HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, pick #20 - Rangers select D Michael Del Zotto (Oshawa - OHL)

Old
06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
You basically proved my point. We don't have a pressing need for a d-man right now. Well, not one that any rookie can fill. We need wingers who can score starting next season. We can hold off for a few years on any d-men.
The point is that there are likely not any wingers available that will b ready next season. Therefore, since the player we are drafting will not be addressing any short term needs, you take BPA.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Also, Eberle is a 2nd rounder. Maybe we can trade up and get him. I agree, he could pan out to be a useful goal scorer for us, though he is a bit undersized.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:17 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
You don't draft for need, it's simple. See Jessiman.
I never viewed the Jessiman pick as drafting for need.

I personally believe that this group felt he was the BPA at that time and screwed the pooch.

Personally then as well as now, the need was for talent in the system and that's what they felt was talent.

I really don't think that the difference between a kid like Eberle and Del Zotto was so great that taking the forward would have equated to a major mistake.

All things being equal between the two players (and I believe they were) you draft for need and forward was the need.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guys/Gals, you do NOT draft based on NEED.

Need in the system, sure, NOT needs in the NHL. NHL rosters change drastically from year to year.

You draft based on skill. And the Rangers showed that here.

Del Zotto was arguably the best player available, and they took him. They also strengthened their depth in defense in the system.

Del Zotto is a dynamic player.

Very good pick.

Uggh.... and as i type this the Devils got my guy, Tedenby... dammit dammit dammit.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Levitate

Eberle is gone. Edmonton picked him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:21 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
You basically proved my point. We don't have a pressing need for a d-man right now. Well, not one that any rookie can fill. We need wingers who can score starting next season. We can hold off for a few years on any d-men.
I don't think I proved anything.

The difference between the two players is minimal, I would bet dollars to donuts that Eberle plays and makes more of an impact than a defensive deficient defenceman.

We don't have a pressing need in our system or organization for an offensive defenceman, what we do have is a pressing need for some top end forward talent and that's been negelcted yet again.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:22 PM
DarthSather99

I have chosen to rely on the Rangers scouts to make the best choice. Del Zottoa was the BPA at that point but I was hoping for BFA Best forward available.

I am satisfied with Del Zotto but the second pick now looms large for me.....get me my forward ....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Meh, I was really excited when I Tedenby was available. But I figured the Rangers would manage to **** it up, lol.

That being said, it's nice to have a potential 1-2 punch of offensive Dmen, and hopefully we can still get that top-6 winger in the 2nd or 3rd round w/ Petrov.
The last thing we needed was another undersized winger.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

We don't have a pressing need in our system or organization for an offensive defenceman
Are you out of your mind? Puck-movers on the blueline is EXACTLY what this team needs. Our defensemen not being good enough to move the puck out of the defensive zone, either via outlet passes or skating it up themselves, is the reason we lost to Pittsburgh. We need more guys like Del Zotto, guys who can move the puck and move it well. Also, he's bound to help our PP, and he's a dynamic talent if he can put it all together.

I'm not completely happy with the pick, but he was the BPA and he certainly fills a need within the Rangers' system.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:32 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Eberle is gone. Edmonton picked him
Yah, didn't even notice. I think that pick is a reach. A big one.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:33 PM
LIRoyals7794

Why did Glen Sather draft a small defenseman? I can't stand Sather!!!

If you dont have a pick the trade for a later round picks. We need a big foward. If we were to get the younger Staal the why not get a middle round draft pick and a third or fourth rounder.

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:35 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post

If you dont have a pick the trade for a later round picks. We need a big foward. If we were to get the younger Staal the why not get a middle round draft pick and a third or fourth rounder.
Small? Hes 6' 200Lbs....he scored more points last season than Doughty, Bogosian or Pietrangelo and was only 7 behind a bigger more mature Bobby Sangunetti.

Im sorry guys but this is a ****in great pick.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Fletch

Considering...

draft picks very often don't play in the first season, you don't pick by need but by BPA. Sure the Rangers didn't need another puck-moving defenseman and perhaps a winger was what they need. And perhaps the Rangers end up moving one of their defenseman to get that winger. The Rangers got a guy ranked 15th in the 20th spot - perhaps he turns out to be better than Sanguinetti and Sangs gets traded. Or perhaps they move Sauer. There's so man scenarios to take place but the objective is to build a stockpile of the highest quality assets as possible and move those assets around to get what you need in the future.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post

Small?

6'0" 211 lbs. Pretty big if you ask me, especially for an 18 year old, dynamic defenseman.

Del Zotto was arguably the best player available.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
You guys will also be surprised by Del Zotto's physical game.

He likes to throw some big hits.

His defensive game needs work, but he does headhunt at times out there.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Small? Hes 6' 200Lbs....he scored more points last season than Doughty, Bogosian or Pietrangelo and was only 7 behind a bigger more mature Bobby Sangunetti.

Im sorry guys but this is a ****in great pick.
Agreed.

Awesome pick, IMO.

I really liked Tedenby, but with Del Zotto still on the board you HAVE to take him.

Staal
Sanguinetti
Del Zotto
Girardi
Tyutin

Damn dynamic defensive group if you ask me.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
You guys will also be surprised by Del Zotto's physical game.

He likes to throw some big hits.

His defensive game needs work, but he does headhunt at times out there.
Yeah, his grit is underrated.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:43 PM
LIRoyals7794

According to THN he was 5'11", my bad. I didn't see that he was 6"0" on the NY Rangers website.

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:47 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Are you out of your mind? Puck-movers on the blueline is EXACTLY what this team needs. Our defensemen not being good enough to move the puck out of the defensive zone, either via outlet passes or skating it up themselves, is the reason we lost to Pittsburgh. We need more guys like Del Zotto, guys who can move the puck and move it well. Also, he's bound to help our PP, and he's a dynamic talent if he can put it all together.

I'm not completely happy with the pick, but he was the BPA and he certainly fills a need within the Rangers' system.
agree/disagree.

The Rangers inability to score goals was their downfall against the Pens.

Could a Puck moving defenceman helped that out? I think we could have used one, but we owned that series at even strength and the ONLY reason we didn't get the chance to lose the Wings was because we could not score goals.

As for the PP woes, once we get back to the shooting from the points THAT will help the PP more than any individual defenceman. Working from the half boards EVERY time in the zone is a bit telling after game No. 20 or game 30 or game 70.

He's a dynamic offensive talent, but a defensive sive. Not sure how much he's actually going to help.

Truth be told I really do hope I'm wrong and he develops into a 60+ point stud defenceman that can more than hold his own defensively.

both Gonchar and Boyle have made nice careers for themselves that way.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:47 PM
h0ckeyman

Yeah i was really gunning for Tedenby also but I'm not the least bit disappointed. Our D is gonna be serious in a few years. I fully expected both Tedenby and Del Zotto to be gone by 20.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
albynomonk

Del Zotto is my boy! I've been following him for the past two years, I never in a million years thought we'd have a shot at him! This kid is going to be a player, you can count on that.

albynomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
According to THN he was 5'11", my bad. I didn't see that he was 6"0" on the NY Rangers website.

Ah, THN, i love them, but they are off on a lot of things.

I love them because they provide a nice overall news reporting on the hockey world.

But they tend to get facts wrong, and sometimes say things off base.

It is understandable in the faced paced business of printing.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by albynomonk View Post
Del Zotto is my boy! I've been following him for the past two years, I never in a million years thought we'd have a shot at him! This kid is going to be a player, you can count on that.
please, elaborate.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by albynomonk View Post
I'm counting!

I love this pick. I had him as my second overall pick for the first round for the Rangers.

Tedenby was my guy, but honestly that was because i didn't think Del Zotto would be there at #20.

Gotta love this pick.

Forget his underrated grit, and his size as an 18 year old, but his sheer skill is great. He's like a big winger... playing defense.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I'm counting!

I love this pick. I had him as my second overall pick for the first round for the Rangers.

Tedenby was my guy, but honestly that was because i didn't think Del Zotto would be there at #20.

Gotta love this pick.

Forget his underrated grit, and his size as an 18 year old, but his sheer skill is great. He's like a big winger... playing defense.
A young Shannahan playing defence? now I'm nervous...seriously