HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weight on the block in STL

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 09:53 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
Weight on the block in STL

would anyone want to take him back if STL would pay enough to get Weight's salary down to about 5 mil a year?

Or is he simply too old for this team, regardless of trade cost?

You'd have to "deal" with the salary implications of having an 8 mil man on your roster, but realistically speaking EDM probably won't be too close to a cap anyways and even if they are they'd only have to tough it out for a couple of years( Weight is only signed for 2 more seasons past this one.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
creative giant*

Even if the bues did eat 3.5 million dollars off his contract (which is a longshot), that still leaves us with a 4.9 million dollar tab. I think it comes down to what Weight wants. If he wants to become an edmonton oiler again, he can make it happen, but if he still hasn't got enough dough, or still thinks the blues can win a cup, there's no chance.

personally, i'd love to see him back here. we'd finally have a #1 centre again

Old
02-16-2004, 10:28 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Two more years of Weight, where do I sign?

Weight and a 4th

for

Isbister, Bergeron, and a 3rd

Old
02-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Rooks Oilers

I'll start the chant "DOUGIE, DOUGIE, DOUGIE"

Smytty Weight Hemsky- Don't forget Dougie can score so this combo would be DEADLY!!!

Old
02-16-2004, 11:02 AM
zamboni

As much as I'd love to have him back here, he'd need to agree to restructer his contract. Besides, I don't see KL giving up youth to get him back...

Old
02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
MoeLemayStays

I've been to two St. Louis games this year. He is so incredible and alone would revive a powerplay. I don't think he's moving anywhere.

He won't ever play small market Canadian again

Old
02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyouverymuch
I've been to two St. Louis games this year. He is so incredible and alone would revive a powerplay. I don't think he's moving anywhere.

He won't ever play small market Canadian again
Is that you, Doug? No one knows what he is thinking, for all we know he's already packed his bags and is heading back to the river city as we're speaking

Old
02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Lowetide

Since they haven't replaced him since he left, imo it's something to look at, although the dollars are massive. I'm not ripping the trade (the return was pretty good imo, Hecht, Reasoner and Horacek, based on how the Roenick signing affected his market value), but Weight's shoes still aren't filled.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:34 AM
windowlicker

This would be a dream, but in the real world its not going to happen. St.Louis is not going to eat salary on this thing, Larry Pleu is not in the "Helping Oilers" business. And if they do consider Weight's contract the white albatross around their necks right now, and are willing to eat some of his remaining $$, there are more than a few teams around willing to outbid us for a true #1 playmaker that would require less eating of the remaining $$ in order to facilitate a trade. The only thing that would make this even remotely possible is Weight coming to Pleau and saying "Hey, I know youre shopping me, I'd want to go back to Edmonton." As much as he enjoyed his years here, we know what the odds are of a proffesional athlete doing something like that.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
SerbianEagle

Hell Yes.

Ryan-Doug-Ales
Raffi-Mike-Radek

Looks nice doesn't it?

Old
02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
MrMackey

Why would Dougie want to come back... on one hand there's some familiarity with the organization and the fans would welcome him back with open arms.

But in terms of the team itself, a lot has changed here and many of the core guys that he was friends with are gone (Guerin, Grier, Marchant...). Only Smyth and Smith are part of that old core that are left, and both are rumoured to be on the block themselves.

I would bet that if asks to go anywhere it would be Detroit (where he's from), Dallas (to be reunited with Guerin), or the Rangers (for all the reasons other high-profile players love going there).

Old
02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
those are good points Mackey but Edmonton does offer him one thing that the others don't. If Weight comes here he'll be treated like a king off the ice now its up to him if he misses that or wants that or doesn't want that.

Does he still have property in Edmonton or did he used to live in one of Bucky's houses?

Old
02-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Izzy4Real

Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, and Jan Horacek
FOR
Doug Weight and Micheal Riesen

Any takers?

I wouldn't do it...

Doug Weight (as much as I love him) is a pipedream and step in the wrong direction... the playoffs are still within reach but it looks less likely every game, we are largely a team in re-build mode and would likely have to trade vital pieces of the future core to get him back. And what does he accomplish? Moves us a few spots up the standings but still out of the playoffs, and makes our PP better while costing us way too much money and gutting our future.

I love him to death and under the right terms would kill to see him back with the Oilers but this would be Lowe doing the exact opposite of his plans and moves the last few years.

If we are trading for ayone on the Blues lets get Jackman! (Also a pipedream but meh)

Old
02-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy4Real
Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, and Jan Horacek
FOR
Doug Weight and Micheal Riesen

Any takers?

I wouldn't do it...

Doug Weight (as much as I love him) is a pipedream and step in the wrong direction... the playoffs are still within reach but it looks less likely every game, we are largely a team in re-build mode and would likely have to trade vital pieces of the future core to get him back. And what does he accomplish? Moves us a few spots up the standings but still out of the playoffs, and makes our PP better while costing us way too much money and gutting our future.

I love him to death and under the right terms would kill to see him back with the Oilers but this would be Lowe doing the exact opposite of his plans and moves the last few years.

If we are trading for ayone on the Blues lets get Jackman! (Also a pipedream but meh)
Good post. I like Weight and he would address our #1 centre needs. He's still not terribly old (32) but his contract of $8.5 million dollars!!! is absolutely ridiculous! His salary is almost double what our first line costs (Dvo - 2, York - 2, Torres - 0.8). Is his contract up after this year? If he becomes a UFA and is willing to be paid like $3.5 million then I would suggest that EDM does it but I just don't see that happening.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:42 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

have to agree weight will be always be one of my all time favorite oilers however there is no point trading for him. yes he would solve our centreman position however he would not solve our salary concerns.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:47 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't really see Weight going anywhere to be honest. Only salary dumping teams trade guys like him.

He'd cost a lot (not only in salary, but also in what a team would have to part with to obtain him), but he's a guy who's shown he can carry a team on his back, and doesn't seem to be slipping. If St. Louis would take on 3.5 of that 8.5 million, I'd be willing to part with quite a bit to get him.

Isbister would be a guy I could see them go for (young and big with untapped potential). - there's 2 million right there

Given the state of their D, Smith would be on their radar too - another $3 million

Add a first/second rounder, and their money will be well spent.

Of course, like I said, Weight likely isn't going anywhere. And if he does, it won't be to Edmonton.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Matts

I don't think he'd want to come back

but it would the kind of player we'd need in another centre to help out York until, if at all, MAP and Jesse are ready to help the big club.

But I can't see him taking a cut and I wonder what it would take to get him. If I was Pleau I'd be looking for a young centre and the Oilers have none of those unless.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:34 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but it would the kind of player we'd need in another centre to help out York until, if at all, MAP and Jesse are ready to help the big club.

But I can't see him taking a cut and I wonder what it would take to get him. If I was Pleau I'd be looking for a young centre and the Oilers have none of those unless.
He wouldn't be taking a cut, and to be brutally honest, it doesn't matter what he thinks.

He is under contract, and therefore means he has no choice but to go where he is traded.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:35 PM
t0mf00lery

I don't want Weight back. He's getting old, injury-prone, and he costs a fortune. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly or NYR go after him.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Mr Sakich

Doug has 3 years left at 8.5 mill per year. That is an extrordinairy amount and it no longer makes sense in today's NHL.

8.5 mill / 46 games / 17,000 people per game works out to an additional $10.86 per ticket. This assumes every game is sold out, including pre-season. That is $500 extra per season ticket.

Old
02-16-2004, 04:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
He is under contract, and therefore means he has no choice but to go where he is traded.
Please tell me your joking...You actually think the player has no choice to go where he is traded? ESPECIALLY big name guys like Weight... GM's talk to the players before and ask them about where they are going...and if they arnt going to be happy then there is no way lowe would trade for them...

Old
02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
Please tell me your joking...You actually think the player has no choice to go where he is traded? ESPECIALLY big name guys like Weight... GM's talk to the players before and ask them about where they are going...and if they arnt going to be happy then there is no way lowe would trade for them...
That is up to the GM (whether or not they want a player who may or not want to be there), not the player. The GM's may choose to ask, but at the end of the day it is up to the team, not the player.

Old
02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Two more years of Weight, where do I sign?

Weight and a 4th

for

Isbister, Bergeron, and a 3rd
Ouch! Overpay!

Love to have Weight back but not for that. If St. Louis is eating his contract then they are desperate to get rid of him. That means we send them Horcoff only.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Matts

Well

DB he might very well have a no trade clause.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That is up to the GM (whether or not they want a player who may or not want to be there), not the player. The GM's may choose to ask, but at the end of the day it is up to the team, not the player.
...And the American president can veto any proposed bill he wants too...What kind of a GM would want a player to play for him if hes not going to be happy? If they arnt happy they arnt going to give 150% and play every shift like it was the most important of the season...GM's will NOT trade for guys that dont want to be there....

Closed Thread