HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list Summer 08.... Who is coming? Who do you want Gainey to bring?

Old
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
les3couleurs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Aren't we supposed to speak about UFAs guys?
Kimo has gotten me on a tangent, sorry. I'd go for Sundin for a only one year prefereably, otherwise I'm not too keen on the UFA crop. I'd rather wait see and what is going with Lecavalier.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
When the magority of posters on the net, when the magority of friends and colleagues, when most broadcasters agree with you I would say it's a pretty good estimate of how things are in my opinion.
This is just outrageously stupid. As your mother should've told you, if the majority of your friends jumped off a cliff, that makes it a good idea?

For myself, not a single habs fan nor journalist I respect would agree with your asessment of Higgins, and to suggest a majority of anyone to would rate Esposito as more valuable is beyond dumb. Defend your own opinion on its merits, don't hide behind "most broadcasters" (which is pure BS).

Frankly if your defense of saying silly things is "all my friends are just as dumb plus I read it in comments", you need to find a better defense. And smarter friends.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Its all about the second part of my post.... the point is its not your money and we should spend it instead of waste the cap space we have... I can understand arguments against long-term deals... but where would you spend that cap space we have.... Why let it go to waste if Gillett is ready to spend?? Where would you put it instead of Sundin?? I know you like Hossa, but lets say he's not available, or doesn't sign with us... what options do you like better than Sundin for that 7-8 million??
None...just because the Habs have the money, doesn't mean they have to spend it....

Who knows, maybe during the season a development occurs where a star player is made available and at that point the Habs have the money to be players.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
None...just because the Habs have the money, doesn't mean they have to spend it....

Who knows, maybe during the season a development occurs where a star player is made available and at that point the Habs have the money to be players.
Even spending the 7-8 mill we will not be right up against the cap we'll have 3-4 mill to work with....

And the longer the season goes on, the more prorated any salaries become.... with 4 mill you can bring in a 6 mill dollar guy 1/3 in to the season.... or an 8 mill guy at midseason.... or both at the trade deadline....

With Koivu and Kovalev off the books at the end of the season... and sundin on a one or two year deal... this move doesn't handcuff you at all.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Higgins has more grit. So what? I believe Higgins will never get better than what he got us last year. And that's not a lot. The guy is one of our worst player at 5-on-5, more often that not we get scored on when he's there.
Trolling, are you? You're factually incorrect.

BehindTheNet FTW. Higgins actually got fewer goals against per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 icetime than the vast majority of forwards on the team and was actually a plus player. This was despite being matched against tough competition.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
This is just outrageously stupid. As your mother should've told you, if the majority of your friends jumped off a cliff, that makes it a good idea?

For myself, not a single habs fan nor journalist I respect would agree with your asessment of Higgins, and to suggest a majority of anyone to would rate Esposito as more valuable is beyond dumb. Defend your own opinion on its merits, don't hide behind "most broadcasters" (which is pure BS).

Frankly if your defense of saying silly things is "all my friends are just as dumb plus I read it in comments", you need to find a better defense. And smarter friends.
Well it's as good an argument as anybody blasting you because of being in agreement with people on a message board being weak because "it's the internet, silly".

I made my own opinion first. And then kept hearing and listening to people saying the same thing. I cannot help it if I was right first. Higgins is a streaky kid and i'm been worried by his lack of drive. By the way, I never said anybody agreed with me on trading him for Esposito. Mainly because Esposito has this stigma and nobody wants to do have anything to do with him.

The truth is, I would not trade Higgins for Angelo right away. Because the kid is still just a prospect. I would first look at our team after all the UFAs we would have hired or the trades we would have made during the summer. If the Habs look pretty the same as last year and we wouldn't have added any firepower then I would keep Higgins.

But if with the players we aquired(if we get one..or two) Chris would have no places left for him on our first two lines then yea I would rather trade him for a prospect because Chris on the third would perhaps eventualy cost too much.

OK, let's talk UFAs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
charms

I'll take Rolston. None of the D really stand out... Orpik, if I had to choose.

charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm warning you guys that we aren't getting anyone of note in the UFA pool.

History repeating. But it's alright guys.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm warning you guys that we aren't getting anyone of note in the UFA pool.

History repeating. But it's alright guys.
It's hard to see anything, but that being the case.

Even if we end up signing guys like Metropolit, Kelly, Jason Williams, Cooke, Yelle, Pandolfo or Miettinen up front and Salvadore, Hedican, Rachunek, etc. on D the team will be improved from last year.

Smoke < Kelly, Williams, Metropolit
Ryder (last years version) < Cooke, Yelle, Pandolfo, Miettinen

If a big name/big salary doesn't come in via free agency I see Streit being re-signed as well.

I still have faith that Bob will get a big name though.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
It's hard to see anything, but that being the case.

Even if we end up signing guys like Metropolit, Kelly, Jason Williams, Cooke, Yelle, Pandolfo or Miettinen up front and Salvadore, Hedican, Rachunek, etc. on D the team will be improved from last year.

Smoke < Kelly, Williams, Metropolit
Ryder (last years version) < Cooke, Yelle, Pandolfo, Miettinen

If a big name/big salary doesn't come in via free agency I see Streit being re-signed as well.

I still have faith that Bob will get a big name though.
Gainey has to do something. Damn. It's the centennial and a lot of event are going to happen in Montreal next year. The owners want the cup now. The fans as well. And we have some needs for next year.

I can't see Gainey doing nothing. He will AT LEAST plug a couple of holes by signing some UFAs like Cooke, Pandolfo(which I would love here), Holik or Vasicek.

Plus if Streit leaves we'll get another offensive D-Man to replace him.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Gainey has to do something. Damn. It's the centennial and a lot of event are going to happen in Montreal next year. The owners want the cup now. The fans as well. And we have some needs for next year.

I can't see Gainey doing nothing. He will AT LEAST plug a couple of holes by signing some UFAs like Cooke, Pandolfo(which I would love here), Holik or Vasicek.

Plus if Streit leaves we'll get another offensive D-Man to replace him.
It's not Gainey's fault if he can't do anything. He's not gonna make a move for the sake of it. He can't force players to sign here if they don't want to. End of story.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Delat

1- Brian Rolston
2- Petteri Nummelin

I love guys from Minnesota!

I think that Nummelin would be a great guy te replace Streit at a better price. The guy has good hands can skate and appears to be a complete player. Of course it's not the perfect guy, but I like him. I'd give so much to have Brent Burns in my team. This year I think we need a good old foward that has grit, Rolston would be great but a Doug Weight type guy could also be good, just to bring more experience and at the same time it would help the "third" line a lot imagine having a
Lats-Weight-Lapierre line, it would be pretty good. On defense I'd feel ok giving the chance to O'byrne to have a full time job and Valentenko could have to the 7th spot and could be called up each time the is a need. Excludieng Bouillon, I really don't see who our young defenseman like Valentenko and Emelin will replace in the next 2-3 years.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's not Gainey's fault if he can't do anything. He's not gonna make a move for the sake of it. He can't force players to sign here if they don't want to. End of story.
Fact is that... Gainey must address the needs.

Last year, his signings were perfect and fit what our needs were. Now, he must find a big body to put in front of the net, since neither Higgins or Latendresse have proved they an do this.

Hossa, Malone, Rolston, Vasicek, Holik, Shanahan... no matter who. I want a BEEF!

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Rayne*

Rolston plzkthx.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Guillemin

Sundin, obviously.
Rozsival

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Even spending the 7-8 mill we will not be right up against the cap we'll have 3-4 mill to work with....

And the longer the season goes on, the more prorated any salaries become.... with 4 mill you can bring in a 6 mill dollar guy 1/3 in to the season.... or an 8 mill guy at midseason.... or both at the trade deadline....

With Koivu and Kovalev off the books at the end of the season... and sundin on a one or two year deal... this move doesn't handcuff you at all.
If that's the case...again, I won't complain. I could never complain about having a guy like Sundin on my team, it's just not my preference.

I don't think he's the difference maker everyone makes him out to be, I think he's a guy who, because he played in Toronto and was the best player on some poor teams (at least post-lockout) he kind of got built up more than he may deserve by the media in Toronto, he's achieved a superstar status in Toronto and I don't think he's one.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:21 PM
znk

The plan B from outer space thread.

What are all the non Sundin options on the UFA market and what kind of combos are possible? Shoot the obvious and less obvious ones.

Also work out some lines if possible.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

my plan B would be : resign Streit, if the $$$ is alright, get rid of the crap and bring in some young players again (Chipchura and maybe D'Agostini... if a dman can make the line-up, that's fine too).

Out : Dandenault, Smolinski, Brisebois, Ryder, Bouillon
In : Chipchura, D'Agostini and ???

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Considering Bob is flying to Europe, I think the only real plan B is that we have secured rights(among other teams) to talk to Campbell, we probably have the most cap space if Sundin busts. I have to think at this point that Hossa is not plan "B" Plan "C" I think is to resign Streit.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Habs

Does Stewart fit into the team plans this year?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
my plan B would be : resign Streit, if the $$$ is alright, get rid of the crap and bring in some young players again (Chipchura and maybe D'Agostini... if a dman can make the line-up, that's fine too).

Out : Dandenault, Smolinski, Brisebois, Ryder, Bouillon
In : Chipchura, D'Agostini and ???
Not trying to start anything with you personally here but,

It would be quite ironic if you would be one of those whining that the Habs need to draft more Quebecois kids, and then come here and pencil as "Out" 3 of the Quebecois we have on the team.

Now I don't know if you were one of the whiners, so I guess I'm just saying, it would be hilarious

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

forgot to put my depth chart :
top 13 fowards :
kovy
tanguay
pleky
koivu
akosty
skosty
higgins
lats
chipchura
kosto
lappy
begin
d'agostini

the 14th would be Stewart, or a guy from the bulldogs who deserves it.

top6 on defense :
markov
hamrlik
komisarek
gorges
o'byrne
streit

the 7th could also be a young player or a decent depth 7th signed for really cheap...

Price and Halak in the goals.

Old
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Not trying to start anything with you personally here but,

It would be quite ironic if you would be one of those whining that the Habs need to draft more Quebecois kids, and then come here and pencil as "Out" 3 of the Quebecois we have on the team.

Now I don't know if you were one of the whiners, so I guess I'm just saying, it would be hilarious
yeah, I was complaining about it big time... I even called CKAC to said that our scouting staff sucks and they're racist!

No really, I'm tired of Bouillon (subpar transition gone, bad defensive positioning, no offensive game.... upside is the big hits, but there's nothing else he can bring)... Brisebois is done. Dandenault is 1.8 million sitting on the pressbox, what a waste of cap space.

Old
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Considering Bob is flying to Europe, I think the only real plan B is that we have secured rights(among other teams) to talk to Campbell, we probably have the most cap space if Sundin busts. I have to think at this point that Hossa is not plan "B" Plan "C" I think is to resign Streit.
So...you think if we have nothing come July first there will be no offers for Hossa?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
So...you think if we have nothing come July first there will be no offers for Hossa?
Just a gut feeling, If I were a cop I would call in a hunch. We were so close at trade deadline & I think that he knows that & will try to **** us for 10 Mil +, He also has friends in Boston, where he would be comfortable, that's what I've heard over the grape vine lately, just my opinion.

He didn't like being 2nd fiddle to Kovalchuk, will he be alright be 3rd fiddle in Montreal?

Rich...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote