HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor league hockey...In Brooklyn? Whaaaaa?

Old
06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
on 20th street? I almost moved there, just south of Bishop Ford High School - ended up on Greenwood avenue and on the other side of the highway.
pretty close to the park

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:34 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Hmmmm...I was just thinking.... if they need another few teams...
maybe the isles could win a few games in that league

i kid, i kid

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Pizza

Go Aces!!!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
kasparaitis666

For all of you wondering the tiers look some what like this...

AHL = AAA
ECHL, IHL, CHL = AA
SPHL, MAHL, EPHL = A

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
nyrmetros

I'd go for the hell of it.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I'd go for the hell of it.
Me too. I'll pretty much give any hockey at any level a shot. It's not the NHL, but anybody going there expecting it to be needs to be counseled.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Thefalkon

Jersey Rockhoppers. I live 20 minutes away from the arena.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Scotty Hockey

Has anyone been to games this season? I am thinking of going tonight but the directions on Aviator's website look shady - I am not so sure about wandering around Flatbush looking for a bus that may or may not stop at the rink ...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

The Aces are absolutely amazing.....compared to the other teams in the league. The Hudson Valley team(where I am currently) is a disgrace, 1 and 28 or something like that.

I watched the game, it was 8-1 after the 2nd, I left....

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hockey View Post
Has anyone been to games this season? I am thinking of going tonight but the directions on Aviator's website look shady - I am not so sure about wandering around Flatbush looking for a bus that may or may not stop at the rink ...
I live about 10 minutes away and I'm pretty sure a bus stops right in front, just not sure what bus it is.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Incognito31

its a good time...my buddy plays for the aces hes the sean avery of the team haha

Incognito31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
D713B

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Ron Dugay signed a one day contract with the Aces.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
n_a_c

I went to a Rockhoppers game the other week against Danbury. Rockhoppers won, 2-0 if I remember right. My friend described it as a fight-fest based on a game he went to, but the one we went to had no fights. I thought the skill level of the players was pretty darn good. The arena is small & quite nice, and tickets are $16 for the front row, so it is hard to go wrong. I recommend it.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Ron Dugay signed a one day contract with the Aces.
He'll be playing in a week, I believe.

www.acesoverbrooklyn.com

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

oh yeah I got an email from a friend of mine around january 30th about this. From what he tells me, he works with the team. He also gave us all season tickets, but due to myself not having a car and no ride, I passed on it. but from what I hear its a great team and a great atmosphere.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

ya this league's actually got some pretty dirt players; ex D-1, undrafted major junior + U.S. Junior A players...dece league

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
FORMER RANGER DUGUAY TO PLAY FOR BROOKLYN

The Brooklyn Aces are proud to announce the signing of former New York Ranger Ron Duguay to a one-game contract. Duguay will play for the Aces on Saturday March 21st at 7:30pm when the Aces host the Jersey Rockhoppers at the Aviator Arena. As part of Duguay's signing, the EPHL will be joining forces with Ron to promote the Madison Square Garden charitable organization, The Garden of Dreams.

Ron Duguay was drafted in the first round of the 1977 NHL Draft. He was selected by the New York Rangers with the 13th overall pick. Ron's best professional season came in the 1981-82 season with the Rangers when he scored 40 goals and had 36 assists. Duguay played in the 1978-79 Stanley Cup Final against the Montreal Canadiens, and in 860 career regular season games, scoring 274 goals.

At 51 years old, Ron will become the 2nd oldest player to play in a professional hockey game. Gordie Howe played a shift at 69 years old for the Detroit Vipers of the IHL.
Wow, cool!

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Any news on how much they are getting paid? I've heard everything from $100 to $500 per game.

The lower figure is starving wages. The higher figure is pretty decent for this level.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
NYR Lunchbox

http://www.jerseyrockhoppers.com/

he's apparently playing for the rock hoppers the next night on a similar 1 day contract

Quote:
The Jersey Rockhoppers are proud to announce the signing of former New York Ranger Ron Duguay to a one-game contract. Duguay will play for the Rockhoppers on Sunday March 22nd at 5:30pm when the Rockhoppers host the Danbury Mad Hatters at the Essex County Richard J. Codey Arena at South Mountain

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Any news on how much they are getting paid? I've heard everything from $100 to $500 per game.

The lower figure is starving wages. The higher figure is pretty decent for this level.
There are rumors that the players on one of the teams (not the Aces) aren't getting paid at all.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
There are rumors that the players on one of the teams (not the Aces) aren't getting paid at all.
That's awful. They should demand money.

But what about the teams that get paid? Any thoughts on how much?

Old
03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
alkurtz

I've been to five game in Danbury. Best seats in the house are $15, close to the ice. The players are probably making only a few hundred dollars a week. The play is pretty ragged, even compared to UHL and ECHL games I've seen. But, the play can be intense: these are hockey lifers who rarely don't give their all.

The most amazing thing of all is that the league, with only 4 teams, has survived at all. The Hudson Valley team was a last minute fill in for teams that dropped out. It looks like the league will make it through the season and does have plans to expand into Massachusetts (and perhaps elsewhere) next year. I hope they do. Its far, far from the NHL, but its hockey. There are games that are fight-filled and other games where there is hardly any fighting at all. The Aces are by far the best team in the league and all of you in Brooklyn or Staten Island should give them a whirl.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

They should organize a pro league around NYC: Brooklyn Aces, Staten Island Garbagemen, Bronx Gangbangers, Queens... umm... Queens from Queens, Manhattan Whole Foods, Westchester Nothing Interestings, NJ Trash Collectors, and of course, the New York Islanders.

No seriously. I think it would be interesting to create a rivalry between boroughs and Westchester, Nassau and NJ. It might actually get some people to show up for the Metro Cup Finals. It would be for borough pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I've been to five game in Danbury. Best seats in the house are $15, close to the ice. The players are probably making only a few hundred dollars a week. The play is pretty ragged, even compared to UHL and ECHL games I've seen. But, the play can be intense: these are hockey lifers who rarely don't give their all.

The most amazing thing of all is that the league, with only 4 teams, has survived at all. The Hudson Valley team was a last minute fill in for teams that dropped out. It looks like the league will make it through the season and does have plans to expand into Massachusetts (and perhaps elsewhere) next year. I hope they do. Its far, far from the NHL, but its hockey. There are games that are fight-filled and other games where there is hardly any fighting at all. The Aces are by far the best team in the league and all of you in Brooklyn or Staten Island should give them a whirl.

Old
03-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Ani simov mal

I play in a house league at Aviator. lol

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
[QUOTE=BrooklynHockey99;18517145]They should organize a pro league around NYC: Brooklyn Aces, Staten Island Garbagemen, Bronx Gangbangers, Queens... umm... Queens from Queens, Manhattan Whole Foods, Westchester Nothing Interestings, NJ Trash Collectors, and of course, the New York Islanders.
[QUOTE]

I lol'ed

It's pretty cool to see this league surviving. Would be nice to see if they could expand in the upcoming years.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote