HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellis 2 years 3.5 million....Garon's worth???

Old
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Little Fury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Fair enough. I think they should propose something with his agent to get the ball rolling, but the last thing we want to do is allow Garon to get away, considering how JDD is not ready to start (and may not ever be a #1), and getting a goalie through UFA will undoubtedly be an overpayment situation.
Yeah. Ideally they extend Garon long term for significantly less than $3M and we ride a bargain to the Cup in 2010...sigh.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Stoneman89

Whoa.....pull the reins in here boys and slow down a bit....before KLowe jumps all over this, I think he'll wait at least a few months just to be sure Garon can handle a starters role, and that last season wasn't a fluke. I like Garon and what he's done, but I need to see a bit more before I open the vault.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:01 AM
oilsmack99

4 years. 4 million per year. 4 million cap hit. 16 million total.

If you believe he is a number one goalie with a top twenty ranking, with potential to move up into the top ten, you grab this deal. If you don't, then fine. I have picked my number one, his name is Mathieu Garon, and I prefer him to Kipper, after watching last year, and hell, every year since Calgary was in the Final. That may make me crazy, but I have to be honest, I would only place Boohooongo, Turco, Nabokov, Price, and a couple others ahead of Garon. I was happy when we got Garon, I was happy when he took over the number one spot, and I would need one of the top eight goalies to switch (and remember they make serious 5-7 million dollars so you give a little to get a little).

I could understand Montreal trading him early, but LA is stupid, hell, they took Cloutier, how smart could they be? He has always played second fiddle or been on crap teams, put him on Dallas or San Jose and see what would happen. The Oilers where crap in most of his loses last year, and to be honest, they didn't look all that great in most of his wins. I guess you look at the numbers, the strength of the teams he has been on, and then just go with your gut. If he wants to take 3.5 per to assure himself the number one job, then great, but I don't begrudge him up to 4 million. The cap is going to 57 million this year anyway. Who the hell knows what it will be in a couple years. Is Penner that much better than Garon, no, and I like Penner. Garon should make about as much as Penner and Hemsky and Gilbert, he got us a whole wack of points last year, almost single handed.

oilsmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Tekneek

I saw Ellis in the ECHL about 5 seasons ago or something like that. I had a feeling he would one day play well in the NHL, if he got a good chance.

Having said that, banking on him to be a consistent performer is a gamble. Letting his contract set the market is a mistake, as well.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote