HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I LOVE Gonchar but....

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Catala

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
I LOVE Gonchar but....

i don't think it's likely gonna happen...

Question: Is Gonchar our real need?

Let's say we do get Gonchar who is to me, a top 3 Offensive defenseman as well as decent defensively. He is 30, have many years to come as a top defenseman in the league. The concensus turns toward having to ship to Washington prospects such as Plekanek, Hainsey and a draft pick. Even if it is Hossa, balej and a pick and so on, i Really think it's wasting what AS took 2/3 years to build up; a deep roster with young talents able to make an "impact" (carefull here). Still, in my opinion, the defensive squad of the habs is on the verge of being a top one in the NHL. 3 years from now, we might still count on a strong unit with Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Hainsey who all have the potential to become impacts players in any team.

Now, let's say BG take some of the prospects to bring that top defenseman who will be deeply usefull for the next 5-6 years. So what do we lose? 3 potentials...bah might be worth it, let's continue...

Other Issue:
Does wasting our best ressource/bait wouldn't hurt the franchise to bring a solution to the real issue? A power forward.

I think we all agree that what the habs need is a solid wing able to play on Saku's line and bring an offensive solution to the habs. (see Smith's rumors)

4th line, good
3rd line, need of a right handed center
2nd line, good (with the future upgrades thanks to perezhogin, katsy, balej, hossa
1rst line, need of a power forward playing on the LW.

So, we need a PF... what will it cost us? 2 prospects and a regular? which looks like a good deal for something we badly, badly need.

ok, ok so now what. we have Gonchar whom cost us 3 prospects, and a PF that cost us about the same.

We then miss 6 prospects that from what we can see right now could become very valuable to us.

So the question stands, Do we really have to focus on Gonchar (to replace Souray during 6 weeks) or would it be better to focus on our real need to rebuild a great team one step at a time....?

It's important to be patient and not wanting everything so quickly now that we see the end of the nightmare. Let's not fall back in the "cliches" that killed us from 95-99 and that are killing so many teams in the league... (see Rangers for details)

Old
02-15-2004, 08:40 AM
felixd

No, we do NOT need Gonchar. While our powerplay is struggling, Gonchar would cost too much and is somewhat of a defensive liability. The best player the Canadiens could get would be a hard hitting defenseman under 30 with a heavy shot and who knows who to clear the front of the net. Basically, another Souray. I'm not sure if this player exists, and if he does, the asking price would be very high.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
You say we need a PF, but so do 15 other teams in the NHL, they're hard to come by.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Traitor8

Imagine Sergei Gonchar and Souray on the PP unit come playoff time? That can single handedly win us games. Pair him up with a guy like Craig Rivet or Stephane Quintal and you get a very good player. You should see some of the defenseman he is paired with. ...

Talk about top 3 LD...Gonchar,Souray,Markov..WOW! so we can afford to trade a guy liek Hainsey or something. with our RD being Brisebois,Komisarek,Rivet..which isn't bad at all.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:32 PM
electric

The problem is that we don't have many players who have a high trade value... getting Gonchar would cost an arm, a leg and the CD player of George Gillet's son.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Markov! Russian for Russian!

Old
02-15-2004, 01:07 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
watching last nights game it seemed we had plenty of good opportunities at the net but no goals from them

inexperience or do we need a goal scorer?

Old
02-15-2004, 01:33 PM
FTK

Gonchar for Markov and First

Gonchar was drafted for his defensive game then his offensive game got better with time. He's not bad defensivly. He's not overly physical, so I wouldn't say he's the total package but he's one of the top 5 Dmans in the league right now.

THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM IN YOUR TEAM FOR A PLAYER LIKE GONCHAR !!!

Old
02-15-2004, 01:40 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK

Gonchar was drafted for his defensive game then his offensive game got better with time. He's not bad defensivly. He's not overly physical, so I wouldn't say he's the total package but he's one of the top 5 Dmans in the league right now.

If we are trading Markov for Gonchar we are adding by subtracting aren't we?

We have a replacement for Souray in Gonchar but who replaces Markov??? Hainsey??? Plus 1st for Gonchar could be a high pick for the Caps if we miss the playoffs, I think that is a high price to pay for a high salaried Dman. Gonchar won't have the Jagr, Lang or Bondra's to play with in Montreal....I don;t think the trade for Gonchar fits this team until we getting more scoring up front.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:58 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
If we are trading Markov for Gonchar we are adding by subtracting aren't we?

We have a replacement for Souray in Gonchar but who replaces Markov??? Hainsey??? Plus 1st for Gonchar could be a high pick for the Caps if we miss the playoffs, I think that is a high price to pay for a high salaried Dman. Gonchar won't have the Jagr, Lang or Bondra's to play with in Montreal....I don;t think the trade for Gonchar fits this team until we getting more scoring up front.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK

You takes to much drugs imo...
No way i give up on Markov now after his last season performance and I dont ADD a FIRST round pick on top of that...

Markov is still young, Gonchar could be a possible addition but Hainsey is more of an option to trade (with more of course).

Still not sure if i really want him that much but if the price is decent, i would listen very carefully.

Example: If Hainsey and 1 other prospect (yes depend which one) is what Washington wants, I would be ok doing it. Hainsey is 23(?) and i think he will be fined. But he would not have much of a chance with Markov, Souray and Gonchar in front of him... for Gonchar, he could be trade. It's all comes to what they want with Hainsey...

Old
02-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Zednik

Hainsey + 2nd pick ? or Komisarek straight ? That's the price I'd pay, no more ! Gonchar is an impending UFA, right ?

Old
02-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Traitor8

He will be UFA in the summer of 2005 unless the team signs him to an extension before that.

But anyways, hell no! I wouldn't give up Komisarek.

Markov,Souray,Komisarek are untouchables on the defensive corps for Gonchar.

Rivet,Bouillon,Brisebois and possible Hainsey could go.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
You say we need a PF, but so do 15 other teams in the NHL, they're hard to come by.
i know that

i didn't say why don't we have a PF, only that we needed one and should spend our ressources in acquiring one.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:06 PM
habitants9_4

I wish we could kill 3 birds with 1 stone

If we get Gonchar, I think it does, and here is why:

#1 We add scoring, and offense.
#2 We fill our short term need of a top quality defender
#3 Markov finally gets his Russian friend, and plays with more enthusiasm

Old
02-16-2004, 07:55 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
If we get Gonchar, I think it does, and here is why:

#1 We add scoring, and offense.
#2 We fill our short term need of a top quality defender
#3 Markov finally gets his Russian friend, and plays with more enthusiasm
Sorry but I have to disagree with #1 and #2

#1, In WAS, Gonchar was playing with Bondra, Lang and Jagr, all world class talents. It's easy to get assists if you have those kind of finishers playing with you. In Montreal, he wouldn't get nearly as many points.

#2, While he is a top quality defender, he needs to be paired with a defenseman who is exceptional defensively to cover him. Souray might be able to do it, but I'm not sure. Second, he is tied for worst +/- on the team. Some of you might say +/- is a bogus stat when comparing players, but when you are comparing players on the same team, it is a viable stat. Gonchar is a defensive liability, and he is not what the Habs need.

Also, filling our short term need is not something the Habs need to do now. We are still building for the future, we need to think long term, not short term.

Closed Thread