HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

McCabe has waived his clause...

Old
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
rizzo32

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to rizzo32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
We have to, the LEAFS are on TV constantly.

Hey Leafs fans, Bryan McCabe has negative trade value and you are likely giving up your 1st round pick and there is NO guarantee you're getting one back.

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
I doubt they move Martinek or Meyer considering he just signed a two year extension last season.

rizzo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eraserhead

Quote:

Hey Leafs fans, Bryan McCabe has negative trade value and you are likely giving up your 1st round pick and there is NO guarantee you're getting one back.

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
Sorry, man, but you'd be stupid as hell to think the Leafs would get rid of the 7th overall just to dump McCabe. Probably the dumbest proposal I've seen in a long time.

eraserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. lol.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
although that is realistic, it doesnt seem likely

to NYI: McCabe, 7th overall
to TOR: Tambellini, 2nd round 08, 4th round 09

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
Might as well keep him then.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bornfromjets

Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.

Whats the point in trading McCabe then? Its not like the Leafs are desperate to get rid of him. The Leafs are looking for more draft pics, not to shed salary.

And yes, the Leafs will just keep McCabe if they can't get the #5.

bornfromjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
rizzo32

Send a message via AIM to rizzo32
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post

Don't see that happening either. Why would the leafs trade out of the first round just to dump McCabe? Doesn't make any sense.

rizzo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Is there any indication the Islanders even want McCabe? I mean I think he's a fine defenseman and all, but what if they just say: No thanks. The Isles are in the middle of a rebuild so it isn't like they 'need' McCabe for next season to be competitive or anything, and they can probably draft a nice player to fit into their core by just standing pat.

Seems to me the Leafs are bargaining from a weak position with this one.
Exactly. This is why most Isles fans are proposing such low offers....it isn't that McCabe has no or negative value, it is that he has very low value TO THE ISLES. So if he won't go anywhere else, it is up to the Leafs to decide if they want to get rid of him or not. It is one thing to say McCabe is worth more than x, but it is different to say he is worth more than x to the Isles.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfromjets View Post
Whats the point in trading McCabe then? Its not like the Leafs are desperate to get rid of him. The Leafs are looking for more draft pics, not to shed salary.

And yes, the Leafs will just keep McCabe is they can't get the #5.

And I'm pretty sure they are desperate to get rid of that anchor from around their necks.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
I am an Islander fan and even I my head at that one

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
The fairest deal for McCabe, (in my opinion):
McCabe
7th overall
60th overall

for

5th overall
36th overall
Thats terrible. MaCabe is at MOST worth a mid 2nd rounder.
You're basically asking the Isle to move down 2 spots for the 60th? I guarantee they'd rather just keep th 5th and 36th.

Terrible.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure they are desperate to get rid of that anchor from around their necks.
what?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo32 View Post
Don't see that happening either. Why would the leafs trade out of the first round just to dump McCabe? Doesn't make any sense.
Agreed. There is no why the Leafs would trade their first rounder to get rid of McCabe

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:50 PM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post

I might think McCabe is crap...but theres no chance NYI picks up the 7th for that package. TOR would be better off keeping Mccabe and the 7th.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
goliath5151

Quote:

McCabe
Kronvall
7th Overall

for

Martinek
Meyer
Tambellini

That seems likely.
McCabes value isnt THAT low. Terrible proposal. You do realize Snows comments arent the divine word of god right? Just because he says he'd want a 1st for taking on mccabes salary, doesnt mean he'll get it.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Not sure why the Leafs are so desperate to trade him. They'd be better off getting "full value" for Kubina from a team like CLM (19th overall) and holding onto McCabe. When McCabe was out last year, the team imploded. He's definetely not an "elite" guy, but he's a good top pairing guy that can eat minutes IMO, and I think the Leafs will be significantly worse off next year if he's traded. It's not like they $5.75M of cap space is going to get them an impact UFA. Who is available - Vrbata & Huselius? It's not like there's a "quick fix" available.
I wouldn't say Toronto is necessarily 'desperate' to trade McCabe, BUT it would be beneficial to their rebuilding efforts to turn him into some legitimate assets, and continue their youth movement. Had their not been such a huge NTC issue in Toronto most of these guys would have already been gone in my opinion.

So what you have here is the unfortunate reality where the Leafs have a desire to turn McCabe into a proactive asset base to help with their rebuild...which isn't an issue in itself; what the issue comes down to is the guy happened to narrow his field of potential destinations down to a single team, which also happens to be rebuilding, and also has an interest in maintaining youth assets over moving them for veteran presence. So what exactly is the Isles incentive here? They have no incentive to overpay for McCabe (or even necessarily pay market value for him since the market is...well just them), and they can just happily go along with their rebuild, and draft a couple solid players to add to their core this draft. Toronto has a similar incentive to turn their veteran assets into youth pieces, but in this case unfortunately you don't necessarily have a double coincidence of wants. So basically unless they're willing to accept an under-market-value return on McCabe they are probably stuck with him regardless.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Thats terrible. MaCabe is at MOST worth a mid 2nd rounder.
You're basically asking the Isle to move down 2 spots for the 60th?
It never seems to actually take as much to move up as some people think. Mostly because a big reason why teams trade down in the first place seems to be because the guy they REALLY want is going to be available when they pick anyway. It's picking up assets for nothing.

Example: In 2002, Florida has the first overall pick. Columbus has the third overall pick. Columbus wants Nash and Florida wants Bouwmeester. Florida has an assurance from Atlanta that they will not be picking Bouwmeester with the second pick.

To Columbus: 1st overall
To Florida: 3rd overall and option to swap 1st round picks in the next draft

Two spots. All it took was the option to switch firsts next year. Why? Because both teams are getting the players they want anyway.

I'm willing to bet there's a team or two out there that actually has Boedker ranked higher than Filatov. Teams' lists tend to vary greatly. That's why they go out and scout. If they could just pick up the latest copy of THN, well, they'd all save a heck of a lot of travel money.

IF the Isles are one of those teams, then it's not a big deal at all to move down two spots, because they're getting the player they would've chosen anyway, AND an asset.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:

If so, I think Fletcher would just take a 3rd or 4th round pick to get rid of him, not give up their 1st overall in a deep draft just to get rid of him. He's not suffering from Old Timer's, dude.

You need a nap.

Btw, let me remind everyone that no one else has reported this (waiving of clause) but Eklund, right?

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:58 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I wouldn't say Toronto is necessarily 'desperate' to trade McCabe, BUT it would be beneficial to their rebuilding efforts to turn him into some legitimate assets, and continue their youth movement. Had their not been such a huge NTC issue in Toronto most of these guys would have already been gone in my opinion.

So what you have here is the unfortunate reality where the Leafs have a desire to turn McCabe into a proactive asset base to help with their rebuild...which isn't an issue in itself; what the issue comes down to is the guy happened to narrow his field of potential destinations down to a single team, which also happens to be rebuilding, and also has an interest in maintaining youth assets over moving them for veteran presence. So what exactly is the Isles incentive here? They have no incentive to overpay for McCabe (or even necessarily pay market value for him since the market is...well just them), and they can just happily go along with their rebuild, and draft a couple solid players to add to their core this draft. Toronto has a similar incentive to turn their veteran assets into youth pieces, but in this case unfortunately you don't necessarily have a double coincidence of wants. So basically unless they're willing to accept an under-market-value return on McCabe they are probably stuck with him regardless.
McCabe long ago shot down the rumours of wanting to go to Long Island because his wife's family lives in Florida during the winter anyway so there is no attraction there. Ferguson said on TSN after he was fired that he felt that McCabe would agree to go to a team in the east.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
bornfromjets

Quote:

Anchor? You mean the 5.75Mil cap hit with an actual pay out of 4.7Mil a year for the remainder of the contract? That sure as hell is no anchor around their necks.

The Leafs have lots of cap space and would be more than willing to keep McCabe if they cannot get a decent return for him.

Lets get one thing straight. No one will be doing the Leafs a favor by trading for McCabe.

bornfromjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
hockey_nut

from TFP [http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor080619.html]:

Quote:
While there's a good chance the Leafs will get a shot at Boedker with the seventh-overall selection, sources tell TFP the Leafs have been speaking with the New York Islanders about moving up to the No.5 slot.

It's believed the Leafs are trying to package the No.7 pick along with defenseman Bryan McCabe in exchange for the Islanders' No.5 selection and an unknown roster player.

One league executive told TFP that such a trade could be consummated during the first round, which begins tomorrow at 7pm ET.

If the Leafs are unable to move up, they could go with Boedker or, as the Toronto Star suggests, rugged defenseman Tyler Myers.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:00 PM
CrossbarSniper*

My proposal yesterday was.

To Leafs: 5th, Gervais, Tambellini

To Isles: 7th, Mccabe

This is as fair as I see it. Leafs get a young, depth D-man, and a young depth crossbar sniper and move up two spots. Isles get that Offensive D-man they need(plus under contract for a few years) all while still being able to draft a good Center(Hodgson, Beach, Boychuk)which is what we need IMO.

According to this site, Filatov moved down to 7th, he was 4 yesterday.
http://www.mynhldraft.com/

So who knows.

CrossbarSniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Is there any indication the Islanders even want McCabe? I mean I think he's a fine defenseman and all, but what if they just say: No thanks. The Isles are in the middle of a rebuild so it isn't like they 'need' McCabe for next season to be competitive or anything, and they can probably draft a nice player to fit into their core by just standing pat.

Seems to me the Leafs are bargaining from a weak position with this one.
As I said before, I don't see any decent D-men scrambling to get to the Island any time in the near future. And I don't think you have the fanbase to survive a full rebuild. That's why the Islanders have been rebuilding for what, 15 years? You can't sell tickets to watch prospects "develop" unless you live in a city with a crazy fanbase. Guys like McCabe and Yashin, as much as you don't want them, put butts in the seats.
In other words, you guys can't really be picky, which is a pretty weak position to be bargaining from.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
McCabe long ago shot down the rumours of wanting to go to Long Island because his wife's family lives in Florida during the winter anyway so there is no attraction there. Ferguson said on TSN after he was fired that he felt that McCabe would agree to go to a team in the east.
Well that obviously changes the entire situation, but I was operating on the assumptions in the article under discussion, which indicated McCabe has waived 'to go to Long Island'. I have not followed the situation closely enough to speculate on the probability of him waiving for another destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
As I said before, I don't see any decent D-men scrambling to get to the Island any time in the near future. And I don't think you have the fanbase to survive a full rebuild. That's why the Islanders have been rebuilding for what, 15 years? You can't sell tickets to watch prospects "develop" unless you live in a city with a crazy fanbase. Guys like McCabe and Yashin, as much as you don't want them, put buts in the seats.

In other words, you guys can't really be picky, which is a pretty weak position to be bargaining from.
I'm actually a Canucks fan. Just discussing for the sake of discussing!

As far as your point, I'd tend to think with a couple more solid drafts the Islanders will have a great young core in the next 3-4 years. They are also pretty set between the pipes. But really the jist of what I'm saying is the Isles really have no strong incentive to go out and grab McCabe at market value. Unless of course there is a greater number of teams McCabe would be willing to waive for as mooseOAK indicated above, in which case the Leafs can obviously expect an increase in return.

Last edited by Bobby Lou: 06-19-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbarSniper View Post
My proposal yesterday was.

To Leafs: 5th, Gervais, Tambellini

To Isles: 7th, Mccabe
That's as fair as they come, especially if the Leafs want to move up. Would the Isles actually do this, though? Hard to figure this because other teams may jockey for position to get the players they want, and who knows what or who the Isles and Toronto wants. I really think if any moves are made regarding draft picks, it will happen tomorrow night when GMs will clearly lay their cards out on the table and be honest with each other (somewhat). Let the games begin.

Still, I'll remind you we are still going on about an Eklund rumor. And now a FourthPeriod.Com rumor (that doesn't do it for me, either).

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote