HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unconditional Support!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Scorpion88

vCash: 500
Unconditional Support!!

I think now is the time for all us fans to provide our Oilers with complete and unconditional support from now until the end of the season no matter how they play. Our team continues to provide us with one of the best products you can find in today's NHL and we should enjoy it while we have it. We may not have NHL hockey next year and if things don't change with the CBA, we may not have it for too many more years. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish need our support and belief that they are trying to put together the best team they can. From here on out, let's show this team why we are the best hockey city in the world, sell out every game until the season is over, cheer louder than we ever have, and show our boys how much we truly appreciate them. Also, every fan should be marking in BRIGHT RED the date March 2, 2004 on their calendars. In case you didn't know, that is when Comrie returns. Let's remind him of our disappointment with his actions earlier this season and BOO louder than we ever have and bring as many signs showing our disapproval as we can.

That's enjoy the Oilers here and now, and trust that Kevin Lowe is building a winner for the future under a new CBA!!!

Old
02-15-2004, 10:25 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. No matter what happens for the rest of the year I think we should always cheer our team on and make Rexall the loudest place in the league again. too many times this year it has been silent. We want to keep this team, lets voice our support!!! Come on everyone. This is a Hockey town. Our team is young and needs support. WE may miss the playoffs this year so lets make the rest of our home games playoff atmosphere!!!

Old
02-15-2004, 10:52 PM
edmontonoilers89

Agree with everything you said. Adding to the uncertainty of this team's future after the CBA expires, we should be as loud and supportive as possible of this team and all that's offered.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Listen to the sheep BAAAAAHHHHHHH as they dream of the promised land.

How shocked they'll all look when we get the same line 3 years down the road.......wonder what the excuse will be this time.

Unconditional support for a team, an ideal, is one thing. Blind loyalty to a management structure is another thing, and it's fallacy.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:43 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
yea, mark those calendars on march 2, its my BIRTHDAY!! you can all buy me tickets if you like. lol

Old
02-16-2004, 12:01 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Listen to the sheep BAAAAAHHHHHHH as they dream of the promised land.

How shocked they'll all look when we get the same line 3 years down the road.......wonder what the excuse will be this time.

Unconditional support for a team, an ideal, is one thing. Blind loyalty to a management structure is another thing, and it's fallacy.
LMHF, really, this could very realistically be the last time we see the Oilers in Edmonton. We should support them for all they have given us for 25 years.

If they are still here post CBA then we can go back to riding them a bit harder, but I for one, and going to stand up and cheer at every game for the rest of the season.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
LMHF, really, this could very realistically be the last time we see the Oilers in Edmonton. We should support them for all they have given us for 25 years.

If they are still here post CBA then we can go back to riding them a bit harder, but I for one, and going to stand up and cheer at every game for the rest of the season.
Remotely possible, yes.

Very realistically, nope.

If this team isn't playing hockey in future NHL seasons in this city, someone will have dropped the ball in a massive way.

I'm sure many of you guys realize how much money our owners will stand to make after the new CBA (odds are highly likely), and how ticket prices won't drop. Please tell me you're not under that delusion.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 02-16-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old
02-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Remotely possible, yes.

If this team isn't playing hockey in future NHL seasons in this city, someone will have dropped the ball in a massive way.

I'm sure many of you guys realize how much money our owners will stand to make after the new CBA (odds are highly likely), and how ticket prices won't drop. Please tell me you're not under that delusion.

imo, the Oilers are extremely unlikely to survive in Edmonton. The only league that has been able to control costs is the NFL, and they did it by breaking a (weak) union with poor leadership (Upshaw).

Time and time again in sports the players have proven to be the ones who stay the course longer than the owners.

The owners talk a good game, but the large US markets need products for their stadiums and their cable channels. By the end of year one of any given lockout, things like Arena Football will have grown in popularity to the point where in many markets the NHL won't really be missed as much as first thought.

I'd say 5 years from now Edmonton will either be an AHL affiliate or be a charter member of a ew professional league like the WHA. No way the fan base hangs in and pays huge dollars to watch their team scramble for 8th, because the "hang in there until 2004" idea has been adopted by Oiler fans and they (along with ownership) anticipate a more level playing field.

I don't think Gary Bettman can get it done.

It's been a helluva ride, though, and I've enjoyed every minute.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:44 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Remotely possible, yes.

Highly likely for what?

There are 10 teams who are perfectly happy with the status quo. Right now that is 1/3rd of the teams. There are another 10 or so teams that require only minor concessions and changes in order to be viable. That is 20 teams so far.

This CBA isn't a sure shot thing like you seem to think it is. There are a couple of minor tweaks necessary in order for the league to function well for 2/3rds of the teams.

The Oilers need a complete overhaul of the league in order to compete. Simply surviving isn't good enough. Scrapping by with a payroll $50 mil below the top teams and losing every player you develop is pointless. At that point in time, the team might as well move to Portland or maybe they need another team in the New York area.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
And ticket prices aren't even the problem in Edmonton. Yeah, I'm sure they're higher than a lot of people are willing to spend, but it's not what's putting this team's future in jeopardy.

As for supporting the management, I like to think that makes me a fan. So I'll come out of the closet right now - I'm a big Kevin Lowe fan. I think this team is very talented, and while the system isn't perfect, it's incredibly deep and more full of potential than we've seen in a long time. Yeah, maybe I'm living in a fantasy world. But the people who think this team is one roster player away from the Cup, or that it ever had a chance to be elite in the last five years, Lowe or not, are right next door.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Mr Sakich

kinda scary to think this may be it, but I am not sure if that is the case. If the CBA goes badly and the Edmonton Investors Group decides to pull the plug, they will probably take a year to move the team. That would be a pathetic year to watch as fans will instantly disassociate themselves from the lame duck team.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'm a big Kevin Lowe fan. I think this team is very talented, and while the system isn't perfect, it's incredibly deep and more full of potential than we've seen in a long time.
Agree with this, Seachd. The one area I find a bit strange is that he seems to be out of step with his stated goals. He says the playoffs are vital, and yet doesn't get a center when this team is dying for one.

When they needed help on d, they went out and picked up Ulanov. WHen Comrie left, they signed Oates. One didn't work, but that doesn't matter. The point is he did something.

More recently, he has done nothing to help the center position since York's injury and Reasoner's prolonged injury.

If he has decided not to mortgage the future for now, that's okay. But he needs to let his team off the hook, bring up some kids and play them because the focus has changed.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:25 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Highly likely for what?

There are 10 teams who are perfectly happy with the status quo. Right now that is 1/3rd of the teams. There are another 10 or so teams that require only minor concessions and changes in order to be viable. That is 20 teams so far.

This CBA isn't a sure shot thing like you seem to think it is. There are a couple of minor tweaks necessary in order for the league to function well for 2/3rds of the teams.

The Oilers need a complete overhaul of the league in order to compete. Simply surviving isn't good enough. Scrapping by with a payroll $50 mil below the top teams and losing every player you develop is pointless. At that point in time, the team might as well move to Portland or maybe they need another team in the New York area.
A new CBA is not what the Oilers require. Consider that at a 60 - 40 split that averages out to player salaries of $40M per team based on current revenue. My guess is that leaves the Oilers $5M - $10M short on the revenue side of the equation. The CBA could provide cost certainty but that's not revenue.

Where will the Oilers get the revenue from?

TV? don't think so. After this year there is no US TV contract and I recall seeing that rights are likely to sell for half of the previous total.

Other owners via luxury tax or equalization? Don't think so. If the league is losing as much money as they claim why would some US owner who is losing big bucks make equalization payments to a Canadian small market team that is breaking even.

Government? The Oilers lottery deal with Alberta expires this year and even if it is renewed it would require the govenment to give away 2 - 3 times as much money as the team already gets.

New owners? Good possibilty with a likely franchise relocation since Nichols figures there are no realistic Edmonton buyers.

Even if the CBA is settled without a strike or lockout, highly unlikely, the negotiations for the Oiler future will be just beginning.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Yanner39

This thread is really depressing. I just can't imagine the NHL without the Oilers. (Although Jets, Nords and Whalers fans probably said the same thing at the time they lost their team).

My feeling is that we can speculate all we want but these CBA negotiations will be very unpredictable IMO. I mean, even big market teams are *****ing about the current economic situation. Teams like Dallas not to long ago were looking for a buyer. Ted Leonsis wanted to unload Jagr because he was making too much money.

Lowetide made a great point about the NFL and how they broke the weak union. Personally, I'm not sold on the NHLPA simply because of what I have read recently in various publications. Not all players are on the same page. Middle of the pack players that haven't been paid in 8 or 9 months could start showing signs of distress. I mean, there's a difference between collecting an NHL paycheque and collecting whatever the PA has stashed. Believe me, it won't replace the regular paycheque. For most owners, owning an NHL hockey team is not their principle business. Playing hockey is for the players.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

They do not need a complete overhaul. Revenue sharing and a luxury tax with large penalties would be all they required. Then the league would actually come down to what it should, playing hockey. Certain teams should be able to spend more, that's their perogative if they should choose to do so, a hard cap should not be an option because we watch enough mediocrity as it is.

I really don't get the chicken little mentality around here lately......

Old
02-16-2004, 01:07 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
They do not need a complete overhaul. Revenue sharing and a luxury tax with large penalties would be all they required. Then the league would actually come down to what it should, playing hockey. Certain teams should be able to spend more, that's their perogative if they should choose to do so, a hard cap should not be an option because we watch enough mediocrity as it is.

I really don't get the chicken little mentality around here lately......
Would that not be a complete overhaul?

Revenue sharing and luxury taxes are <b>HUGE</b> factors. You are really down playing that issue aren't you? It's really easy to sit here and say well all we need is a little revenue sharing and a luxury tax and our little fantasy world is complete and happy.

Key word... fantasy. It isn't a chicken little mentality, it is reality. Do you think the Owners want revenue sharing? I'll guarantee you that if you propose revenue sharing and a luxury tax, 10 teams without even looking reject that deal flat out. Sure it helps out the Oilers, but what does it do for the Leafs, or the Rangers?

Nothing.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:10 PM
oilers24

we should call up Rocky Thompson to grab a hold of mike but i'm sure hes npt thrilled about playin in edm on the 2nd

Old
02-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Would that not be a complete overhaul?

Revenue sharing and luxury taxes are <b>HUGE</b> factors. You are really down playing that issue aren't you? It's really easy to sit here and say well all we need is a little revenue sharing and a luxury tax and our little fantasy world is complete and happy.

Key word... fantasy. It isn't a chicken little mentality, it is reality. Do you think the Owners want revenue sharing? I'll guarantee you that if you propose revenue sharing and a luxury tax, 10 teams without even looking reject that deal flat out. Sure it helps out the Oilers, but what does it do for the Leafs, or the Rangers?

Nothing.
Agreed. NYR can maintain their ridiculously large payroll because of their TV contract (such as it is) and ticket prices. Why would they want to:
a) fork over millions in revenue sharing
b) limit themselves in spending, and be taxed in millions as well for going over the cap.

Answer: they won't. They don't care about how the Edmonton Oilers are doing. If the Oilers dissolve, then the Rangers may get some better players. Revenue sharing and luxury taxes are nice, but it's not going to happen easily, if at all.

Closed Thread