HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: RDS - Avery and Straka will not be Re-signed (Post #190)

Old
06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/254229.html

Translation:

Well, Avery is gone. Why the hell is Shanny being negotiated with
Meh.....

"The Rangers have five prominent impending free agents - Jagr, Brendan Shanahan, Sean Avery, Martin Straka and Michael Rozsival. Sather said he wants them all back. He did, however, add that, "I wouldn't tell you if I didn't." "

Slats on Shanny:

" "I'll tell you exactly what I told Brendan and that's until we know where the pieces are going to fall, he's just going to have to be patient and see how it comes out," the GM said. "We're in a position right now where we haven't spent our free agent money and we have some kids coming . . .
"We're all trying to be bigger, better, faster. Making the playoffs isn't good enough. We want to go farther. Brendan has been a big part of our success. I don't want to shut the door early. He knows I'm going to treat him with respect." "

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06222008...an__116658.htm

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

From Dellapina:

Quote:
Rangers GM Glen Sather spent the entire, 30-minute seventh round of the NHL draft sitting with Avery's agent Pat Morris Saturday. And after Morris made his pitch, complete with a folder full of statistical evidence, he emerged all but convinced that Avery won't be re-signed before becoming an unrestricted free agent at noon on July 1.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...n_avery_g.html

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think I trust the Russian News Agencys more than I do RDS...Heck give me a scoop from that Sweedish newspaper that had Lundqvist and Nylander signed last year over this...

I could be 100% wrong about his but I can't see the Rangers letting Avery go but bringing back Grandpa Shanny. Shanny has no business being resigned and I hope Sather is smart enough to see that. If this was 5 years ago this board would be killing Sather for a Vet blocking a kid...(back when we had no kids to block) now we have kids that can step in for Shanny and we actually have Rangers fans that don't have a problem with this Shanny being resigned...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:40 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
At least there are a few of us who don't want Shanny back. I can't see how the team moves forward with him being on the team in a diminished role even.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I'll take Shanny back for a cheap role on the third and fourth lines.

However, I'm equally as interested as to hearing Avery AND Straka won't be re-signed. That leaves me to believe Jagr will not be back because Straka was intending on signing after seeing what Jagr was going to do.

Avery.. meh. I haven't cared about him for a long while in terms of being on the team. To much distractions. It was fun while it lasted but we have to move on, and it'd be good for him to go out West and away from our skin. So that I'm not to bothered about.

But Straka should be re-signed, it would be for pretty cheap and he can still play.... doesn't make sense.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Not signing Avery before he becomes a free agent just isn't the same as
"not wanting him back".

Supposedly, Sather offered him about $2.75 million. That doesn't translate into "Not wanting him back."

I'm anxious to see which teams offer him what he's asking for. His act worked for us but any team that signs him is taking a risk. Especially for $3.5 million.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
BwayBshirt

i think what i take out of all of this from sather's p.o.v. is as follows:

jagr: "we want you back but at a reasonable contract ($4m-$5m) while being totally committed to this team."

avery: "when you lower your demands ($3.5m-$4m) we can talk. otherwise good luck getting the best(re: richest) deal you can get out there."

shanny: "if this offseason goes according to plan then good luck & don't let the door hit you on the way out. but i'll keep you on stand-by in case something happens not to my liking."

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Not signing Avery before he becomes a free agent just isn't the same as
"not wanting him back".

Supposedly, Sather offered him about $2.75 million. That doesn't translate into "Not wanting him back."

I'm anxious to see which teams offer him what he's asking for. His act worked for us but any team that signs him is taking a risk. Especially for $3.5 million.
Did you read the fine print? Sather was talking with Avery's agent Morris at the seventh-round table at the draft yesterday and Morris showed him the numbers and Sather disagreed. That's what Avery wants and he's not going to get it here. End of story.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I dont really know how to react to this since it is by RDS, and not exact words from Slats, but if he doesnt re-sign Avery, Im getting my "Fire Sather!" Signs out of my closet

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post

But Straka should be re-signed, it would be for pretty cheap and he can still play.... doesn't make sense.
i think sather's main goal this offseason is to make this team as independant on jagr as possible...whether he stays or not.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:57 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Did you read the fine print? Sather was talking with Avery's agent Morris at the seventh-round table at the draft yesterday and Morris showed him the numbers and Sather disagreed. That's what Avery wants and he's not going to get it here. End of story.
As I said, I'm interested to see which GMs are going to offer him $3.5 to $4 million.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
As I said, I'm interested to see which GMs are going to offer him $3.5 to $4 million.
Kevin Lowe?

Old
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
By simply showing the statistical record the Rangers have with and without him and knowing what a pest he is, I'm sure at least ONE team will be prepared to offer around $3.5.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Kevin Lowe?
Do you think Avery's agenda would be served in Edmonton?

Old
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
By simply showing the statistical record the Rangers have with and without him and knowing what a pest he is, I'm sure at least ONE team will be prepared to offer around $3.5.
Then good for Sean.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Do you think Avery's agenda would be served in Edmonton?
you didnt ask that, you asked if there was a GM to give him that money

Old
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
you didnt ask that, you asked if there was a GM to give him that money
Okay.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:38 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
If Avery really loves NY and wants to stay in NY then he will take a price cut. If Avery and his agent want to show stats then look at points and compare that point production to someone like Chris Kelly. We all love ya Sean but you have to be realistic.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
If Avery really loves NY and wants to stay in NY then he will take a price cut. If Avery and his agent want to show stats then look at points and compare that point production to someone like Chris Kelly. We all love ya Sean but you have to be realistic.
I still think he will sign in NY for 2.75-3 per, He will feild all of the offers but Compare the nightlife (clubs, Celebs, Hookers, ect) to NYC and will be compfortable here. But if he wants to get a 3.5 per for a place like St. Louis be my guest and have fun

Old
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241401&l...s=secStory_nhl

Quote:
One of the NHL's most hated players will become of the the league's most coveted players on July 1, as the New York Daily News reports that winger Sean Avery is headed to unrestricted free agency.

According to the New York Daily News, Rangers general manager Glen Sather spent the last moments of Saturday's NHL Entry Draft talking to Avery's agent Paul Morris about the possibility of re-signing the feisty winger.

And after Morris made his pitch, he emerged all but convinced that Avery won't be re-signed by the Blueshirts. "We had an interesting dialogue, and there appears to be disagreement over what Sean's value is to the New York Rangers," Morris told the paper.

Asked if he thought Avery would get to July 1 without a new contract, Morris replied, "It's highly likely that will happen."

Sather told the News that while he wanted Avery back, the asking price wasn't in line with the Rangers' numbers. "I can tell you this, Pat Morris has told me that he has never said that he wants $4 million," Sather told the Daily News. "I said, 'Well, you've given me several comparable players who you think are worth that number.' And if you look at comparisons, the kid in Ottawa (Chris Kelly) just signed (for four years at $2.125 million per). And he told me one time that he was very comparable with Sean. So, you know, it's negotiating."

Avery, 28, has been a key player with the Rangers since joining them midway through the 2006-07 season in a trade with the Los Angeles Kings. The Rangers are 50-20-16 over the last two seasons (10-8 in the playoffs) with him in the lineup, and 9-13-3 without him.

In 86 games with the Rangers, Avery scored 23 goals and tallied 53 points with 212 penalty minutes and a plus-17.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:49 PM
ThirdEye

I wonder where Avery is planning to go then. Hopefully out West. Don't want to face Avery + a grudge

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I am not a huge Avery fan and don't want him back under anything other than our terms, but I can totally see his point of view from a strictly economic point of view.

If he can get $3.5-4.0MM per year (especially with a 4th year) elsewhere, he's got to take it. I mean, you're talking about a 27%-45% difference PLUS the benefit of a lower cost of living ANYWHERE else in the league. That's not just a couple of extra dollars.

Can't blame him for going for maximizing his earning potential, especially if there's that much of a difference.

Old
06-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

It's all posturing.

Sather claims he doesn't want to sign anyone till July 1st.

Sather never said he is letting Avery walk and that he doesn't want him back.

Negotiations and posturing.

Whether he's signed by July 1st or not, is irrelevent. If Avery truely wants to stay in New York and the Rangers truely want him; they'll work out a deal. Probably an incentive deal.

If Avery or the Rangers are simply talking cr*p, then, we'll know when he signs with another team.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
You've nailed it. Avery's comparables are guys like Chris Kelly and Dan Cleary. He'll have to take less money in NY or go somewhere else. It's going to have to be a good contract though because some of the places that will have the money available don't fit his lifestyle. Not a lot of supermodels in St. Louis or Edmonton.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
It's all posturing.

Sather claims he doesn't want to sign anyone till July 1st.

Sather never said he is letting Avery walk and that he doesn't want him back.

Negotiations and posturing.

Whether he's signed by July 1st or not, is irrelevent. If Avery truely wants to stay in New York and the Rangers truely want him; they'll work out a deal. Probably an incentive deal.

If Avery or the Rangers are simply talking cr*p, then, we'll know when he signs with another team.
I agree with your general point, but I believe that incentive contracts are only allowed for draft picks and players over 35. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the CBA can confirm.