HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: RDS - Avery and Straka will not be Re-signed (Post #190)

Old
06-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
For the moment. Period.
I agree that Callahan will turn into a better Hockey player. but right now we NEED Avery.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
We may all be over reacting a bit to a classic Uncle Larry article that provides no quotes, no solid facts, and is based on "unnamed sources" and other illusions. Many GMs rarely negotiate with UFAs until after the draft, which is what I think Slats' plan is all along.

IF this turns out to be true, I think I have to give Slats credit for not being held hostage by these players. This strategy may have some of them returned to us for less than what it may have cost us now. If not, I trust Schoenfeld, Clarke, Renney, and Slats to make decisions that are in the best interest of this team's short, medium, and long term future. The latter two of which I know wouldn't include any of these players with the exception of Rosie.
Agree.

Classic Larry Brooks article to instill panic and get attention.... I wonder if it's the same 'sources' that told him the Rangers were shopping Prucha for Rucinsky 2 seasons ago, after passing on him in the off-season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The drop off in Jagr's performance this year IS a hole that needs to be filled. For someone that commands that much ice time, particularly on the PP, the offense just has to be there. If it was, he would have the renewal triggers and there wouldn't even be a discussion on the topic.

The saddest part is that he was STILL arguably the best Ranger winger. If that doesn't say that these forward lines need to be absolutely re-invented, I don't know what does. No status quo for me.
If the Rangers resign Jagr AND Avery it doesn't mean they are status quo. Not with Rozsival, Mara, Strudwick, Straka, and Shanny gone. Not with a PP QB (whoever he is) on the way...Not with two new second line players coming in...Not with 2 or 3 new defenseman coming in...

If second half Dubinsky played with first half Jagr last year does Jagr hit his triggers in his contract?

For all the talk about Gomez and Jagr not clicking (which is true to a great extent) Gomez played his best hockey with Jagr last season.

I don't think we would be looking at an improved roster next season without these guys. After the season I was very bitter about most of these guys but as time moved away from the playoffs and looking at what's out there...I just don't see the Rangers moving in the RIGHT direction letting these guys walk...WITHOUT and offer to Jagr and WITHOUT a last offer to Avery before July 1st....I don't know...maybe that's why I'm not a GM (that and a million other reasons) because I'm missing something here..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If the Rangers resign Jagr AND Avery it doesn't mean they are status quo. Not with Rozsival, Mara, Strudwick, Straka, and Shanny gone. Not with a PP QB (whoever he is) on the way...Not with two new second line players coming in...Not with 2 or 3 new defenseman coming in...

If second half Dubinsky played with first half Jagr last year does Jagr hit his triggers in his contract?

For all the talk about Gomez and Jagr not clicking (which is true to a great extent) Gomez played his best hockey with Jagr last season.

I don't think we would be looking at an improved roster next season without these guys. After the season I was very bitter about most of these guys but as time moved away from the playoffs and looking at what's out there...I just don't see the Rangers moving in the RIGHT direction letting these guys walk...WITHOUT and offer to Jagr and WITHOUT a last offer to Avery before July 1st....I don't know...maybe that's why I'm not a GM (that and a million other reasons) because I'm missing something here..
Sather is probably going to give them offers after the draft.

Old
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I just don't see the Rangers moving in the RIGHT direction letting these guys walk...WITHOUT and offer to Jagr and WITHOUT a last offer to Avery before July 1st....
In Jagr's case, it probably that it's just unlikely that he'd go to another team, and if he's going to leave for the KHL, the timing of the NYR offer is probably not important.

My gut feeling is, Renney and Sather want Jagr back, and whether it happens or not is really not dependent on the expiration of his contract.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:41 PM
BwayBshirt

i understand the love for avery on this board, but why so much hate for sather if he doesn't re-sign the guy?

avery is the kasparaitis of forwards, he's great at what he does now but MUCH sooner rather than later it will catch up to him. the body can only take so many hits. has anyone considered that sather is taking this into consideration?

and on top of that, why should sather cave in right away to a guy who went out of his way publicly to show distaste over arbitration last year? i don't think that's the main reason but seriously folks there's a bit of a business approach that has to be taken here.

i'm not saying i completely trust sather. but he's been trying to surround himself with good people whom give imput to him from all accounts it seems. let's just see what happens.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
i understand the love for avery on this board, but why so much hate for sather if he doesn't re-sign the guy?

avery is the kasparaitis of forwards, he's great at what he does now but MUCH sooner rather than later it will catch up to him. the body can only take so many hits. has anyone considered that sather is taking this into consideration?

and on top of that, why should sather cave in right away to a guy who went out of his way publicly to show distaste over arbitration last year? i don't think that's the main reason but seriously folks there's a bit of a business approach that has to be taken here.

i'm not saying i completely trust sather. but he's been trying to surround himself with good people whom give imput to him from all accounts it seems. let's just see what happens.
He's only 27.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

They just said on TSN that Jagr met with Sather yesterday and wants a 2 year deal, but the Rangers only want one.

News to me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
They just said on TSN that Jagr met with Sather yesterday and wants a 2 year deal, but the Rangers only want one.

News to me.
Eh, I can see them working that out...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What is this business he might bolt after year 1? BS

Jagr for 2 years is very acceptable imo. Hes earned it.

06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post

Hell Yeah. i trust TSN, before Larry any day and time. Hopefully Jags takes a paycut so he can sign Avery for what he wants

Old
06-20-2008, 10:05 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
He's only 27.
and in a couple of years he'll play alot older than 29 at the pace he plays.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
and in a couple of years he'll play alot older than 29 at the pace he plays.
give him a 3 year contract, then he wont be our problem when he has peaked

Old
06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
give him a 3 year contract, then he wont be our problem when he has peaked
and at what price would he be willing to play at for 3 years? $4m? is he worth that to you?

Old
06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post

Sorry but i dont want a 38 year old Jagr in 2010.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unfortunately, that includes our free agents as well. At least in my opinion anyway.
I agree completely.

I wouldn't bend over backward for ANY of our free agent class.

Personally, this makes me happy, let them all walk.

This, people, is the reason why the draft is so important, and the reason why trading away your free agents at the deadline is important (unless you are a serious contender, which the Rangers were not).

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
and at what price would he be willing to play at for 3 years? $4m? is he worth that to you?
3 years, at 3.5 per i would do. He has so much value to our team its weird.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

throw the kitchen sink at Pittsburgh and go and get Malkin!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers aren't giving Jagr a 2 year contract.The 2nd year of the deal would count against the cap regardless of whether or not Jagr plays in 2009-10.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

2 years is perfect...give it to him. Gives us 2 years to prepare without Jagr, and gives Cherry a year with Jagr......its so perfect...stop being an idiot slats.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers aren't giving Jagr a 2 year contract.The 2nd year of the deal would count against the cap regardless of whether or not Jagr plays in 2009-10.
Why wouldn't he play in 09-10 if he signed a 2yr deal?

Old
06-21-2008, 12:35 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's a manageable risk. If he is injured and can't play, we have long term disablity (i.e. Mogilny). If he "defects" we can suspend him. In either case, we get cap relief. Geez, after watching the playoffs last year; two more years seems like a big concession on his part. He could easily get 3-4 years from plenty of other teams.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:45 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It's a manageable risk. If he is injured and can't play, we have long term disablity (i.e. Mogilny). If he "defects" we can suspend him. In either case, we get cap relief. Geez, after watching the playoffs last year; two more years seems like a big concession on his part. He could easily get 3-4 years from plenty of other teams.
He's not going to screw the team and defect..so lets scratch that off.

And he's been the most healthy Ranger for the past 3 regular seasons...playing in all 82 games each of those years.

So that also I would not worry about.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
throw the kitchen sink at Pittsburgh and go and get Malkin!
Why do you keep going on about Malkin?

Let it go, man. The Pens aren't trading Malkin, and if by some act of God they did, they sure as hell would never trade him to the Rangers. The Rangers don't even have the assets to acquire that type of player, not even close. And even if they did, one player isn't worth selling the farm for.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
2 years is perfect...give it to him. Gives us 2 years to prepare without Jagr, and gives Cherry a year with Jagr......its so perfect...stop being an idiot slats.
QFT!