HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line ideas

Old
06-21-2008, 05:01 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Thoreson as 3rd center? No thank you. Infact, has he evan played an center in the NHL?
He did as someone mentioned, although I rather him be a 4th center, not sure he is a 3rd center in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
not bad. i want parent and timonen to be a pair tho
Its a possibility. That would spread the wealth with Coburn on the 2nd pairing. That might also give you the option of moving Eminger up to the 2nd pairing. I might be ok if he is with Coburn, but rather have Parent with a veteran if he is going to start playing 20 minutes a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I haven't seen anything to indicate Parent is capable of playing 20+ minutes a night in the NHL (yet)
Other than a couple bad games and some usual rookie mistakes, he looked very steady to me. That taste of the NHL should go a long way to him developing in his 2nd year. I would be fine with it if he is playing with a veteran dman.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I just see that top line having a ton of offensive potential. Its never too early to post line predictions for hockey fans. I know we don't know who will be on the team yet, but for me it is fun.
this is a hockey forum...who said you could have fun

you'll have no fun and like it !

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
there's a lot of other ideas rattling aroud in my brain. the one line i want, no questions asked, is hartnell-richards-lupul. after that, i can argue for a whole lot of other combinations. i like giroux as a winger for carter, but i thought carts was most effective in a cycle game with knuble and upshall last year, especially late. i think downie could also serve as a replacement for knuble in that position, and maximize his playmaking skills (he's a pretty good passer).

Thats part of the genius of what Homer's put together to me. I like Hartnell, Upshall, Downie, Umberger or Knuble on ANY of those lines. It's clear the man has a plan, it all comes down to who gets moved for a Dman. This summer may not be as eventful as last years but I'm just as excited about what happens. Too bad it took such a horrible season for me to appreciate hockey in July the way I do now.
i like the hartnell richards lupul line but that leaves our top line with no stregnth...it needs hartnell

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Guy Incognito

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Briere - Giroux
Upshall - Carter - Knuble
Thoresen - Krog - Downie
Cote

Timonen - Coburn
Jones - Eminger
Parent - Hatcher
Kukkonen

Biron
Niittymäki

But I really liked the Hartnell - Richards - Downie.

Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd still like to see Brad Stuart if we go out and blow a buck on a Dman, any word on his status/price with Detroit?

06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothWithTheBiscuit View Post
I'd still like to see Brad Stuart if we go out and blow a buck on a Dman, any word on his status/price with Detroit?
I'd like to see him too but sadly I don't think we have room for him. With the cap set to be 56.3 million, we'll just have to wait and see what Homer comes up with. I don't think he's done wheeling and dealing.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:48 PM
dawkins121

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Lupul-Richards-Giroux
Thoreson-UFA center-Downie

When Gagne was healthy him and Briere and some good chemistry and Hartnell brings grit to the line. That Carter line was probably our most effective line in the Pittsburgh series, especially in containing Malkin. I'd like to give them a chance during the regular season to see what they can do. I really want Giroux on Richard's wing because I feel like he's too small to be with Briere and Carter just doesn't have the ice vision to maximize the amount of skill and speed that Giroux has. On the fourth line I don't think Dowd is coming back but he was just a plug in guy. Thoreson has some great hustle and it's time for Downie to stop screwing around and prove that he's more than just a goon. He has the talent to be a top 6 winger, now he needs to prove he has the discipline to handle it.

Timmonen-Coburn
Hatcher-Jones
Parent-Eminger

First pairing a no-brainer. I think Hatcher will be back and him and Jones played well together and even though I think they make a good 3rd pairing at best, I just can't see Parent and Eminger stepping into top 4 spots. That pairing also scares me. I'm not sure if having Eminger, a guy who was a healthy scratch for most of last season and seems to have confidence issues, is the greatest guy to be pairing a developing D-man like Parent with. In a perfect world Parent's stay at home style would be a nice compliment to Eminger's offensive skills and rush speed but I don't know if that will happen. I would really like to sign a solid 2nd pairing guy, move Parent up and let him see some action with the new vet, and bump Jones down to the 3rd pairing with Eminger.

Biron
Nittymaki

Not a whole lot of options or controversy here. As many questions and concerns I have about the offense and defense, I think it all comes down to Biron. If he can consistently play like he did for the beginning of last season and the beginning of the playoffs, then the Flyers will have success. If not, then the Flyers will struggle.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Kaktus*

Thi is how I would roll lines a least at the beginning of the season:

Forwards:

Gagne Briere Giroux (I would give this line a shot, some question marks with rookie and Gagnes health and D)
Hartnell Richards Lupul (solid physical line, scored some goals during last season, can go against top lines)
Upshall Carter Knuble (looked very good in playoffs, can go against top lines)
Thorosen XXX Downie (Hopefully Downie will jump aup and down to/from Richards line)
Cote

AHL call ups: Ruzicka, Matsumoto (I would like to see what he can do), Greentree (maybe)

D-men:
Timonen Coburn (do not need to explain, we can always break them up when needed)
Parent Eminger (maybe move Jones instead of Parent)
Jones Kukkonen (believe it or not they played well together)

AHL call ups: Guenin, Syvret, Ratchuk, Bartulis (maybe)

Goalies:
Biron
Nitty

Pending:
Carter contract is not confirmed yet.
Jones is not signed yet but probably will be
Hatcher will he retire or stay?
Cote is not signed yet but I do not think its going to be a problem

What I would like to see:
I would love to get some 6'2 to 6'4 line center on 4th line, who is good on faceoffs, physical and skates well. I know I know easier said then done but Dowd is not our answer.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 06-22-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
jyoung

so, one thing i noticed is that we really have 5 right wings that should be playing on this team, in Lupul Knuble Upshall Downie and Giroux. Now the question is who can play left wing the best out of this group? I saw most of you had Lupul on the left, which I think means that the best possible combination of forward lines are.....

Gagne Briere Knuble
A dynamic scoring line, with Briere and Gagne doing the pretty stuff, and Knuble doing the dirty work.
Lupul Carter Giroux
A sniper line, they could be very high scoring, but defense worries me a bit. However their awesome potential on offense makes them a good combine, and with Carter and Lupul, they could do GREAT with Giroux in their.
Hartnell Richards Upshall
Yes I know, Richards probably isn't on a checking line, but this is more then a checking line, this line has the potential to be a shutdown line and a agitating line and a scoring line. Richards would center and make this line possibly our best, which is scary.
Thoreson Dowd Downie
Solid 4th line, Downie and Thoereson were very impressive last year.

Tolpeko Cote Reserve forwards, but Tolpeko is only 23, and I think he brings decent energy..

Timonen Coburn
Hatcher Jones
Parent Eminger
Kukkonen as a 7vnth defenseman, Ratchuk should be here soon...
^Plug in a free agent for whoever you wish if we have room.

Last edited by jyoung: 06-22-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot about Kukks
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:24 PM
chromemaro

the problem with our d is we need a verteran partner for parent, eminger, and jones.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:15 PM
McNasty

Gagne-Richards-Lupul Very good speed and good defensively

Hartnell-Briere-Giroux Will probably need to be out there with Timonen and Coburn but should be a solid 2nd line.

Upshall-Carter-Downie Upshall and Downie together runs some risk b/c they are undisciplined but Upshall and Downie banging down low should be able to feed Carter some passes out in front

Cote and Thoresen will be on the 4th line, Thor at either RW/C depending on who they add or promote.

Defensively it depends on what they can get.
Timonen and Coburn are a lock
If we add a guy like Ron Hainsey I suspect he'll play along side Parent.
That leaves Jones Kukkonen Eminger for the bottom pairing assuming Hatcher retires. I'm thinking if Hatch was going to stick around we wouldn't have traded a 1st rounder for Eminger.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
so, one thing i noticed is that we really have 5 right wings that should be playing on this team, in Lupul Knuble Upshall Downie and Giroux. Now the question is who can play left wing the best out of this group? I saw most of you had Lupul on the left, which I think means that the best possible combination of forward lines are.....

Gagne Briere Knuble
A dynamic scoring line, with Briere and Gagne doing the pretty stuff, and Knuble doing the dirty work.
Lupul Carter Giroux
A sniper line, they could be very high scoring, but defense worries me a bit. However their awesome potential on offense makes them a good combine, and with Carter and Lupul, they could do GREAT with Giroux in their.
Hartnell Richards Upshall
Yes I know, Richards probably isn't on a checking line, but this is more then a checking line, this line has the potential to be a shutdown line and a agitating line and a scoring line. Richards would center and make this line possibly our best, which is scary.
Thoreson Dowd Downie
Solid 4th line, Downie and Thoereson were very impressive last year.

Tolpeko Cote Reserve forwards, but Tolpeko is only 23, and I think he brings decent energy..

Timonen Coburn
Hatcher Jones
Parent Eminger
Kukkonen as a 7vnth defenseman, Ratchuk should be here soon...
^Plug in a free agent for whoever you wish if we have room.
2 quick things:

Tolpeko is gone.

Upshall played the left side most of this past season with Carter.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Gagne-Richards-Lupul Very good speed and good defensively

Hartnell-Briere-Giroux Will probably need to be out there with Timonen and Coburn but should be a solid 2nd line.

Upshall-Carter-Downie Upshall and Downie together runs some risk b/c they are undisciplined but Upshall and Downie banging down low should be able to feed Carter some passes out in front

Cote and Thoresen will be on the 4th line, Thor at either RW/C depending on who they add or promote.

Defensively it depends on what they can get.
Timonen and Coburn are a lock
If we add a guy like Ron Hainsey I suspect he'll play along side Parent.
That leaves Jones Kukkonen Eminger for the bottom pairing assuming Hatcher retires. I'm thinking if Hatch was going to stick around we wouldn't have traded a 1st rounder for Eminger.
1 quick thing... Knuble? i know hes not the best, but he's still on the team and even though some people want him on fourth line duties with top pp... he's gonna be a top 9 forward. Oh i dont see him being traded till next year

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
1 quick thing... Knuble? i know hes not the best, but he's still on the team and even though some people want him on fourth line duties with top pp... he's gonna be a top 9 forward. Oh i dont see him being traded till next year
He will be UFA after this year. I also have no problem with him on the 2nd or 3rd line this season, either.

mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
Gagne Briere Knuble
dear god no. enough with Knuble trying to play with a fast shifty guy...it didn't work at all last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
dear god no. enough with Knuble trying to play with a fast shifty guy...it didn't work at all last year.
Knuble was fine once he found his role on the 3rd line. He was the worst player on the ice at times during the first half of the season when they kept forcing him to play with Briere.

I can't believe someone would suggest that again...

Old
06-22-2008, 06:15 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Knuble was fine once he found his role on the 3rd line. He was the worst player on the ice at times during the first half of the season when they kept forcing him to play with Briere.

I can't believe someone would suggest that again...
I'd be fine with him playing with Richards and Lupul. They would put up a lot of points. I'd like to see Hartnell in the "Mike Knuble five years ago" role as the big strong guy who can get garbage goals with Gagne and Briere.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd be fine with him playing with Richards and Lupul. They would put up a lot of points. I'd like to see Hartnell in the "Mike Knuble five years ago" role as the big strong guy who can get garbage goals with Gagne and Briere.
I'm not the biggest fan of putting Lupul or Knuble to their off-wing. I also think Hartnell isn't at his best playing the right side. While he "created space" for Briere and Prospal, I think he's a better player on the left side. Someone will have to move over, that seems certain, but we're already light on the left side so I don't think Hartnell should be moved.

I still believe the lineup looks the most dangerous and complete with Briere moved to wing and a third line centre brought in.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:27 PM
mercury

Quote:
I'm not the biggest fan of putting Lupul or Knuble to their off-wing. I also think Hartnell isn't at his best playing the right side. While he "created space" for Briere and Prospal, I think he's a better player on the left side. Someone will have to move over, that seems certain, but we're already light on the left side so I don't think Hartnell should be moved.

I still believe the lineup looks the most dangerous and complete with Briere moved to wing and a third line centre brought in.
Didn't Knuble play LW with Thornton and Murray in Boston? I think he could do it easily. Hartnell played RW in Nashville, too.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Didn't Knuble play LW with Thornton and Murray in Boston? I think he could do it easily. Hartnell played RW in Nashville, too.
I'm sure Knuble could do it. It's not like he should ever be the puck carrier, we just need him going to the dirty areas where position doesn't matter as much.

But like I said about Hartnell, I think he's more effective playing on the left and we're thin as it is over there. Why switch everyone around when switching one guy makes it balance out.

If you go with:

Gagne Briere Hartnell
Knuble Richards Lupul
Upshall Carter Giroux

Then you've got 3 wingers playing on their unnatural side (since Scottie came up as a RW).

Personally, Knuble isn't really the kind of guy I want playing with Richards 18-20 minutes a night anyway. He makes too many mistakes at this stage of his career and blows way too many opportunities. He found his role as a third line role player who can score on the PP this past season. We shouldn't be throwing him back into a top scorer's role again this year.

Something like this works better for me:

Gagne Briere Lupul
Hartnell Richards Giroux
Upshall Carter Knuble

Old
06-22-2008, 06:53 PM
mercury

Quote:
I'm sure Knuble could do it. It's not like he should ever be the puck carrier, we just need him going to the dirty areas where position doesn't matter as much.

But like I said about Hartnell, I think he's more effective playing on the left and we're thin as it is over there. Why switch everyone around when switching one guy makes it balance out.

If you go with:

Gagne Briere Hartnell
Knuble Richards Lupul
Upshall Carter Giroux

Then you've got 3 wingers playing on their unnatural side (since Scottie came up as a RW).

Personally, Knuble isn't really the kind of guy I want playing with Richards 18-20 minutes a night anyway. He makes too many mistakes at this stage of his career and blows way too many opportunities. He found his role as a third line role player who can score on the PP this past season. We shouldn't be throwing him back into a top scorer's role again this year.

Something like this works better for me:

Gagne Briere Lupul
Hartnell Richards Giroux
Upshall Carter Knuble
That could work, too. I'd really like to see Giroux with Carter, though. Giroux can really skate, and he is also a very good playmaker for a winger, which I think would benefit Carter immensely as a center who likes to shoot.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
hotshot26

I really don't want Knuble in the top 9 this year and would trade him if we could get decent value back. If he is kept, I think they should play him primarily on the 1st PP and maybe dress 7 dmen. Have Knuble just play on the PP and use Cote when we need some energy/toughness. Bring up Gauthier and pair him with Parent on the third line. Parent's speed will balance out Denis's dumb mistakes.

Gagne-Briere-Lupul
Hartnell-Richards-Downie
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Ex:Cote,Knuble

Timonen-Coburn
Hatcher-Eminger
Parent-Gauthier
Ex:Kukkonen

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
That could work, too. I'd really like to see Giroux with Carter, though. Giroux can really skate, and he is also a very good playmaker for a winger, which I think would benefit Carter immensely as a center who likes to shoot.
I agree in the long run it seems like a likely pair. But I also believe playing with Richards in the short-term is more beneficial for Giroux to adapt to the league and unless a forward is moved out, it makes sense throughout the entire lineup.

Carter is already a streaky forward, I think pairing him with a fresh-faced rookie who will struggle to find consistency himself may be a mistake early on.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Shoeny

gagne-richards-knuble
hartnell-briere-lupul
upshall-carter-giroux
cote-thor-downie

timonen-coburn
liles-parent
jones-eminger

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
dawkins121

I really, really don't like having Giroux on a line with Carter. There seem to be times when the only thing on Carter's mind is to get the puck on net and I'd like to see him with forwards like Hartnell, Knuble, and Upshall who don't need the puck to cause havoc. Sure the idea of Giroux being the playmaker that makes Carter shine is nice, but an idea I don't like is putting the pressure on a rookie to be the playmaker. We are way too deep at forward to be expecting a rookie to be the essential cog in a line.

Another thing I've noticed is that everyone seems to have Briere and Gagne together as a foregone conclusion, including me. Yes I know Briere had his best success with Gagne early in the season and didn't rediscover that spark until Prospal came, but I'd really like to see what Gagne can do with Carter or Richards. Remember, Gagne never played on a line with the new and improved Carter or Richards, he was always with Briere. I feel like a line with Gagne-Richards-and Giroux would be very interesting. Giroux has explosive playmaking abilities, Gagne knows how to put the puck in the net with the best of them, and Richards showed he knows how to make plays. Add the fact that Richards and Gagne are no slouches in the defensive zone and you have a pretty formidable line.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote