HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Mcguire HIO

Old
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Pierre Mcguire HIO

I apologize if this has been posted before, but i didn't see it so here you go:

http://habsinsideout.com/main/8509

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
charms

vCash: 500
He barely talks about the Habs at all... I wonder what the HIO person set out to do initially.

On another note, that's quite the dismal record for the Whalers...

charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a lot easier said than done to trade into the top 12. Everyone wants to trade up this year, which means the price will be insane.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
JL

good read

JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
GNick42

Not much of an article...who is he speculating at 12? Deschamps?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
He barely talks about the Habs at all... I wonder what the HIO person set out to do initially.

On another note, that's quite the dismal record for the Whalers...
Well it was the Whalers, they were just awful in general. Their #1 defenceman was Zarley Zalapski. Pierre isn't really Head Coach material either, he's a great hockey mind suited for an Assistant's position. That or scout.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well it was the Whalers, they were just awful in general. Their #1 defenceman was Zarley Zalapski. Pierre isn't really Head Coach material either, he's a great hockey mind suited for an Assistant's position. That or scout.
To be honest here, he got a part with the Habs's play-by-play team because he's somewhat related to Bowman. He got the job under the Foule era because of that. He was good at it and got hired by TSN. But to say that he's a great hockey mind is like saying that Jim Lampley is a great boxing mind; he isn't; he's knowledgeable as a hockey historian, and has had some connections over the years because of his stints in Pitts, Ottawa and Hartford, and his connections to Bowman, but he sucked as a coach mucho grande, and is laughed at by many NHL hockey people.

I like listening to him just because it makes for some interesting radio. But you can hear his real value when he gets to work the american networks. He gets ridiculed a plenty by his fellow analysts. He got smacked pretty good this season by Milbury and by Olczyk on live tv. More than once. He looked like a Revenge of the Nerds character; absolutely demolished.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
deandebean

Let's all remember that he's the guy who, during the 2005 draft tv broadcast, went ranting that the Habs should take the best player available, then, when they drafted Price, went bananas because the Habs were full of goalies in their system.

We should all take his draft comments with a grain of salt.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Let's all remember that he's the guy who, during the 2005 draft tv broadcast, went ranting that the Habs should take the best player available, then, when they drafted Price, went bananas because the Habs were full of goalies in their system.

We should all take his draft comments with a grain of salt.
Agreed ... and that goes for all the other so called "pundits" out there flapping their gums.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I really like Pierre, his passion is a beautiful thing to see

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
le_sean

Quote:
To be honest here, he got a part with the Habs's play-by-play team because he's somewhat related to Bowman. He got the job under the Foule era because of that. He was good at it and got hired by TSN. But to say that he's a great hockey mind is like saying that Jim Lampley is a great boxing mind; he isn't; he's knowledgeable as a hockey historian, and has had some connections over the years because of his stints in Pitts, Ottawa and Hartford, and his connections to Bowman, but he sucked as a coach mucho grande, and is laughed at by many NHL hockey people.
Uh I don't know who you are talking about but McGuire knows A LOT about the game. Listen to him, he understands the technical aspects more than any other commentator out there. He's a very intelligent hockey mind. Some people just aren't suited to become coaches.

And to say he's laughed at by hockey people is completely wrong. Watch the Capitals 2006 draft video where GM George McPhee talks to one of his guys about how McGuire thinks they should take Backstrom and they went and did it. They value his opinion, so to make a comment like that is unfounded.

As for Price, EVERYONE thought it was a pretty bad pick at the time. He's gone on and apologized for his reaction.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
znk

Quote:

I like listening to him just because it makes for some interesting radio. But you can hear his real value when he gets to work the american networks. He gets ridiculed a plenty by his fellow analysts. He got smacked pretty good this season by Milbury and by Olczyk on live tv. More than once. He looked like a Revenge of the Nerds character; absolutely demolished.
What a load of bs in one post. Totally asinine.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Nobak

Well, the one sure thing is you can always trust Mike Milbury's opinion.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Tomorrow @ 7pm Pierre McGuire TSN Mock Draft Special on TSN and TSN.ca...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:54 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

why do people think he is a tool, i like him.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Bullsmith

Pierre's a great hockey mind. He's over the top during games a lot of the time, but there are very few more knowledgeable commenters out there. I find he's a bit weak on goalies, but otherwise his draft evaluations are often dead on.

IMO he's always been at his real best on the radio. He was a fantastic colour guy, just adding so much insight into what was going on with the coaches and players. Even know he's often calmer and more informative and more frank with Melnik than he is on tv.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
why do people think he is a tool, i like him.
I would think most knowledgeable fans like McGuire.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Judge Sauer*

I've liked Pierre for some time now, the only thing I can't stand is when the apparrent man crush comes into play with Phaneuf and Crosby.....it get's kinda creepy.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:

The only person Milbury is capable of smacking down is Tomas Plekanec's playoff alter ego. Yeah Milbury has a hockey mind alright - a hockey mind ravaged by mad cow disease.

C'mon, get real! The only problem with Pierre McGuire is that he doesn't hem and haw. He tells you what he thinks. He's not always right (and at times he looks stupid - can anyone say Price or Huet) but he's right often enough to get my attention and my respect.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

this was the only pierre moment I didn't understand.. haha, I was a little creeped on this day.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Pierre is at the world juniors every year, talks to the players, coaches, trainers, broadcasters, general managers and has a passion for the game. Considering his qualities and his access to different events including the draft, one would think he should get recognition as a person with great knowledge of the players and the game. Somehow, he doesn't, probably because he says "monster" too often or is seen as too passionate, but those who only look at that are fools and I feel bad for those who judge the book by it's cover.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pierre is at the world juniors every year, talks to the players, coaches, trainers, broadcasters, general managers and has a passion for the game. Considering his qualities and his access to different events including the draft, one would think he should get recognition as a person with great knowledge of the players and the game. Somehow, he doesn't, probably because he says "monster" too often or is seen as too passionate, but those who only look at that are fools and I feel bad for those who judge the book by it's cover.
Case in point:

Not as informative as the cover suggests

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:00 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It really has nothing to do with him saying "Monster!" or "Active Stick" too much, it has to do with him picking favourites. He doesn't seem capable of doing analysis without picking a favourite player and pushing/only talking about him, or the converse and picking a target to ridicule.

I like McGuire, because I think he at least has exposure to more players than anyone else, short of some scouts. He can be annoying because no matter what he's opining on, he's got a man crush on someone, and every draft is the best he's ever seen.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:10 PM
LesCanadiens

I agree with a lot of what deandebean said. Sure, he has a big mouth and most certainly knows the game...gawd....you'd think he should after spending so much time around it....but I believe he pats himself on the back too much and always talks about..."I NHL GM I spoke to the other day...etc etc."

I've caught him making stuff up...just by listening to him on different local sports shows on the same day...he'll be talking about the same topic and offering inconsistent BS from show to show about how he heard about something or other (so-called inside scoops)...

I do find he's more palpable on radio..I absolutely cannot stand him as a color commentator...contrived and over-the-top histrionics.

My 2 Loonies.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What a load of bs in one post. Totally asinine.
Coming from someone with +21,000 posts.. you should talk.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote