned right to be a number one pick. Now Bouw has the control and to be honest, in his shoes, there is no way I sign with this organization when the leadership is consistently lacking such common respect and class. Then we wonder why we have NEVER been able to recruit any quality free agents. It's not only the money.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Man, the Martin bashers will jump on him at every chance.

If Bouw's going to leave because Pearn cried to the press, taht just means he didn't want to be here anyway. Again, Pearn went whining to the press, how does he not look unprofessional? Again, all teams have had coaches get after players in the papers, it's nothing new.

It's not all about the money, the fact that we've had a revolving door at GM, coach, and player personal has also lended a huge hand in that they've all attributed to this team's falilures. What, is there a memo left by the outgoing GM, or is there from Cohen that all GMs have to be arses to the rest of the NHL? What do you mean it's a reflection on this organization from the last few years? There are and have been much worse GMs throughout the league. Keenan wasn't always with Florida.

Last edited by Laus723: 06-18-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Crossbar

Quote:

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for not making it clear and thanks for explaining better Laus723.

Similar to Ron Wilson's hiring with the Leafs, it was all verbal agreement up until the actual signing. There was always the possibility Deboer could have changed his mind and Pearn could still have been in the picture.

Old
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for not making it clear and thanks for explaining better Laus723.

Similar to Ron Wilson's hiring with the Leafs, it was all verbal agreement up until the actual signing. There was always the possibility Deboer could have changed his mind and Pearn could still have been in the picture.
Exactly.

Quote:
Man, the Martin bashers will jump on him at every chance.

If Bouw's going to leave because Pearn cried to the press, taht just means he didn't want to be here anyway. .
I know, it's pathetic how they will make something out of nothing. Every word you just said is 100% correct.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote