HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor league hockey...In Brooklyn? Whaaaaa?

Old
06-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Minor league hockey...In Brooklyn? Whaaaaa?

http://www.ephl.com/

Quote:
A new Brooklyn, NY professional hockey team that will play in the Eastern Professional Hockey League (EPHL) was formally announced today, Tuesday, June 17th, at 1:00pm at the Aviator Sports and Recreation Center in Brooklyn. The new "Brooklyn Aces" professional hockey team will play twenty-five home games at the Aviator as part of the 2008-09 EPHL season which will begin this coming November, 2008.

In attendance at the announcement today were EPHL Commissioner Jim Riggs, League President Tim Kolpien, as well as league officials Curtis Russell and Igor Mrotchek. The press conference was kicked off by Dean Rivera from the Aviator Sports and Recreation Center. During the announcement, the new Brooklyn Aces President Curtis Russell named Chris Firriolo as the clubs first head coach. Firriolo promised exciting professional hockey and involvement in the community.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Well, they got three teams. If they're going to play a 50 game season, they better add a few more...

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Lets go Mad Hatters baby...should be quite the rivalry.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Heat McManus

Brooklyn, West Orange (NJ), Exeter (NH), Danbury, and Rome (NY).

I think they may just add one or two more from what I've heard.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Brooklyn, West Orange (NJ), Exeter (NH), Danbury, and Rome (NY).

I think they may just add one or two more from what I've heard.
I wonder where else they will go...Maybe a team in PA and Massachusetts?

Old
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Screw Brooklyn, Danbury's going all the way in 2009

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I wonder where else they will go...Maybe a team in PA and Massachusetts?
I'm not sure. I haven't talked to the guy I know who has contacts within the league in a while. Should be in touch with him soon.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:28 PM
alkurtz

Having seen many hockey games at the lower minor league level, including United Hockey League games in Danbury, I can say without question that if you guys in Brooklyn, Staten Island, and other areas of the city go see games in the EPHL, you'll have a great time.
One thing that distinguishes the game on this level is the passion and dedication of the players. No slacking off here: just guys playing for a little money and giving it their all. Though you will see the difference in talent from the NHL, the game is still fast and tends to be physical.
I don't know what the Brooklyn team will charge for tickets, but in Danbury, the tickets will be about $15 and all seats are close to the ice.
After an absence of two years, I'm looking forward to hockey at the Danbury Ice Arena. The EPHL is trying to keep their teams relatively close (NJ, NY, CT, NH) so to keep travel and gas prices down. Long bus trips to Virginia, Michigan, and Iowa partly killed the eastern teams in the UHL.
My advice to you guys who can make it to Aviator (games will be on Friday and Saturday), give it a try. You'll love it.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Wonder if there are any plans increase the number of seats? Supposedly there is only room for about 2000 or so people.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Wonder if there are any plans increase the number of seats? Supposedly there is only room for about 2000 or so people.
I don't think so. I'm guessing that is about the capacity they are looking for. I think the best possible scenario for them at first would be to have people turned away at the door rather than empty seating.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:09 AM
hlundqvist30*

What the hell is the EPHL? Who goes to these games?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:18 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
What the hell is the EPHL? Who goes to these games?
I'm wondering this myself. I've never heard of this league before the last week or so. Is this a beer league or is it a semi-legit league? Do they feed the ECHL or AHL at all?

I went to a game in Danbury a couple of years ago with the Trashers and despite the mediocre quality of play (and that's putting it VERY nicely), the game was pretty fun and the crowd definitely gets into it.

I've yet to visit Aviator, is it at all accessible by NYC bus? If you can only drive to this arena I don't know what kind of crowds they'll wind up getting.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:18 AM
xnyker

Is the aviator at the new Floyd Bennet field?

xnyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It's a brand new league. If you actually checked the link at the top, you might know this.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Thanks for this.

Very cool.

Rock Hoppers will play at what used to be called the South Mountain Arena, correct?

Real nice arena. The Devils used to practice there.

So how high is the skill level going to be in this league?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
alkurtz

Its not planned as a beer league or a semi-pro league, but a league with real players. As with baseball, there are tiers to hockey in the minors. At the top is the AHL (think of it as AAA), than the ECHL (AA), the CHL and IHL (A) and the SPHL (Southern Professional Hockey League: independent). A difference between the lower leagues in baseball and in hockey is that they are not development leagues like the Cyclones or the SI Yankees.
The players are a mix of young undrafted players from junior hockey of college who are hoping to get a start somewhere and get picked up by a higher league. It is rare that a player from the low level makes it to the NHL but some make it to the AHL. The leagues may have some players who started at a higher level and over time drifted down. There are also some hockey lifers who know that they will not make it higher but love the game.
The EPHL is a new league planned to be on the same level as the SPHL. There is some talk of it being able to develop players for the ECHL (for example, the Rangers team in Charlotte).
I have tremendous respect for these guys: they rarely earn more than $500 a week (multiple that out over the course of a season and you see just how little it is), and endure long bus trips to play the game they love.
People who go to the games are hockey junkies, like most of us on the boards. They're fun, exciting, and though the quality is obviously not up to the NHL, it still hockey. Sometimes it hockey at a purer level, away from the glitz and glamor of the NHL.
Seating capacity in all the arenas will be about 2000.
During the lockout, Brendan Morrow played a bit in the CHL and said that there was only a 10% difference in ability between guys at that level and guys in the NHL. 10% obviously makes all the difference in the world, but the players still have talent and ability.
I plan on being in Danbury a lot (those of us up north of the city miss the Trashers) and while I can't say that I would go to a game on a night the Rangers are on TV (even though I could DVR the game), on a night the Rangers are not playing, I'll be there.
Give it a go guys, if you approach it with an open mind, you'll love it.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyker View Post
Is the aviator at the new Floyd Bennet field?
Yes.

Btw, behind that rink theres an old decrepit pier - GREAT fishing spot if you have a boat. Used to pull monster blue/blackfish, weakfish, stripers and winter flounder.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 06-18-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

oh, rock on. My roommate and I are looking forward to cheering for these guys.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Fletch

That's actually pretty cool..

of course I would've rather had the Wolf Pack there instead, but understand that it really wasn't built for that. Makes for a nice Saturday afternoon - hit some golf balls at Gateway and go across the street and watch some hockey.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
of course I would've rather had the Wolf Pack there instead, but understand that it really wasn't built for that. Makes for a nice Saturday afternoon - hit some golf balls at Gateway and go across the street and watch some hockey.
Exactly what I was thinking

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
FutureGM97

heres the Aces website. They already have a logo and a coach. Pretty nice logo.

http://www.ephl.com/Default.aspx?ali...m/brooklynaces

Old
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

My wife and I are moving to brooklyn...20th street. I can't wait.

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Its not planned as a beer league or a semi-pro league, but a league with real players. As with baseball, there are tiers to hockey in the minors. At the top is the AHL (think of it as AAA), than the ECHL (AA), the CHL and IHL (A) and the SPHL (Southern Professional Hockey League: independent). A difference between the lower leagues in baseball and in hockey is that they are not development leagues like the Cyclones or the SI Yankees.
The players are a mix of young undrafted players from junior hockey of college who are hoping to get a start somewhere and get picked up by a higher league. It is rare that a player from the low level makes it to the NHL but some make it to the AHL. The leagues may have some players who started at a higher level and over time drifted down. There are also some hockey lifers who know that they will not make it higher but love the game.
The EPHL is a new league planned to be on the same level as the SPHL. There is some talk of it being able to develop players for the ECHL (for example, the Rangers team in Charlotte).
I have tremendous respect for these guys: they rarely earn more than $500 a week (multiple that out over the course of a season and you see just how little it is), and endure long bus trips to play the game they love.
People who go to the games are hockey junkies, like most of us on the boards. They're fun, exciting, and though the quality is obviously not up to the NHL, it still hockey. Sometimes it hockey at a purer level, away from the glitz and glamor of the NHL.
Seating capacity in all the arenas will be about 2000.
During the lockout, Brendan Morrow played a bit in the CHL and said that there was only a 10% difference in ability between guys at that level and guys in the NHL. 10% obviously makes all the difference in the world, but the players still have talent and ability.
I plan on being in Danbury a lot (those of us up north of the city miss the Trashers) and while I can't say that I would go to a game on a night the Rangers are on TV (even though I could DVR the game), on a night the Rangers are not playing, I'll be there.
Give it a go guys, if you approach it with an open mind, you'll love it.
Thanks for the info. As I said, I attended a Trashers game and it was quite enjoyable, so I'll definitely give this league a shot. I'm a big NYPL fan and I go to several games in both SI and Brooklyn and the quality is not great, but the guys try hard..you can't ask for much more than that.

I would have definitely loved to see an AHL team or even an ECHL team instead, but the arena is probably too small.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Fletch

whereabouts..

on 20th street? I almost moved there, just south of Bishop Ford High School - ended up on Greenwood avenue and on the other side of the highway.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I will totally go back home to Brooklyn to see these guys play.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote