HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Spiders in Florida

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
  #1
dkhockey
Registered User
 
dkhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Devilsmark
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
OT: Spiders in Florida

Hey all, just wanna know if big spiders often show up in houses or hotel rooms in Florida, or is it rare?

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:22 PM
  #2
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Slumpin' Like A Soph
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Um well I'd say it's fairly rare, depending on what part of Florida you're in. Inside my apt, I get these really tiny ones that like the area where the wall meets the ceiling. They are instantly squashable, easier to kill than an ant even.

I have had a few big ones on the outside but they never budge when they are there. They're actually stopping stuff from getting into my front door, that and the little lizards.

Generally speaking though, not really. Not to mention that Florida isn't home to too many poisonous things anyway. Though when I worked at Spaceship Earth, there was a brown recluse that lived there ::shudders::

__________________

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
  #3
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come
 
FlaPnthrsPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Coconut Creek, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
It depends how clean the place where you are actually is. We do have TONS of bugs down here, but I've learned that if you keep your surroundings rather tidy, you don't have to worry about it anywhere as much.

FlaPnthrsPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
  #4
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Yea if its a nice place you won't have spiders...its not like the old country over here just everything is more spread out. Also theres a good amount of lizards so get used to them.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
  #5
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Slumpin' Like A Soph
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Yea if its a nice place you won't have spiders...its not like the old country over here just everything is more spread out. Also theres a good amount of lizards so get used to them.
Those are good things though. They eat bugs which is pretty important. This is also the only reason spiders aren't 100% evil, heh.

In fact I've been freaked out many a time by what appear to be these giant mosquito things that sit on the walls. These things with very long thin legs, are actually a bug that's 100% designed to eat mosquitos and does not attack anything else (they're also incredibly fragile for some reason).

Are you asking because you had to deal with one? I'd say the worst thing I've probably had is a palmetto bug or wasps.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
  #6
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
It depends how clean the place where you are actually is. We do have TONS of bugs down here, but I've learned that if you keep your surroundings rather tidy, you don't have to worry about it anywhere as much.
Yeah exactly. It also helps to spray the outside and even inside of your living quarters regularly. As long as you do that, you won't have a lot of bugs. If you see a black widow though, do not go near it. They bite you, you die. If you have to, try to kill it somehow without getting close to it. I wouldn't expect to see that inside of where you live though, unless it is an absolute hole.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
  #7
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Due to my job, I come across a lot of insects and wildlife-no I'm not a critter control guy-so I started looking things up. My wife got me a book called "Spiders of Florida" that details each spider that's found here and whether or not they're poisonous and their habits and habitat. They're pretty fascinating creatures.

They don't usually get into the house, but cleanliness doesn't matter as much as you may think. If they want in, they'll usually find a way. The only ones that are really poisonous in Florida are the Widows and the Brown Recluses. Don't see too many of them inside houses. The most common are the Wolf Spiders and the Jumpers.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
  #8
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah exactly. It also helps to spray the outside and even inside of your living quarters regularly. As long as you do that, you won't have a lot of bugs. If you see a black widow though, do not go near it. They bite you, you die. If you have to, try to kill it somehow without getting close to it. I wouldn't expect to see that inside of where you live though, unless it is an absolute hole.
If you get to the hospital quick enough you'll be fine. Though, you'll likely experience the washboard stomach effect and some of the other things associated with their bites.

What a strange subject...lol.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
  #9
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah exactly. It also helps to spray the outside and even inside of your living quarters regularly. As long as you do that, you won't have a lot of bugs. If you see a black widow though, do not go near it. They bite you, you die. If you have to, try to kill it somehow without getting close to it. I wouldn't expect to see that inside of where you live though, unless it is an absolute hole.
The aforementioned brown recluse spider is actually deadlier than the black widow. It's the deadliest in North America.

However, the Daddy Longlegs has the most potent poison - but it's unable to deliver enough of a bite to even matter to humans.

Oh, and for the record - I hate spiders And those Jumpers have nasty bites. We've got them here in Vermont, too (presuming you mean the same little gray and black spiders with short legs that can hop something like 6 inches). I got bitten by one once and ended up with a welt the size of a quarter - not bad for a bug that's about 1/10th as big around as a penny.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
  #10
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
The aforementioned brown recluse spider is actually deadlier than the black widow. It's the deadliest in North America.

However, the Daddy Longlegs has the most potent poison - but it's unable to deliver enough of a bite to even matter to humans.

Oh, and for the record - I hate spiders And those Jumpers have nasty bites. We've got them here in Vermont, too (presuming you mean the same little gray and black spiders with short legs that can hop something like 6 inches). I got bitten by one once and ended up with a welt the size of a quarter - not bad for a bug that's about 1/10th as big around as a penny.
That's actually an urban myth about the long legs. Mild venom and plenty large enough 'fangs.'

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
  #11
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
If you get to the hospital quick enough you'll be fine. Though, you'll likely experience the washboard stomach effect and some of the other things associated with their bites.

What a strange subject...lol.
Yeah actually, you're right. But if left untreated, you will die.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:51 PM
  #12
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah actually, you're right. But if left untreated, you will die.
True, but not always. If you're allergic to their venom, you're in for it for sure. Have you guys watched the 1000 to die thing on Spike? Some guy allowed himself to get by his Widow because he wanted to build up an ammunity. He didn't go to the hospital and instead he died in his apartment. Well, in his delusional state, he let loose all of his other critters, which fed on him until they checked on him.


ewwww.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:53 PM
  #13
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
The aforementioned brown recluse spider is actually deadlier than the black widow. It's the deadliest in North America.

However, the Daddy Longlegs has the most potent poison - but it's unable to deliver enough of a bite to even matter to humans.

Oh, and for the record - I hate spiders And those Jumpers have nasty bites. We've got them here in Vermont, too (presuming you mean the same little gray and black spiders with short legs that can hop something like 6 inches). I got bitten by one once and ended up with a welt the size of a quarter - not bad for a bug that's about 1/10th as big around as a penny.
I didn't know that about the brown recluse. I do know however, that I'd never want to see one. Aren't they the big hairy suckers? People who don't live in Florida and don't know much about living down here must be reading this thinking what a wild jungle environment these people live in. LOL. It's really not that bad. The thing that I fear most in Florida is actually fire ants. I freaking hate them. They're everywhere, and even though they're like less than half the size of regular black ants, they leave a huge bite mark and swelling the size of a golf ball or larger usually. I guess for different people it's different. A doctor told me I'm a person likely to feel the effects of their poison at a very high rate. They're merciless too, it's never just one bite usually. They climb all over you, lots of them, and bite very quickly. I take great pleasure in killing them with spray, probably too much pleasure LOL.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:55 PM
  #14
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
True, but not always. If you're allergic to their venom, you're in for it for sure. Have you guys watched the 1000 to die thing on Spike? Some guy allowed himself to get by his Widow because he wanted to build up an ammunity. He didn't go to the hospital and instead he died in his apartment. Well, in his delusional state, he let loose all of his other critters, which fed on him until they checked on him.


ewwww.
I'll take your word for it, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject at all.

About the guy dying in his apartment thing, that's just dumb. He pretty much deserved to die.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:58 PM
  #15
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I didn't know that about the brown recluse. I do know however, that I'd never want to see one. Aren't they the big hairy suckers? People who don't live in Florida and don't know much about living down here must be reading this thinking what a wild jungle environment these people live in. LOL. It's really not that bad. The thing that I fear most in Florida is actually fire ants. I freaking hate them. They're everywhere, and even though they're like less than half the size of regular black ants, they leave a huge bite mark and swelling the size of a golf ball or larger usually. I guess for different people it's different. A doctor told me I'm a person likely to feel the effects of their poison at a very high rate. They're merciless too, it's never just one bite usually. They climb all over you, lots of them, and bite very quickly. I take great pleasure in killing them with spray, probably too much pleasure LOL.
I hate the fire ants as well, especially since they always seem to bite Ivy. I took peasure in pullng one a part starting with it's legs. DON'T HURT MY KID!

Brown Recluses are very small. The hairy ones are likely the jumping spiders. I love those things, they're quite fascinating. They're smart problem solvers. If they see food across a small pond, anyhing within sight, it'll figure out how to get there and will remember the prey's position.

Recluses, on the other hand, leave a nasty bite. It's venom eats away at your skin and kills the cells. Sometimes it takes a skin graft to properly fix the wounded area.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:02 AM
  #16
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
I only know because I've read so much. As I said, I encounter the things all the time, I wanted to know what to stay far away from and what was OK.

Yeah, that kid was definitely an idiot.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:06 AM
  #17
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I hate the fire ants as well, especially since they always seem to bite Ivy. I took peasure in pullng one a part starting with it's legs. DON'T HURT MY KID!
Brown Recluses are very small. The hairy ones are likely the jumping spiders. I love those things, they're quite fascinating. They're smart problem solvers. If they see food across a small pond, anyhing within sight, it'll figure out how to get there and will remember the prey's position.

Recluses, on the other hand, leave a nasty bite. It's venom eats away at your skin and kills the cells. Sometimes it takes a skin graft to properly fix the wounded area.
Um.....OK. LOL. j/k. Who am I to talk, I'm like Rambo with the fire ant spray. LOL

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
  #18
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Um.....OK. LOL. j/k. Who am I to talk, I'm like Rambo with the fire ant spray. LOL
I used to stick M-80s into the anthills as a kid and blow em up. We were never in short supply of explosives after the 4th.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
  #19
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I used to stick M-80s into the anthills as a kid and blow em up. We were never in short supply of explosives after the 4th.
M-80s? Little bit of overkill, don't you think? That's hilarious.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:20 AM
  #20
dkhockey
Registered User
 
dkhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Devilsmark
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Okay, thanks........so i guess it can happen, in bed at night, and one of those thing could be sitting on the wall...... but keeping things clean will help..
.
I can´t help thinking about that Scene in the movie "Arachnophobia" with the guy in bed and it looks like a huge spider is on the wall, and it turns out to be a hanger of some sort.......that was creepy......LOL

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:02 AM
  #21
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I didn't know that about the brown recluse. I do know however, that I'd never want to see one. Aren't they the big hairy suckers?
Don't think they are - you're probably thinking of tarantulas.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:01 AM
  #22
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Due to my job, I come across a lot of insects and wildlife-no I'm not a critter control guy-so I started looking things up. My wife got me a book called "Spiders of Florida" that details each spider that's found here and whether or not they're poisonous and their habits and habitat. They're pretty fascinating creatures.

They don't usually get into the house, but cleanliness doesn't matter as much as you may think. If they want in, they'll usually find a way. The only ones that are really poisonous in Florida are the Widows and the Brown Recluses. Don't see too many of them inside houses. The most common are the Wolf Spiders and the Jumpers.
Yeah, they'll find their way in. When we lived in an apartment in Orlando, we'd find the occasional spider, even though we cleaned and sprayed frequently. Our apartments were lined by forest, so it was inevitable they'd find their way in when they wanted to.

I remember waking up one night and seeing a spider on the wall above our headboard. ****ing freaked me out. I sprayed often after that incident, but still would see a spider in the apartment every now and then.

Brown recluses are nasty, though. When I was in high school, I worked weekends at the Florida Medical & Dental College near Cypress Creek Rd & I95 (it is now an office building). That place was infested with those damn things. A secretary got bit by a baby recluse and ended up in the hospital for weeks. They had to use acid to burn off the venom from her body. It left some very deep scarring. The babies are the worst, since they bite longer and release a lot of venom.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:58 AM
  #23
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
M-80s? Little bit of overkill, don't you think? That's hilarious.
lol, we were a bit crazy. Explosion was fun, but then we had to fill the holes. It wasn't like there was a dirt-pile left afterwards either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Yeah, they'll find their way in. When we lived in an apartment in Orlando, we'd find the occasional spider, even though we cleaned and sprayed frequently. Our apartments were lined by forest, so it was inevitable they'd find their way in when they wanted to.

I remember waking up one night and seeing a spider on the wall above our headboard. ****ing freaked me out. I sprayed often after that incident, but still would see a spider in the apartment every now and then.

Brown recluses are nasty, though. When I was in high school, I worked weekends at the Florida Medical & Dental College near Cypress Creek Rd & I95 (it is now an office building). That place was infested with those damn things. A secretary got bit by a baby recluse and ended up in the hospital for weeks. They had to use acid to burn off the venom from her body. It left some very deep scarring. The babies are the worst, since they bite longer and release a lot of venom.
I didn't know that about baby Recluses. Man, poor woman. I've heard when Recluses bite, you don't really know until you start to see the damage. At least that's what my neighbor said after he was bit. Looked like his foot was gonna fall off.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:04 AM
  #24
HockeySS19
Registered User
 
HockeySS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
I've actually had a couple of black widows on my patio before..and they've had eggs. Those massive, ugly eggs. We killed both of them (and destroyed the eggs), but they are not cool.

When I was at a neighbor's house one time, they had one of those Fisher-Price picnic tables for their kids...and guess who was hiding underneath it? Another black widow.

This land may have been the Everglades once, but I don't want to see those things! I hate anything that bites or stings ME. Go hurt other animals, don't hurt me. Snakes, wasps, spiders, ants.. I'm especially freaked out by wasps because they fly and change direction without any notice...one moment they're a few yards away, and then instantly they're flying around your head. I can't deal with that, I freak out.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
  #25
dkhockey
Registered User
 
dkhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Devilsmark
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
lol, we were a bit crazy. Explosion was fun, but then we had to fill the holes. It wasn't like there was a dirt-pile left afterwards either.



I didn't know that about baby Recluses. Man, poor woman. I've heard when Recluses bite, you don't really know until you start to see the damage. At least that's what my neighbor said after he was bit. Looked like his foot was gonna fall off.
So you can´t feel the bite?......i would think it would hurt a bit....i am surprised!

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.