HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which teams are in great spots with very bright futures....

Old
06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
TFKforPres

vCash: 500
Which teams are in great spots with very bright futures....

Obviously I got this off the 'which team is in the worst spot with no bright futures' thread.

But I made it so that you can include a few teams. In no particular order...

Kings - Next year watch out for the Kings to start becoming good. Playoffs? ehh I don't know in the West, but they'll be definitely building.

Blackhawks - I love what Kane and Toews bring to that team. Added with good, solid, young depth and the Hawks should be good for a while.

Penguins - They will not be the Tampa Bay North, they're doing things very differently from them. If they can keep the core (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury) they'll be very good for a while. Add Hossa who's rumored to stay a little while as well.

Capitals - Should be scary to see what Ovechkin does in these next couple years.

Canadiens - Biggest positive for them is Carey Price. To have a goalie with his caliber will be huge in the playoffs for the next few years.

TFKforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Phoenix is also in a pretty good spot, they've got a pretty decent team now and Mueller, Hanzal and Turris will only keep growing, and they've got more guys developing that could be very good players.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

In no particular order:
Hawks
Blues
Kings
Caps
Yotes

Already good, may get better but probably not by a whole lot:
Pens
Habs
Sharks
Flyers
Stars

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Oilers.

/thread

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Birko19

Surprisingly, the Red Wings are in great shape for the future as usual, but people once again don't acknowledge it because they've been in the top for so long.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Johnny Snake Eyes

bruins
bergeron
kessel
lucic
rask
krejci
stuart
wheeler
soderberg
lashoff
hamill
all under 23 i think

Johnny Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Zaphod

I like the 'Yotes future a lot.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Vicarious

Senators should be fine.

Spezza
Heatley
Alfreddson (leadership, skill)
Foligno
Bass
Nikulin
Vermette
Lee
Meszaros
Elliot, soon.

Few tweaks and well be fine.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:01 PM
jb**

wash get sway to much love lately. flavor of th emonth i guess. wont even make playoffs next year is my prediction

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
BWAVgal
If we burn, you burn

vCash: 50
CHI -- Kane, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook and so on
DET -- obviously doing well
EDM -- maybe if their guys can bring it all together
MTL -- has a lot of good young players
PIT -- obviously
PHI -- good group of vets and young players

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
spoon*

OTT - Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Daniel Alfredsson, Mike Fisher, Brian Lee, Brian Elliott, etc.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:27 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

great spot now
Pens
Habs

good spot now
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

just a bright future
Kings
Yotes
Oilers

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
hockey7749

I like all of the teams that have been mentioned but I also think that the Tampa Bay Lightning should be included. You have to look at their situation from the big picture. For the first time in our history, the Lightning will have an owner that will actually live in the area and make it his primary focus. Oren Koules, the new owner, has said he will do all that is necessary to make Tampa a champion again. You look at the pieces the Lightning already have; arguably the greatest overall talent in the world in Lecavalier, and his All Star side kick in Martin St. Louis, and the reacquisition of Vinny Prospal to reunite the MVP line, the arrival of the young prodigy, Steven Stamkos, along with a young, talented, developing defense including Paul Ranger, Shane O'Brien, Alexandre Picard, Mike Lunding, Matt Smaby, and Vladimir Mihalik. One of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL when healthy in Dan Boyle, and the young tandem of Mike Smith and Kari Ramo who will be pushing each other for the starting job throughout the season. With all of that youth and potential, one can't help but become excited and has to think Tampa has a bright future. I think it is important to add, that with all of these pieces already intact, the Lightning are still in great cap space and can easily add some offensive firepower to the equation if Oren Koules will allow it.

hockey7749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:17 PM
TFKforPres

Some more teams I forgot but was reminded of quickly....

Philly

Coyotes

Bruins

Red Wings - Sure a good part of their team is getting a bit older but they're ALWAYS good.

TFKforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
BCS

Buffalo - All of its best forwards are under 25, it has two building-block defenseman already in its top six in Sekera and Weber, a strong starting goalie and a solid group of prospects headed by an all-world netminder (Enroth), a Hobey Baker finalist (Gerbe) and some more bright D-men (Butler and Brennan). That's not to mention two first-round picks this weekend.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
HNJB*

Sabres will be pretty good IMO. They have several young, top 6 forwards to build around. They have a plethora of skilled defensemen coming in, and 3 hotshot goalie prospects(headlined by Enroth) behind Miller.

LA will dominate the league for years to come, though.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

[My favorite team] and it's not close

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
HockeyThoughts
Fire #CarlYOLO

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
wash get sway to much love lately. flavor of th emonth i guess. wont even make playoffs next year is my prediction
Yeah those guys..Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green, Alzner, Varlamov, Huet..etc..They are just terrible.

They got so lucky making the playoffs this year. Tampa Bay totally just threw the game because they love their division rival the Capitals so much!

Oh my god and their coaching situation is just terrible, firing one coach in the first half of the season and hiring a new guy..Whats that about!? And they hire that little fatty, he couldn't coach if his life depended on it. Didn't he win the worst coach of the year this year?

Ovechkin is simply overrated. He's never won anything so whats all the love for really. He's so one dimensional and only really benefits off his linemates. And, Backstrom..Don't get me started on him. I actually thought he was a promising prospect! He put up such a disappointing season, he scored like what..10goals!? A huge bust in my eyes.

God are you right, Washington is in trouble in that supercompetitive Southeast division for sure.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
great spot now
Pens
Habs

good spot now
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

just a bright future
Kings
Yotes
Oilers
This pretty much sums it all. Best post of the thread.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
MonacoBlue

Very bright futures:

LA Kings - They're adding so many good pieces to the puzzle; it's all going to come together at some point and it's going to be very scary.

Montreal - Bob Gainey is building something special here. He is very big on character and team chemistry and he is molding this team after himself. Not only are the Habs building from the net out and emphasizing defense but they're trying to bring hard work, speed and dedication to just pound out their opponents. The Habs never let up at all during the season and, although they ran out of gas and bombed out of the playoffs, it'll be a good learning experience for a team that has talent coming out of its ass.

Chicago - Toews is going to be a monster as early as next year. The rest of the team will follow soon after, although I don't expect them to contend for the cup for maybe 3-4 more years at least.

Coyotes - It's amazing how a team that looked like it was heading nowhere last year has had such a turnaround. Turris, Hanzal and Mueller are very good players and a solid core to build around.

Capitals - The Caps have two strengths: Talented, unique players and hardworking grinders. They have a prolific goalscorer in Ovechkin and an absolute puckwizard in Semin. Backstrom is a great playmaker who just clicks with Ovechkin. On the back end, they have Green who is something out of this world. He is just so smooth with the puck and with his skating. Imagine him being paired with Alzner in the future, too. Add to that a bucketload of cheap albeit undiscriminating pluggers to fill out the ranks and that's one cost-effective roster that is begging for a big salary acquistion.

St. Louis - It's hard to tell how they'll turn out. They have a lot of bluechip talent in the system but they don't have any gamebreaking goalscorers or future franchise goalies (yet....I'm not sold on Schwarz)

Flyers - This is one loaded team with a unique roster. Almost every single player on their team was a first round pick - Gagne, Biron, Briere, Carter, Richards, Downie, Hartnell, Lupul, Upshall, Umberger, Coburn, Parent. Jesus.

Red Wings- Last one. I'll think they'll be good 'till Lidstrom retires. Sure they'll be good after that but that's going to be a big hole to fill and Kronwall and Kindl aren't quite that good to me.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
[My favorite team] and it's not close
I wish I could say that about the Avs. I think they are in the middle of the pack in this category.

Sure, they have good young talent (Wolski, Stastny, Jones, etc) but we are also losing Sakic soon, Brunnete and Liles are gone, Forsberg probably won't be back, who knows how many years Foote has left (probably not many).

Goaltending is also a big question mark.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:00 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFKforPres View Post
Obviously I got this off the 'which team is in the worst spot with no bright futures' thread.

Canadiens - Biggest positive for them is Carey Price. To have a goalie with his caliber will be huge in the playoffs for the next few years.

you must have forgotten about mike komosarek, chirs higgins, thomas plekanecs, the kostitsyn brothers, max pacioretty, jaroslav halak, guillaume latendresse, kyle chipchura, Ryan Macdonagh, Ryan O'byrne, Alexei Emelin, Pavel Valentenko, PK Subban

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
you must have forgotten about mike komosarek, chirs higgins, thomas plekanecs, the kostitsyn brothers, max pacioretty, jaroslav halak, guillaume latendresse, kyle chipchura, Ryan Macdonagh, Ryan O'byrne, Alexei Emelin, Pavel Valentenko, PK Subban
You forgot 24 cups.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
State of Hockey

I think people are forgetting the "great spot" part. In other words, teams like LA are not in a great spot yet. They have to prove that they will be a contender. Potential alone doesn't cut it.

In no special order:

Detroit
Pittsburgh
Montreal
Minnesota
Washington
Philadelphia
San Jose
Edmonton
Chicago
Phoenix

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Red Wings- Last one. I'll think they'll be good 'till Lidstrom retires. Sure they'll be good after that but that's going to be a big hole to fill and Kronwall and Kindl aren't quite that good to me.
Err, what? Kronwall was just slightly behind Lidstrom this past post season in terms of overall play. Lidstrom still has him defensively (obviously) but Kronwall created more offense.

Obviously Kronner isn't ever going to be as good as Lidstrom and isn't slated to take over the #1 role but overall having a core of Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart (potentially), Ericsson and Kindl is going to be formidable.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote