HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver selects Cody Hodgson

Old
06-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Dr. Nucksfan

vCash: 500
The thing about Wilson that I'd worry about if my team drafted HIM is that he could easily peak as a big bruising Scatchard type two way centre. Hodgson might physically need a bit longer to develop but his hockey sense is superior. (Also: Is it unfair to compare the OHL -- a super league this past season -- to the American college game? Maybe not. Wilson had what? 12-13 goals and Hodgson had 40.)

As for Beach, there are at least two things that can go wrong with him: i) concussions and ii) his character. (Think about Patrick Stefan. A supposedly great talent but concussions hurt him.) Those two i) and ii) are bad enough on their own. Together they would make me very suspicious. (The sports hernia thing is insignificant, in comparison.)

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:58 AM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
I can't remember the last time I was this thrilled over a Canucks draft pick. I still can't believe he fell to us at #10... I was sure the Islanders were going to snatch him up.

As much as I believe he can step right into the NHL next season and man our #2 center spot, I'll much rather see him play another year with Brampton. He'll look great with Raymond and possibly Grabner in the future, but for now, lets sit on our recliners with a rum and coke in a state of content.

Hodgson is the first OHL player we've selected since 2003. Brandon Nolan was our guy back then. In the 4th round. Yeesh...

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Tripwyre

A dream come true (actually. I dreamed the draft and the Canucks took him). I was hoping for Beach personally, just because of his size. We need a physical presence up front and he could provide that somewhere down the line. I'm happy with the pick though, and the more I hear about Cody, the more I like him. Should be a keeper, and I'm glad to have him.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:10 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Out of all the question marks a player has, skating is definitely the least problematic. Its something that can be taught. Hockey sense and leadership qualities (where Hodgson excels) cant be taught.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:34 AM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
I'm not worried about his skating... the Sedins looked like they were wearing Broomball shoes when they first came to the NHL and look how much their skating has improved.
Do we really wanna wait as long for Hodgson to break out as we did wait for the Sedins?

That said.. I think his skating looks weird. Does he have short legs?
Acceleration is not great. And those first 2 - 3 steps are the most important when it comes to in game speed.

However, I do like the pick.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
The thing about Wilson that I'd worry about if my team drafted HIM is that he could easily peak as a big bruising Scatchard type two way centre. Hodgson might physically need a bit longer to develop but his hockey sense is superior. (Also: Is it unfair to compare the OHL -- a super league this past season -- to the American college game? Maybe not. Wilson had what? 12-13 goals and Hodgson had 40.)

As for Beach, there are at least two things that can go wrong with him: i) concussions and ii) his character. (Think about Patrick Stefan. A supposedly great talent but concussions hurt him.) Those two i) and ii) are bad enough on their own. Together they would make me very suspicious. (The sports hernia thing is insignificant, in comparison.)
Yeah, there is a difference. In junior, Hodgson was an 18-year-old kid playing against players 16-20 years old. In college, Wilson was an 18-year-old kid (he's about six months older than Hodgson) playing against kids 18 to 23 years old. That's a world of difference.

I don't think there's going to be a long wait for Hodgson to develop. Not like there will be for Beach. Beach is likely five to seven years away from coming close to his upside. Hodgson, with his character, work ethic and hockey sense, will likely reach his upside faster than the other prospects, but that's okay. We need help.

Based on what I've seen and heard about Hodgson, the things we're saying about him now are the things people said about Mike Richards five years ago. A high-character, hard-working leader who has outstanding hockey sense and smarts, a good skill level and a good defensive game. The only weakness is skating. Hodgson doesn't have Richards physical dimension, but the other elements are there.

Skating concerns should be noted, but it's manageable. You can work on and improve his skating. He'll never be a great skater, but you can improve skating, and a player with his hockey sense and passion can use that to overcome any skating problems.

I think Hodgson is best-served in junior, unless he's going to get the second line centre role. And I don't think he's ready for it. He's not going to supplant Henrik for the No. 1 centre role, and he's not going to supplant Kesler for No. 3 centre duties. I'm a big believer that the most important thing for a player's development is playing. Hodgson won't develop if he's on our fourth line. Let him be a star next year in the OHL, and play for Canada at the WJC. And if he's not going to be getting ice time in 2009-10, then send him back to junior that year, too.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:39 AM
bfire

That;s awesome you guys got him at 10.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:52 AM
nuck4life*

in all honesty, i had no idea who this guy was.

everyone was hyping up about how boedker was (crazy fast, super skilled, snipa), boychuk (small but as skilled as stamkos), wilson (next superman) blah blah blah

and one more thing, i misunderstood him from tsn's midterm rankings, it said hodgson played alongside stamkos, so i immediately thought that his totals were inflated. when, he was actually on a seperate team. my bad.....

but now that i know so much more about him, i'm stoked as to why he was ranked so high, and happy that gillis didn't shock us.

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:57 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMunchkin View Post
Do we really wanna wait as long for Hodgson to break out as we did wait for the Sedins?

That said.. I think his skating looks weird. Does he have short legs?
Acceleration is not great. And those first 2 - 3 steps are the most important when it comes to in game speed.

However, I do like the pick.
I think it's silly to pick out a detail like skating.

Over the past few years, every one of our draft picks has been questioned for their ability to play the game (except Schneider). We finally have a guy who has oodles of hockey sense. I'm really not complaining, especially since we got him at 10th.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:08 AM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
I think it's silly to pick out a detail like skating.

Over the past few years, every one of our draft picks has been questioned for their ability to play the game (except Schneider). We finally have a guy who has oodles of hockey sense. I'm really not complaining, especially since we got him at 10th.
Hmm...

I were talking about why I believe he'll most likely end up as a good 2nd line center than a 1st line pivot.

I'm not complaining in the traditional sense
I'm just explaining why my expectations of Cody are not as high as some of the other posters.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:15 AM
nuck4life*

with our lack of depth at centre, unless we resign morrison and do another quick fix, or trade for someone, i think hodgson will get a long look by our team. physically, i think he's almost ready. 185 is it? say if he bulks up another 5-7lbs of muscle, he'll be 190ish already. and that's not exactly "small." but the problem is if he can jump in immediately. sam gagner, jordan staal. not saying that's the greatest decision for his development, but it may be for our organization. with his type of hockey sense, i think he will be greatly depended on.

for example, look at brad richard's impact on dallas. it was like insane.

again, if he doesn't show signs of being nhl-ready season after a 15-20 game stint, send him back. but i have a feeling that this may have the bourdon effect . say if he comes back next training camp and bums out, then we don't know what to do with him. i just don't want a great prospect lose his chance on the big club.

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:18 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
yes?

I base my judgment on hockey sense, and from what I've seen, Hodgson is much better. You can have a ripped as hell Rod Brind'Amour who is in great physical shape and can be ppg when he's 37, or you can have Joe Sakic who puts up 100 points when he's 38. Sakic isn't the fastest skater, nor is he the most conditioned athlete. But he's the smartest one out there.
Your nuts. wilson has wicked hockey sense as well. the only thing hodgson has over him is skill with the puck. that being said, after wilson, hodgson was my second pick so I'm glad we got him.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:29 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Well... thank the Islanders for going a little berserk as usual

They traded down twice... passing on Schenn, then passing on Filatov

It looked like their target at 9th was Hodgson... but they went lower and took Bailey... who was rated around 12th.

This erratic hopping around by the Isles and they liking Bailey allowed Hodgson to fall in the Canucks lap

If the Islanders would of picked Hodgson, the Nucks would of took Beach at 10th

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:32 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Your nuts. wilson has wicked hockey sense as well. the only thing hodgson has over him is skill with the puck. that being said, after wilson, hodgson was my second pick so I'm glad we got him.
I'm...nuts for thinking that Hodgson has more hockey sense than Wilson.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:35 AM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
I'm...nuts for thinking that Hodgson has more hockey sense than Wilson.
Well.. you did say "much better."

I havn't seen enough of both to compare.. but I understand Wilson is great as far as 2-way play goes.

That what I understand as good hockey sense.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:44 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler Kills Kommies View Post
To be honest i am sick of other team picking players that could make an impact right after they were drafted and i still havent see a single canucks players able to do that. and its almost ten years and counting
I think the important issue is that often it's a weak roster that allows players to break in prematurely. Ideally, there isn't a roster spot for him unless he's absolutely incredible in camp.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:17 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMunchkin View Post
Well.. you did say "much better."

I havn't seen enough of both to compare.. but I understand Wilson is great as far as 2-way play goes.

That what I understand as good hockey sense.
Yeah, so I think that Hodgson has much better hockey sense than Wilson. I'm nuts.

Hockey sense isn't about two-way play. Hockey sense is that X factor. It's the hockey instincts, knowledge of the game, where your team mates are, where you should be, etc.

I also think that two-way play is pretty overrated. Scouts call a player two-way because his offensive ability isn't good enough so they attribute it to him being a two-way player. We see the same thing in Kesler. You can teach defense to Byron Ritchie. You can't teach offense to Byron Ritchie.

Old
06-21-2008, 04:23 AM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Yeah, so I think that Hodgson has much better hockey sense than Wilson. I'm nuts.

Hockey sense isn't about two-way play. Hockey sense is that X factor. It's the hockey instincts, knowledge of the game, where your team mates are, where you should be, etc.

I also think that two-way play is pretty overrated. Scouts call a player two-way because his offensive ability isn't good enough so they attribute it to him being a two-way player. We see the same thing in Kesler. You can teach defense to Byron Ritchie. You can't teach offense to Byron Ritchie.
Well.. we are way apart in our opinnions of what hockey sense and 2way play constitues of...
No point in debating any of it furter.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:53 AM
orcatown

Hodgson was absolutely the obvious choice. At every major opportunity he has illustrated that he is a quality player. Guy showed a lot more game than Beach showed this year. Whether long term he is better than Beach is an open question. But, right now, you have to take Hodgson.

Far as Beach goes - the guy has difficult personality. Not that he is stupid but he just rubs people the wrong way. There is a lot of arrogance and a air of selfishness about him. Lots of good athletes are hard to handle and I think this applies to Beach. He may be a very good player and end up being a big enough talent to overcome these short comings. However, the guy, according to people I have talked to who had some experience with him, is very abrasive and bit of knucklehead. Some incidents this year also indicated his team mates very not very high on him.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Tim Calhoun
Jim Benning Fan

vCash: 50
Anyone hear his interview? He mentioned that he'll be looking in playing with guys like Naslund, the Sedin twins, and Pyatt! That made me laugh a bit.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:59 AM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Anyone hear his interview? He mentioned that he'll be looking in playing with guys like Naslund, the Sedin twins, and Pyatt! That made me laugh a bit.
probably doesn't know much about the Canucks

when asked what the first names of the Sedins were. He knew Henrik but took a long time before figuring out daniel

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Gotta say, I love getting a guy like Hodgson with his leadership, character and all around game. For an organization that just lost the face of the franchise to retirement, it'd be nice if Hodgson could bring some of that to the team. I didn't really think he'd be available when we picked!

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:05 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I'm just watching sportsnet pacific this morning and they start off talking about the draft:

"The first 9 picks went according to plan, and then the canucks stepped up and went in a different direction"?????

how is picking Hodgson with the 10th pick going in a different direction?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I'm just watching sportsnet pacific this morning and they start off talking about the draft:

"The first 9 picks went according to plan, and then the canucks stepped up and went in a different direction"?????

how is picking Hodgson with the 10th pick going in a different direction?
Hodgson is a consensus top ten pick by everyone. The only guy in the top ten who wasn't was Josh Bailey.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

Yea, everything I read had Hodgson ranked ahead of Beach. Beach wsa almost always ranked number 10.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote