HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

Old
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 View Post
Sorry if someone already answered this question but what exactly did the Rangers (MSG) do to make Bettman go crazy?
They tried to sue the NHL lol.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Sit back and enjoy. If you're a Bettman hater, then watch Dolan go after him. And if you're a Dolan basher, watch Bettman try to make an example out of him.

This will be wonderful theater. The NHL will never use the nuclear option so this should be some great posturing and bruised egos.

Personally, I would love Dolan to attack Bettman so he would have to say ANYTHING of substance. Bettman is a lawyer first. If you ever listen to any of his interviews, he says little to nothing of substance. Always hides behind the notion that he serves at the pleasure of the BOG. About time an owner makes Bettman address the NHL's HQ influence (or lack thereof according to Bettman).

But you're spot on, Dolan made an ass out of himself over the Knicks harassment suit and he has never backed away from a fight. There will be no repercussions for us as fans, so Jimmy is our out of control 3 year old. This will be fun!
This will be epic. Nothing better than two billionaire, business moguls duking it out with their army of lawyers

Old
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
They tried to sue the NHL lol.
That was the third thing. What I said was the first.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

Nothing will happen of this, who cares.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I cant believe Im reading posts where people think the rangers are going to relocate because of this. Are you people OUT OF YOUR MINDS? No team would ever move anywhere because of a WEBSITE. Not even a little league team.

Worst thing that happens is that MSG does not carry the Rangers anymore, in which case SNY would immediatly jump in and take them. Theres a better chance of me getting struck by lightning right now while Im typing then there is of the Rangers reclocating.

06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I shake my head at this too. What's even more rediculous, is why would Bettman file this on the eve of the biggest offseason day for the NHL? I mean, it's just more negativity, and coming at a time wher ethe NHL is trying to increase popularity again. So, file a lawsuit against the worlds most famous arena, which hosts arguably the NHL biggest fanbase.

Tremendous job again by Gary Bettman!
So it gets buried in the hub-bub over the draft, just like he wants it to.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I cant believe Im reading posts where people think the rangers are going to relocate because of this. Are you people OUT OF YOUR MINDS? No team would ever move anywhere because of a WEBSITE. Not even a little league team.

Worst thing that happens is that MSG does not carry the Rangers anymore, in which case SNY would immediatly jump in and take them. Theres a better chance of me getting struck by lightning right now while Im typing then there is of the Rangers reclocating.
If by relocating u mean leaving NY i think that is crazy. That can't happen. But being forced to play somewhere else? Jim Dolan is a pain in the ass and if he does lose this lawsuit and is forced to sell the team, that doesn't mean he has to sell Madison Square Garden which means he could tell the team so long, you aren't playing at MSG anymore. Even though we don't want that to happen, it is a very real possibility considering Dolan's personality.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Looks like two ****** having a sword fight.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

So Ratner buys the team and moves it to Brooklyn. End of problem.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
frankthefrowner

Ratner probably doesnt have the capital to purchase the rangers... BUT i could certainly see the rangers playing in Brooklyn.

With that said, none of this will be happening.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
jmb9191

Worst case scenairo...(for me at least)

....the Steinbrenner family takes over MSG. Ohhhh the pain

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I've never seen anything get blown out of proportion so quick.

I can almost guarantee nothing of note will happen.
I'll admit to possibly blowing things out of proportion, but only because I wanted to speculate and not actually believe anything was going to happen

but it is amusing that it's basically being reported as "the league could strip MSG of their team!" and that the topic on this on the Business board is "NHL wants to strip MSG of Rangers ownership".

Nothing actually says they want to strip ownership, just that it's a (remotely) possible outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
That was the third thing. What I said was the first.
If it was just about the website stuff, then it'd never come to this. The suing of the NHL is why this latest thing has surfaced. If MSG hadn't done that, the NHL wouldn't be trying to claim that the Rangers have violated the constitution

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
FutureGM97

Christ this is even on Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369287,00.html

heres a quote from Barry Watkins

Quote:
"Not surprisingly, the NHL is once again proving why an independent judge must address our claims. Despite trying to resolve our differences privately, the league has responded with excessive fines and now threats that have nothing to do with the merits of our position," he said.

"The NHL shouldn't be afraid of the judicial system. We will pursue our case vigorously and will not be intimidated by the NHL's bullying tactics."

looks like these guys are ready to drop the gloves.

Old
06-19-2008, 08:58 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post

Old
06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

If they move from the Garden my life is over

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

This is so ridiculous.

KotsyJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Nobody is in any danger of moving anywhere. I guarentee someone will literally find Dolan and kill him if he forces the Rangers out of MSG. (It might be me.)

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Nobody is in any danger of moving anywhere. I guarentee someone will literally find Dolan and kill him if he forces the Rangers out of MSG. (It might be me.)
i think it might be all of New York Rangers fanbase, even some Devil and Isles fans

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
but it is amusing that it's basically being reported as "the league could strip MSG of their team!" and that the topic on this on the Business board is "NHL wants to strip MSG of Rangers ownership".

Nothing actually says they want to strip ownership, just that it's a (remotely) possible outcome
In their defense, the headline on my Yahoo Sports RSS feed reads: NHL wants to be rid of Rangers' owners (AP)

The article title itself, once you go to the story, is the less sensational: NHL threatens to get rid of Rangers’ owners

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Old
06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
If by relocating u mean leaving NY i think that is crazy. That can't happen. But being forced to play somewhere else? Jim Dolan is a pain in the ass and if he does lose this lawsuit and is forced to sell the team, that doesn't mean he has to sell Madison Square Garden which means he could tell the team so long, you aren't playing at MSG anymore. Even though we don't want that to happen, it is a very real possibility considering Dolan's personality.
I dont think he can do that because Im sure the Rangers are under contract where they have play X amount of years at the Garden.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
I dont think he can do that because Im sure the Rangers are under contract where they have play X amount of years at the Garden.
I'm not 100% sure on this but since Dolan owns the team and the arena....does he really have to make a contract saying that the team can play there? It is his team and his building.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure on this but since Dolan owns the team and the arena....does he really have to make a contract saying that the team can play there? It is his team and his building.
Thats a good point

I still thought I heard something like that somewhere before...

Old
06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If it was just about the website stuff, then it'd never come to this. The suing of the NHL is why this latest thing has surfaced. If MSG hadn't done that, the NHL wouldn't be trying to claim that the Rangers have violated the constitution
Saying it's about the website is an oversimplicification, but it really is about the website, content, the potential money the content can make and where the line of "shared hockey-related revenue" is drawn.

If the Rangers hadn't sued, it never would have come to this, Dolan had a very valid reason to attempt to put those games on the website, but by taking it public, in effect, by trying to put those games on the website (if Comcast isn't going to put his brand out there for his fans nationally, he will), he opened a pandora's box. The league had to respond, which they did by centralizing the websites.

It should have been left at that, the suit was a very bad idea. And to continue to push while losing in court makes it even worse. He has little support, as the vote on the websites and new media was lopsided in favor of the league's position. This is one where he's better off running away, but he's probably gone too far to get off without a slap on the wrist.

BUT, the league shouldn't get off free and clear on this either. The playoff coverage needs to improve, you cannot have say, 3 first round games going at the same time and only be able to broadcast one. That's bad. What is worse, is forcing the out of market fans who get shut out from VS to pay $50 for the playoff CI package. Which is a ripoff for maybe 15-20 games, considering the going rate is $160 or whatever for over a thousand games on CI. So, I understand their initial frustration and why the fanbase outside of MSG territory would be pissed off. The league is shirking their commitment by having inferior coverage from Comcast, and taking advantage of the inferior coverage by ripping off the out of market fans for the missing games.

Which is why the Rangers basically slapped the league in the face by throwing down the new media gauntlet. The league had no choice, MSG is a mess that is hard to track revenue in. Well, if they got away with that, it opens the door for other teams run by gigantic messes, and one of those is probably the biggest money maker in the league. If they get revenue "outside of the box", it kills revenue sharing.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
squishy

Looks like it was the Board of Governors' decision to to go through with this, not Bettman's:

Quote:
Apparently at the end of the Board of Governonrs meeting on Wednesday, the league asked the MSG reps to leave the room and decided to file this counterclaim, which alleges that the company breached league bylaws.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...continues.html

Old
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Looks like it was the Board of Governors' decision to to go through with this, not Bettman's:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...continues.html
that makes things worse....and im sure the league has wanted to kill the dolans at some points