HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

For those wanting to know about Filatov

Old
06-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
well considering, Pietrangelo AND Schenn were taken, we made the best pick, and just look at our best fowards under 25.

Nash, Brassard, Zherdev, Voracek, and Filatov.

All players are top 7 picks.
Not to mention guys like Mayorov - he was ranked as high as the 5th best European skater last year, but fell to the 4th round. Perfect mix of toughness coming up with Boll, Legein, Sestito, even Chimera for the next couple years. For once, there finally seems to be an end in sight.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Not to mention guys like Mayorov - he was ranked as high as the 5th best European skater last year, but fell to the 4th round. Perfect mix of toughness coming up with Boll, Legein, Sestito, even Chimera for the next couple years. For once, there finally seems to be an end in sight.
Nice avi btw

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:26 PM
RDriesenUD

gushing about Filatov on the post draft show on nhl.com.

Howson said Nikita was is in their top 3.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
RDriesenUD

"The old Soviet system is gone, but their hockey system is far from dead," says Colin Wilson, the second-rated American prospect. "Filatov is a great player and I can't say anything bad about him. I played against him for the last two years. He is energetic on the ice and is exactly like Alexander Ovechkin, maybe even a little more energetic. They are producing a lot of great players in Russia right now. You can't deny that."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=366541

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
For those who want to know a bit more, check out this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=504255

Filatov has been blogging and a board member has been translating. Can't wait to see the next one.
I guess I'll be translating on your board now... I am upset.. as some of you know... BUT - it is not the fans fault... I love Hitch - but... Nik would be better off in another system... On the other hand - he is happy with CBJ! So... here is what you get:

Most likely will not be friends with Z
Hard-work
Back-checking
Sick speed
Good character
GOALS
ASSISTS
Moves
Great smile
Ability to make Dmen picked before him look stupid
STAR
Will be better than Stamkos

BTW - Do I get some honorary Flyer/Columbus Avatar?

...and yes - start the sticky - and start posting questions to him! He will answer the best of them - MODS - run a poll or smth

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
.01. not ready physically and no room for him.
I will buy u a beer if he does not!

Old
06-20-2008, 10:39 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
I guess I'll be translating on your board now... I am upset.. as some of you know... BUT - it is not the fans fault... I love Hitch - but... Nik would be better off in another system... On the other hand - he is happy with CBJ! So... here is what you get:

Hard-work
Back-checking
Sick speed
Good character
GOALS
ASSISTS
Moves
Great smile
STAR

...and yes - start the sticky - and start posting questions to him! He will answer the best of them - MODS - run a poll or smth
I am sooooooo hoping this turns out to be true!!!

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I just googled Nikita Filatov and this is hilarious:

Quote:
Five reasons why you don't want to draft Nikita Filatov

1. Body by Rold Gold. Filatov is listed at 171 pounds in much the same way Andre The Giant was listed at 7-foot-5: It's all part of selling the product. The fact is that Filatov looks like an elementary school photo of Panic At the Disco's lead singer. He's young enough where one could expect his body will look significantly different three years from now; but right now a lot of Filatov's immediate potential is being pinned on the success of Pee-Wee-sized Patrick Kane's Calder Trophy campaign. Undersized players either become stars like Patrick Kane, or they get knocked around this League like a confused pinball. So size is a concern for Filatov ... even if he clearly has more mad hops than we do. Dang, judging from the photo, he can definitely touch backboard. Maybe rim.

2. He Speaks Very Good English.
Thanks schoolteacher mom. Thanks for ruining all of our good fun by having Nikita learn to speak and understand English. Thanks for depriving us of goofy Ovechkin-like malapropisms and Datsyuk-esque broken English comedy. We like our Russian stars to be crippled by the language barrier. Why else would you interview them?

3. He's Not a Defenseman.
TSN has Filatov listed at No. 5 in its pre-draft rankings, with defensemen Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian and Alex Pietrangelo all listed ahead of him. You'd have to go back to 2002 to find a draft so deep in D-men where three were taken in the top five: Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen and Ryan Whitney. At least two of those guys actually still play defense. This could be one of those situations where three teams look back fondly at having drafted foundational players on the blueline, while one team sneers at the missed opportunity while it waits for Alex Semin, Jr. to blossom.

4. He's Also Not a Defender.
Scout 1 on Russianprospects.com doesn't even mention a defensive game. Scout 2: "Defensively tries to help, but is marginal in his own zone, preferring to break out into an offensive rush." Our friend Chris Botta on NYI Point Blank offers a third scout take: "Right now, he couldn't check anyone in the NHL, but his desire to learn will result in Filatov becoming an adequate player in his own end." Alexander Ovechkin worked his ass off to be better than adequate; will Filatov settle for "occasional liability?"

(Of course, does any of that matter when he can do this?)

5. The Uncomfortable Amanda Bynes Thing.
Finally, Battle of California's brilliant Rudy Kelly made this discovery on Monday, and it continues to haunt us. Will an unsuspecting team draft Filatov only to later discover it's actually Amanda Bynes from "She's the Man?" And will he/she ever give the world a sequel to "What a Girl Wants?" Creepy.
My fav is #2

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,88665

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
errey21

Quote:

Hard-work
Back-checking
Sick speed
Good character
GOALS
ASSISTS
Moves
Great smile
STAR

Feeddapuck

Saw some of your posts on the main boards as I was looking for info on Filatov. Thanks for coming to our board, you seem to know alot about Filatov's game.

This is who I was hoping we would get instead of Schenn. The more I read, the more excited I am about it too.

There seems to be some confusion on the main boards what CSKA league he played in 2 or 3. And I dont know alot about the CSKA????? Has he been playing with kids his age and skill level or men with a higher skill level??? I ask because his numbers look good, especially if playing with a higher age group.

Also, how would you compare his game to Zherdevs?

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
well considering, Pietrangelo AND Schenn were taken, we made the best pick, and just look at our best fowards under 25.

Nash, Brassard, Zherdev, Voracek, and Filatov.

All players are top 7 picks.
We more than anyone know the potential for those names.

I watched that clip of Filatov and I saw passing as much has shooting. The problem is, there were no views of his defense. In the NHL all forwards must be two way guys these days, that will restrict him in making the team this year.

That said, I like this kids brain, he may come out hitting everything in sight in training camp, who knows? The kid reads the media (etc.) and knows what he needs to do to be a complete NHL player (imo). But his body is still growing so he has limits, at his young age.

We will see, but I like what I see so far.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF View Post
I am sooooooo hoping this turns out to be true!!!

I have a good reason to believe that he will be much better - take a look at his WJC stats against Stamkos... either way - u are lucky guys...

Old
06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Excelent . Brassard, Voráček, Brulé, Filatov, Majorov, Legein, Fritsche + Nash and Žerdev. Still one good defensman and will be.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:52 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
Feeddapuck

Saw some of your posts on the main boards as I was looking for info on Filatov. Thanks for coming to our board, you seem to know alot about Filatov's game.

This is who I was hoping we would get instead of Schenn. The more I read, the more excited I am about it too.

There seems to be some confusion on the main boards what CSKA league he played in 2 or 3. And I dont know alot about the CSKA????? Has he been playing with kids his age and skill level or men with a higher skill level??? I ask because his numbers look good, especially if playing with a higher age group.

Also, how would you compare his game to Zherdevs?
CSKA 2 - is the farm team of the main club... He USUALLY played against kids his age or 1-2 years older, but in the playoffs other teams would send down a couple of players that were much older (CSKA 2 lost to Khimik this year which sent down 7 regulars plus a goalie)

HE DOES NOT COMPARE TO Z!!!!! Nik is fast, skillful AND hardworking... Those that say that he is only 172 are forgetting that Stamkos is the same weight and that today is not 2003 - it is a new league! You are getting a franchise leader... I would compare him to Shilling - he will speak his mind - after he delivers during the game!

Old
06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Could this mean Zher is staying? ...the ol' "Russian buddy" pick?
Hejda played in Russia for many, many years prior to coming to North America a couple of years ago. While Filatov speaks good english, I suspect Hejda will be very helpful in the transition to the smaller ice surface...

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post

There seems to be some confusion on the main boards what CSKA league he played in 2 or 3. And I dont know alot about the CSKA????? Has he been playing with kids his age and skill level or men with a higher skill level???
He was one of the youngest players in his league & on the International teams - he kicked butt.... However, Russia brings players up slowly - he got almost no ice time during the 5 games in the top league...

Read this & rejoice.......

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...?player_id=640

Within a year (barring injury), you should have both Voracek & Filatov taking care of your scoring needs.......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

feeddapuck

Do you think he is going to be willing to play the Hitch style?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Excelent .
Glad you agree, and your not even Russian.... But your home is alot closer to Russia than mine so you may have an advantage.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:56 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
I just googled Nikita Filatov and this is hilarious:

My fav is #2

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,88665
Sux to be an Isles fan today - doesn't it? Actually is there a good day to be an Isles fan?

Old
06-20-2008, 10:59 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
feeddapuck

Do you think he is going to be willing to play the Hitch style?
I think it will be a struggle - but knowing Hitch - he will pair him up with others who will let him create... Plus - Nik is very good defensively... Led EVERYBODY (out of draftees) in U20 WJC in plus/minus

Old
06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Casework

Quote:
CSKA 2 - is the farm team of the main club... He USUALLY played against kids his age or 1-2 years older, but in the playoffs other teams would send down a couple of players that were much older (CSKA 2 lost to Khimik this year which sent down 7 regulars plus a goalie)

HE DOES NOT COMPARE TO Z!!!!! Nik is fast, skillful AND hardworking... Those that say that he is only 172 are forgetting that Stamkos is the same weight and that today is not 2003 - it is a new league! You are getting a franchise leader... I would compare him to Shilling - he will speak his mind - after he delivers during the game!
Wow, awesome posts. Please stick around.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

The Pipeline Show Clips - June 17th 2008

* 2008 Prospects Feature: Nikita Filatov - 13:26 mins

From his home in Moscow, the top Russian prospect makes his first ever North American radio appearance.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...tov_June17.mp3

Old
06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Glad you agree, and your not even Russian.... But your home is alot closer to Russia than mine so you may have an advantage.
My husband is Russian and I am big Russian repre`s fan (after Slovak repre ).

I think if Nikitia wouldn`t be Russian, he`s number one.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Two thirds though the radio interview is my favorite quote...

Stamkos - I don't think I am worse than him......

Old
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

Nikita was very happy to do that interview... and now - he is definitely not worse than Stamkos... Also - a forward can always show off a Dman much more than he can be shown off... SO - Doughty, Bogo, Pietrangelo, and especially Schenn - let's get ready to twirl!

Old
06-20-2008, 11:31 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

This is the most obvious question I think.

Do you think he is NHL ready?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:31 PM
errey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

Thats a great quote.

Kids got moxy which is great.

It would be wonderful if he is our Kane next year.

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote