HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beach

Old
06-21-2008, 12:45 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He won't make this team out of camp. Unless he comes in and absolutely dominates, he won't make this team out of camp. We've got a plethra of young forwards and not enough spots as is. We've got plenty of decent-good forward prospects. This is our only top-flight homerun potential one.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:48 AM
BrightFutures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Beach plays LW
thank you

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:54 AM
BrightFutures

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Aliu is better suited for the wing, imo.

kontiola may not be able to produce at the NHL level. and if he can't be top 6, then he does not offer much.

the center depth listed is not that great. i'd take line 1 w/toews and line 2 w/beach every day of the week compared to line 2 w/anyone else at C from that list.

bolland could be solid, but abetter third line guy. and sharp made the move to RW pretty well this season i'd say. no reason others can't.

skille and brouwer can play left or right wing imo. chicago has nothing to worry about. plenty of talent.

and for the person that was like "oh boy look at mark bell" last i checked bell was a pretty decent player for chicago when he was there. consistence was off but the team was brutal.

this pick is a steal imo
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Aliu played a little D last year in London and actually played pretty well while still putting up the numbers

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:42 AM
lfchockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFutures View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Aliu played a little D last year in London and actually played pretty well while still putting up the numbers
Absolutely he played D for almost half the season when the Kinghts ran into injuries. He was still able to post almost a PPG from the point in that time too.

Beach should be able to play C or LW too. I'm a firm believer that you take the best talent available and don't try to fill your depth chart through the draft. This pick makes so much sense in both departments.

Let Beach mature another year in the W and get bigger and stronger. I don't see any chance of him making the team this fall which is completely fine.

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:59 AM
salty justice

I like this pick. He seems a lot like Skille but better.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
willfenix

Send a message via AIM to willfenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I like this pick. He seems a lot like Skille but better.

Have you seen Skille play? Every single Icehogs game I went to this year he was totally invisible. In the 6th game of the playoff series with the Wolves, I literally didn't notice he was even playing until the 3rd period when he wouldn't go into the corner to dig a puck out in the defensive zone. In my opinion, Skille is a bust and lacks the presence to be an effective power forward. He refuses to play physical and it has been assessed by many that he hates getting hit. It doesn't matter how big he is because he won't play with his body. With any luck we'll be able to trade him.

As for Beach, I'm excited about the pick and think he was the BPA, and a bit of a steal at that. I don't think the "mental issues" amount to anything more than being a pest on the ice and the target of incestuous, more than biased WHL rivals. Of all the criticism I've heard about him, I haven't heard a legitimate UNBIASED criticism that holds any water. People have a tendency to listen to whatever the media says and instead of forming their own opinion, and take the media's opinion as an inherent truth. He has been wrongly painted out to be a flawed player and the Blackhawks will benefit from this. His concussion "problems" are the result of being sucker-punched by Bruton (had his gloves on and gave him a haymaker out of nowhere). Go look for yourself on Youtube. Also, I'm certain that him being able to play LW factored heavily into his being picked.

willfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Kevin Hopson

I was considering taking Beach in the staff mock draft but he was already taken at #10 (Vancouver). As many have pointed out, he can play LW, has size (which Chicago obviously likes) and was probably the BPA at the #11 slot. I am not as concerned with his health issues as I am his total neglect on the ice at times. It's one thing to play physical and get under your opponent's skin (good) but it's another thing to take cheap shots during the game. Hopefully, he will become more disciplined in his physical style of play (if that makes any sense). The kid is talented so it would unfortunate to see him waste this.

Kevin Hopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:56 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

I have family that lives in Renton so I was able to see Beach a few times over the last 2 years. Here's something I posted on another forum back in March regarding Beach:

I've seen Beach play several times, and while I'm nothing near to sniffing an amateur scout's jock I can offer my humble and meager opinion...

GOOD

Skates well for a big kid. Pretty good shot and offensive instincts when he applies himself. Drives the net hard and ALWAYS finishes his checks. As mentioned I only saw him maybe 5 times or less, but each time it's clear he has skills, but never dominated like I had thought he would. In fact, based soley on the few times I saw him, I'd say its similar to a Colton Gillies in that he has all the tools, but no toolbox.

In contrast I also watched Zach Hamil and Peter Mueller (last year). I thought both players looked good with Mueller looking to be the best player on the ice. Mueller was clearly a step above the competition and his success in the NHL is no suprise to me.

BAD

Takes extremely stupid and ill timed penalties. Looks to play more for himself then for the team. Always, always whacking guys behind the play or giving them an extra push/jab.

VERY selfish player. I remember one play in particular, it wasn't anything big, but after I saw it I remember thinkning to myself, I HOPE TO GOD LA never ends up with this moron.

Everett was down against Seattle and play was in the Everett offensive zone. It was a clear delayed offsides play and Beach while going off for a line change, for whatever reason decided to whack the puck before getting off. Everett gets called for the offsides and the coach was just glaring at him. Beach simply hoped the boards sat down and didn't acknowledge him.

Like him for his physical play, but I actually feel sorry for any team that nabs this idiot. Hopefully it's youthful exhubarance, but guys got some serious issues.

Hope he truly wants to mold himself after Inginla both on AND off the ice.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
lfchockey*

Thanks for your honest response.... I hope for our sakes, you're wrong

Old
06-22-2008, 10:33 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfenix View Post
Have you seen Skille play? Every single Icehogs game I went to this year he was totally invisible. In the 6th game of the playoff series with the Wolves, I literally didn't notice he was even playing until the 3rd period when he wouldn't go into the corner to dig a puck out in the defensive zone. In my opinion, Skille is a bust and lacks the presence to be an effective power forward. He refuses to play physical and it has been assessed by many that he hates getting hit. It doesn't matter how big he is because he won't play with his body. With any luck we'll be able to trade him.

As for Beach, I'm excited about the pick and think he was the BPA, and a bit of a steal at that. I don't think the "mental issues" amount to anything more than being a pest on the ice and the target of incestuous, more than biased WHL rivals. Of all the criticism I've heard about him, I haven't heard a legitimate UNBIASED criticism that holds any water. People have a tendency to listen to whatever the media says and instead of forming their own opinion, and take the media's opinion as an inherent truth. He has been wrongly painted out to be a flawed player and the Blackhawks will benefit from this. His concussion "problems" are the result of being sucker-punched by Bruton (had his gloves on and gave him a haymaker out of nowhere). Go look for yourself on Youtube. Also, I'm certain that him being able to play LW factored heavily into his being picked.
I mean in the sense of what Skille was advertised to be. Their scouting reports make Beach sound like a meaner more skilled Skille.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFutures View Post
thank you
Beach's natural position is center. The guy can hardly skate so the trasition from center to LW plus the trasition between the minors and the pros will be tough as well. Lets not forget the guys pretty much a psycho that has an emotional problem. I wonder if he can handle all that?

I see Beach becoming a Cam Neely whos a loose cannon with out the offensive punch.

I hope I'm proven wrong, I have only seen him play a few times but like I said he cant skate.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:09 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Aliu?
That's who I was thinking of when they made this pick. I really admire Tallon's willingness to go after players that other teams might be a bit loathe to take in the draft like Aliu and Beach.

Reading the scouting reports, Beach sounds a little like Scott Hartnell: solid powerforward, plays with some edge, good skater with offensive instincts who likes to drive to the net, and has a tendency to take some really stupid penalites.

He should be as good as Hartnell at the very least.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:50 AM
lfchockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Beach's natural position is center. The guy can hardly skate so the trasition from center to LW plus the trasition between the minors and the pros will be tough as well. Lets not forget the guys pretty much a psycho that has an emotional problem. I wonder if he can handle all that?

I see Beach becoming a Cam Neely whos a loose cannon with out the offensive punch.

I hope I'm proven wrong, I have only seen him play a few times but like I said he cant skate.
So you're high on him then?

Old
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Hawker14

We're on the upswing, and I think he was drafted for his trade value, so I don't expect to see him in a Blackhawk uniform.

I think we'll see a veteran return for him at the trade deadline in '10 as we try to improve our club around Kane and Toews for the playoff run.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
In my opinion, Skille is a bust and lacks the presence to be an effective power forward.
Honestly, I keep forgetting Skille is even our prospect.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
axecrew

Not in love with this pick at all!!!! For the last umpteen years Tallon's been trying to convince hawks fans that every pick and every fa signing was done due to that players character and maturity etc(Dowd, Barnaby,etc).
Now after all that, he goes out and takes the player with the most character issues in the entire 08 draft with the 11th overall pick. ***!!!!!!
Hello Ty Jones 2.0!!!!!!
Regardless of his off-ice problems....have you all forgotten that he had a sports hernia and 2, count em', 2 concussions last year? Both from trying to fight and getting killed,now he says he wants to come in and "protect" other players by dropping the gloves. YIKES!!!!!

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:20 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
Takes extremely stupid and ill timed penalties. Looks to play more for himself then for the team. Always, always whacking guys behind the play or giving them an extra push/jab.

VERY selfish player. I remember one play in particular, it wasn't anything big, but after I saw it I remember thinkning to myself, I HOPE TO GOD LA never ends up with this moron.

Everett was down against Seattle and play was in the Everett offensive zone. It was a clear delayed offsides play and Beach while going off for a line change, for whatever reason decided to whack the puck before getting off. Everett gets called for the offsides and the coach was just glaring at him. Beach simply hoped the boards sat down and didn't acknowledge him.

Like him for his physical play, but I actually feel sorry for any team that nabs this idiot. Hopefully it's youthful exhubarance, but guys got some serious issues.[/I]

Hope he truly wants to mold himself after Inginla both on AND off the ice.
Read my mind...

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:41 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Here is just one Everett fans opinion on a tips board...

I have been watching Beach's antics on the ice all season, and I am just sick of it!!! I agree with several people on the forum, that the poor officiating and Beach's behavior causing stupid penalties, caused us the game last night. It's time to see he is no longer an asset to the team. I find him selfish and hot-headed, and the Silvertips do not need this kind of player. I realize he has a lot of talent, and may be a great guy off the ice. Unfortunately he has created a monster within himself by his actions on the ice. The refs are not going to take his crap. He needs to keep his nose clean, and he has made it obvious he is unable to do that.
Think about it Everett! Players from other teams that have little to no respect by Everett fans, and some even hated, because of there punk behavior on the ice. Ex: Brulee;Vancouver, Hunt; Vancouver, Bruton; Spokane. These are, as Kyle Beach is, extremely skilled hockey players, but are considered punks by a majority of Everett fans, because of their brut and unsportmen like behavior on the ice. Do we really want the same type of player on our team? Do we want that reputation?
I just do not believe that the Everett organization has room for this kind of player. It's not the Everett way!
First round pick in the next NHL draft? I seriously doubt it. He's got the talent, but not the focus!!

Towards the end of their regular season fans were calling for him to be sent home. Thank god he didn't go to Vancouver!

Old
06-25-2008, 06:10 AM
lfchockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Not in love with this pick at all!!!! For the last umpteen years Tallon's been trying to convince hawks fans that every pick and every fa signing was done due to that players character and maturity etc(Dowd, Barnaby,etc).
Now after all that, he goes out and takes the player with the most character issues in the entire 08 draft with the 11th overall pick. ***!!!!!!
Hello Ty Jones 2.0!!!!!!
Regardless of his off-ice problems....have you all forgotten that he had a sports hernia and 2, count em', 2 concussions last year? Both from trying to fight and getting killed,now he says he wants to come in and "protect" other players by dropping the gloves. YIKES!!!!!
The one thing about Beach's character is that in the Hawks interviews with him, he was very open and honest and took responsability for his actions. I haven't seen it, but apparently his post draft interview was done in the same fashion when they brought up his character issues.

Tallon had a good interview on day two of the draft when they asked him about his philosophy on character and why they would go after someone like Beach. You can check it out on the cbh.com
Sorry, I don't have a direct link

Old
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
fourLEAFclover

Good pick for the hawks

So hes had a few incidents.... I'm not even sure what really (does anyone know why hes labeled a head case?) I've heard he even got into trouble with the law. Anyways I'm sure he'll smarten up considering hes still young, who didn't get into trouble when they were younger. And like some other posters were saying, we'll have great leadership on this team to put him in line.

fourLEAFclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
lfchockey*

Good point HG.
Heck.... even JT got in trouble with the law when he was at N. Dakota

Old
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
fourLEAFclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
Good point HG.
Heck.... even JT got in trouble with the law when he was at N. Dakota
Haha really? Doesn't seem like the type. He actually seems almost like a "goody goody" kid lol. You know what he did?

fourLEAFclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM
willfenix

Send a message via AIM to willfenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneChiefs View Post
Here is just one Everett fans opinion on a tips board...

I have been watching Beach's antics on the ice all season, and I am just sick of it!!! I agree with several people on the forum, that the poor officiating and Beach's behavior causing stupid penalties, caused us the game last night. It's time to see he is no longer an asset to the team. I find him selfish and hot-headed, and the Silvertips do not need this kind of player. I realize he has a lot of talent, and may be a great guy off the ice. Unfortunately he has created a monster within himself by his actions on the ice. The refs are not going to take his crap. He needs to keep his nose clean, and he has made it obvious he is unable to do that.
Think about it Everett! Players from other teams that have little to no respect by Everett fans, and some even hated, because of there punk behavior on the ice. Ex: Brulee;Vancouver, Hunt; Vancouver, Bruton; Spokane. These are, as Kyle Beach is, extremely skilled hockey players, but are considered punks by a majority of Everett fans, because of their brut and unsportmen like behavior on the ice. Do we really want the same type of player on our team? Do we want that reputation?
I just do not believe that the Everett organization has room for this kind of player. It's not the Everett way!
First round pick in the next NHL draft? I seriously doubt it. He's got the talent, but not the focus!!

Towards the end of their regular season fans were calling for him to be sent home. Thank god he didn't go to Vancouver!
The fact that this post was made in the heat of the moment after a crushing loss should take away most of it's credibility. Case in point of example of somebody playing the blame game after their team can't pull it off. Being the type of player he is, it is easy to blame the guy who is most visible as a pest and who is more likely to take the wrong penalties at the wrong times. Not only that, this is a second-hand post taken out of context from a person with the username 'SpokaneChiefs'. I'm sure that fans can have some qualm about his playing towards the end of the year, but if they wouldn't have lost that game, they wouldn't have even posted this. And on the other hand, he says 'First round pick in the next NHL draft? I seriously doubt it.' Well, guess what? 11th pick overall in the 1st round. Don't let a biased, second-hand post from spurned fan VIA a biased Spokane Chiefs fan effect your opinion of Beach, regardless of your what your opinion may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Hello Ty Jones 2.0!!!!!!
Again, if you want to put such a strong influence on his concussions, you need to at least pick your battles and realize that one of them was ********. A sucker-punch haymaker during a scrum does not constitute 'trying to fight and getting killed'. He's a pest who irritated Bruton enough to get suckerpunched. Don't imply 'injury prone' when you give stupid, unresearched reasons for saying it.

That being said, it seems like some of you are scoffing and looking for a reason to find a reason why he shouldn't have been picked where he was, and why he wasn't a good pick. I don't think he's going to be a dominant player right away necessarily but I think he's at least got a GOOD shot at making the team and that Tallon has something up his sleeve for Beach's role.

willfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:25 PM
lfchockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey God View Post
Haha really? Doesn't seem like the type. He actually seems almost like a "goody goody" kid lol. You know what he did?
As far as I know he got caught for drinking under age at a local n. Dakota bar

Old
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
The fact that this post was made in the heat of the moment after a crushing loss should take away most of it's credibility. Case in point of example of somebody playing the blame game after their team can't pull it off. Being the type of player he is, it is easy to blame the guy who is most visible as a pest and who is more likely to take the wrong penalties at the wrong times. Not only that, this is a second-hand post taken out of context from a person with the username 'SpokaneChiefs'. I'm sure that fans can have some qualm about his playing towards the end of the year, but if they wouldn't have lost that game, they wouldn't have even posted this. And on the other hand, he says 'First round pick in the next NHL draft? I seriously doubt it.' Well, guess what? 11th pick overall in the 1st round. Don't let a biased, second-hand post from spurned fan VIA a biased Spokane Chiefs fan effect your opinion of Beach, regardless of your what your opinion may be.
How did I take this out of context?

And note that this 1 game he's talking about was kind of important. Because of Beach's actions in that game cost them home ice in the 1st round, and assured them they'd be playing the 1-2 seed in the opening round. Everyone has rough games, thats expected. But with everything they had on the line, it was not the time or place...

And this was not just 1 TIPS fans opinion.
Read for yourself if you'd like... The game I'm talking about was March 14th.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/285837/page-6