HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Rumors

Old
06-24-2008, 05:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Free Agency Rumors

figured we could use this thread to talk about general FA talk.

Klein, Koistinen, Grant(new guy), Peverley were all qualified, and according to the Tennessean, the Preds are not qualifying Bochenski, Vigilante, or Grumet-Morris.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Why the hell did we not qualify Vigilante???

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Why the hell did we not qualify Vigilante???
I didn't see anything that made me feel like we should have. He was a grinder, at best, even at the AHL level. Guys like that are a dime a dozen.

Old
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I didn't see anything that made me feel like we should have. He was a grinder, at best, even at the AHL level. Guys like that are a dime a dozen.
And yet we qualified Ellison and Peverley...

Vigilante showed tangible improvement this year, partly because he stayed healthy. I thought he was a great depth guy and unless he was just a total buttmunch I would see no reason not to hang on to him.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-24-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old
06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We need a winger. We have to move a defenseman to do it. We have two options here:

1) Trade Zidlicky for a winger
2) Trade one of Klein/Koistenen and sign a guy like Brunette to fill the wing position....

06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We need a winger. We have to move a defenseman to do it. We have two options here:

1) Trade Zidlicky for a winger
2) Trade one of Klein/Koistenen and sign a guy like Brunette to fill the wing position....
Vigilante was a winger.

Old
06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Vigilante was a winger.
Okay CrazyCrawfish.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Okay CrazyCrawfish.
No, if I was the Crawfish I would be telling you about how Vigilante will sign with Detroit and play all six positions at once under a coach that is lightyears ahead of that macaroon of a coach we have, all the while complaining about how much people love sweet little Sutsey, Hammy, Zidsey, Kleiney, and Koistineney, even though there really isn't all that much so-called hero worship going on. And then when you tried to tell me that there is no hero worship going on, I would twist your words to make it sound like you actually are worshipping all the smurfs and then talk about how amazing Henry and Yonkman are and how stupid Trotz and Poile are for never letting them play in the NHL and how they could go somewhere else and be top pairing defensemen.

Old
06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Wellwood (waivers) and Tucker (buyout) have both been forcibly removed from Leaf nation. I think both bear looking at. Wellwood could be a cheap top 6 solution, Tucker (if he has anything left) could be a gritty addition to this team...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:57 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Wellwood has no work ethic and is WAY out of shape.

I'd take Tucker for two years, though. He busts his butt every night and has some degree of hockey skill.

Old
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
nine_inch_fang

Okay back to hockey.

How much more are the Leafs going to kick to the curb? Would they actually be looking to get rid of the kind of player we are looking for and would they be interested in our young D? I would think they would be interested considering they are re-building but would they want to get rid of the forward we need?

Old
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Sign me up for the Darcy Tucker camp. he's one of my favorite pests, and hopefully he could show Tootoo a thing or two about rounding out his game. If we could get him for around 2 mil per year, I'd be happy with that.

Old
06-25-2008, 02:36 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Okay back to hockey.

How much more are the Leafs going to kick to the curb? Would they actually be looking to get rid of the kind of player we are looking for and would they be interested in our young D? I would think they would be interested considering they are re-building but would they want to get rid of the forward we need?
The only two forwards that are any account that TO might move are Antropov and Ponikarovsky. Both could likely be had for just Klein or Klein and a mid-round pick.

Poni is a natrual winger who scored 20 goals the first two years after the lockout and scored 18 in 66 games last year. He's a solid 40-45 point guy but 20 of those are usually goals. It's kinda hard to tell though if Sundin is the one influencing his point totals or if he can do that without Mats as his center. Making $2.24M this year and $2.5M next year.

Antro didn't miss significant time with injury for the first time since 02-03 and played pretty well... but therein lies the problem: he's EXTREMELY injury prone. He's versatile, though (can play both wing and center) and is probably a better player than Ponikarovsky... but he's a high-maintainence player and not someone we'd want, IMO. Makes $2.15M this year and is a UFA next July.

They could think about moving Blake as well, but he's 35 and under contract until 2012 (longest contract on the team).

Old
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
predhead1

Tucker would be a great addition for this team. Not a great player, but he would be an upgrade over Hordichuk - a scrapper who can actually contribute in the points column. He would also be valuable in the playoffs (if we make it).

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
The only two forwards that are any account that TO might move are Antropov and Ponikarovsky. Both could likely be had for just Klein or Klein and a mid-round pick.

Poni is a natrual winger who scored 20 goals the first two years after the lockout and scored 18 in 66 games last year. He's a solid 40-45 point guy but 20 of those are usually goals. It's kinda hard to tell though if Sundin is the one influencing his point totals or if he can do that without Mats as his center. Making $2.24M this year and $2.5M next year.

Antro didn't miss significant time with injury for the first time since 02-03 and played pretty well... but therein lies the problem: he's EXTREMELY injury prone. He's versatile, though (can play both wing and center) and is probably a better player than Ponikarovsky... but he's a high-maintainence player and not someone we'd want, IMO. Makes $2.15M this year and is a UFA next July.

They could think about moving Blake as well, but he's 35 and under contract until 2012 (longest contract on the team).

Antropov would demand more than Klein in return, especially coming off a great season. Blake is one of the worst contracts in the league, at this point.

Old
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
braindead

Any word on Gelinas? I'd assume that he is done except the Preds seemed to love him and he was in great shape. Also Hlavac had a solid year-end for us but I assume he isn't in the plans... unless there is no other free agent/trade deal for a top 6 forward (or a forward to play in our top 6 may be a better way to describe it).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Any word on Gelinas? I'd assume that he is done except the Preds seemed to love him and he was in great shape. Also Hlavac had a solid year-end for us but I assume he isn't in the plans... unless there is no other free agent/trade deal for a top 6 forward (or a forward to play in our top 6 may be a better way to describe it).
that seems to happen to every team he gets traded to ... I wonder why?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd rather pass on both.

What does everyone think of taking a low-risk shot at Bertuzzi, who is on waivers?

It's just a one year deal...

Old
06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
braindead

I'd rather not be the next in the long line of teams that thought Bertuzzi could help us be better...Panthers, Ducks and Wings being the most recent examples that learned the hard way. Make Trotz kiss up to Brunette before that.

I agree on Gelinas and Hlavac btw... I'd rather see Wilson show up or try Horqvist on the 2nd line or sign someone... or ... something...

Old
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
that seems to happen to every team he gets traded to ... I wonder why?
Maybe his style of play leads to him not sustaining as many bumps and bruises over a season, so he's relatively stronger at the end. I don't know much about him but he looked like he brought his game most nights. I didn't see just a "contract player".

Without adding someone, someone good, at forward, I can't see the team being any stronger. Bonk is 32 and at his best was ok. Can he repeat?

Dumont is 30, and seemed to fall off badly the last third of the season and playoffs. Can he have another good year? I hate to count on it as first line stuff, but he did play on a line that clicked for a while.

Arnott, you know what you get, solid second line center play. Early in the year he looked first line but then he or his line didn't produce for a long time when we needed them. So second liner who plays the first.

Legwand, you know what you get, only a fair 2nd/3rd line scorer, but a good two-way center. If he has one more good linemate he may have his best year in scoring.

Tootoo, Fiddler, ok in spot play, not much upside.

Man, it'll suck if we don't add someone with impact. Hornqvist? I don't know him. Maybe he's enough but I sure hope for more.

If both Hornqvist and Wilson make the club, I'm not worried about free agents. The club would be better. If neither, or only Hornqvist, then they should have room to add somebody.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
braindead

Well, you only cover 1/3 of the equation. I tend to agree with you on that part but do you think the D will be no better than last year-- I would think Weber and Suter are continuing to improve at a minimum. Our 6th D should be better and I think Hamhuis may still be improving.

As to goaltending, we would have had a higher seed with halfway decent and consistent goaltending. It may not improve next year but we better hope ot does if we want to have a chance of making it back to the PO's. That is the great unknown on this team IMO.

Old
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah. That's true. I do expect the defense to be better, both in their own end and at scoring.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Well, you only cover 1/3 of the equation. I tend to agree with you on that part but do you think the D will be no better than last year-- I would think Weber and Suter are continuing to improve at a minimum. Our 6th D should be better and I think Hamhuis may still be improving.

As to goaltending, we would have had a higher seed with halfway decent and consistent goaltending. It may not improve next year but we better hope ot does if we want to have a chance of making it back to the PO's. That is the great unknown on this team IMO.
One thing that has to be remembered about Hamhuis is that until he two(or three?) years ago he was never asked to play that stay at home style. Because of that I think we are still watching him develop.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
predhead1

Quote:
One thing that has to be remembered about Hamhuis is that until he two(or three?) years ago he was never asked to play that stay at home style. Because of that I think we are still watching him develop.
He's still a relatively young guy. Remember that the upcoming season will only be his 5th NHL season and he's just moving into that age/experience level where defensemen start to flourish. I expect to see Hamhuis become the clear leader of the defense this year.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
DManPreds11

Hammer is hands down our best D-man, had a rough spell this season but still is our most consistant D.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote