HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is O'Byrne overrated?

View Poll Results: Is O'Byrne overrated on the Habs board?
Yes 68 35.79%
No 122 64.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Is O'Byrne overrated?

O'Byrne do has size and speed to go with it, but around here, I find him overrated. He showed a few good things, but overall, he's still green. People are pegging him as our #4 on the blue line...I just don't see it for now.

So am I the only one, or is he really overrated by many users?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You're probably the only one.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You're probably the only one.

I think his perceived upside is a tad overstated around here...but hopefully I'm wrong.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't see people talking about him as the next Norris winner or anything. He looks to be solid and like he is going to have a good career and I don't remember seeing anyone saying more then that...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I don't see many people overrating him. Most people realize he's a developing prospect with good potential for a shutdown defenseman. Pretty simple really.

RussCourtnallsGhost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
FrankMTL

I don't think he is overated. I think he will defenitly grow into his #4 role on the team. he showed lots of improvement over the course of the year. In my opinion, his major weak spot right now is the breakout pass. He seems to miss his forward targets up the ice more often then he should and it creates some icings. He should be able to work on that this year...but other then that, what's not to like? Big bruising defencemen who skate extremely well for their size are always a big plus in this league....

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Its too early to see if he's overrated, give him time to get accustomed to the new NHL and to all those bigger and nicer purses.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Habbadasher

All the prospects tend to be overrated around here. We tend to discuss propects potential more than their performance.

I believe his potential is great, we'll see if he loves up to it.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Russeltown

O'Byrne is not overrated, hell not!

But guys, do you see him as a future Pronger on the blueline?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

Apparently after he came back from injury of wtv, he had very few minus games in terms of +-. Some people overrate him but as a forth d-man, nah, i don't see it as a leap or anything like that. If you mention #3 and up, then yes, overrating.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Beakermania*

The reason he's being put in as the number 4 is because of the way Carbo handles the defence.....

Our biggest liability is almost always paired with Hamrlik..... so in reality he's our #6....

Gorges is our 4 and Bouillion is our 5... but they both play the third pairing.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I think people peg him into the top 4 D as it gives him an experienced vet in Hamrlik to learn the game from. I think you are right to suggest he is still a little 'green' although that is to be expected from any player with his level of experience (or lack of) in the NHL. Especially with young players learning to play D or in goal in the NHL. Given time and some experience I think he could fill a top 4 role on the Habs. Although I want to see how his play with the puck adapts in the NHL. There were times last year where I was very disappointed with what he tried doing when he had the puck in the AHL. But he didn't seem to make as many mistakes in the NHL as far as I could tell without watching most of the games.

I can see why he might be a little overrated in some peoples eyes, but I think there is more than enough potential for him to become a #4 guy on the blueline. He might not be the best guy for that role right now, although it can be argued, but in the near future, he could easily make the spot his own. Being right handed will help his cause as well until Subban and the rest of those kids are ready to challenge him.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Bust. Next.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
All the prospects tend to be overrated around here. We tend to discuss propects potential more than their performance.
Not anymore! Gone are the days of "Hainsey should be a #1 and Marcel Hossa will get 40 goals".

Hab fans are more realists these days, and quite a few prospects are severely under-rated, if anything.

For example:
-Lapierre
-Grabovski
-D'Agostini
-Fischer
-Latendresse
-Gorges(as of last year)
-Chipchura

I find the way most posters look at our prospects to be completely, and utterly irrational.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 06-30-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
O'Byrne do has size and speed to go with it, but around here, I find him overrated. He showed a few good things, but overall, he's still green. People are pegging him as our #4 on the blue line...I just don't see it for now.

So am I the only one, or is he really overrated by many users?
He was #6 last year, I don't see where he has passed Bouillon and Gorges yet...the only reason some people seem to think he is #4 is because he played with Hamrlik but that was just playing your rookie with a strong veteran.

He has the tools to be a #3-4 on a powerful team. For a big man he skates very well and is usually in good position, reads the play well. I think with time his physical and puck moving game will be more consistant like Komi this year, they are quite similar.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
mcphee

I just see him as a guy who should be able to play. I don't see a big hitter, a lot of offense, but signs that he can be effective. I don't see anyone expecting much more .

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I think people peg him into the top 4 D as it gives him an experienced vet in Hamrlik to learn the game from. I think you are right to suggest he is still a little 'green' although that is to be expected from any player with his level of experience (or lack of) in the NHL. Especially with young players learning to play D or in goal in the NHL. Given time and some experience I think he could fill a top 4 role on the Habs. Although I want to see how his play with the puck adapts in the NHL. There were times last year where I was very disappointed with what he tried doing when he had the puck in the AHL. But he didn't seem to make as many mistakes in the NHL as far as I could tell without watching most of the games.

I can see why he might be a little overrated in some peoples eyes, but I think there is more than enough potential for him to become a #4 guy on the blueline. He might not be the best guy for that role right now, although it can be argued, but in the near future, he could easily make the spot his own. Being right handed will help his cause as well until Subban and the rest of those kids are ready to challenge him.
Nice analysis QGD! I always appreciate your input, especially considering that you have watched these prospects grow from when they were in Hamilton. I'm sure for you it will be nice to see Hamilton get a new influx of talent after the somewhat "dry" year they had in 2007-2008 for new young talent. Should be fun seeing the likes of Maxwell, White, Weber, and Wyman (more playing time)..

Looking forward to your reports once the season starts!!

Old
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Yep.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
O'Byrne is not overrated, hell not!

But guys, do you see him as a future Pronger on the blueline?
No, I thought he was a multi-Billionaire's Scott Stevens

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
znk

If anything I think he's underrated. Proof is in the existence of this thread.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I do think that he is somewhat overated (he is good but may need more time to be a good NHLer than some people think ).. but Gainey seem to see him in his top 4.. so... lets wait and see.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I wanted him to be more than Peter Popovic so he needs to proove that he can hit in the big leagues. Then the only thing that needs to be proved is his hockey sense at higher speed. Not expecting anything offensively so he's obviously not overrated in that sense.

A d-man takes longer time to develop so no need to send him packing. But there are some good question marks about his game that's for sure. And that's the thing, with those question marks, I don't see him developing into a top 4 d-man on a contending team. Would look better in a bottom 2.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Haddock

The fact that he's considered a no.4 at best tells me he's not very overrated.

And he'll be a great no.4 at that!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
FrankMTL

I'm very curious how things will play out at training camp this year. I remember hearing that the habs coaching staff was very impressed by Valentenko as well as O'Byrne at last years camp. I think it's only a matter of time before he starts getting some time in the NHL. He started off slow in Hamilton, but got better and better as the year went on. He's exactly what we need against team with nastier forwards, like the Flyers.

Also, you can bet that Chipchura, Stewart and D'Agostini are going to want to prove a few things. There should be some good battles for the bottom 6 forward spots.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
RE-HABS

Aren't the majority of our prospects overrated by people here?

On O'Byrne I think he has #4 capability, but he won't develop as quickly as Komisarek.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote