HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Watch

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Olli Watch

Post rumors or news about Olli Jokinen's status and discussion thereof here. This will stay stickied until after the draft.

Do not clutter this thread with trade proposals - those will still have to stick to the designated thread, since most of us don't want to read those pointless exercises.

06-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Laus723
Future Now

From Richards: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ravel-day.html

Quote:
Big news in Pantherland is that TSN is reporting that Olli Jokinen has "indicated" that he would like to be traded. If this is true, it's a complete reversal from things I have heard from Camp Jokinen. If it's true (and I don't really doubt the validity of the report), I think Olli figured he was gone anyway, might as well make it look like he had some control over things.

It's the old "you're fired," "you can't fire me, I quit" scenario.

Still, JM does not have to make a deal at this draft for Olli, and I think it's going to take a pretty substantial deal to make things go down. Of course, he could trade Olli for a draft pick and a case of Molsons for all I know.
I can see the same thing. I still don't think it lowers his value at all. I mean, Kobe asked to be traded and he was with the team all the way into the Finals. It certainly didn't lessen his value, either, not that Olli's Kobi or anything.

Also, Heatley asked and Atlanta got Hossa in return. It's not a sure thing that we'll get a Thornton-type deal now.

06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
From Richards: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ravel-day.html

I can see the same thing. I still don't think it lowers his value at all. I mean, Kobe asked to be traded and he was with the team all the way into the Finals. It certainly didn't lessen his value, either, not that Olli's Kobi or anything.

Also, Heatley asked and Atlanta got Hossa in return. It's not a sure thing that we'll get a Thornton-type deal now.
Heatley was not a disgruntled player(very delicate situation where the player and the franchise thought it would be best). Pronger, Thornton, and Luongo deals might be a closer return.

06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Heatley was not a disgruntled player(very delicate situation where the player and the franchise thought it would be best). Pronger, Thornton, and Luongo deals might be a closer return.
Still, it was a player who asked for a trade. Luongo deal won't come close to happening as Martin won't allow it. As I said, Kobe was pretty upset last year, he stayed and took the team to the Finals. Martin doesn't HAVE to trade Olli, and I don't think he's all that "disgruntled," certainly not like how Louie was.

Pronger and Thornton maybe, bue this team doesn't have the room for multiple players right now, either. Luongo deal, no, not gonna happen again.

Martin is looking for close to the Heatley for Horton deal or he just won't do anything.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Martin is looking for close to the Heatley for Horton deal or he just won't do anything.
WHAT?!?!? We traded Horton for Heatley?

Old
06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I knew you'd get hosed

Old
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yes! Meant Hossa.

Old
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Georgia Panther

According to Gorton, when contacted today Jokinen refused to comment whether he has asked to be traded defering all inquires to his agent and a team spokesman. So it looks like the Florida career of the Franchise's second most skilled forward, only behind Pavel Bure, is about to come to an end. I think JM should get good value for Jokinen but I don't think he'll get good VETERAN value. I think he will target younger players and draft choices which would mean players like Weiss, Horton and Bouwmeester will have to provide the leadership for this team and it is highly doubtful they are either capable and/or ready to provide that. Also I think this will negatively impact the long term future of Bouwmeester as a Florida Panther as I doubt he would be willing to bet his future on the unpredictability of the progress made by a team made up of predominately younger players.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...n-and-mar.html
"I'm sure many of you have seen or heard about the report by TSN that Panthers captain Olli Jokinen has apparently indicated to GM Jacques Martin that he wants to be traded. If not, here it is: http://tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreg...s=topStory_nhl

Wouldn't be surprised if it's true, considering their well-publicized relationship and since Jokinen said this morning through a team spokesman that he doesn't want to comment and all questions should be directed to his agent."

Old
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
According to Gorton, when contacted today Jokinen refused to comment whether he has asked to be traded defering all inquires to his agent and a team spokesman. So it looks like the Florida career of the Franchise's second most skilled forward, only behind Pavel Bure, is about to come to an end. I think JM should get good value for Jokinen but I don't think he'll get good VETERAN value. I think he will target younger players and draft choices which would mean players like Weiss, Horton and Bouwmeester will have to provide the leadership for this team and it is highly doubtful they are either capable and/or ready to provide that. Also I think this will negatively impact the long term future of Bouwmeester as a Florida Panther as I doubt he would be willing to bet his future on the unpredictability of the progress made by a team made up of predominately younger players.
On the other hand, getting young players plays to DeBoer's strength, and also enhances his authority since he's only 40 and a rookie himself.

Nothing to do but just sit back and see how this plays out - it's no real shock, though. It's hard to tell the way Olli's behaved this season if he really wanted to come back next year anyway.

Old
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
LINK? I dont know who "Gorton" is. If thats true than Olli did request a trade.
I also have to disagree with you in regards to vertran value. JM will be hard pressed to find an equal one for one deal but I think a lesser veteran centre and a couple of picks might do it, and give some stability to a good young core

Old
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
fogducker

do you think he'll get traded at the draft?

Old
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
do you think he'll get traded at the draft?
I think it's a very good possibility, all 30 GMs in one spot.. face to face.. very good chance

Old
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Georgia Panther

Reason Behind DeBoer Hiring

The more I think of it, the more the Deboer hiring makes sense if JM's plan is to deal Jokinen and acquire younger players and draft choices for him as well as promoting prospects like Matthias and Frolik to the 23 man roster. What better coach to lead a bunch of kids than Deboer, a noted successful coach in junior hockey. Thing is, can he grow them up fast enough as well as grow fast enough as a NHL coach to reach the Playoffs this coming season? And will Bouwmeester bet his future on DeBoer's ability to do that?

Old
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
IanB

Quote:
I also have to disagree with you in regards to vertran value. JM will be hard pressed to find an equal one for one deal but I think a lesser veteran centre and a couple of picks might do it, and give some stability to a good young core
Sun-Sentinel Blog. Here:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/

Old
06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Steve Gorton, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, I believe.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It's time for Jokinen to move on. He really hasnt been the same player since the Zednik incident he was as awful for team Finland this year as he was for us after the incident.

This is the best time to trade him when his value is still high. I just hope we can grab something else than a pick or two and some underarchiever and salary dump.

This team needs a fresh start. A new captain.

This team still needs experienced players, leadership.. but... Jokinen just didnt have leadership. It was shown late in the season when we needed our captain and our best player the most he was nowere to be seen. Yes yes... the Zednik thing.. still.. he choked.. Zednik or not..

Old
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Tuco

Quote:
"Martin ... just won't do anything" - I buy this. Suits him fine.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
It's time for Jokinen to move on. He really hasnt been the same player since the Zednik incident he was as awful for team Finland this year as he was for us after the incident.
I agree that Joke needs to move on.

Quote:
This is the best time to trade him when his value is still high. I just hope we can grab something else than a pick or two and some underarchiever and salary dump.
I don't think his value is that high any more. And Mogo, I'm sure deep down you know that we will get a pick (late first or early second), an underachieving salary dump "first line" winger and a "highly touted prospect".

Quote:
This team needs a fresh start. A new captain.
A fresh start yes. A new captain yes. And a new GM.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
A new GM? Are you kidding? All of these people blaming JM for Olli's failures last season need to get a grip. If you ask me, JM was more than fair and personally, I think Olli should have watched a few games from the pressbox judging by how he played and how little he seemed to care.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
"Martin ... just won't do anything" - I buy this. Suits him fine.
Yeah, it sure does. He sure has that record doesn't he?

Old
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bross View Post
added to my favorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Steve Gorton, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, I believe.
thanks

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-18-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: no trade proposals in this thread - see original post
Old
06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
added to my favorites

thanks

I dont think his value has dropped substantially. I'm sure Zed's injury probably caused Olli to slow down a little bit; but he'll get over it.
22nd overall
Shawn Horcoff(hardly underachieving, or overpaid)
Robbie Schremp(This kid has talent, but just can't/wont get a break in Edmonton with all the kids in our line up. He's my favorite prospect and I wish we could get him in somehow. If not, I want him as far away as possible..4,920 km's)
Excuse my "not the best intelligence" towards the Oilers organization, but what's the knock on Schremp, I mean before Gagner got there, I think he could have had a chance to get up and show what he's got right? Then Again, Horcoff/Stoll was pretty sick (Im pretty sure Schremp plays Center)... But now that Stoll for some reason is hitting a low, why doesnt he get a chance with the big club?

Old
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jokinen value hasnt dropped because atleast 95% of the league didnt see how crappy he played late last season

Old
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Excuse my "not the best intelligence" towards the Oilers organization, but what's the knock on Schremp, I mean before Gagner got there, I think he could have had a chance to get up and show what he's got right? Then Again, Horcoff/Stoll was pretty sick (Im pretty sure Schremp plays Center)... But now that Stoll for some reason is hitting a low, why doesnt he get a chance with the big club?
He had a knee injury at the end of last season and his rehab really cost him valuable off season conditioning/training time. He was still a little sluggish come training camp and Gagner and Cogliano came out of nowhere. He's been in California since the begining of May with the Oilers strength/conditioning staff and a bunch of veterans.
If you got a couple of hours to kill read this thread. Just becareful of "Bryanbryoil"; he has a serious man crush on him. Man, I hope he doesnt find out I included Schremp in a trade

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-18-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: libel
Old
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
He had a knee injury at the end of last season and his rehab really cost him valuable off season conditioning/training time. He was still a little sluggish come training camp and Gagner and Cogliano came out of nowhere. He's been in California since the begining of May with the Oilers strength/conditioning staff and a bunch of veterans.
If you got a couple of hours to kill read this thread. Just becareful of "Bryanbryoil"; he has a serious man crush on him. Man, I hope he doesnt find out I included Schremp in a trade
ahh, I gotcha, well I've always liked Schremp for his wicked talent. Would be cool to see him really come into his own one day as a top six forward in the NHL. I also heard that he wasn't quite willing to play the defensive aspect of the game. Although that was hearsay

Closed Thread