HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit - 5:30

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit - 5:30

The next 7 games are against Conference rivals. This will make or break us. A win over the Wings would really give us the boost we need.

Game Notes: the Detroit News is reporting that Dandenault who normally plays defense might center a line with Steve Thomas and Darren McCarty...anyone think that they might be showcasing Dandenault as a center for a possible Oiler trade? it's no secret that the Wings covet several Oilers (including Smith, Brewer, Smyth and Laraque)...Legace will start for the Wings. Bret Hull missed 3 easy goals against the Avs on Saturday so watch out for him tonight.

injuries:
Edmonton - Ty Conklin, Brad Isbister, Marty Reasoner, Mike York, (Radek Dvorak?)

Detroit - Curtis Joseph, Dominik Hasek, Niklas Kronwall, Derian Hatcher and possibly Chris Chelios

we are going to need all lines going tonight to keep up with a hungry Detroit team that was blown out by the Avs on Saturday.

fearless prediction: Oilers W 4-3.
Edmonton goals by Bishai, Smyth, Laraque and Hemsky
Detroit goals by Shanahan, Hull (2)

TV coverage: Sportsnet West and FoxSportsNet

Old
02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Lowetide

This will be a huge test for Edmonton. They'll be tired, the Wings are grumpy, and if Tommy has a bad game it could be historic. Oilers will need to play desperate.

For those reasons, I bet it's very close.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:26 AM
goldenchild

I'm not sure why people keep calling these games make or break it was broken the sat night vs LA. there will be some ebb and floes where it will go down to 4 pts back or 9 or 10 pts back either way they will not be in the playoffs.

Det 5- Oil 1. York and Dvorak seem like the only 2 oilers capable of creating offence and with both out Oil have no chance against a team this good.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Obsessed

Its time for the plugger revolution!! If I remember correctly it was the Pisani, Horcoff and Moreau line that shone bright in the final 20 games of the season last year to get us into the playoffs.

The heart will go on long after the brain has fallen asleep. With all our "skill" on the shelf we will see what kind of heart this club has. My guess is that we will see a visciously competitive affair.

The Oilers laid a huge egg last time they were in Detroit. That will not sit well with the E-crew.

Oilers win huge and carry a hot torch to Colorado to begin what may be our most memorable comeback season to date!!

I STILL BELIEVE!!!!

Oilers 7 - Wings 2

Old
02-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Oilers Hockey

So Legace is their #1?

Quote:
The Oilers laid a huge egg last time they were in Detroit. That will not sit well with the E-crew.
The Oilers don't seem to care if they were embarrassed in previous games.

Just thinking about those games with Calgary & Nashville this year makes me sick - games they needed to win or least put in 100% effort - but the Oilers have proved they cannot compete with divisional rivals let alone conference ones.

Do the Oilers come out with something to prove after the 7-1 thrashing the Wings handed them last time?

No! When this year have we seen any indication that they actually cared about that stuff?

5-0 Wings.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Rooks Oilers

I took the OILERS by 2 goals on proline , so I say 3-1 OIL, Hemsky with empty netter!

Old
02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
zamboni

4-2 Wings.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Shanahan and Moreau drop them 2 minutes in...

Whichever teams player wins that fight wins the game.

Keep dropping the gloves boys... it hasn't hurt yet.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:28 AM
MoeLemayStays

I'ts going to be ugly boys. When I watched yesterdays game part of my sinking feeling was that they were going to face the wings today.

Then again it could be the jeckyl/hyde routine once again.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Italian Oiler

Send a message via ICQ to Italian Oiler Send a message via MSN to Italian Oiler
Unfortunately, Chicken Wings will win... by 2 or 3 goals...

Old
02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
TheFranchise83

I can't see a tired oilers team winning this one. Too many "stars" are out for them and Detroit is gonna come out firing on all cylinders. 4-1 Detroit........ Oilers score a late one to ruin legace's shutout.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Hemmer

The Edmonton Oilers have announced the signings of Jari Kurri, Esa Tikkanen, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Lee Fogolin and Dave Hunter.
General Manager Kevin Lowe says the decision to sign these players came after it was determined that RW's Brad Isbister and Radek Dvorak would be lost to the team for up to a month with injuries to ankle and groin respectively. Lowe notes that these names will be very familiar to Oilers fans, and should add several dimensions to the attack. In Lowe’s words, “Jari is in the rafters, along with Fuhr. Esa and Glennie can still play, and obviously, as seen by the Heritage Classic, Billy and Grant should solve our goaltending troubles. Lee, *sniff* my old partner, he should help stabilize the defence. Davey is that big-body presence we need down low. This is a rare opportunity for us to re-acquire some of the best offensive talents in the history of the game, and we look forward to seeing them back in an Oilers jersey.”

All of these players have maintained his fitness level with intensive off-ice workouts since the end of last season and the Heritage Classic, and all are excited about getting back on the ice. Anderson says; “I haven’t been able to get much ice time of course, but I don’t think it will take me too long to get back to game shape. This is very exciting, being part of this team again."

Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Hunter, Fogolin, Fuhr and Ranford will be inserted into the lineup immediately. Salo will be scratched and Mike Morrison returned to the Toronto Roadrunners to make room in net. Grant Fuhr is expected to start against Detroit on Monday night, with Ranford as the back-up. Kurri will take Isbister's place and Anderson will take Radek Dvorak's. Both Isbister and Dvorak will be placed on the IR. Coach Craig MacTavish reports, "I had to go get a bigger blender with the signings of these guys, but I look forward to throwing them into the mix against Detroit. Finally, some veteran players I can count on that actually have some skill, you know? Oh, wait...umm, don't quote that last bit...anyway, yeah, the other great aspect to this news is that we don't have to be forced into playing Jani Rita. Like what has that guy done to deserve a shot?"

The Oilers will meet Detroit at the Joe, 1730MST.
Bring your octopi.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Bergy is in tonight.

ferguson and cross are out.

Rita is supposed to play if nothing change and maybe ferguson will play forward. Gametime decision.

Trust me i'm not kidding

Old
02-16-2004, 12:20 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Bergy is in tonight.

Rita is supposed to play if nothing change and maybe ferguson will play forward. Gametime decision.

Trust me i'm not kidding
Holy schmokes... Thanks for the info Goon.

You know you're desperate if you're thinking about playing Scott Ferguson at forward. I wonder why Cross is out, is he hurt?

Old
02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
momentai

Quote:
Bergy is in tonight.

Trust me i'm not kidding
Geez... it's undecided if we play Ferguson in a forward position over Rita? The MacT axes are going to come out full force if that situation arises. Mindboggling is what it is. Mindboggling.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Geez... it's undecided if we play Ferguson in a forward position over Rita? The MacT axes are going to come out full force if that situation arises. Mindboggling is what it is. Mindboggling.

I'm feeling dizzy

Old
02-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Hemmer

Quote:

maybe ferguson will play forward.
How?
He can hardly play defence...

You know what the scariest thing is? I didn't, not even for a second, doubt you Goon. Wouldn't suprise me in the least to see MacT dress Scott Ferguson as a forward over Jani.

How can Lowe see that and not fire MacT right then and there?

Somebody go get MacT "coaching for dummies"

or even, some little wooden blocks with letters on them.

Something.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Sparkles

According to the information I got, both Bergeron and Rita will play tonight. I'm almost 100% sure this information is accurate.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
According to the information I got, both Bergeron and Rita will play tonight. I'm almost 100% sure this information is accurate.
That's what came out of the morning skate. But, you know MacT....

Ferguson at forward remains a possibility.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Yanner39

Well, Scott Ferguson is a beautiful skater. I don't see what the problem is. All you guys questioning MacT are on dope.

Seriously, this entire season is amazing for all the wrong reasons. I say 3-2 Detroit. Ferguson is confused and scores on a breakaway by beating Salo short side.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:02 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

ouch is all i can say if ferguson plays as a forward. put him and oates on a line together, oh no the blinding speed. anyhou, 6-3 for the wings. whos next on the injury list, hhhhmm how about smyttie.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I hope you guys smash the red wings. I'm also a part-time oilers fan. good luck!

Old
02-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
ouch is all i can say if ferguson plays as a forward. put him and oates on a line together, oh no the blinding speed. anyhou, 6-3 for the wings. whos next on the injury list, hhhhmm how about smyttie.
How about Salo? I'd hate to be Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk and co. and see Morrison and Valiquette role into town.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Hemmer

Valiquette is hurt.

Morrison and Rossco.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Obsessed

www.sportsnet.ca

Notes: Brad Isbister re-injured his sprained ankle on Sunday. He's been placed on IR, meaning he's out a minimum of one week ... Radek Dvorak and Raffi Torres will not play while goaltender Ty Conklin has been placed on IR as well ... The Oilers called up Marc Andrea Bergeron and Jani Rita from the AHL's Toronto Roadrunners and they will both dress for tongiht's game versus detroit.

Raffi? Why!!!

Closed Thread