HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators Prospect Updates 2008-2009

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
Wow that's an awful comparison, a small undersized playmaker compared to a power forward. But still Regin is an immensely talented player with some upside.
Well, that's a generous comparison... but they all are... It's kinda normal that they give us the best upside those players can have, and it have to be some relatively-known players... If they say :

Risto’s comparable NHL player : Ole-Kristian Tollefsen/Alexander Svitov

People who aren't hardcore hockey fans would end up saying : "wow who the hell is he?"

Well Regin can put up near the skillset than Staal has, there is our 2nd line scoring player!

Old
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Well, that's a generous comparison... but they all are... It's kinda normal that they give us the best upside those players can have, and it have to be some relatively-known players... If they say :

Risto’s comparable NHL player : Ole-Kristian Tollefsen/Alexander Svitov

People who aren't hardcore hockey fans would end up saying : "wow who the hell is he?"

Well Regin can put up near the skillset than Staal has, there is our 2nd line scoring player!
It is a terrible comparison because they are completely dissimilar players, even giving Regin full credit for his potential. It is like saying a comparable NHL player to Nikulin is Dustin Brown.

08-02-2008, 10:01 PM
SwedeSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
It is a terrible comparison because they are completely dissimilar players, even giving Regin full credit for his potential. It is like saying a comparable NHL player to Nikulin is Dustin Brown.
There comparing the player that Regin would play like at his full potential in the NHL.

Old
08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Laoghaire

I so wish that wasnt sarcastic. If Nikulin turned into a Dustin Brown type player I would need a new pair of pants.

Old
08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayFan View Post
There comparing the player that Regin would play like at his full potential in the NHL.
Regin at his full potential might be a Brenden Morrison.

Old
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
But Regin would need to completely transform his play style to play like Eric Staal. I'm not that familiar with Regin, but a better top-end comparison would be something like Daniel Briere or Marc Savard.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
KrazyTea*

Quote:
At his full potential Regin would never be a power forward type centre, rather I see him more as a Spezza like centre then anyone, although I would never expect to confuse the two. And even that's a bad comparison.

Last edited by KrazyTea*: 08-03-2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Ya I've had a few too many wobbly pops but the Denis Savard comparison is much better.
Old
08-03-2008, 07:50 AM
sg58

Regin is Saku Koivu light, I'd say.

Old
08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

We will be lucky if Regin is as good as Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette & neither of them have broke into our top 6 as of yet.

Old
08-03-2008, 09:52 PM
SwedeSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
We will be lucky if Regin is as good as Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette & neither of them have broke into our top 6 as of yet.
I guess Antoine Vermette scoring 53 points last year doesn't mean breaking into the top 6 last year, 6 more points then Mike Fisher who only played 2 games less for

Last edited by SwedeSenators: 08-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
WisdomMarigo

Does anyone know how Condra did last season

Old
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomMarigo View Post
Does anyone know how Condra did last season
Did everything for Norte Dame, killed penalties, played PP, played all key ES situations. Got injured in the playoffs.

Will be a threat for the Hobey again his final NCAA season.

Old
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
What makes you say that?

Old
08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Xspyrit

Well i understand that Regin cannot become a Eric Staal, but i think they meant he could reach a star-level like him... that's pretty optimistic, but who knows ?
But it should be more like the type of player he is supposed to be... like :
Regin comparable : Paul Stastny

Old
08-03-2008, 10:19 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Well i understand that Regin cannot become a Eric Staal, but i think they meant he could reach a star-level like him... that's pretty optimistic, but who knows ?
But it should be more like the type of player he is supposed to be... like :
Regin comparable : Paul Stastny
Brendan Morrison is best to compare him too.

He was a 20G 40A guy in his prime, if Regin reaches his peak that is what I would like.

Old
08-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Xspyrit

I dunno why i don't see this thread in my sticky section anymore, i had to find it with a search... But anyway, since i can't buy some sleep, i made a team projection with our prospects :

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=prospect

Daugavins - O'Brien - Zubov
Foligno - Regin - Caporusso
Hennessy - Nikulin - Condra
Weller - Bass - McKenzie

Russians (actually in Russia) : Mirnov, Bashkirov
Others noticeable (but no spots for them) : Greening, Z.Smith, Grant, Petersson

Lee - E.Karlsson
Wiercioch - M.Karlsson
Kudelka - Blood
Gryba

Russians (actually in Russia) : Lyamin - Anikeyenko - Megalinsky

Elliott
Glass

I'm not gonna tell you that it would be a pretty decent line-up (based on potential) cause not many would believe it according to the Sens last prospect pool ranking...

Old
08-04-2008, 02:19 AM
source

Isn't Bashkirov on his way back to Junior here? I remember reading he got cut from his Russian team or something.

Either way, if he is indeed going to be in Junior next year, that shows he might willing to play in the AHL for a year or two to get acclimatised to the game at the pro level.

Old
08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Isn't Bashkirov on his way back to Junior here? I remember reading he got cut from his Russian team or something.

Either way, if he is indeed going to be in Junior next year, that shows he might willing to play in the AHL for a year or two to get acclimatised to the game at the pro level.
In some Russian interview he said that he's going to be playing for a Russian team this coming season.

Old
08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
tyler_sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
In some Russian interview he said that he's going to be playing for a Russian team this coming season.
I thought for sure he was playing for the Peterborough Petes. I read an article saying that last season was a right off for him and the reason why Peterborough drafted him was because his agent said he was comming back over to play in the CHL.

Old
08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
turrible
Sens Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_sens View Post
I thought for sure he was playing for the Peterborough Petes. I read an article saying that last season was a right off for him and the reason why Peterborough drafted him was because his agent said he was comming back over to play in the CHL.
If you go back in this thread a couple of pages, I actually cite the article in which you are referring. However, a poster linked up an article, where Bashkirov says his ultimate goal is to make the NHL, but will spend the year in Russia.

Old
08-04-2008, 09:36 AM
tyler_sens

Petes get prime import draft pick
Posted By BY MIKE DAVIES EXAMINER STAFF WRITER

The Peterborough Petes may have pulled the coup of the CHL Import Draft.

With their second pick, 73rd overall yesterday, they chose Russian Ruslan Bashkirov, a player who scored 30 goals two years ago for the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts. In addition, the Petes chose 16-year-old defencemen Adam Sedlak, from Vitkovice, Czech Republic with their first pick, 13th overall.

Bashkirov, a second-round draft pick of Ottawa Senators in 2007, and twin brother Roman, chosen later yesterday by Sarnia Sting, played the 2006-07 season for the Remparts. Ruslan also played in the CHL Top Prospect's game.

Petes' GM Jeff Twohey said the players went home to play pro in Russia last year, but did not enjoy the playing arrangement. Their agent Jay Grossman, who has known Twohey since childhood, told the Petes he wanted to get the players back in North America to improve their chances of signing NHL contracts.

Ruslan, 19, a five-foot-11, 190- pound left winger, had 67 points and 117 penalty minutes in 64 games for Quebec.

"We've been assured by the agent there is strong interest," said Twohey. "He's a world-class player. If we can get him here it will help with our need, which is goal scoring. This is a kid who is trying to get a contract with the Senators so it would help him, too, with his exposure to the Senators and the North American game."

Twohey said Grossman felt it was better to return to junior than play little in the Russian pro league.

"The way pro hockey is in Russia now, it's a men's league," said Twohey. "While he's a really good prospect, to get ice time on a men's team at 18 is difficult. I think he has the potential to put up big numbers at this level." ...

WAYWARD RUSSIAN APPEARS

Senators general manager Bryan Murray used last year's second-round pick (60th overall) to draft Russian left-winger Ruslan Bashkirov because he was assured Bashkirov was going to stay in North America and continue to play for Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts. So Murray was furious when Bashkirov stayed in Russia last fall and signed with Kazan AK Bars.

As it turned out, Bashkirov's year ended up being a waste. He didn't play any games with Kazan, transferred to Khimik Mytischi and played only four games there. In the spring, the Senators read Bashkirov the riot act.

"We told him we fully expected him to be here for this camp," Tim Murray said.

"Last year was a writeoff," Tim Murray said. "He played for three or four different teams and nothing worked.

"If he wants to get his career on track, he's got to stay here and play major junior hockey, and if his agent doesn't agree, he doesn't have the best interests of the player at heart."

I got these two article clips from this website : http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.js...rt=0&tstart=45

The whole forum is talking about Ruslan Bashirov if anyone wants to read it.

Old
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Xspyrit

Can anyone help me? This thread doesn't appear anymore in the Sens forum for me... I have to do a search to reach it... What happened? How can i put it back there?

Old
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Can anyone help me? This thread doesn't appear anymore in the Sens forum for me... I have to do a search to reach it... What happened? How can i put it back there?
Did you accidentally ignore the thread?

- Go to user CP and click on it (on the top left)
- Under Settings & Options there is ignored threads, click on it.
- If there is a Senators Prospect Updates 2008-2009 thread click on [Stop Ignoring This Thread]

Old
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Once both of our Karlsson's make the big club, could they be a good pairing? Erik is a good puckhandler and all that, and Mattias is a bigger decent all around d-man (from what I understand). Seems like it could be awesome, especially at confusing CBC announcers.

Old
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_sens View Post
Petes get prime import draft pick
Posted By BY MIKE DAVIES EXAMINER STAFF WRITER

The Peterborough Petes may have pulled the coup of the CHL Import Draft.
When is that article from? It seemed to be thought in June that he would be playing with the Petes, but in a Russian article from July Bashkirov said he will be in Russia.

I trust the word of Bashkirov on where he will be playing.

Closed Thread