HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Spiders in Florida

Old
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
dkhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Yeah, they'll find their way in. When we lived in an apartment in Orlando, we'd find the occasional spider, even though we cleaned and sprayed frequently. Our apartments were lined by forest, so it was inevitable they'd find their way in when they wanted to.

I remember waking up one night and seeing a spider on the wall above our headboard. ****ing freaked me out. I sprayed often after that incident, but still would see a spider in the apartment every now and then.

Brown recluses are nasty, though. When I was in high school, I worked weekends at the Florida Medical & Dental College near Cypress Creek Rd & I95 (it is now an office building). That place was infested with those damn things. A secretary got bit by a baby recluse and ended up in the hospital for weeks. They had to use acid to burn off the venom from her body. It left some very deep scarring. The babies are the worst, since they bite longer and release a lot of venom.
Thanks for your response
That headboard story is just the thing i fear......LOL......also you say dental, i would hate to sit with my mouth open for a long time in that place!
..what kind of spray is it, that you use to repel those 8-legged freaks?

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
So you can´t feel the bite?......i would think it would hurt a bit....i am surprised!
Well, I've heard from people that it feels like an ant bite or a nasty modquito bite. The bit's not what does the damage, it's the venom.

06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
Thanks for your response
That headboard story is just the thing i fear......LOL......also you say dental, i would hate to sit with my mouth open for a long time in that place!
..what kind of spray is it, that you use to repel those 8-legged freaks?
I use an all-purpose pest spray that you can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes. You can get stronger stuff through a commercial pest control supplier, but it's not necessary if you spray frequently.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I don't mind the spiders at all and the ants aren't as bad to me as the roaches. Hate those nasty things.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Don't think they are - you're probably thinking of tarantulas.
No, I know what tarantulas are, but I thought recluses were also big and hairy but were brown instead of black.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
You know what's crazy.. how spiders set up their webs at night and are gone by late morning.. but it's gross walking into the gigantic ones that are sometimes a good 15-20 feet wide, believe it or not. In my yard up here in Northern Florida, they do get that big. I hate walking into spider webs. Hate it.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
dkhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
You know what's crazy.. how spiders set up their webs at night and are gone by late morning.. but it's gross walking into the gigantic ones that are sometimes a good 15-20 feet wide, believe it or not. In my yard up here in Northern Florida, they do get that big. I hate walking into spider webs. Hate it.
Yeah, i know the feeling, you have to quickly find someone to ask, if there is a spider on your back, right!?

Thanks for all your answers...

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Yes I do hate that, I have one that often gets set up over night between my entrance bushes. I always test to see if I need to knock it down. These things don't learn, your home keeps getting wrecked, why keep making it there?

Also if you can very easily see webs, i.e. cobwebs? Those are cluttered with dust and almost certainly abandoned webs.

Another FYI, people often assume a tarantula is poisonous when it is not. I'm sure the bite would hurt plenty, but no real toxin to speak of.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Yes I do hate that, I have one that often gets set up over night between my entrance bushes. I always test to see if I need to knock it down. These things don't learn, your home keeps getting wrecked, why keep making it there?

Also if you can very easily see webs, i.e. cobwebs? Those are cluttered with dust and almost certainly abandoned webs.

Another FYI, people often assume a tarantula is poisonous when it is not. I'm sure the bite would hurt plenty, but no real toxin to speak of.
Correct, Tarantulas are just big and ugly. But not harmful to humans. I wouldn't want those fangs in my skin, though.

Thing with spiders is, if the foods good there, they'll keep re-building. Stubborn little suckers.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote