HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Kevin Lowe Worthy of HHOF?

Old
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
razman22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
As I said, I have not seen him play, but 6 cups really IS a striking number. Is there anyone who won as many or more?
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/silver_stFFFs.htm

Lot's of Habs have won more and they're not all in the HHOF. A good defenceman in his day but Lowe was never a 1st or 2nd team all star and isn't HHOF worthy.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
edmonton_ice

No

Kevin Lowe was a great stay at home defenseman but he is not Hall of Fame bound as a player

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
HOF

Very good man, but not HOF worthy IMO.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Spawn

He's not a HOF player, and cetainley hasn't warranted being considered for the builders category.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
JonQuixote

Yes. Yes. Yes.

The only real knock on Lowe's otherwise stellar career is that he didn't produce a lot of points. Everything else, he did. He has a lot more going for him than 6 cups (though how much more should it take?).

He was an elite defensive defenseman and by all accounts a major presence in the locker room. Messier gets all the leader hype, but Kevin Lowe was standing right next to him during all his "legendary" moments.

Lowe only missed the playoffs ONCE in his 19 year career, and he only played half the season with the team that fell short (The Messier led Rangers). He was a 7 time All-star. His fire was unsurpassed. But a big part of why he was so good is that he was willing to shine the spotlight on others while cleaning up their messes. He was unsung, but essential to every single one of his Cup teams.

No question. If he had better offensive totals, he would have been a first-ballot inductee. But there is a heck of a lot more to the game than launching bullets on the power play, and Lowe did everything else, at Among The Best Ever levels. I would love to see him in. Rod Langway is in there. You are not going to hear a convincing argument that Langway was playing at another level than Lowe. Just had better press.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Yes. Yes. Yes.

The only real knock on Lowe's otherwise stellar career is that he didn't produce a lot of points. Everything else, he did. He has a lot more going for him than 6 cups (though how much more should it take?).

He was an elite defensive defenseman and by all accounts a major presence in the locker room. Messier gets all the leader hype, but Kevin Lowe was standing right next to him during all his "legendary" moments.

Lowe only missed the playoffs ONCE in his 19 year career, and he only played half the season with the team that fell short (The Messier led Rangers). He was a 7 time All-star. His fire was unsurpassed. But a big part of why he was so good is that he was willing to shine the spotlight on others while cleaning up their messes. He was unsung, but essential to every single one of his Cup teams.

No question. If he had better offensive totals, he would have been a first-ballot inductee. But there is a heck of a lot more to the game than launching bullets on the power play, and Lowe did everything else, at Among The Best Ever levels. I would love to see him in. Rod Langway is in there. You are not going to hear a convincing argument that Langway was playing at another level than Lowe. Just had better press.
Not much more and Lowe had it.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I agree

Oilers #1 draft choice in franchise history. Scoring the first Edmonton Oilers goal in it's NHL franchise history.

Led Campbell Conference defensemen in voting for 1988 and 1989 NHL All-Star Games

Winner of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy (along with multiple nominations).

He's going to get in. Maybe 20 years from now, but one day he's destined to get in. He was just too good, and that team was unreal. Anyone that was a part of all 5 of those cups should be in. I'm pretty sure the HHOF will see it that way too.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I agree

Oilers #1 draft choice in franchise history. Scoring the first Edmonton Oilers goal in it's NHL franchise history.

Led Campbell Conference defensemen in voting for 1988 and 1989 NHL All-Star Games

Winner of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy (along with multiple nominations).

He's going to get in. Maybe 20 years from now, but one day he's destined to get in. He was just too good, and that team was unreal. Anyone that was a part of all 5 of those cups should be in. I'm pretty sure the HHOF will see it that way too.
These two quotes basically echo my sentiments.

For a player to have the history he has with one team (first rounder, championships, and now GM), I think he should be a shoe-in.

There are far less deserving players in the HHOF - so why not Lowe?

On a side note - when will Paul Henderson get inducted? He scored hockey's most famous goal (not to mention the game winners for games 6 & 7 too). I could care less about his NHL numbers, what he did in the Summit Series warrants an induction IMO.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
If he wins a cup as a GM, and continues to work with Team Canada he is in. He is not good enough as a player, and not an elite builder, but combine it all together and he is an important part of hockey history! He will be the Dick Duff vote of 2029...if one of his Oiler teams wins the cup...

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
bleed_oil

Good defensive Dman, but should he be in the Hall of Fame?
Only an Oiler fan would even ask the question.
He was a not too physical defensive Dman with average offensive skills. Hardly the stuff of legends.
I would say of the great Oilers teams Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey and Fuhr are enough for the Hall.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
Hockey Hall of Fame... Probly not though i would not be opposted to it.
Edmonton Oiler Hall of Fame.. Damn stright he should be in it.

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
goliath5151

6 stanley cups is an over rated stat when he was MAYBE the 7th best player on a dynasty. And I dont at all believe that "everyone" from those dynasty teams should get in. A hall of fame worthy player should be hall worthy even if he DIDNT win any cups. You cant say that about Lowe.

Besides, if we're basing it purely on Cups, theres a ton of Montreal players who should get the nod over Lowe.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote