HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everyone always looks at the bad side of things.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Booth10

vCash: 500
Everyone always looks at the bad side of things.

Gratton----turns into a potential #1 goaltender
Bertuzzi(for a few games)---turns into Matthias
Roberts(for a few games)--turns into Welch

Vokoun, Allen and Matthias---Luongo, Krajicek, #1

Or look at it this way.

Vokoun, Ballard, Boynton, Robak----Jokinen, #1, #2

Things even out.

Besides its about being a team. If it wasnt about that the Rangers would have been the best team everytime they added a Jage, Bure, Lindros, etc...
Jokinen didnt get it done here. He and the Panrthers needed a new change of scenery. Both will be better off for it.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
dhasek3910

I think its just the short term jolt that we all received when we realized Olli was traded. I admit I'm a bit skeptical of this upcoming season right now, but we've got about 3 months before training camp starts, and so much can happen July 1.

And as some people said, Olli didn't really step up in the last month or so of the regular season...a switch of scenery may be best for him after the Zednik incident. I wish the best for him, and yet...

At the same time, I have to respect JM for what he's done. He is going with what he knows best, defense. So by building out from the Goalie position with Vokoun and Andy, to having about 7-8 solid defensemen, we are set short and long term in these two areas. It will help with Frolik and Matthias getting some valuable experience, and I think DeBoer will be able to help these two young kids mature and play them in the right situations, not rush them too quickly.

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
I think its just the short term jolt that we all received when we realized Olli was traded. I admit I'm a bit skeptical of this upcoming season right now, but we've got about 3 months before training camp starts, and so much can happen July 1.

And as some people said, Olli didn't really step up in the last month or so of the regular season...a switch of scenery may be best for him after the Zednik incident. I wish the best for him, and yet...

At the same time, I have to respect JM for what he's done. He is going with what he knows best, defense. So by building out from the Goalie position with Vokoun and Andy, to having about 7-8 solid defensemen, we are set short and long term in these two areas. It will help with Frolik and Matthias getting some valuable experience, and I think DeBoer will be able to help these two young kids mature and play them in the right situations, not rush them too quickly.
You are absoluletly right. He started with Goaltending issue last year, and now he's done defense.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post

Agreed, good post.

This trade stinks because it was the rturn for Olli, but a lot of people really don't know what we have in Ballard. And Boynton. As you said, Olli's not been the same since he ripped open Zednik's neck. He certainly didn't look like he'd recovered at Worlds. That's a pretty big 'what if' out there. Could be that we let him loose, much like Vancouver with Bertuzzi.

This team is a lot more mean than they were yesterday and while we lost 80 points in Olli, we gained some back in this trade and the kids really could make an impact. I hope it's not early, but I guess we'll see. Free Agency is coming soon, so I'll wait then. Also, there's a plethora of defensemen, they may be able to bring in a guy who can lead the kids on the ice.

I'm not happy, but I'm certainly not upset or pissed off. We were all looking for an offensive player, we got defense. It's shored up, that's for sure. Now, we'll see what else is in store.

06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
zeroG

on top of that, he added a few prospects in areas where we were extremely thin. this isn't sexy but it's how you build a contender. to all the fans running away - don't worry, there will be room on the bandwagon come playoff time the next few years.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:28 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
on top of that, he added a few prospects in areas where we were extremely thin. this isn't sexy but it's how you build a contender. to all the fans running away - don't worry, there will be room on the bandwagon come playoff time the next few years.
hahaha well put.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
right, guys. When Jokinen was traded my initial reaction was "nooooooooooooooooo" because of how much better you guys are going to be defensively, but then I thought "but who is going to do the scoring?" Then, the realization that there is still free agency, Frolik, and Matthias will probably provide secondary scoring and Nathan Horton will probably breakout since the big guy is gone (this happens much in sports anyway, right?). So, I wouldn't look at this as bad at all.

I don't care what people say about the 'Yotes and I don't care how competitive they were last season, I still look at that roster and go "meh". This deal to me is a wash as both teams got better, but this may impact your team so much more in a better way.

Martin may look like a genius come next summer.

Just don't try and take the division.

edit: the Robak and Jenks picks were gold.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
right, guys. When Jokinen was traded my initial reaction was "nooooooooooooooooo" because of how much better you guys are going to be defensively, but then I thought "but who is going to do the scoring?" Then, the realization that there is still free agency, Frolik, and Matthias will probably provide secondary scoring and Nathan Horton will probably breakout since the big guy is gone (this happens much in sports anyway, right?). So, I wouldn't look at this as bad at all.

I don't care what people say about the 'Yotes and I don't care how competitive they were last season, I still look at that roster and go "meh". This deal to me is a wash as both teams got better, but this may impact your team so much more in a better way.

Martin may look like a genius come next summer.

Just don't try and take the division.

edit: the Robak and Jenks picks were gold.
Thanks for the input . You guys got a really solid pick on Boychuk, I really don't want to play against him

Old
06-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

My initial reaction to this trade was documented pretty well (*** horrible was what I believe I wrote) and I've been a defender of Martin as a GM ..

The shock has worn off and while I will say this is a major short term hit for a potential long term gain, I'm still not sold on it based on the complete lack of depth down the middle now. Weiss and McLean are our only true NHL caliber centers (I'm not sold on Kreps yet personally although he had a good season). For those that were saying that Olli scored no goals, keep in mind he still drew the top pairing assignments from other teams. Those assignments are going to go to the Weiss line now.

Only way this makes sense to me is if we get a top line forward or two in FA. Relying on a couple of rookies to pick up the scoring slack is a recipe for failure..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:41 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
You are absoluletly right. He started with Goaltending issue last year, and now he's done defense.
I think there's one minor detail called JayBo still left or are you saying that he can be let go?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
I think there's one minor detail called JayBo still left or are you saying that he can be let go?

JOL
I think we will get him signed.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Because only bad things happen with this franchise

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote