HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list Summer 08.... Who is coming? Who do you want Gainey to bring?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
  #176
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Just a gut feeling, If I were a cop I would call in a hunch. We were so close at trade deadline & I think that he knows that & will try to **** us for 10 Mil +, He also has friends in Boston, where he would be comfortable, that's what I've heard over the grape vine lately, just my opinion.

He didn't like being 2nd fiddle to Kovalchuk, will he be alright be 3rd fiddle in Montreal?

Rich...
I think he's after a First Trombone position on any team. Hossa wants to be the primo star and Boston would be a good fit for him.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
  #177
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
BTW, I'm a huge fan of Bill "Spaceman" Lee so asking for opinions from space will always get one from me....

Spaceman coming up on Team 990 now!....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
  #178
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 500
Zigmund Palffy; enough said.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
  #179
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
BTW, I'm a huge fan of Bill "Spaceman" Lee so asking for opinions from space will always get one from me....

Spaceman coming up on Team 990 now!....
Bill is awesome!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
  #180
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Marian Hossa is plan B for sure, IMHO.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
  #181
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,112
vCash: 500
I hope Marleau is not an option.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:13 PM
  #182
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Does Stewart fit into the team plans this year?
Hard to say...he's far from having a spot on the team so he'll have to work hard to get one. IMO, he's going to Hamilton. He was REALLY good in his game with us, but I don't think he would be able to do that on a long period of time...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
  #183
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,840
vCash: 500
I think using the cap room that is left to sign a top-4 D would be smart than to sign Sundin IMO. Remember that we have two very young goalies and having a solid blueline should be a concern for BG and his staff. As it stands, if one or two dmen suffer mid-term injuries during the season we're stuck with Valentenko, Carle and O'Byrne all in the lineup at the same time. Not exactly a Stanley-Cup winning defense right there.

I believe those should be BG's next moves:

- Ship Dandenault out of town at all cost.

- Let go of all of our UFAs, re-sign our important RFAs.

- Find and sign a top-4 D (Roszival?)

- Find and sign an experienced AHL veteran goalie and defense that could step in and help out the Habs in case of injuries.

- Sign a couple more AHL veterans, especially on defense.

- With the money left, use our prospect depth to land a superstar at the deadline (like Marian Hossa).

This would be the depth chart to start the year:

FORWARDS
1 Kovalev (I wanna see the same Kovalev as last year)
2 Plekanec (see Kovalev)
3 Koivu (Reduced minutes and steps up in the playoffs)
4 Tanguay (Hopefully he finds his game back.. 75 pts would be perfect)
5 A.Kostitsyn (Keep growing into an impact player)
6 S.Kostitsyn (Hopefully we see more of the same from him)
7 Higgins (40 goals?)
8 G.Latendresse (breakout year?)
9 Chipchura (should be given more responsability)
10 Grabovski (I want him to be our Jiri Hudler)
11 Kostopoulos (what a warrior)
12 Begin (at $1M... ugh)
13 Lapierre (I still think he sucks)
===AHL===
1 UFA (Hopefully BG find someone better than Manlow and Baines)
2 D'Agostini (With a big training camp he could stick with the big club)
3 Stewart (Could see 10-12 games and be a regular in 09-10)
4 Maxwell (cup of coffee)
5 UFA (just some leadership for Hamilton)
6 Trotter (full year in Hamilton as a rookie)
7 Wyman (see Trotter)
8 Desharnais (AHL contract) (Can he play as good as in Cincy?)
9 White (see Wyman)
10 Aubin (breakout year?)
11 O.Latendresse (Can't wait to see what he can do)
12 Russell (I'm not even sure who he is)
13 Beauregard (AHL contract) (See Desharnais)
14 Bonneau (Just a goon ECHL/AHL yo-yo)

DEFENSE
1 Markov (more of the same please + step up in the playoffs)
2 Komisarek (more of the same + a bit more offense please)
3 Hamrlik (more of the same)
4 UFA (a two-way versatile guy ala Rozsival)
5 Gorges (an improved Gorges would be scary for the bottom pair)
6 O'Byrne (see Gorges)
7 Bouillon (time for him to step back and let the kids play... best #7 in the league?)
===AHL===
1 UFA (Mathieu Biron without the injuries please)
2 Valentenko (cup of coffee)
3 UFA (not too old with some potential who has a proven track record in the AHL)
4 Carle (keeps improving in Hamilton, maybe cup of coffee)
5 Degon (has impressed me when I saw him)
6 UFA (would be nice to have an experienced vet who's a rock defensively here)
7 Martin (AHL contract) (who cares)
8 UFA (just another guy on an AHL contract maybe Cam Cepek?)

GOALIES
1 Price (If we follow his career path so far... Vezina nominee?)
2 Halak (either him or a veteran goalie.. good for 20ish games)
===AHL===
1 UFA (veteran guy who can step in the NHL.. JS Aubin?)
2 Desjardins (AHL contract) (Hopefully he plays as well as in Cincy)
3 Lacasse (ECHL bound)

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:28 PM
  #184
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
I want Andrew Brunette more than any UFA right now. He is precisely what the Habs need.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
  #185
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Things are changing hourly, apparently Bob is no longer traveling across the pond. I don't know how to read it yet. But it is frustrating!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
  #186
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 500
This might not be news to you guys but I learnt that Begin sold his house at the beginning of the summer. Do you think he is preparing for a change of scenery or ?

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
  #187
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
This might not be news to you guys but I learnt that Begin sold his house at the beginning of the summer. Do you think he is preparing for a change of scenery or ?
I wouldn't read to much into it, people move, he's from Trois Rivieres & maybe the traffic from the West Island was worse than he thought.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
  #188
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,974
vCash: 500
Sundin or death

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
  #189
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
JAGR

1 year, throw 8-10 mill at him, why not?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
  #190
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
JAGR

1 year, throw 8-10 mill at him, why not?
I see many good reasons why we shouldn't.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
  #191
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I see many good reasons why we shouldn't.
Really? Is inability to be an awesome hockey player one of them? Cuz unless it is, Jagr is great.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
  #192
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
If Sundin decides to retire the Habs could afford to re-sign Streit and negotiate with Holik to replace Smolinski. Alternatively, Gainey could offer a bit extra to make sure A. Kostitsyn doesn't skip or else extend Komisarek, Higgins, and Plekanec.

IMO the Habs have already improved just by acquiring Tanguay. He should be able to increase his Calgary production.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:25 PM
  #193
Adam91
Registered User
 
Adam91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I want Andrew Brunette more than any UFA right now. He is precisely what the Habs need.


Amen. Exactly what the Habs need. So clutch.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
  #194
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I want Andrew Brunette more than any UFA right now. He is precisely what the Habs need.
Interesting. This guy has largely flown under my radar since moving to Minnesota (and just started catching my attention recently with Colorado), so I felt I should do a little bit of digging...

And you may be onto something. At first I had concerns about his age, as I know he is no spring chicken. But looking back, he has only missed one game in the last 6 seasons, so those age-related health concerns that I originally had are cleared up. He is also more solidly built than my original impression. I had lingering impressions of back in the day, a barely 6 foot guy at like 170/180 pounds. The guy is a solid 200+ and over 6'.

Also, I was surprised at how efficient he seems to be at finishing. Almost 200 career goals at an 18% success clip... 22% in the playoffs (16 goals in 43 games). In fact, his playoff production is about 10% higher (ppg-wise) than the regular season, and that in itself shows an important character element.

I know that stats are stats and only stats, but yeah. Lots of evidence that for the right price he could be a valuable vet. To be honest, I'd rather see him out there on that "third line" that everyone is suggesting if Sundin comes (Higgins - Koivu - Lats) than Latendresse. Higgins - Koivu - Brunette is a pretty solid and dependable "3rd" line if you ask me. Assuming his age isn't impeding his ability to play a true 2-way game.

Leaving a 4th line of Lats - Chips - Kosto... if we wanna play the fantasy lineup game.

So my next question: how much is he gonna demand on the market?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
  #195
dlandry77
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Do we really need anymore, we got Tanguay. To be honest it would be great if we had Sundin but do we need him. We have 2 center's already in Pleky and Koivu. If we sign Sundin does that mean Koivu moves to the 3rd line or the wing.

A Kost. Pleky Kovy
Tanguay Koivu S. Kost.
Higgins Chips. Lats
Begin Lapierre Kostopoulos

Looks pretty solid to me up front even with no more addtions at UFA or trade.

Keep the youth, it works, lets not end up being like the Rangers because it never works.

Resign Streit for no more than 3.
Stand pat and go for the glory.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
  #196
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry77 View Post
Do we really need anymore, we got Tanguay. To be honest it would be great if we had Sundin but do we need him. We have 2 center's already in Pleky and Koivu. If we sign Sundin does that mean Koivu moves to the 3rd line or the wing.

A Kost. Pleky Kovy
Tanguay Koivu S. Kost.
Higgins Chips. Lats
Begin Lapierre Kostopoulos

Looks pretty solid to me up front even with no more addtions at UFA or trade.

Keep the youth, it works, lets not end up being like the Rangers because it never works.

Resign Streit for no more than 3.
Stand pat and go for the glory.
If this lineup faces the Habs with Sundin their is no doubt what team comes on top.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
  #197
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Houde View Post
1. Antti Miettinen
2. Sergei Brylin (if NJD walk away with the option)
3. Dmitri Kalinin

Brylin says talks at stalemate
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...stalemate.html

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
  #198
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Interesting. This guy has largely flown under my radar since moving to Minnesota (and just started catching my attention recently with Colorado), so I felt I should do a little bit of digging...

And you may be onto something. At first I had concerns about his age, as I know he is no spring chicken. But looking back, he has only missed one game in the last 6 seasons, so those age-related health concerns that I originally had are cleared up. He is also more solidly built than my original impression. I had lingering impressions of back in the day, a barely 6 foot guy at like 170/180 pounds. The guy is a solid 200+ and over 6'.

Also, I was surprised at how efficient he seems to be at finishing. Almost 200 career goals at an 18% success clip... 22% in the playoffs (16 goals in 43 games). In fact, his playoff production is about 10% higher (ppg-wise) than the regular season, and that in itself shows an important character element.

I know that stats are stats and only stats, but yeah. Lots of evidence that for the right price he could be a valuable vet. To be honest, I'd rather see him out there on that "third line" that everyone is suggesting if Sundin comes (Higgins - Koivu - Lats) than Latendresse. Higgins - Koivu - Brunette is a pretty solid and dependable "3rd" line if you ask me. Assuming his age isn't impeding his ability to play a true 2-way game.

Leaving a 4th line of Lats - Chips - Kosto... if we wanna play the fantasy lineup game.

So my next question: how much is he gonna demand on the market?
he wants a "little more" than his 1.6 million last year









http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2008...kic-situation/
Still no contact with Bruno, and the messy Sakic situation
by Adrian Dater on June 24, 2008


NHL free agency is a week away, and there still has been no contact between the Avs and Andrew Brunette. Translation: He ainít cominí back.

Just got off the phone with Brunetteís agent, Don Reynolds, and he said the Avs have yet to even call him about anything regarding the potential unrestricted Brunette.

Avs G.M. Francois Giguere said last month that every player up for a new contract would at least get a courtesy call if they didnít plan to make an offer. Guess they havenít gotten around to Brunette yet. Surprising, given all Bruno has done for the team the last three years. He never missed a game, had 63, 83 and 59-point seasons and 17 points in 19 playoff games.

He deserves better than this.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
  #199
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
If we were to trade a Higgins for a Marleau, and then sign a Dupuis we'd be able to ice a forward group like this:

A. Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Marleau-Latendresse
S.Kostitsyn-Koivu-Dupuis
Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Sundin is obviously the best man, but if we can't land him, this would be a nice backup.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
  #200
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If we were to trade a Higgins for a Marleau, and then sign a Dupuis we'd be able to ice a forward group like this:

A. Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Marleau-Latendresse
S.Kostitsyn-Koivu-Dupuis
Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Sundin is obviously the best man, but if we can't land him, this would be a nice backup.
If we traded Higgins for Marleau i'd throw up... Higgins is already just as good, if not better offensively and makes over 3 times less than Marleau.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.