HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: Olli Jokinen has asked to be traded...

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Dreger: Olli Jokinen has asked to be traded...

http://tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreg...s=topStory_nhl

"Panthers' captain Olli Jokinen has indicated to Florida's general manager Jacques Martin that he would like a trade. The big centre will continue to lure tons of interest, although one team suggests the asking price is marked at two young NHL roster players and a first round draft pick."

I can definitely see the Canucks talking with the Panthers and offering the 10th overall pick as part of a package.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I can't figure all of this out. Does Jokinen and Martin bump heads or something? Man, I think the Panthers are going to get a lot for this guy. Going to be an exciting next few days.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
http://tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreg...s=topStory_nhl

"Panthers' captain Olli Jokinen has indicated to Florida's general manager Jacques Martin that he would like a trade. The big centre will continue to lure tons of interest, although one team suggests the asking price is marked at two young NHL roster players and a first round draft pick."

I can definitely see the Canucks talking with the Panthers and offering the 10th overall pick as part of a package.
Nice Martin you dumb ass. Way to alienate the face of the franchise for the past 5 years by placing nearly all the blame on him and none on your terrible coaching style for missing the playoffs. Now by him asking for a trade we'll get less than if we just dealt him without him asking for a deal.

I don't even care what we get back right now. The fact that Olli, the most dedicated panther over the years no longer wants to play for this organization that he's been stuck on and struggling for years is a direct fault of Martin. I don't care if he hired the "right" guy in getting a coach, he's f-ed up bigtime with this Olli situation. I haven't liked anything he's done with this. Even though Olli didn't perform, Martin kept ripping on him over and over again, beating the dead horse, and I honestly believe he did it to keep his job in one capacity or another and throw it on Olli rather than accepting the blame for failure himself.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Laus723
Future Now

How believable is Dreger? I mean, what's his track record? Why hasn't Richards reported on this? I mean, even Spector thinks he'll still be around, not that he's the most prominant source either.

Perhaps he did ask for a trade, but I don't think it's all Martin's fault. I also think that Olli earned getting chastised and even backed up what Martin had to say about him by his own comments.

I'd rather Olli stay, especially if a couple of the kids make the team, but if Martin can get a great return, then so be it.

I want this team to get better and make the playoffs, so most of my loyalties to players arern't there as much as they are to the team. Is it smart to trade Olli? Depends on the return.

06-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Even though it's TSN, I still call BS on this one. This is what amounts to his blog (and honestly I think Dreger is a total tool) and enough of a vague statement that Eklund could've made it..

If JM has shown anything so far, its that he knows how to not tip his hand. I'm still of the mind that Olli will be Panther come Opening Night unless an offer comes along that is too good to pass up because I also believe JM knows the horrific backlash of trading Olli from the fanbase and the fact that Cohen still has Olli's back (regardless of what he has said otherwise)

Last edited by Desert Panther: 06-17-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Clarification ..
Old
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
PanthersRule96

Dreger's usually pretty reputable. I don't know about his blog but he's not really one to spew BS all over the place. Honestly, would any of you be surprised if Olli asked for a deal? Supposedly he packed his house up a few weeks ago and he's been bashed by Martin over and over again as the problem with this franchise. Martin won't admit he wouldn't give him talent to play with so he suffered, so he blamed Olli instead. Playing most of the year with Dvorak or Peltonen is pretty bad, even Zednik.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Dreger's usually pretty reputable. I don't know about his blog but he's not really one to spew BS all over the place. Honestly, would any of you be surprised if Olli asked for a deal? Supposedly he packed his house up a few weeks ago and he's been bashed by Martin over and over again as the problem with this franchise. Martin won't admit he wouldn't give him talent to play with so he suffered, so he blamed Olli instead. Playing most of the year with Dvorak or Peltonen is pretty bad, even Zednik.
I don't get why so many people are upset with Martin calling out Olli. I mean, Keenan was rough on him and Olli responded. Martin doesn't really know how to do that, so perhaps that was his way of trying to wake Olli up after the Zednik accident. Can anyone really say that Olli wasn't in a funk?

I'm not saying Martin was right, but there are a lot of coaches who publically call out their players, sometimes the player responds and other times the player's on his way out. If it betters this team to trade Olli based on what's coming back, so be it. I'll miss Olli, but I'll be happy my team is winning, if it leads to that.

There are so many he said, he said things out there right now that it's to believe any of them. I'll love it if Olli stays, and I could be very happy he's gone based on the return. I'll believe Olli's gone when I see him in a new team's sweater, though.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't get why so many people are upset with Martin calling out Olli. I mean, Keenan was rough on him and Olli responded. Martin doesn't really know how to do that, so perhaps that was his way of trying to wake Olli up after the Zednik accident. Can anyone really say that Olli wasn't in a funk?

I'm not saying Martin was right, but there are a lot of coaches who publically call out their players, sometimes the player responds and other times the player's on his way out. If it betters this team to trade Olli based on what's coming back, so be it. I'll miss Olli, but I'll be happy my team is winning, if it leads to that.

There are so many he said, he said things out there right now that it's to believe any of them. I'll love it if Olli stays, and I could be very happy he's gone based on the return. I'll believe Olli's gone when I see him in a new team's sweater, though.
I agree with this.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Yeah, if Jokinen really does want out, I just can't blame it all on Martin. Martin did call him out but so did a ton of Panther fans on numerous boards. Perhaps he just wants a new start somewhere else. I wouldn't blame Martin for anything yet. Shoot, I wouldn't even believe these trade articles.

-ghoste

Old
06-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Heimy

I was as big an Olli fan as anyone but Olli (essentially) asked to be traded last year when he blew off the golf outing. Captains just don't do that, and especially when they're with another member of the team. That was Olli's point of no return imo.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:06 PM
PanthersRule96

It's one thing to call him out and voice his disappointment, which he has done. It's another thing to REPEATEDLY say it over and over again. So many times he's gone on radio shows saying how he was very disappointed in Jokinen. He called him out after every mediocre game and obviously Olli was pressing. It wasn't like Olli wasn't trying, even though it looked like that. Do any of you honestly think Jokinen dogged it in the middle of a playoff race when he's never made it in? Of course not and he's hard on himself. Players have bad stretches and bad years. Olli has been so loyal for so many years to this franchise. Sure things didn't work out as expected but Martin is as much or more to blame as Olli is. It's just constant bashing about how Olli was disappointing and didn't play well and how it's "unacceptable" etc... over and over again gets old. He got his point across the first time.

Then you have all these comments about how Jokinen is a horrible captain and all that. It's basically everyone bashing Olli. I'm not a huge Olli fan but I appreciate his dedication to the team and his hard work, and I don't believe he's been treated well at all. Sure he could have played better but there comes a time when you can back off as to not alienate your star player further. Olli may be back but even if he is, he'll feel unwanted perhaps. In the article with his agent, he said he'd be playing for a team that wants him in the fall and you could get a slight drift that he wasn't exactly pleased with his name being dragged through the dirt.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
How believable is Dreger? I mean, what's his track record?
Dreger has pretty good connections and isn't one to make things up. He and Bob McKenzie work close together and Bob can vouch for his legitimacy and has in the past on here.

Quote:
Is it smart to trade Olli? Depends on the return.
It will be interesting to see what the return is now that Olli has apparently asked for a trade. If it is true, I can't really see Martin hanging onto him past Friday.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Quote:
Panthers' captain Olli Jokinen has indicated to Florida's general manager Jacques Martin that he would like a trade.
At least he's not demanding it...

Old
06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Who cares what Olli wants . If Martin doesnt get the return he thinks is fair and good for the team , he wont trade Olli .

Old
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Holy Jokinen

I just can't take this one seriously.

Just because its linked to TSN doesn't make it credible.

If it was a headline, fine.

But its a blog.. i don't know..

Old
06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
It's one thing to call him out and voice his disappointment, which he has done. It's another thing to REPEATEDLY say it over and over again. So many times he's gone on radio shows saying how he was very disappointed in Jokinen. He called him out after every mediocre game and obviously Olli was pressing. It wasn't like Olli wasn't trying, even though it looked like that. Do any of you honestly think Jokinen dogged it in the middle of a playoff race when he's never made it in? Of course not and he's hard on himself. Players have bad stretches and bad years. Olli has been so loyal for so many years to this franchise. Sure things didn't work out as expected but Martin is as much or more to blame as Olli is. It's just constant bashing about how Olli was disappointing and didn't play well and how it's "unacceptable" etc... over and over again gets old. He got his point across the first time.

Then you have all these comments about how Jokinen is a horrible captain and all that. It's basically everyone bashing Olli. I'm not a huge Olli fan but I appreciate his dedication to the team and his hard work, and I don't believe he's been treated well at all. Sure he could have played better but there comes a time when you can back off as to not alienate your star player further. Olli may be back but even if he is, he'll feel unwanted perhaps. In the article with his agent, he said he'd be playing for a team that wants him in the fall and you could get a slight drift that he wasn't exactly pleased with his name being dragged through the dirt.
you are off your rocker man. and, from what i can recall, dead wrong. the sequence of events was pretty simple - olli owns up to the fact he'd been playing poorly, giving less than full effort; JM is asked about the comment and responds by saying that, yeah, olli hasn't been the PPG + player he has been the past couple of years. as far as i can recall (someone correct me if i'm wrong), JM was *not* riding olli in the press and did not continue his comments after that one incident. i mean, is a coach/GM not allowed to call out his players when they aren't giving effort? hell, if you ask me, JM was TOO patient with olli; he showed olli too much respect.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I just can't take this one seriously.

Just because its linked to TSN doesn't make it credible.

If it was a headline, fine.

But its a blog.. i don't know..
This isn't just some online blogger ala Eklund. Darren Dreger, along with Bob McKenzie, are the two "insiders" for TSN. They get their hockey information from these guys and they aren't known for making things up. If Dreger says Olli has asked to be traded, I wouldn't bet against it.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
CaptPantalones

If its Dregor, then theres some legs to it. Ice heard hes been unhappy for months

Old
06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Who cares what Olli wants . If Martin doesnt get the return he thinks is fair and good for the team , he wont trade Olli .
I agree. It may be time for the two sides to move on, and if we can get back equal value I will be ok with it, but if they don't get fair value, then thanks, but no thanks.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
If its Dregor, then theres some legs to it. Ice heard hes been unhappy for months
I've been hearing it for years... same with horton, months before he signed a 6yr contract.

I'm not saying it isn't true, and i'm not discrediting this guy. I AM slightly wary of believing it simply because of the "crying wolf" syndrome.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Dreger has pretty good connections and isn't one to make things up. He and Bob McKenzie work close together and Bob can vouch for his legitimacy and has in the past on here.

It will be interesting to see what the return is now that Olli has apparently asked for a trade. If it is true, I can't really see Martin hanging onto him past Friday.
Quote:
This isn't just some online blogger ala Eklund. Darren Dreger, along with Bob McKenzie, are the two "insiders" for TSN. They get their hockey information from these guys and they aren't known for making things up. If Dreger says Olli has asked to be traded, I wouldn't bet against it.
I knw he was connected, but I thought there was a guy on TSN that was a bit of a blowhard and couldn't remember who it was.

I only queston how it gets found out way up there, but noone here has said anything. I mean, South Florida's no media mecca for hockey, but Richards is very on top of things. Guess he'll sy something on this shortly.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:07 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
I think McKenzie or Dreger or both said Jokinen was as good as gone at the deadline. This isn't the first time an "insider" has said Jokinen wants out and the last time that rumor started, Jokinen shot it down.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
FlaPanthers7

The guy has been losing here for years and years, I'm surprised he hasn't publicly asked for a trade before and he still hasn't since this is coming from Dreger without a quote. I've said it before, by the time the Panthers and their young core are really going to be competing for the Cup, it will be past Olli's prime. Send him to a good team & get back the asking price - 2 solid young players and a 1st round pick.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
I can't figure all of this out. Does Jokinen and Martin bump heads or something? Man, I think the Panthers are going to get a lot for this guy. Going to be an exciting next few days.
Trust me. When the last star player asked for a trade; the team didnt get the exciting return that they/fans expected.
Chris Pronger
for
Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 1st in 07, 2nd in 08, and a conditional 1st in 08(if they won the cup or the finals...cant remember, and dont want to)

I wont bother making a trade proposal because this board will be full of them or should I offer the customary Pitkanen, Torres, and Schremp for him? nah I think I've heard that one before

06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
I agree. It may be time for the two sides to move on, and if we can get back equal value I will be ok with it, but if they don't get fair value, then thanks, but no thanks.
Except for the fact that it will really hurt the team chemistry when 22 other guys know their #1 centre(and captain) doesnt want to play for the team. If he isnt putting 100% into it the return could be a lot less come Nov/Dec. Not saying that Olli would do this. I've heard he's a pretty stand up guy, and does a lot in the community.
I wish we could have been trade partners 2 summers ago. Pronger for Luongo straight up would have been better for both teams....ahhh hindsight.

Closed Thread