HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin To Montreal Rumors Part 2 (includes potential lines)

View Poll Results: Which prospects will be moved?
Grabo 134 57.76%
O'byrne 26 11.21%
Stewart 12 5.17%
R. Mcdonagh 8 3.45%
P. Pacioretty 8 3.45%
Chipchura 42 18.10%
Maxwell 14 6.03%
Halak 18 7.76%
Subban 13 5.60%
Webber 11 4.74%
D'agostini 46 19.83%
Yemelin 13 5.60%
Valentenko 9 3.88%
Olivier Fortier 11 4.74%
1st rounder in 2010 37 15.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
NO!

The value of giving something up for the window with Sundin is simply that we have time to form a Plan B instead of scrambling on July 1st-2nd.

However, there is REALLY no need to give up a lot to a team to get an impending UFA who can leave for nothing in a few days, and there is not much residual VALUE to pay the former team because in a UFA context, you already pay the player full market value.

The most I would give up would be a prospect who has already failed to move to the top of our list (Graboski or Locke, for instance), or a flip of draft picks to Toronto's advantage.
I'm not asking if he was a ufa...but if had 2 years left.

Old
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Bullsmith

Higgins MUST not be traded. He's our most flexible and versatile forward, can play on any of the top three lines and excel, and at a cap hit of 1.7 million is a bargain. Just all the speculation about him going is making me ill.

Old
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Garp

I really think that there will be a player involved in this trade because if it was only a pick, Gainey woul have said that it's a conditionnal 2nd or 1rst or something... No need to hide this.
But if it's a player and Sundin decides to retire and this player is not traded, Gainey sure doesn't want this player to know he was traded...
I really think it will be Chipchura going the other way, maybe with the rights to Ryder or Streit...

Old
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If he had two years left on a contract that was NOT BELOW market value, he would have little trade value.

That's how it works in a cap world.

Guys who are paid well below market value have terrific trade value (example Cammaleri)

Guys paid a little below market value have only fair trade value (example Jokinen)

Guys paid at market value are tradeable only to a few parties in the right circumstances (example Brad Richards)

Guys paid over market value have no trade value (example Dandenault)

Old
06-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Bermy

I hope Higgins isn't traded

Old
06-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
I hope Higgins isn't traded
I seriously doubt he would.

Old
06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Did he ask for a trade? Who else is trying to trade for him? Did he specify which teams he'll waive his NTC to go to?

...so according to your hypothetic situation, Sundin demands a trade out of Toronto, will only go to Montreal...and you think we're going to give up Higgins to get him?

Old
06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
anarmandaleb

Did he get Tanguay so the team could afford to lose Higgins?

Oh I wanna throw up now...

Old
06-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think Baseball Coach is probably right that it's just consideration for Gainey not to be handcuffed on July 1st. In other words, it's just that Gainey wants to go for his Plan A before July 1st so that he'll be able to go for his Plan B on July 1st.

But if there is a bigger deal behind all of this with Higgins involved, I think it has to be for Kaberle.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:01 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post

*rubs back*

There there, my dear....there, there.

Everything will be ok

Old
06-22-2008, 12:05 PM
giovanni

Quote:

He is not trading Higgins to for the right to talk to Sundin. Thee most Toronto will get is a pick and that is it. TSN said that they believe they if Sundin signs in MTL, a second round pick will go to Toronto.

So Higgins is safe.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:11 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
No way Higgins is a part of this deal, it also states that the leafs will get the 09 first rounder. I would be more willing to trade that away, problem is the draft next year is in Montreal, I just don't see the habs trading that pick away. It's a big year not having a first rounder would be a big deal. It won't happen, most likely Mackenzie is the the closest to the right deal.
No way they gonna trade their first pick in 09. And they won't trade Higgins either.

A second round pick + MAYBE a guy like Chipchura OR Grabovski OR Maxwell is more than plenty.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
LOL @ everyone who thinks we're sending Higgins for a 10 day period to maybe sign Sundin....

maybe a 2nd rounder in like 2010 (since we have none next year) and/or a B level prospect (Grabs, Maxwell, Locke...)
LOL to you. Do you understand the concept of the deal? They didn't trade anything for the 10-day period and if Sundin doesn't sign they give up nothing. If Sundin signs then the will complete a transaction that has already been agreed to.

Fletcher admitted he was the one who called Montreal, not vice versa.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
If what they are saying about signing Brian Campbell before July 1st is true, then Toronto should not expect more than Montreal's 2nd or 3rd, if Sundin signs.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Let me get this straight, we gave up our first rounder this year(25th overall) and a 2nd rounder next year to CGY for Tanguay, a heads up trade.
Now, for the RIGHTS TO TALK to Sundin, were supposed to trade away a 27 Goal scorer last year? or one of our most promising prospects???..
I often wonder how certain people's brain work...
On 110% they were all saying Higgins, Fisher..it really frustrates me to see how dumb these guys can be yet be on TV and make great money.

Nobody would ever trade a roster player for the Rights to Talk to a player, that's completely ridiculous.
It was already rumored that Sundin had interest in staying close to TO if he were to sign elsewhere, there's a week left before UFA. I don't see how one would pay so high when he could simply wait for a week to talk to him.

Especially if we look at what we gave for Tanguay, I don't expect to see much given back to TO for the RIGHTS TO TALK to Sundin.
A compensation is not an established roster player, one of your assistant captains. A pick or 2 is more like it, or a low prospect.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
*rubs back*

There there, my dear....there, there.

Everything will be ok
using Chris for attention

Old
06-22-2008, 12:25 PM
anarmandaleb

If Fletcher was the one who called Montreal he had someone in mind he wanted. So the player's either right off the roster or one of the prospects who's just about to make it onto the roster.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Let me get this straight, we gave up our first rounder this year(25th overall) and a 2nd rounder next year to CGY for Tanguay, a heads up trade.
Now, for the RIGHTS TO TALK to Sundin, were supposed to trade away a 27 Goal scorer last year? or one of our most promising prospects???..
I often wonder how certain people's brain work...
On 110% they were all saying Higgins, Fisher..it really frustrates me to see how dumb these guys can be yet be on TV and make great money.

Nobody would ever trade a roster player for the Rights to Talk to a player, that's completely ridiculous.
It was already rumored that Sundin had interest in staying close to TO if he were to sign elsewhere, there's a week left before UFA. I don't see how one would pay so high when he could simply wait for a week to talk to him.

Especially if we look at what we gave for Tanguay, I don't expect to see much given back to TO for the RIGHTS TO TALK to Sundin.
A compensation is not an established roster player, one of your assistant captains. A pick or 2 is more like it, or a low prospect.
couldn't have said it better myself...the Habs hold all the cards here

Old
06-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
If Fletcher was the one who called Montreal he had someone in mind he wanted. So the player's either right off the roster or one of the prospects who's just about to make it onto the roster.
Father time can ask for whatever he wants, Bob and the Toronto media has him by his short, white curlies.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:34 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
couldn't have said it better myself...the Habs hold all the cards here
Also Gainey was saying something about us having several players playing the same role. How many 3rd/4th liners do we have? Is there any room for someone like Stewart now? Maybe at most it's him.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Ghost of Saku

Good news.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2414...=topStory_main

it's being suggested all we're giving up is a 2nd rounder

Old
MrNasty

Quote:
Maybe, but not necessarily. I would actually prefer it be a guy like Grabovsky because he has no chance of playing next year igf the Habs add 2 offensive forwards. Fletcher knew he was going to lose Sundin for nothing so he called Montreal and said Sundin wants to go with you, what can you give me so you don't get into a bidding war on July 1st? No way is it Higgins.

Old
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I just hope it's not Valentenko

Old
06-22-2008, 12:39 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Also Gainey was saying something about us having several players playing the same role. How many 3rd/4th liners do we have? Is there any room for someone like Stewart now? Maybe at most it's him.
If anything Stewart has probably secured himself a roster spot on the 4th or in the stands. He is cheap and Montreal will not be able to add any experienced checkers with the money they are giving Tanguay, Sundin (maybe) and Sr. Kostitsyn. The rest of the roster will likely be call-ups.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
If anything Stewart has probably secured himself a roster spot on the 4th or in the stands. He is cheap and Montreal will not be able to add any experienced checkers with the money they are giving Tanguay, Sundin (maybe) and Sr. Kostitsyn. The rest of the roster will likely be call-ups.
Oh I know and I like him too. It's just that if Toronto asked fo a young guy, I'd rather give up Stewart then Chipchura, for example.

Anyway, as it's suggested, we're probably only sending a pick.

Closed Thread