HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olli Watch

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Guys I get that you wouldn't make the deal, hence why I said neither team would probably do it.

But, this Spezza gets points of Alf/Heater crap has to go away. Spezza inflates their stats, it isn't the other way around. End of Story.

The rumour was from the 4th period which has little to know credibility, so I wouldnt' be too concerned.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
George Richards has an update on his "Frozen Pond" (Miami Herald) and he thinks Jokinen is "absolutely gone" and pegs Columbus, Minnesota and St. Louis as the frontrunners...

Old
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Guys I get that you wouldn't make the deal, hence why I said neither team would probably do it.

But, this Spezza gets points of Alf/Heater crap has to go away. Spezza inflates their stats, it isn't the other way around. End of Story.

The rumour was from the 4th period which has little to know credibility, so I wouldnt' be too concerned.
Spezza wont be playing with them here so it is reasonable to assume that his point production will drop. Spezza is good but I think his stats make him look better than he his.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Georgia Panther

GR doesn't think a Jokinen trade will go down today but maybe tomorrow and he thinks it's a certainty that he is gone. If he had to bet money on it he would bet his destination is Columbus or Minnesota.

"I'm going to miss Olli.

I think he's absolutely gone. Olli's done a lot for this organization (though he never should have left the golf tournament early with Nathan Horton) and for hockey in South Florida. The guy never misses a game and, for the most part, is Florida's best player on a nightly basis. He wasn't at the end of this season, but I think a change of scenery will do both good.

I don't think anything is going to happen today, but something may just go down tomorrow. JM is talking to a host of teams, and I'm not about to guess where Olli will land. I think it will be somewhere in the American Midwest, however, and if I was betting in Vegas, would put money on Columbus or Minnesota. See a lot of St. Louis folks chatting up the Panthers, and they could certainly be in the mix as well. "

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...and-pride.html

Old
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

I don't think he inflates their stats at all, they were established before he came into the League. They obviously all feed off of each other and help each other's stats. I don't think one's greater than the other.

When we say "well he has (whomever)," it's because this team DOESN'T have those types of players. Will Spezza flourish here like he did in Ottawa? I don't know, and only because the guys he'd play with here aren't nearly as skilled. Sure he be good, if not great, but that's the thing with Olli, he's a PPG guy with little help.

06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Captain_Cunney

If Columbus is interested do you think Zherdev and #6 will get it done?

Old
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Probably, though, I'm not sure I'd be terribly happy with it. I'm a greedy *******, though.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
That would be very tempting. I'm not sure what else is out there. Jokinen's value to me is hard to pinpoint.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:48 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Absolutely IMO.

We get a future superstar in Zherdev who has INCREDIBLE skill and also a 6th overall pick, which will either be one of the awesome defensmen available or an elite forward in Filatov, Boedker, etc....

One semi-proven first liner who would flourish as the head of a team IMO and a potential #1 defensman or first line offensive forward for Jokinen.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I'd do that in a heartbeat. We'd also be freeing up some more cash that we can maybe to help replace some of Olli's point production.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
That would be very tempting. I'm not sure what else is out there. Jokinen's value to me is hard to pinpoint.
Value wise it would be great. One problem though, it would leave the Panthers without a true scoring line center. Weiss doesn't cut it in that role.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Any chance Pete moves Horton back to center? That could potentially, maybe, somewhat fill some of the void.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Any chance Pete moves Horton back to center? That could potentially, maybe, somewhat fill some of the void.
Maybe. And if you're thinking about replacing Olli with a UFA, the ONLY REALISTIC option would be Brendon Morrison.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Zherdev and the 6th overall is a very good deal for OJ. Zherdev has alot of upside, and could be that top line dynamic winger we miss. The 6th overall either equals one of the Big 4 Dman or Filatov.

So Filatov and Zherdev for OJ (Potentially speaking). In the long run, thats an exceptional deal. Especially considering OJ's relative poor year last year, and i certaintly believe his value has a chance of being lower at this point next year.

The argument that this leaves us with no legit top line center is legitimate, but currently we have no top line winger (Perhaps Horton could be next year). Keeping OJ or trading him, we will still miss one or the other.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:04 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
I would take that.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Zherdev and the 6th overall is a very good deal for OJ. Zherdev has alot of upside, and could be that top line dynamic winger we miss. The 6th overall either equals one of the Big 4 Dman or Filatov.

So Filatov and Zherdev for OJ (Potentially speaking). In the long run, thats an exceptional deal. Especially considering OJ's relative poor year last year, and i certaintly believe his value has a chance of being lower at this point next year.

The argument that this leaves us with no legit top line center is legitimate, but currently we have no top line winger (Perhaps Horton could be next year). Keeping OJ or trading him, we will still miss one or the other.
Or Boedker who DeBoer coached at Kitchener. Either way I think that would be a great deal.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
I highly doubt it.

It probably increases the chance Matthias makes the squad, unless another centre is signed. We could go with Weiss, Kreps, McLean, Stumpel or some of those random 4th liners at centre if we really needed to. This move would also free up some cap space atleast for this year which could be used towards a stop gap centre, thus giving the flexibility for Matthias to have another year before he has to assume an important role.

With Zherdev's age and potential along with a high pick, its too much to pass up.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Rattrick

That Columbus trade proposal has interested me the most but sadly, I'll bet it's just too good to be true. Zherdev just doesn't seem like a JM type of player.

Old
06-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Update on Olli

The update? There is no update. From George Richards:

Quote:
On Olli, the deals: "There's nothing new.''

Lot of interest?: "Like any draft, you always talk to other general managers. Some teams are interested. He's a No. 1 center, a premier center. As I've always said, if the right deal is there, I'll do it. If not, hey. There's no time limit on this. Teams looking for a No. 1 center, the draft probably won't fulfill those needs. July 1 may be the same. I'll listen to what the offer is and make the right decision for the organization.''
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Old
06-19-2008, 05:39 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I think it's 60/40 that Jokinen is moved tomorrow. I think it's almost 100% that the team and return will match noone's predictions.

Old
06-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
George Richards has an update on his "Frozen Pond" (Miami Herald) and he thinks Jokinen is "absolutely gone" and pegs Columbus, Minnesota and St. Louis as the frontrunners...
And now Vancouver:

Quote:
Hearing now that Vancouver is heavily in the mix for Mr. Jokinen's services, and may be one of the teams out there willing to match JM's demands to make some noise. Makes sense. Team missed the playoffs last year and have a first-year GM who's trying to make things happen. The Canucks aren't the most talented team out there, and they are missing some late picks because of previous trades.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Under Parkland Pride -- Now With More Olli!

Old
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
oh man, this is getting thick quick

Old
06-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think it's almost 100% that the team and return will match noone's predictions.
I agree. The Columbus deal just sounds too good to be true. Things never end up like what they seem.

Old
06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
wonder what Martin has interest for in St. Louis?

Old
06-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
wonder what Martin has interest for in St. Louis?
Erik Johnson?

Closed Thread