HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I missing something?

Old
06-19-2008, 06:29 AM
crystal ball

vCash: 500
Am I missing something?

What's with all the talk of trading the rights of pending UFAs at this point? Either there's tampering involved and the team receiving the player already knows he'll sign, or the team in question is taking a big, stupid risk. Why bother when you can sign the player for free ten days later? I know Holmgren pulled it off, but I don't believe that was above board. So, why is there so much discussion and scuttlebutt about trading rights?

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
What's with all the talk of trading the rights of pending UFAs at this point? Either there's tampering involved and the team receiving the player already knows he'll sign, or the team in question is taking a big, stupid risk. Why bother when you can sign the player for free ten days later? I know Holmgren pulled it off, but I don't believe that was above board. So, why is there so much discussion and scuttlebutt about trading rights?
It happens all the time. Sure, the players and teams talk, but can anyone prove the tampering?

Sometimes the players don't actually sign. Messier's rights were traded to San Jose before going back to NY on July 1st.

If I remember correctly, we gave up a 5th rounder just to sign Juneau before July 1st. The teams that don't have the edge in the free agent market will do quite a bit to be able to negotiate with a player before anyone else.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Noldo

One could agrue that having traded for Timonen and Hartnell last year was graet move by Holmgren.

First, it allowed him to concentrate on signing Briere come July 1st.

Secondly, it was sign to other free agents (once again, especially Briere) that team is turning it around and would be good place to sign.

Holmgren paid at least fair value for both Timonen and Hartnell, so trading for them did not save him any cap space, but ability to concentrate on few targets in time can be valuable asset in negotiations.

But the most important point is that Flyers did quite well last seasons, and Holmgren's move was at least to some extent reason for their succes. Like always, everyone is intrested in copying working formula.

Still, I believe that there is much more talk about trading rights than actual trades. So far in both Flyers' cases (Timonen & Hartnell as well as Prospal) the trading chip moving away from Philly (1st rounder, Prospal) had been previously traded for from the team it was returned in off-season.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

On July 1st most players just listen to the best offer and make a deal. There's far less time for negotiations. July 1st is a bidding war, for all you know, a team could offer a player 5 million, and out of fear of not obtaining him a team will offer him 7 million, not realizing they are 2 million over. There's a ton of pressure come July 1st for the big UFAs, any chance a team has to get extra time to negotiate and see what a player is looking for helps.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Pascal

and that is why TB got prospal's rights, cuz they know a much better team will be offering him similar money and he will sign there. if they really thought he wanted to be back for sure they wouldn't bother. It gives them time to lick his ass a bit.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
and that is why TB got prospal's rights, cuz they know a much better team will be offering him similar money and he will sign there. if they really thought he wanted to be back for sure they wouldn't bother. It gives them time to lick his ass a bit.
Ah...of course...the extended ass-licking period. I guess teams that aren't as rich or as attractive as some others will take any chance they can get to gain even the tiniest advantage. Makes sense in a sort of desperate, what-was-the-point-of-the-lockout kind of way.

Old
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Judge Sauer*

Well, two years ago it was the buyout, last year it was the RFA offersheets and this time it's the rights to UFA's. There'a different flavour each year. Next year, it'll be sign and trades.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Well, two years ago it was the buyout, last year it was the RFA offersheets and this time it's the rights to UFA's. There'a different flavour each year. Next year, it'll be sign and trades.
And by the time 2015 rolls off it'll be the Leafs finally making the playoffs.

ha

ha

ha

Old
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
One Trick Pony

So it's only a right and the player can still say no I don't want to sign? I don't see the advantage unless your sure he will accept to sign with you, but if you are why not just wait for july 1st ang get him for free? Is there something I'm missing?

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
So it's only a right and the player can still say no I don't want to sign? I don't see the advantage unless your sure he will accept to sign with you, but if you are why not just wait for july 1st ang get him for free? Is there something I'm missing?
More time to lick the ass, didn't you read?

Old
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
More time to lick the ass, didn't you read?
I read, and I just realized I asked the exact same thing as the OP lol.. so i'm either drunk or stupid, but im not drunk so lets say im just tired.

Old
06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
znk

You are definetly missing something.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

i'm missing a sock...anyone see a sock?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:26 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
i'm missing a sock...anyone see a sock?
socks are overrated

Old
06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
crystal ball

Quote:
socks are overrated
Socks + Halak + a 2nd?

Old
06-19-2008, 08:42 PM
MathMan

Quote:
You can do what Carolina did for Hordichuk. Trade the rights for a 5th in 2008, but get a conditional 5th in 2009 if he doesn't sign back.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You can do what Carolina did for Hordichuk. Trade the rights for a 5th in 2008, but get a conditional 5th in 2009 if he doesn't sign back.
Now that makes sense

And about the ass licking, im not sure how this will affect the players. As we saw, all they care about is the money so even if they negociate with a team for 1 weak before everybody, when july 1st comes they will get this crasy offer that they can't refuse.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

...less ass-licking, more ass kicking!!

Lets start with the Leafs and build on that...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote