HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Negotiations with Streit to start Monday...

Old
06-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Gainey told Streit to GTFO.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I think it was preliminary. I don't think #s were thrown out there right away, I think maybe they made a few comparables and will make an offer later on.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:25 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Gainey told Streit that hes bringing in bigger guns, and his objective was to let him go, and Sign Campbell.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Gainey: "Tits or GTFO"
Streit: ""

but seriously I doubt we pursue Streit with any amount of financial enthusiasm, Tanguay has taken up cap space and we are going to pursue another top flight free agent I believe, so Streit is probably only going to come back if he accepts a contract at either $2m or approximately $2m

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Gainey: "Tits or GTFO"
Streit: ""

but seriously I doubt we pursue Streit with any amount of financial enthusiasm, Tanguay has taken up cap space and we are going to pursue another top flight free agent I believe, so Streit is probably only going to come back if he accepts a contract at either $2m or approximately $2m
I'm not sure about how Bonuses work but I think there is a an extra little bit you can put on bonuses, maybe if streit is given one, we'd still be under the cap?

Can anyone confirm this bonus stuff? I heard it mentioned about the rangers keeping sundin and jagr.

Old
06-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Doc Hock

moronic would be a polite way of saying you are stupid

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not sure about how Bonuses work but I think there is a an extra little bit you can put on bonuses, maybe if streit is given one, we'd still be under the cap?

Can anyone confirm this bonus stuff? I heard it mentioned about the rangers keeping sundin and jagr.
Bonuses are only for rookie contracts or players that are 35 or older.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
Give him a 5 year 5m dollar contract with a 10m bonus on the 5th year if he has over 350 points?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Kriss E

We can still sign Streit if he agrees to a 2.5M/year contract.

I think having him around that much would be great to our team. If he accepts to resign here at around that much, then he'll know damn well he'd have to fix up his D game because there's pretty much 1 spot left to fill between 3 guys( Bouillon/Streit/O'Byrne...given Dandy is bought out)

If he does improve his defensive game and becomes a solid top4, then we'd have a great D. Not to mention the obvious offensive side he can bring.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:55 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
Thank you, so just to get this clear, we can give sundin a signing bonus or games played and save some cap room?

Old
06-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Thank you, so just to get this clear, we can give sundin a signing bonus or games played and save some cap room?
I believe if he gets the bonuses they end up counting, but I'm not sure. The definitely aren't built right into the cap hit from day 1 though.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
As an over 35-year-old player, Sundin would be eligible to receive bonuses on a one-year contract that can be attached against the 2009-10 cap. The same, of course, applies to Jagr. The Rangers have just under $25M remaining on the 2008-09 cap of $56M. The numbers could work if Jagr and Sundin were each to agree to base salaries of $5M with deferred bonuses.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...fs'-Sundin

Anyone else find that interesting?

Old
06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Noldo

Bonuses count against cap untill they can no longer be met (for example bonus for games played does count against cap untill games played + games remaining is less than required number).

It is also important to remember that bonuses can only be used for 35+ players SIGNING ONE YEAR CONTRACT. So no bonuses for Sundin in 2-year contract and not bonuses to Streit at all.

However, team can exceed the upper limit by 7,5 % because of the bonuses. If the team exceeds the cap because of the achieved bonuses at the end of the season, the excess will count against next season's cap. For examples Rangers are estimated to have 700.000 in bonuses from last season to count against their cap in 08-09 season.

Since the key season for Habs is going to be 09-10 (in terms of cap space), using bonuses in order to spend next years cap prematuraly is probably not the wises idea. However, after 09-10 season also Kovalev is entitled to get bonuses, so team could keep pushing cap space hits forward and forward untill they remain below the cap. (I mean signing Kovalev to 1-year deal including bonuses equalling the bonuses carried over from last year)

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Tuggy

I don't see any way that Streit comes back to be honest. He wants to play defense and that's not happening with us. Add the fact that he is going to want to get paid some big $$$ and I don't see him coming back. Gainey might offer him something but it would be less then he would get on the open market.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:44 AM
TheAntiprice*

I know I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think it is extremely important that we resign Streit, this is our 3rd leading scorer we're talking about, who got 47 of his points playing on the D and a guy who can quarterback the best powerplay in the league, he's an irreplaceable asset, we don't have anybody within our organization who brings to the table what Streit does...a 3 year, 10 million dollar contract should get the job done...

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Gainey told Streit to GTFO.
Wrong. Gainey told Streit "I give 2.5 for 2 years" and then Streit said to Gainy to GTFO.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
I know I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think it is extremely important that we resign Streit, this is our 3rd leading scorer we're talking about, who got 47 of his points playing on the D and a guy who can quarterback the best powerplay in the league, he's an irreplaceable asset, we don't have anybody within our organization who brings to the table what Streit does...a 3 year, 10 million dollar contract should get the job done...
Most of his points were quarterbacking the PP because he's such a good passer. We now have Sergei and Tanguay who also have exceptional passing skills. Sergei also has a nice shot that he rarely uses. I also believe Tanguay was used on the point in Calgary. Our D is better without him as Georges outplayed him at that position and took his spot. Where we might actually miss him is where he brought a quick shifty game to the 4th line and his ability to fit any roster opening we have (save for goal). Other then that he can be adequately replaced. Plus we have a slew of gifted young forwards as it is who will be fighting for his previous spot(s).

It also comes down to money, I'd rather have
Tanguay & Sundin then Smolinski, Ryder and Streit

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254434.html

He still hasn't received an offer.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Evil Ted

The guy gets better every year hes played so far, we need him if we want to be as successful on the pp next year.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
AHL guys are better than Streit, why would want him back??
Ignore.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
BLONG7

Streit and his agent have come down with PP Sourayitis...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Streit was 11th in PP points behind:
Yeah I believe we said the same about souray, notice the #1 guy there? Kovalev, on the right wing? Who was the guy on the right point dishing passes to him??

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Yeah I believe we said the same about souray, notice the #1 guy there? Kovalev, on the right wing? Who was the guy on the right point dishing passes to him??
i personally like mark streit (reminds me of jean reno lol) but there plain and simple is no room for him. SORRY MARK! although he could play d agai...nvm

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I don't care who it is... that spot needs to be manned by a guy with a big point shot.... need to keep PK's honest and don't let them cheat away from the man in the middle of markov and Kovalev...

Souray was that, he was replaced by streit..... do we have another point shot to replace streit......

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I don't care who it is... that spot needs to be manned by a guy with a big point shot.... need to keep PK's honest and don't let them cheat away from the man in the middle of markov and Kovalev...

Souray was that, he was replaced by streit..... do we have another point shot to replace streit......
If I had my druthers, it'd be Andrei Kostitsyn. He's got a howitzer of a slapshot.
If Sundin falls through, we could always acquire Jarret Stoll, who's got a bomb too. Valentenko has a pretty good point shot, as well.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote