HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs prospect report/practice today

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 10:26 PM
cazzy

vCash: 500
Avs prospect report/practice today

Scouting report:

Name: Mitchell Sakic
Current team: Littleton Mini-mites
Birthplace: Littleton Colorado
Birth date: Oct 1996
Height: 2-4í
Weight: 30 lbs
Draft eligible: 2014
Position: Forward (with a defensive tendency)
Jersey #: 10

Upside: excellent skater, excellent puck handler, fantastic wrist shot, also skates well backwards and is not afraid to jump in front of the puck to block shots against a more experienced and bigger Milan Hejduk. Possible future defenseman or goalie?

Downside: Needs to put on a few pounds and feet before heís NHL ready

Ok Iím just having some fun. I stopped by practice today and as usual the most fun part of practice happens after official practice is over.

First off, practice itís self was very jovial. You canít tell me that beating the Red Wings is just another win. They love it as much as us fans do and it showed on the ice today. It wasnít a really intense practice. I would imagine that practices after travel are a little mellower. Riku is skating without the yellow warning jersey. Iím pretty sure I saw Blake walking around the other side of the rink after practice was winding down. He wasnít on crutches and didnít appear to be limping. I couldnít tell if he had a brace of any kind on from where I was sitting.

There was also a casualness to todayís practice because it was family day at the rink. The Avs offspring was running rampant and chomping at the bit for their turn to take the ice. I donít think this is an organized team or anything but I think the Avs have their ice reserved for a certain amount of time and if theyíre not going to use the whole time then the little tikes get their turn. Hey, theyíve already got the genes; the more ice time the better if you ask me.
Both of Sakicís boys were out there and two Selanne boys were out there. Not all of the kids had jerseys with their names on them, some were in street clothes, but I think Nikolishin has at least one boy who skates. Some of the guys that stay on the ice forever after practice were out there hanging out with them. WHY DIDNíT I HAVE MY CAMERA???!! Hejduk stayed out the longest and was feeding some nice passes to the oldest Sakic which he easily wristed into the net. :p

Please donít take any of my scouting too seriously, they are just babies but when you watch them itís really hard to not draw some comparison to their dads and Iím amazed at how small their are and yet how theyíve already got the basic skills down. I guess thatís part genes and growing up at a rink from day one.

Sakicís oldest was blocking some (soft) shots in front of the net that Hejduk was feathering at him and skated the entire length of the ice backwards as one of the Selanne boys was headed down towards the net. (Is it blasphemy to suggest that he might turn into a defenseman or a goalie?)

Both the Selanne kids are pretty fast but the funniest thing is that the oldest is a grinder and a scraper. Of coarse heís going to go at it with little brother but he even had Joeís kid down on the ice at one point and gave him a few nougies. His kids wear #8 and #9. I donít know if thatís just how it worked out or if they got to chose those numbers.
Mostly I was just amazed at how disciplined they were and how well they used the ice time to do some serious practicing and not just messing around. Iím wondering if PL has got the contracts drawn up already. I guess he at least has to wait until they know how to spell their names.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:42 PM
DarioinDenver

nice

Did you see Nikolishin, Hinote or Brigley skate? Svatos is supposed to be skating too.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
That Mitchell Sakic is a twig...he wont cut it

Thanks for the info as always Cazzy!

And I echo the questions Dario brought up in his post about the injured players. If you have any other info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Mules
Ouch!

How cute I bet Hejduk can't wait to bring his own twins to the rink.

Any idea how old Selanne's and Sakic's kids are?

Do they only bring boys? I am sure some of the players have daughters

Old
02-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Breck Av

Thanks for the report, cazzy !

Old
02-15-2004, 11:18 PM
fcbarcelona

cazzy that report of the avs practice was typical of my first time there. i remember kono had his son and daughter on the ice and the daughter's pants kept on falling down while she tried to skate. those little tikes certainly are adorable.

im glad the avs actually saviour victories like these. it just goes they have something in common they have with fans like us.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:18 AM
st_roland

Thanks for the great message cazzy. It really makes me feel good to hear how happy they look. The aves are a great group of guys(especially sakic!)

Old
02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
cazzy

Dario and Jori
Nope, no signs of any of the injured guys that I could see and I think I got a pretty good head count. I could have missed somebody but it did seem like the ice was a little less crowded. The mystery trainer/coach was on the ice again today but he didnít have anybody to work with today not even Riku. He just kind of skated around and fed pucks to the guys and then left when practice was over.

Mule- Iím horrible about guessing how old kids are but I would say that neither one of Selanneís kids are older than ten. Iím guessing maybe around six and eight. Nikolishinís kids are a little older, maybe eight and ten. Sakicís oldest was born soon after their first cup and the twins are around three I think. The twin girl sits up in the stands with mom. I havenít seen too many girls around the rink. While the fans are restricted to the upper deck the boys have free reign of the place including the locker room so Iím guessing thatís part of the reason why the girls arenít as visible.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Foppa2118

I know you went to this practice a little while ago, so this isn't really intended for that, but I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, and this seemed like the best place.

I heard one of the Sportsnet broadcastors (Jim Hughson I think) say during the Avs-Canucks game, that Blake was skating again, and is almost ready. Does anybody know if this is true, or is it just another bonehead call about an Av, by a non Denver broadcastor. Dario? Cazzy? Anybody?

Old
02-18-2004, 11:33 PM
cazzy

He wasnít on the ice when I went on Sunday. The radio guys havenít said anything about him skating since Iíve been listing tonight. The local media TV guys usually have some footage of a big name player skating when heís about to return from an injury but I havenít seen anything like that. I think the radio guys said it would still be a week or two but I donít think heís skating yet. Hope this helps.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy
He wasnít on the ice when I went on Sunday. The radio guys havenít said anything about him skating since Iíve been listing tonight. The local media TV guys usually have some footage of a big name player skating when heís about to return from an injury but I havenít seen anything like that. I think the radio guys said it would still be a week or two but I donít think heís skating yet. Hope this helps.
Thanks, apreciate it. That's what I figured. I didn't think I would hear it on Sportsnet, before Fox Sports Rocky Mountain, or even read it in the Post or Rocky Mountain News, if it was really true.

Closed Thread