HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How about trading for Mike Van Ryn?

Old
06-21-2008, 07:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
How about trading for Mike Van Ryn?

I don't post much, but I've been lurking for a long time, but I had an idea that I wanted to run by you folks.

Obviously, one way to go to solve our offensive issues on the blueline is the free agent route, but what about trading for Mike Van Ryn? I think practically anyone we get as a UFA we will have to overpay quite a bit for. This guy is solid, and if healthy, I believe better than Rozsival.

Now of course I don't know if he's available, but after the Jokinen deal, Florida has a nice array of defensemen but is pretty thin up front. Maybe we add a decent young forward that we can move, to a pick and maybe another mid-level prospect.

Van Ryn does have injury concerns, but I like the risk/reward. He can be a good, effective player. His cap hit is 2.9 I believe, which isn't bad, especially if he returns to form. He's got two years left on his deal.

Thoughts?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:47 PM
hlundqvist30*

You should post more often.

It's not the worst idea in the world. Florida CLEARLY has a surplus on defense; perhaps more than any other team in the NHL. Combine that with previous rumors that Van Ryn might be moved, and it's certainly a plausible idea that he could be traded.

As for how it affects us, I rate him as a slightly worse version of Rozsival. Obviously, he isn't the ideal acquisition for the point, but if Rozy walks and Sather doesn't see any good deals out there as FA's are concerned I see no reason why we shouldn't pull the trigger on Van Ryn. I imagine that he would cost us a guy like Pyatt.

Definitely one of the more realistic inquiries that have been posted here. Good job.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Thanks for the kind words. I do plan to post more

According to the Panthers' board, he's still not healthy so I guess for now, it's out of the question. But if he gets healthy by camp, I think he might be available, though I doubt all we'd have to give up is Pyatt. A healthy Van Ryn is a pretty solid player.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 06-21-2008 at 11:13 PM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:58 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I do plan to most more

According to the Panthers' board, he's still not healthy so I guess for now, it's out of the question. But if he gets healthy by camp, I think he might be available, though I doubt all we'd have to give up is Pyatt. A healthy Van Ryn is a pretty solid player.
Maybe a late pick would be added, but I don't see the value as too far off.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't hate the idea of acquiring Van Ryn, but I don't love it either. I'm hoping that we're able to sign a UFA or swing a deal for someone who would be a clear upgrade on our blue line.

Good proposal though... JOrts, taking notes?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
the injury concerns...concern me, lol. other than that i like it, its very plausible. definately one of the better ideas i have seen on these boards

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:05 AM
sickboy35

not a bad idea but his injury status concerns me. i think the rangers should go balls to the wall on orprik, he fills a big time need on this team and you take him away from the pens so its a win-win imo.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote